ArgSki77 Reverses Direction

ArgSki77

4 minutes ago, raptron said:

Last time I walked from the T to the main campus of UMB, I got lost and wound up having to climb a fence because I was running late. It is definitely more active than one would expect to get there. XD 

You are aware that UMB runs a free shuttle from JFK/UMass red line stop to the main campus buildings right?!?

The walk I had was from Davis Square to my apartment which is mostly uphill that direction especially near Tufts. It was colder than I expected it was going to be once it was dark.

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1

Now I do...

lNxW6.gif

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

1 hour ago, ArgSki77 said:

You are aware that UMB runs a free shuttle from JFK/UMass red line stop to the main campus buildings right?!?

The walk I had was from Davis Square to my apartment which is mostly uphill that direction especially near Tufts. It was colder than I expected it was going to be once it was dark.

11 minutes ago, raptron said:

Now I do...

lNxW6.gif

ahahahaha! too good.

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

23 minutes ago, raptron said:

Now I do...

Just saving you some future fence hopping in case you ever need to go back to UMB. I hope that I dont have to anytime soon...its a seriously bad spot to get to. If the best option is take a train and then a shuttle because almost all on-campus parking was removed to make more buildings, you might have some problems. I guess that's what happens when you build a school out on a peninsula and then decide to expand later.

• Like 1

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

Cold is receding a little bit. I was going to be lazy and call into work just to have an extra day off for my weekend since I have tomorrow off normally but I couldn't justify it because I am not that sick. Plus I have that little kid thing going on where when I was growing up and we felt "sick" my mom said we could skip school but then we would have to miss evening activities like friends house or hockey practice. Apparently that mindset was instilled in me because that thought crossed my mind this morning. I would have felt guilty calling in sick and then going out to see Star Wars tonight. But now I am at work just dying to get out of here because STAR WARS TONIGHT!!!

Food is still slightly improving. Just under my calorie goal from yesterday. Certainly not the healthiest of foods but under control with portions for the most part.

Weight was still the same this morning. Back in the gym tomorrow for deadlifts but certainly not at the 6am class. Likely going to go to an open gym session in the afternoon because Star Wars is at 10:30 tonight so a ~1am bedtime and 6am workout dont mix well especially coming off a cold. Really wanted to go skiing tomorrow on my day off but the high temp in NH tomorrow is 3 degrees...even I have my limits because that would mean -10 or so at the top likely. Brrrrrrr. Isnt winter the best?!?

• Like 5

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

good choices! i totally do that as well with evening activities. i guess it sets us apart from the typical millennials though?

and another good choices with no skiing. you are recuperating! from a COLD! :P 

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

My mom had a similar rule.  If we missed at all during the week we were homebound for the whole weekend.

Enjoy Rogue One.  I'll be seeing it tomorrow night.  Can't freaking wait. 

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

We also have that rule. We've expanded it to include, "if you have had so much homework through the week that you can't take a turn washing dishes, you have too much homework to get to do 'x'" - where 'x' is child dependent. (Note: at our house, "doing homework" involves a lot of Snapchat and Facetime. Also, the requirement is one night of dishes a week, so it's not like they can't switch days to correspond with not as much homework).

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

Cold is receding a little bit. I was going to be lazy and call into work just to have an extra day off for my weekend since I have tomorrow off normally but I couldn't justify it because I am not that sick. Plus I have that little kid thing going on where when I was growing up and we felt "sick" my mom said we could skip school but then we would have to miss evening activities like friends house or hockey practice. Apparently that mindset was instilled in me because that thought crossed my mind this morning. I would have felt guilty calling in sick and then going out to see Star Wars tonight. But now I am at work just dying to get out of here because STAR WARS TONIGHT!!!

Food is still slightly improving. Just under my calorie goal from yesterday. Certainly not the healthiest of foods but under control with portions for the most part.

Weight was still the same this morning. Back in the gym tomorrow for deadlifts but certainly not at the 6am class. Likely going to go to an open gym session in the afternoon because Star Wars is at 10:30 tonight so a ~1am bedtime and 6am workout dont mix well especially coming off a cold. Really wanted to go skiing tomorrow on my day off but the high temp in NH tomorrow is 3 degrees...even I have my limits because that would mean -10 or so at the top likely. Brrrrrrr. Isnt winter the best?!?

My mom did that too.

Glad the cold is starting to recede. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

On 12/12/2016 at 5:09 PM, ArgSki77 said:

So I am severely lacking in this whole challenge update department. I am silently plugging away at my challenge goals though which is pretty good.

Hey guess what? I'm all caught up! I've been slacking in the getting around department myself... but hey yo, so long as the work is getting done! And it sounds like you've been ill, all the more reason to pull back a bit. 

