Level 4: Silence the Voice

SkyGirl

There is an ugly little voice that lives in my mirror. 

I know you've heard it too - if not in your mirror, then maybe in your report card, or your performance appraisal meeting, or your bathroom scale, or this year's stack of birthday cards. Wherever this voice may lurk in your life, you will recognize its voice as soon as I quote its filthy lies:

You'll never be good enough. You'll always be (fat / stuck / inept / out of shape / ineffective). You don't have what it takes to be like (insert amazing person's name here). You're no good as you are and you're too weak to change. You will never grow, you will never look or act the way you want, you will never succeed. You will never achieve your dreams.

I'm here to say that's rubbish.

tumblr_nk545e9Zt61s4ufzko1_500.gif 

I know it's rubbish because I have grown. I am no longer the overweight, overtired, depressed underachiever I used to be; I'm in graduate school, have my own apartment, and have been blessed with friends, health, and a wonderful family. I thought I would never get any writing published, and now I write for a living. I have lost weight before, and I can do it again. I have worked hard and achieved dreams before, and I have a lot more out there to pursue.

So my goal in this challenge is to sock that voice right in the mouth and shut him up.

You think I'm stuck at this weight forever? Watch me knock off this last 5 pounds.

You think I'll never learn to cook? You try some of my chili macaroni and say that to my face again. And Christmas is coming, you dirty lug, and I'll be cooking until my oven cries for mercy.

You think I can't finish this semester with a 3.0 GPA? Watch me earn all the points and bury my competition.

You think I'll never be able to stick with any fitness besides walking? Well then, I will walk until my legs fall off. I'll walk to Mordor and back again. Heck, I'll build a bridge and walk to Valinor. AND come back. You watch me walk like the darndest hobbit that ever lived.

I can change. I have changed. And I am going to continue to change. And those changes are starting TODAY.

tumblr_mhofrlUbUW1qigxxco1_500.gif 

tumblr_mhofrlUbUW1qigxxco2_500.gif 

• Like 7

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 47

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

This is great!! You punch that stupid voice right in the mouth! 

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

I'm always up for some violence inflicted upon the voices of doubt.

• Like 4

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Slay that stupid voice! Love the challenge.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

11 hours ago, tonbaldin said:

Nice!!! I liked your determination! following allong.

your challenge reminded me of a comic: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Wow, this was really inspiring and moving!!! I'm totally bookmarking that! Thank you!!  *fistbump of awesomeness*

9 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

This is great!! You punch that stupid voice right in the mouth! 

Thanks @NeverThatBored! I'm going to!!

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm always up for some violence inflicted upon the voices of doubt.

I may or may not have taken my inspiration directly from your fabulous battle speeches ... you are a master of this type of violence!

6 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

Well you're officially The Coolest, hope you know that. Gosh. Absolutely loving your attitude, Skygirl! You're right, mellon nin- you can do this!

Well now, I think you're pretty fantabulous yourself, @MiaulinTheCat!! I know you can rock your challenge too! Let's do this!!  *fistbump of awesomeness*

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Slay that stupid voice! Love the challenge.

Thanks @Elastigirl! I wish I could slay him in all of his forms and in all my friends' lives, but taking on his awfulness in my own life will have to do! I'll make him regret messing with me!!

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

Week Zero

Finals week is rapidly approaching and I am swamped with projects, exams, papers, analyses and social gatherings; so my goals are super, super simple: eat, sleep, walk.

During Week Zero:

Eat

- I will track every meal and snack, no fudging, no "forgetting what I ate" in order to sneak in extra calories.

- I will stay within 100 calories of my calorie goal every day (2 variances allowed).

- Not a SMART goal, but I will do my best to eat whole foods as often as I can.

Sleep

- This will be tough, but I will do my best to be in bed by 12:30AM every night this week.

Walk

- I will walk at least 3.5 miles every weekday this week.

Goals further out on the horizon would be to try again to start a backpack lifting program, to successfully make contact with the university archery club and make plans to attend meetings next semester, to select a few cooking projects to try over the break, and to figure out what I need to do to get myself ready to attempt the climbing wall at the co-rec ... but these are all secondary to passing this stats class, getting A+'s in all my other classes, and making it through finals week without getting sick.

So far I'm off to a good start - I walked 3.9 miles yesterday and stayed under my calorie budget; today I'm 39 calories over, but I've only walked 1.9 miles, so I still have some more to burn off.  :-)

Off to go do battle with some stats!!

tumblr_nhsy5c1ROI1t6saleo9_500.gif 

• Like 5

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

1 hour ago, SkyGirl said:

I may or may not have taken my inspiration directly from your fabulous battle speeches ... you are a master of this type of violence!

Punch it in the teeth, knee it in the groin and hit it in the kidneys till it wets its pants, then walk away making snide comments about the quality of its shoes.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Punch it in the teeth, knee it in the groin and hit it in the kidneys till it wets its pants, then walk away making snide comments about the quality of its shoes.

... I'm really not sure I could even physically do that to someone if I tried ... I should find that out at some point ...

