jstanlick Grinds Out 2016

jstanlick

My 2016 -- by all measures -- has been a very stressful year. The first half of the year was dominated by my mother's declining health and her passing in June. The second half of the year has been a process of putting the pieces back together again, only to have them fall apart in November with sickness and my son's learning difficulties. At one point, I had managed to handle all of that stress with consistent exercise and had dropped 12 pounds since January and was running my fastest 5K's in a very long time. Unfortunately, the last scale measurement showed 6 of those pounds had come back.

But, the last week-ish of the last challenge proved to me that it's not over until it's over. I accomplished half of my challenge goals in those last 10 days. That and @mr_willes comment of

10 hours ago, mr_willes said:

So, grind your teeth and knock December out of the park! You have had your share of sickness, so might as well aim high. And in the meantime get set up for the holidays (where most people really struggle!).

have provided the theme for my last challenge of 2016. I'm going to do my best to bring that 2016 total weight loss number back to the 12 pounds it was previously. I'm going to finish out 2016 with such a kick ass challenge that come New Year's Eve, I might even look back on 2016 somewhat fondly. How?

• Goal #1: Lift heavy things. The biggest weight loss I experienced this last year was when I was lifting heavy things and running sprints. So, I'm going to lift heavy things, at least 3x per week. This shouldn't be that hard. That's not that much time. I know the holidays and everything, but those holidays are SUPER stressful to because...family. I be much less stressed by lifting heavy things.
  • Goal #2: Sprint. This is partly because the weather around here is going to make it more difficult to run long distances and partly because it helped with fat loss in the past. Plus, long runs on a treadmill inside bore the hell out of me. So, sprints. Twice a week.
  • Goal #3: Gratitude Journal. I started this last challenge and I think it has made me a more positive person. I certain have a lot to be grateful for when I stop and think about it. So, I'm prioritizing the stopping and thinking. I'm going to remain positive through these holidays and work on getting shit done. Every day.
  • Goal #4: Paleo-ish. I really love training and feel like something is missing when I don't exercise. Unfortunately, I really love eating and feel like something is missing when I don't eat all kinds of crap. So, building on my diet hacking of the last challenge, I'm adding some guidelines on how I grade my meals. Instead of a gut reaction to what I ate, I'm going to grade it on whether or not it fits the Primal guidelines of eating. It's time to stop collecting underpants and be specific about diet. I can't out train my fork no matter how much I want or think I can. So, I'm going to start doing this for realz to finish 2016 with a bang and setup 2017 for some kickass success.

I think that should do it. I will probably still go for a longer run on weekends because I like running. But, the distance running will take a backseat to lifting this winter starting now. If it doesn't have the success I'm looking for, I'll revisit and tweak in January. I also plan on taking some body measurements tonight to use those as part of the judging criteria for success rather than leaving it all up to the scale.

• Like 4

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 11/29/2016 at 0:06 PM, mr_willes said:

I feel honored! Let's both set up to knock December out of the park! It won't even know what hit it!

We got this!

On 11/29/2016 at 2:03 PM, Laghail said:

Second and following! Also looking forward to reading about a paleo(ish) holiday diet.

Me too! :D I almost saved this goal for January with the holidays coming. But, I figured I would do my best to fight through it rather than having a bigger hill to climb a month from now.

On 11/29/2016 at 8:56 PM, Xena said:

Wow! I like it. I initially thought your title sounded kind of negative, until I read your explanation of where it came from. It's awesome!

Thanks! Right now my body doesn't think it's awesome, but today's a rest day...or maybe sprints. My legs haven't been abused by iron yet.

When I setup my goals I settled in on a 4 day/ week lifting plan and promptly dove into it. Wow! I thought the Strong Lifts I had been doing would have been enough, but I guess those 2 weeks off and hitting it with more intensity than before has left me with all the DOMS after 2 days. Well, not all of them. My chest (Tuesday's push routine) and back (yesterday's pull routine) are adequately sore without the being ridiculously hard to move. My arms however, are quite sore. But, that makes sense as they were forced to endure far more reps than in the past, albeit at a lower weight.

Paleo-ish is an interesting grading scale for my diet hacking and is a tougher scale than I previously used. So far this week, the tally is a net 0.