On 12/12/2016 at 5:09 PM, ArgSki77 said:

I reallyyyy did not want to drop that dumbell on my head which I came very close to doing multiple times. So after the failed attempts, I dropped the weight back down to 90lbs and had a success there for a new PR by 25lbs.

That's all I see with those things... scares me to death! Even though yours are quite the snappy dressers LOL I've said it before but those things are AWESOME (And... I personally have that flat skull fear experience with... 30# DB lol)

nba171q.gif

On 12/14/2016 at 1:45 PM, ArgSki77 said:

So if Saturday was a great workout, this morning was lower than low. Thought yesterday that my cold was gone for the most part but it came back with a vengeance when I woke up this morning.

22 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

Cold is receding a little bit.

Ugh sick workouts when you think you're better but you're not... the worst! And sad :( Glad to hear it's on the up and up!

I would have felt guilty calling in sick and then going out to see Star Wars tonight. But now I am at work just dying to get out of here because STAR WARS TONIGHT!!!

Hehehe I totally get that.

Every little step!

Remember last year when NYC and south got massive snow and it was like 60 up here? (Did you have that phenom too?) Today is capping in at  "feels like 1F" I am not a happy camper. Hope it warms up enough for some holiday slopes! (For you... I'll be in the lodge)

HFxYueJ.gif

• Like 1

Seems like this 4 day weekend update is turning into a common occurrence for this challenge. But none the less here is whats been going on the last few days.

Thursday night was Rogue One. Thoroughly enjoyed it but also understand how some people might not have liked it. There was enough logic and awesome scenes that made it a worthwhile addition to me.

Friday I was still sick. Ran some errands in the morning and then powered through heavy deadlift day. Surprised myself a bit with the results of that workout. I was writing out my numbers for deadlifs which was the 5,3,1 rep sets with 75,85, and 95% weight and I was thinking no way would those weights be possible with the head cold I was battling. But sure enough 5x350, 3x400, and 1x445 went up without much issue. Sure the 400lbs set felt harder than a standard day of repping that weight but it was manageable. Here is the video of the 445 pull which in that time felt like it was much more of a grind than it appears in the video. Also, really pumped to see some bar bend in this video which I haven't noticed at previous weights.

After deadlifts I did @Broba Fett's favorite conditioning set, except that I used the correct rep scheme...still pretty sucky especially with a cold.

Coach is now calling this "Rowed Kill":

400m Row

15 Steel Club Barbarian Chop - 20lbs

15 Box Jumps - 24"

15 KB Swings - 20kg

300m Row

12 Steel Club Barbarian Chop - 20lbs

12 Box Jumps - 24"

12 KB Swings - 20kg

200m Row

9 Steel Club Barbarian Chop - 20lbs

9 Box Jumps - 24"

9 KB Swings - 20kg

100m Row

6 Steel Club Barbarian Chop - 20lbs

6 Box Jumps - 24"

6 KB Swings - 20kg

Saturday was the Flip-O-Thon for Family Reach. The format was teams of 4 flipping the 420lb tire for 5 minutes. That sounded to me like it would not be the worst but it was far worse than I imagined. I have concluded that 5 minutes is pushing the time limit for maximum effort under load like that. Our team managed 93 flips in the 5 minute span. Doing the math, its equivalent to something like 40ish 200lb cleans in 5 minutes. My arms are pretty bruised up and I am still sore but but all that effort was worth it...we raised almost $7000 for Family Reach who supports families that have children battling cancer so they don't have to worry about financial burdens of everyday life and can focus solely on getting their child better.

Saturday night we had a holiday party at our apartment which was really fun. Over indulged with snacks and alcohol a bit which led to Sunday being a really lazy day. Did not wake up until almost 10:30 and then spent the day being hungover and eating dinner at my fiance's moms house. One good thing is that the party pretty much left us with enough food for the week that I can portion out and make some healthy meals out of. Fiance made homemade hummus and tzatziki for the party and so I get to have that with veggies for a snack this week and they are my favorite. The hummus is roasted red pepper and its super low fat and delicious. With all the food, it means I don't really even need to meal prep much this week. All I need to do is make some breakfast egg muffins so I don't have to have protein shakes like I did this morning.

Food over the weekend was a bit too on the junky side but hoping to recover that this week. Average weight last week was 325.2lbs which is a slight(0.3lb) increase on average. Bit disappointed I am not seeing a drop but not too surprised because the eating and tracking has been slacking. A great deal of eating has been snacking on apps and other little things which is so hard to track so I just stop. I have been trying to be mindful but that is not always as successful as I hoped. Just trying to get through the holidays now with a net loss and then really hammer down on diet following those. Fiance is really buttoning up her diet now so that helps me keep on track as well which is an advantage in my favor.