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

Well, today wound up being something of a variance ... I started on my stats homework at 6:30PM and didn't finish until 11:30PM, by which time my small dinner had worn off and I was starving ... so I had a small bowl of cereal and wound up about 250 calories over my allowance for the day. I also couldn't fit any more walking in today, so I only finished at 2.77 miles; and I have to do a few things before bed, so I won't be in bed by 12:30PM.

However, I think I did really well on my homework; I had a super productive day at work; and I also created a "Workweek Challenge" on Fibit to compete with a friend of mine and see which of us can cover more distance in a week. I've never done this before and we're competing for coffee, so I'm highly motivated!!  :-)

Goals for tomorrow:

- Successfully prep for presentation

- Use 20 seconds of courage and ask my boss if I can keep working here after my funding situation changes!!

- Study hard for my stats exam

- Renew my learner's permit one more time (grumble grumble grumble ... so embarrassing ...)

- Prep a birthday prank for one friend and a new-baby package for another - at least mentally if not in actuality!

Oh, and I haven't decided whether I'm going to continue my narrative this month or not ... I've been struggling to keep writing these characters for a while now, so I might take a break and find some new material before going on with their story. But I haven't forgotten them!  :-)

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

Image result for i encourage violence gif

Your writing and stories are great, but I 100% get you on the not wanting to write. No worries about taking a break, but is it bad if I look forward to the Dark Elf's return? :P

• Like 2

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

3 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Your writing and stories are great, but I 100% get you on the not wanting to write. No worries about taking a break, but is it bad if I look forward to the Dark Elf's return? :P

Not at all! I kind of wish I hadn't made the bad guy the most awesome character in my narrative, because I confess, the Dark Elf reminds me of Thranduil and I kind of like him ... I'm not supposed to, because metaphorically he represents The Voice that I'm battling in this very challenge; but ... yeah ...

tumblr_ney41r8VsL1rc13aso2_500.gif 

• Like 4

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

What a busy day! I learned two very important things today:

- Laziness + doting siblings = complete loss of control over diet. I came home after work today and didn't feel like cooking, so rather than let me make my usual nasty scrambled eggs and toast with hummus, my two energetic and kitchen-savvy siblings (I live with two of my siblings) jumped in and made a delicious dinner of home-grilled hamburgers on Slimwich buns, baked potatoes, kale salad with thousand island dressing, vanilla whole milk yogurt, and lemonade. If I hadn't exercised today, that meal would be my entire food allotment for the whole day. As it was, I wound up 296 calories over my allotment again. So I guess I need to conquer some of my laziness and cook, if I don't want to be treated to an incredibly delicious but diet-damaging meal ...

- Secondly, I love dancing to polka. Not dancing the polka, as if I know how; but rather completely inept but totally sassy pseudo-dancing while polka blasts out of my computer. I may harness this interest in the future to burn off calories from future sibling dinners.

Anyway ... had some frustrations at work; didn't study enough for my exam tomorrow; didn't work on my presentation or paper; did watch an amazing movie that made me cry; paid my bills on time; and fitnessed the following:

- Calories consumed: 1,883

- Calories burned from exercise: 321

- Calorie deficit: +296 (over)

- Miles: 3.88

- Steps: 7,888

• Like 4

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

Sooo close ... I just couldn't resist the apple at the very end of the day ... so ... juicy ...

Calories consumed: 1,529

Calories burned from exercise: 237

Deficit: +22

Miles: 2.68 mi

Steps: 6,788

Anyway, today I took my stats exam (I think I aced it!!), really enjoyed class, had a great informal chat with my advisor, but ate a lot of fat and sodium due to accidentally leaving my lunch at home and having to eat the work pizza. Dinner, however, was an amazing salad that included my very favorite vegetable, banana peppers!!

I also think I may be on to something in understanding these "immune flareups" that I get - I think they may indeed have something to do with my immune system, because they always happen after I've been exposed to a sick person. Basically, I get body aches, heat and stiffness in some of my joints, a headache, and a really fuzzy, mentally sluggish feeling for about three days, but never actually get sick. I guess it's better than getting sick? I'll always wonder exactly why that happens, though ...

Tomorrow the really rough homework period begins, so I may struggle to keep up with my walking goals for the next few days ... I also need to craft this month's challenge! I'd really like to be able to climb the rock wall at the co-rec by the time the semester is done, but I don't know exactly what to do to prepare for that  ... push-ups maybe?

Also have been failing at my sleep challenge, but I'm off to remedy that right this second ...

tumblr_mg1nj5aeuD1qgsv2no2_500.gif 

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

Arrrgh, it's the family rituals that are going to bring me down ... had a massive pizza party last night that was so far outside my calorie budget that I was ashamed to even post about it; I fasted this morning and walked 4.88 miles and felt really positive that I had balanced out my indulgence, but Saturdays are Chinese carryout days in my family, and I love participating in this weekly ritual too much to forgo it ... so even though I tried to eat less than usual, I still wound up quite a bit over for the day. Always sad to see your hard work erased by eating too much. There are a few things I know to change next week - drink water instead of juice, measure out my portion precisely so my calculations are more accurate - so I'm treating it as a learning experience.