Still getting things done with the gratitude journal. I'm going to really need that thing working in full gear with all of the stuffs that goes on this time of year to distr...Oooo, shiny! Wait, oh right, I'm getting things done and staying positive.

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

So, I did run some sprints on Thursday and lifted shoulders Friday. Today is supposed to be leg day, but it is also the day of my last 5K race of 2016. So, instead of 2 rest days on Sunday and Monday, today was the 5K, tomorrow is leg day and Monday is a rest day. Officially for week zero I will end up with 3 lifting sessions instead of 4, but on the plus side week 1 has the potential for 5 :D Not too happy with my time for the 5K, but my lungs were complaining of the cold temperatures.

On the diet front I'm currently sitting at -1 for the week. I seem to do well with the lunches I'm making ahead of time. It's the dinners when I get home that are more problematic. Fortunately, it was week zero and I still have today left.

My body is sore from all this high volume lifting. Me and my old friend DOMS have become reacquainted this week. Ooof.

• Like 3

On 1-12-2016 at 5:51 PM, jstanlick said:

We got this!

I've finally come around to actually making my challenge! I'm hitting big this challenge. So i can use all the gentle pads on the back of the head to keep me straight ;) 

On 3-12-2016 at 5:38 PM, jstanlick said:

So, I did run some sprints on Thursday and lifted shoulders Friday. Today is supposed to be leg day, but it is also the day of my last 5K race of 2016. So, instead of 2 rest days on Sunday and Monday, today was the 5K, tomorrow is leg day and Monday is a rest day. Officially for week zero I will end up with 3 lifting sessions instead of 4, but on the plus side week 1 has the potential for 5 :D Not too happy with my time for the 5K, but my lungs were complaining of the cold temperatures.

Seems like you did your best to sooth your RangerBrain™! Well done!

On 3-12-2016 at 5:38 PM, jstanlick said:

My body is sore from all this high volume lifting. Me and my old friend DOMS have become reacquainted this week. Ooof.

What program are you on?

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:38 AM, jstanlick said:

I seem to do well with the lunches I'm making ahead of time. It's the dinners when I get home that are more problematic.

Similar here, I can have perfect macros for breakfast and lunch, but I get home and start making something, it's harder to make a dish for multiple people that both satisfies my macro balance, and keeps the other people happy. What? You don't want to eat cold parboiled chicken and half-frozen broccoli??

• Like 3
On 12/5/2016 at 9:44 AM, Laghail said:

Similar here, I can have perfect macros for breakfast and lunch, but I get home and start making something, it's harder to make a dish for multiple people that both satisfies my macro balance, and keeps the other people happy. What? You don't want to eat cold parboiled chicken and half-frozen broccoli??

Exactly! "We've got some grilled chicken and roasted brussel sprout leftovers I can heat up. Who wants some? No?!? I could slice up an avocado to go with, how's that?"

On 12/5/2016 at 4:38 AM, mr_willes said:

I've finally come around to actually making my challenge! I'm hitting big this challenge. So i can use all the gentle pads on the back of the head to keep me straight ;) 

Seems like you did your best to sooth your RangerBrain™! Well done!

What program are you on?

I don't know if I've solved RangerBrain TM or not, but I have found a solution for tiring myself out. It's kinda close, but not really. It's a twelve week program by Jim Stoppani, called Shortcut to Size (all of his programs seem to be named "Shortcut to Something"). It's very a bodybuiliding-esque type of a program with a 4 day split, but not as many single joint exercises as one might expect on a bodybuilding program. It seemed like a good idea at the time :D 

On 12/3/2016 at 9:05 PM, Xena said:

Leg day after a 5K sounds rough!

It was. It really, really was. Not sure I'll be doing that anytime soon. A couple of miles at a leisurely pace and lifting? OK. A race and then lifting? Not again. Never.

So, with Monday a rest day, yesterday was supposed to be chest and tri's day. But, when I made it to the company gym 4 other people were lifting. It's not a big gym so there was no way I was going to fit that in and get back in time for a meeting. Oddly, nary a person was on any of the treadmills. So, I hopped on and ran some sprint intervals. Today I went down there at the same time as yesterday and no one was in there. I'm going to have to start scouting out how busy the gym is at certain times and try to make it at the least crowded times. As far as the exercise goals are going, I'm hitting them and I feel like I'm doing good things while enjoying what I'm doing. Part of me wishes I wasn't so beat up feeling all the time. Take yesterday for instance. It was the first day in a week that my arms, chest and back weren't sore. Part of me couldn't wait to hit the weights again and another part of me was all like, "What?!? Are you nuts?! We finally feel normal...well, except the legs..they're still sore." So, what did I do? Sprints.

I finished zero week with a -1 on the nutritional side of things and currently sit at +1 for Week 1. This is definitely not as easy as it was last challenge, but I think that's a good thing. I really want to figure out and solve the eating differently than everyone else thing. I'm not sure yet what that solution is, but I'm determined to not spend time making everyone their own thing every time we sit down to dinner.

I gotta admit, I'm a little surprised at how much stuff I'm getting done and keeping my focus with the gratitude journal. Each morning I sit down with my calendar for the day, read my email and schedule out every minute of my day based on previous day's priorities and goals with any alterations based on what happened over night. I don't hit everything that I plan out for my day and the amount of time it takes me to complete something doesn't always match -- okay, rarely does it match -- my estimate for how long it was going to take. So, I usually have carryover from the previous day. But, that stuff gets done eventually rather than rearing its head a month from now when I have to drop everything to make it happen. This part of my challenge is going really well.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Exactly! "We've got some grilled chicken and roasted brussel sprout leftovers I can heat up. Who wants some? No?!? I could slice up an avocado to go with, how's that?"

I gotta admit, I'm a little surprised at how much stuff I'm getting done and keeping my focus with the gratitude journal. Each morning I sit down with my calendar for the day, read my email and schedule out every minute of my day based on previous day's priorities and goals with any alterations based on what happened over night. I don't hit everything that I plan out for my day and the amount of time it takes me to complete something doesn't always match -- okay, rarely does it match -- my estimate for how long it was going to take. So, I usually have carryover from the previous day. But, that stuff gets done eventually rather than rearing its head a month from now when I have to drop everything to make it happen. This part of my challenge is going really well.

A - Those brussel sprout hatting ingrates. They get borscht

th?&id=OIP.M7330ec1c358bafc271be4c9901d750fbo2&w=281&h=252&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

B - Dang. How long have you been running that kind of time blocking?

• Like 1

I know what you mean about the body hurting all the time. I guess at the moment, I would think back to the summer when my back was hurting in a bad way. This kind of completely thrashed muscle feeling is different and we are sort of lucky to have it.

It is funny though. People who don't exercise hard/regularly probably think that you feel better "after" getting in shape. I guess the problem is that there is no such thing as after, and you feel better in some ways but not others.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

A - Those brussel sprout hatting ingrates. They get borscht

th?&id=OIP.M7330ec1c358bafc271be4c9901d750fbo2&w=281&h=252&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

B - Dang. How long have you been running that kind of time blocking?

I started the gratitude journal last challenge. In there I wrote down the positive things that happened and was grateful for from the day. I would also write down my top 3 priorities to get done in the coming day. I started blocking my time a week and a half ago [emoji4]

It has helped me be more focused.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I know what you mean about the body hurting all the time. I guess at the moment, I would think back to the summer when my back was hurting in a bad way. This kind of completely thrashed muscle feeling is different and we are sort of lucky to have it.

It is funny though. People who don't exercise hard/regularly probably think that you feel better "after" getting in shape. I guess the problem is that there is no such thing as after, and you feel better in some ways but not others.

I'm hoping that right now I'm sore because I previously was doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, OHP and rows. That was it. I'm now doing a lot more exercises and even a lot more reps than before. I believe my body will adjust and that soreness will be less and less over time. We'll find out I guess. [emoji6]

• Like 1

following [emoji4]

Good to see you again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jstanlick said:

I'm hoping that right now I'm sore because I previously was doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, OHP and rows. That was it. I'm now doing a lot more exercises and even a lot more reps than before. I believe my body will adjust and that soreness will be less and less over time. We'll find out I guess. emoji6.png

In the true spirit of wanted to keep growing, i think Xena is right. You indeed will grow accustomed to your routine, but if you want to grow further you have up the weights and eventually have to mix up that routine again (your body adapts). So in a way it's just like climbing a never ending stairs, i think that is truly the hardest part of it all. The neverending grind, and on top of that the diminishing returns you get...

Come to think of it, it sounds a bit like drugs, you will never get as high as you did with your starting-gains ;) 

• Like 4

... a little odd in the head ...

On 12/8/2016 at 0:39 AM, mr_willes said:

In the true spirit of wanted to keep growing, i think Xena is right. You indeed will grow accustomed to your routine, but if you want to grow further you have up the weights and eventually have to mix up that routine again (your body adapts). So in a way it's just like climbing a never ending stairs, i think that is truly the hardest part of it all. The neverending grind, and on top of that the diminishing returns you get...

Come to think of it, it sounds a bit like drugs, you will never get as high as you did with your starting-gains ;) 

I am totally fine with that. The DOMS in my triceps that lasted for 6 days and woke me up while I was sleeping on the other hand...

But that has been much better this week. I've been drinking a lot more water and trying to get more protein in my macros and I feel a lot less sore.

• Like 2

Currently sitting at +2 for the week on the diet front. That's still a battle. Probably will be for a while.

I got a boatload of stuff done this week. I looked back at my calendar and my todo list and I've got a bunch of stuff crossed off of it. It doesn't seem like a lot each day, but when I look at it all stacked up for the week it seems so much more productive.

Today was 3 days of lifting in a row. Wed. - Chest/Tris, Thurs. - Back/Bis/Abs, Today - Delts/Traps/Calves. Today was probably the most effective day. Felt really good working shoulders. I don't know what it is, but shoulder day might be my favorite day. Tomorrow is leg day. 4 days in a row was not the original plan, but the gym being full on Tuesday turn Tuesday into sprints day and Thursday into a lifting day. Oddly, Sunday may go from a rest day to a lifting day if the weather forecasters are right. I might have me shoveling to do.

• Like 3

I finished last week at +3 on the diet front. Wahoo! I'm currently sitting at -1. Boo! This eating good things this time of year has not been easy for me. I pretty much use up most of my willpower at work, while my inner asshole sits there saying, "Ooo, that looks good. Come one, one bite won't kill you. It's got cashews in it. It's got to be healthy." Then I get home, rush through a hectic evening schedule with the kids and just give in to the aforementioned asshole.

While it's true I may have gone mad, all the lifting turned out to not be too big of a problem. 'Course, I kept falling asleep early at night and getting over 8 hours of sleep which helped TONS!! Plus, a trip to the massage therapist last night got rid of a lot of knots in those muscles.  The DOMS has subsided a bit. Stuff still gets sore, but it's not lasting forever and waking me up in the middle of the night. I don't know if that means my body is adapting or if I'm not hitting things as hard as that first week. I also ended up not "lifting" on Sunday as the snow did come blowing in as predicted, but re-tuned -- and very old -- snowblower made quick work of it. YAY! I don't usually have a good relationship with small engines, but I guess the carburetor tune-up, belt change, oil change and replacing the scraper bar stuffs I did in the fall worked! 10 inches of snow? No problem! That 35 year old engine is firing up on the first pull even in 9 degree Fahrenheit temperatures. So, I've actually had 2, count 'em, 2 full days of rest and am itching to get back under the bar tonight. However, I now have a problem.

My lovely daughter has asked if we can start lifting together again. She had stopped towards the end of volleyball season since she had a practice or game just about every day. We had been doing kettlebells together because she really likes the KB. How can I not workout with my 13 year old daughter? But, I'm 2 weeks in on a 12 week program that I'm starting to get really into. I might have gone mad, but even in that state, I'm fairly certain I can't lift 4 days a week and fit in KB workouts and expect my body to recover properly. I asked her if she wanted to do the other workouts with me, but she's not currently interested. So, I may have to scrap this whole plan and come up with a new KB plan. On the plus side, I could put a newer, heavier KB on my Christmas list :D

• Like 3