Got in all my knee prehab work and mobility stuff. Still keeping up with the glucosamine for my knees and the Nova3 Labs supplements have been helping me feel really good, especially during workouts. I have been skeptical in the past about hormone balance having that much of an impact but I think its safe to say I do notice differences due to the adrenal supplementation I have been taking, as well as the alpha gpc capacity supps.

Spoiler

Food

☑☑☑☑☑☑☐ Zero Week MFP Tracking - Avg Cals: 2690/2600

☑☑☑☑☐☐ Week 1 MFP Tracking - Avg Cals: 2705/2600

☑☑☑☑☐☐☐ Week 2 MFP Tracking - Avg Cals: 2800/2600

☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ Week 3 MFP Tracking - Avg Cals: 0/2600

☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ Week 4 MFP Tracking - Avg Cals: 0/2600

☐ Batch Prep Each Week

Weight

Net Loss Zero Week

Net Loss Week One

☐ Net Loss Week Two

☐ Net Loss Week Three

☐ Net Loss Week Four

Fitness

☑☑☑☐ Zero Week Activity

☑☑☑☐ Week One Activity

Week Two Activity

☐☐☐☐ Week Three Activity

☐☐☐☐ Week Four Activity

Prehab/Mobility

☑☑ Zero Week Knee Work

☑☑ Week 1 Knee Work

☑☑ Week 2 Knee Work

☐☐ Week 3 Knee Work

☐☐ Week 4 Knee Work

☑☑☑☑☑☑☑ Zero Week Supplements

☑☑☑☑ Week 1 Supplements

☑☑☑☑☑☑☑ Week 2 Supplements

☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ Week 3 Supplements

☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ Week 4 Supplements

• Like 4

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

Sounds like a super fun weekend!

Tire flipping always sounds so fun :)

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

awesome job staying on top of everything last week while battling a cold! i would definitely take maintaining weight during the holidays as a win, so a loss would be a super duper win. :D 

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Tire flipping always sounds so fun :)

It sounds like it...but then it becomes not so fun so very fast. I actually prefer to challenge the weight on the tires rather than do more reps.

I would rather attempt to flip @raptron's favorite friend Baby Huey(my gym's 640lb tire) by myself (which I think with correct technique is certainly possible) than do 20 flips of the 420lb tire. Its almost like a puzzle trying to figure out how to get your hands rotated midflip and drive through to generate that leverage with your legs. Lots of reps with a heavy tire can be a bit too draining on my CNS to be something worth while. Its pretty good deadlift or weightlifting accessory to work on that quick reaction time in a chain of movements and transfer of motion if done right but there is a lot of variation. Its also hard find tires of set weight. We have a smaller ones that are like 280lbs and 340lbs I think but its not easy to cover something in between so stuck with 60-100lb jumps in size.

• Like 2

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

Every time I see tire flipping I start thinking how awesome to be the tire? But it would have to be like 6 of us holding on really tight so maybe that wouldn't be so fun. I'm not so sure about doing the flipping... I think it's clear I'd rather watch strongman than do it!! RAWR!

• Like 1

I sure wouldn't want to do the deadlift on the Friday and then the tire flips on Saturday. That sounds like a brutal combo. 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

35 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I sure wouldn't want to do the deadlift on the Friday and then the tire flips on Saturday. That sounds like a brutal combo.

I had to spend a lot of time doing mobility beforehand before tires. Really wanted to make sure that my back was loose before the rapid fast movement. I did a bunch of foam rolling of the AT band, glutes and back then did some hand to hand KB swings with a light KB for a little while. Its significantly more manageable with a second person helping flip the 420. I can do it like 10 times on my own without needing a break. The only thing I didnt like about having 2 people was that you were slightly offset from the center of the tire so it was a bit awkward because my left side was getting tired.

33 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Or a recipe for ass DOMS.

Lots of foam rolling prevented this! I got lucky, my friend was complaining of that the next day. I am just kind of generally sore but the thing thats the worst is both my biceps are pretty bruised up...left side more than the right because the left was doing the bulk since it was on the middle side of the tire. Here is a current picture of my left arm which has receded a good amount. Note this doesn't happen all the time when doing tires but rather a result of quick repeated motions to do the flips as fast as possible.

Spoiler

eq6jvT8.jpg

• Like 4

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

So today is interesting. Its 3pm and I may or may not be fully through my entire calorie allotment already...stupid holiday office potluck and your deliciously unhealthy options. But I am very satisfied despite those treats and FINALLY feeling better from my cold today.

Super weird thing happening though with my foot. Incredibly painful left big toe today. It was minorly hurting this morning when I got up and gotten worse as the day went on to the point where I had to take advil. This has happened once before a year or so ago and I wasted a day at urgent care thinking I broke my foot and they said nothing at all was wrong so not going to go that route again as of now but its pretty brutal when I flex the toe in certain ways. I have a feeling it has to do with an odd case of getting my foot tangled up when I am asleep in and the blanket twisting it in a weird direction and maybe pinching a nerve or something. Hopefully it recedes soon. Luckily its nothing that will stop bench press tomorrow morning! Looking forward to the gym as the crappy eating has made me a bit sluggish. This is quickly turning into a holiday bulk. At least my lifts are all seeing increases?!?

Talking with my coach tomorrow hopefully to set a full on training plan for my next event which I have decided will be the June Spartan Sprint. I wavered a bit the last few weeks with going forward with Strongman comp instead...but I think prepping for a Spartan will help me work towards goals that are more important to me. I really want to drop weight and get down to a healthier range which has been an original goal of my fitness training for the whole time I have been on this journey. Cross training for the Spartan instills that mindset a lot better for me than strongman. When I get obsessed with putting on muscle and hitting big PRs on lifts, my focus on food slacks(like right now) and weight skyrockets. Despite being able to hit these PRs and having that joy, its severely diminished if weight is at an unreasonable level. A 495lb deadlift is my in-sight lifting goal followed closely by a 300 or 315lb bench but neither of those are as cool or worth it to me if I put on 30lbs to achieve them.

Realistically, I don't see myself doing well at a Spartan Race being over 300lbs. I could plug away and finish but that weight doesn't allow for a performance that I want. I see very little chance I could do certain obstacles at current weight. Even bouncing up 15lbs in the last few months there is a noticeable drop in time I can deadhang from a pullup bar so obviously that's going to impact my training to be able to do wall/rope climbs and monkey bar type events.

Hoping to establish a cross training regimen where I can still do weight training like I do now a couple days a week but then have some more conditioning work to do on non-lifting days. The classes I started out with at the gym have taken a bit of a turn lately to much more strength than conditioning and I feel like I am missing that part. I cant make the gym every morning because I would be at work too late but a night or two at my work gym doing interval training or conditioning WODs would certainly possible. Luckily my coach wont be insulted if I ask for some stuff I can do outside of the gym since I need a bit more of a flexible schedule. Looking forward to laying out a new path forward!

• Like 3

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

i should totally steal your training plan... right now i am doing mostly running on my non-lifting days but i probably only have one more 5K coming up in between now and the spartan. and i could probably really benefit from some conditioning for that! i remember when i was "training" for my first spartan, i did a lot of the spartan WODs that they post on their website and those helped a lot. it's been so long since i've done one of those though, oops.

in conclusion, i like your plan for a holiday bulk and then switch to some added conditioning.

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

6 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i should totally steal your training plan... right now i am doing mostly running on my non-lifting days but i probably only have one more 5K coming up in between now and the spartan. and i could probably really benefit from some conditioning for that! i remember when i was "training" for my first spartan, i did a lot of the spartan WODs that they post on their website and those helped a lot. it's been so long since i've done one of those though, oops.

You could always come hangout at the gym and do conditioning with me...your not all thattt far away!

But I actually was thinking that an Easter-time 5K may be a good intermediate event. That way it would emphasize the fact I need to have running in my training at least a bit so I can manage that distance of running without knees blowing up and other crazy concerns.

• Like 1

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

AAAAAaaaaand I'm going to have to join you with the running as well XD I really, really REALLY hope I didn't push you into the Spartan! I pretty much agreed to it cause I thought you were in, and then CM was like, me too, and I was like, well, I'd be stupid NOT to! But your plan and thoughts on long term fitness are smart and inspiring. I think it's really easy to get blinded by the PR grain train and put that ahead of health, and it's not like strongman won't be there for you down the road! And it works well to time it out accordingly :D 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

You could always come hangout at the gym and do conditioning with me...your not all thattt far away!

But I actually was thinking that an Easter-time 5K may be a good intermediate event. That way it would emphasize the fact I need to have running in my training at least a bit so I can manage that distance of running without knees blowing up and other crazy concerns.

yes!! I totally would, preferably on a weekend or friday night :D

I have done this st. patty's 5K the last few years and find it comes at a good time. it's always freezing but forces me to get out there - it's the Nutty Irish 5K if you're interested! haven't signed up yet this year but i'm 99% sure i will

Instagram | pinterest