The second thing I'm not happy about is not writing my narrative!! It might be awkward to just jump right back in somewhere in the middle of the challenge, but I'm already boring myself without keeping track of Sky and her adventures. Look to hear more from her as soon as I finish my final exams!  :-)

Tomorrow will be a more sedentary day because I have a looooooooot of homework to finish, but I'll be watching what I eat more carefully AND setting my goals for WEEK 1 (yay!!!)

Calories consumed: 1,880

Calories burned from exercise: 342

Deficit: +268

Miles: 4.88 mi

Steps: 10,178

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 11:50 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Brilliant!

Don't be too hard on yourself for not writing narrative right now. You have other priorities that have to come first, like exams. Plus, just think of all thr extra plotting time!

Good Luck with this challenge, Sky. Those voices don't stand a chance!

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Good job on counting it as a learning experience. It is tough to navigate and learn new habits, while still allowing ourselves to enjoy food rituals that bring us joy.Keep at it, you will get there.

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Me: Look how healthy I'm being, my dinner is almost entirely vegetables!

MyFitnessPal: ... you're 300 calories over budget again. Also, popcorn is not a vegetable.

Me:

Oh-God-Eye-Roll-In-The-Hobbit.gif 

------------

Today has actually been a nice day so far ... this morning I went to church with a friend and took photos for her son's dedication ceremony, and arrived back home just as the cold rain started turning into snow. A lovely wet white dusting is now covering all the grass, but the sidewalks are clear. I spent the afternoon trying listlessly to write a paper (I have so far written exactly 1.5 paragraphs and am feeling a rising panic), then guiltily enjoyed my sister's amazing dinner of cabbage, ground turkey, mushrooms, and wild rice sauteed in the skillet, with sides of yogurt with fresh mango and slow-cooked sweet potatoes with cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter. I was already over budget at that point; but I confess, I snacked later on caramel popcorn ... to try to jog my paper-writing brain.  :-(  Not only did it not help, but I now feel fat and sad.

So from Week Zero, I learned a few things:

• By consistently tracking all of my food for a week, I find that I am consistently eating over budget even though I am moving a respectable amount each day. I need to find out why this is happening and how I can fix it (smaller portions? change ingredients? feed myself instead of letting others determine my portion size? eliminate extras like fruit juice and popcorn?).
  • Walking 3.5 miles every day may not be realistic for the first few weeks of the challenge - this week, at least, it was too hard for me to find time and destinations enough to hit that number every day. I will probably start with 3 miles a day and see if I can hit that.

I've never done a Week Zero challenge before, and I'm really glad I did this, so I could find out what areas I need to focus on. I am thinking about exactly what my goals will be for this challenge and I will try to post them up before I go to bed, but at least for now, I know that my target areas will be movement, revisiting and tweaking diet, and again, making goals for sleep and Scripture reading. And, maybe, figuring out how to work toward climbing that rock wall at the co-rec ...

• Like 4

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

Following... Because, I too have the voice. 

From what I read, you are doing a good job of fighting it to a standstill.

• Like 1

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

I know that voice well, it's not always an easy one to kick in teeth... That's a heck of a pep talk to start off the kicking though!!

About the climbing, I've climbed in the past (I'm assuming you're meaning an indoor climbing wall), and I'd say the things to prepare would be core (you use your body as a lever and a strong core will help with that), grip, and balance/flexibility, especially hip flexibility and mobility. If you have access to a pullup bar or similar, anything that engages your lats will be helpful too, but if you climb regularly your lats will get plenty of work just from that. One thing to remember about climbing is, you're not doing a series of pullups from the bottom to the top, you're stepping up the holds and using your upper body to support yourself. Think about climbing a ladder: you step from rung to rung and use your upper body to keep yourself from tipping backwards or sideways. It's the same with wall climbing, with slightly different angles (walls are flat whereas ladders are angled) and much less evenly spaced rungs. That's not to say you won't use your upper body much, because you will, but if you're pulling yourself up the whole way, you're not climbing very efficiently and you'll tire yourself out quickly. Generate the climbing power from the legs, and use your arms to keep yourself stuck to the wall and as an assist to the legs when needed.

Hope that's helpful. Feel free to ask me climbing questions, I'm far from being an expert (still very much a beginner even after a few years doing it), and it's been a while since I've gone, but I'm happy to share my experience if you find it helpful. I miss it, maybe you'll inspire me to find some time to get back to it!

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Looks like you had some great week zero insights. If you have wonderful siblings who are ready to cook, my vote is enjoy is and just do portion control . Sounds to me like good food, you just might need to eat a bit less of it, and maybe scoop it up yourself so you can control portion size.

Have you ever tried to learn the polka? You should if you ever get the chance. I bet you would like it.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2016 at 10:13 PM, SkyGirl said:

Not at all! I kind of wish I hadn't made the bad guy the most awesome character in my narrative, because I confess, the Dark Elf reminds me of Thranduil and I kind of like him ... I'm not supposed to, because metaphorically he represents The Voice that I'm battling in this very challenge; but ... yeah ...

It sounds to me like you'll just have to figure out how to befriend the voice in your head. :)

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell.