Aquamom

Well, my fellow Rangers, I think my title says it all.  I'm trying to find some consistency as far as my workouts go and I feel like I'm just in a holding at my office.  While I generally like my job, I'm feeling very done with working at my current firm.  I've been here 10 years and I've hit the ceiling as far as upward mobility - unless I stage a coup (not likely).  The good news is that my best friend wants to hire me!  We work very well together (same industry) and push each other - playing devil's advocate and such.  The bad news, I have to wait until have the 1st of the year - thus I am treading water in my current job.  

As a result of my job, my anxiety has flared up quite badly and I'm not sleeping super well.  And when I don't sleep super well, that means that I then don't want to get up and workout the next morning.  And it's a vicious cycle.  So, I'm going to keep things simple.

Goal 1:  2 strength workouts a week

Goal 2:  2 cardio workouts a week (even if it just means a 20 minute walk)

Goal 3:  Meditate every day.  3 days a week.  (Every day was setting myself up for failure).

Goal 4:  Complete one of my Epic Quest Challenges (read 75 books in one year)!

Well, here's to leaving 2016 behind!

• Like 4

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

"Remember - I'm still the king of the Seven Seas!  And if I wish I can command all the creatures of the sea to attack you - at once!"

So even though this is technically Week 0 - I'm jumping right in!

This morning I did my strength workout then meditated.  It really helped.

Last night, I finished listening to Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone.  I'm listening/re-reading the series in preparation for (hopefully) visiting Harry Potter World in Orlando in May 2017.  

• Like 2

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

"Remember - I'm still the king of the Seven Seas!  And if I wish I can command all the creatures of the sea to attack you - at once!"

That sounds like a good plan to finish off 2016 and try to keep your sanity.

20 hours ago, Aquamom said:

So even though this is technically Week 0 - I'm jumping right in!

This morning I did my strength workout then meditated.  It really helped.

Breaking the cycle already!! Nicely done.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Alright friends, I updated my challenge goals to have only 3 meditation days because I think everyday would be setting myself up for failure.

I swam for 20 minutes today - alternating between free-style and breast-stroke.  I couldn't tell how far or how many laps I swam, but my arms feel like they want to fall of - in a good way.

Also, I finished my 75th book of the year! EPIC QUEST ITEM DUN.  You can check out my full list here!  Since I've got a good jump, I'm hoping I can also reach 100!

Tomorrow (assuming my arms aren't too shot), I'd like to get in a KB workout in the morning.  I bought one for myself and am trying to incorporate it into my strength training.

• Like 2

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

On 11/29/2016 at 3:05 PM, Aquamom said:

Well, my fellow Rangers, I think my title says it all.  I'm trying to find some consistency as far as my workouts go and I feel like I'm just in a holding at my office.  While I generally like my job, I'm feeling very done with working at my current firm.  I've been here 10 years and I've hit the ceiling as far as upward mobility - unless I stage a coup (not likely).  The good news is that my best friend wants to hire me!  We work very well together (same industry) and push each other - playing devil's advocate and such.  The bad news, I have to wait until have the 1st of the year - thus I am treading water in my current job.  

As a result of my job, my anxiety has flared up quite badly and I'm not sleeping super well.  And when I don't sleep super well, that means that I then don't want to get up and workout the next morning.  And it's a vicious cycle.  So, I'm going to keep things simple.

Goal 1:  2 strength workouts a week

Goal 2:  2 cardio workouts a week (even if it just means a 20 minute walk)

Goal 3:  Meditate every day.  3 days a week.  (Every day was setting myself up for failure).

Goal 4:  Complete one of my Epic Quest Challenges (read 75 books in one year)!

Well, here's to leaving 2016 behind!

this looks great! Following :)

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Well, I didn't think I was going to be able to get in a workout today, but I got really upset at the office so after my therapy appointment, I met my wife at the Y.  She went for a swim and brought me running clothes.  Unfortunately, she did a poor job of picking, especially with the bra so after my first run interval I decided it was better to just walk at an incline for the rest of the time.  But, I still got a workout in!  

I need to meditate and do my strength training . . . I'm thinking of including yoga in strength training and doing some tonight.  

• Like 3

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

Alright, the meditation part of this challenge is not going so well - as in, I haven't been doing it.  :|

If I meditate for the next 3 days then I can get what I need for the week.

This morning I did a quick KB workout and my body was toast afterwards.  I was able to get my heartrate up so that felt good.  

Also, finished another book - Mockingbird:  I can explain.  It's for my comic book shop's Ladies and Genderqueer book club.  (Although the e-mail I got yesterday defined the group as "anyone who doesn't identify as male" which made me chuckle.)

• Like 2

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

On 12/8/2016 at 7:44 AM, Aquamom said:

This morning I did a quick KB workout and my body was toast afterwards.  I was able to get my heartrate up so that felt good.

If your body was toast after a quick workout, then you were quite efficient and made it count!

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 12/9/2016 at 9:56 PM, jstanlick said:

If your body was toast after a quick workout, then you were quite efficient and made it count!

I'm also very new to the KB thang. :)

I got a swim in on Sunday, so that felt good.  Everything is on track except for the freaking meditation . . . . I really need someone to hold my feet to the fire or find some way to make it a priority.  My anxiety has been super bad lately, though, so I'm probably avoiding it because sitting still for any length of time seems like torture right now.

• Like 3

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

Maybe try shortening your meditation time? If it feels like torture and you can't get started, try meditating for only like two minutes at a time. After that becomes easier and easier to get into, then increase the time by a little bit, like to five minutes. Build from there. I find that when adding a new habit like that, where I don't want to spend the time doing it, I start with a really short, minimum amount of time, until I find getting into the action is easier, then increase the time bit by bit. :)

• Like 3
On 12/13/2016 at 9:13 AM, SkiBlue said:

Maybe try shortening your meditation time? If it feels like torture and you can't get started, try meditating for only like two minutes at a time. After that becomes easier and easier to get into, then increase the time by a little bit, like to five minutes. Build from there. I find that when adding a new habit like that, where I don't want to spend the time doing it, I start with a really short, minimum amount of time, until I find getting into the action is easier, then increase the time bit by bit. :)

That's a good idea. :)  I'm going to try that.  May shorter time actually meditating, but higher frequency?  

Ok so this week has been very up-and-down for several reasons.  First, my oldest son woke up in the middle of the night Tuesday throwing up.  I was up the rest of the night with him.  Went to work Wednesday, wife got sick Thursday, so she stayed home with WW again on Thursday.  I didn't sleep well Wednesday night which meant I was a zombie for both Wednesday and Thursday.  At work, I had an ginormous report due to a national bank yesterday that I seriously busted my ass on.  I finally got it done around 6 pm yesterday, in time for me to leave for Rogue One!  Last night I was up late because I saw Rogue One and then watched part of the Seahawks game when I got home.  Needless to say, I'm really tired today.

I did a swim workout on Sunday and yoga on Monday (or Tuesday) morning. After that, between illnesses and work, not much else has happened this week and my lower back has been nagging me (hence the yoga).  Two more weeks to finish strong though!

Also, I received an e-mail from the founding partner from the Firm I want to work for scheduling a private lunch with him and the managing partner of that Firm for early January!!!!!!  I'm super-excited!

Rogue One was good.  Not in the same vein of awesomeness that The Force Awakens was/is, but it was good and I can't wait to see it again.  Personally, I felt like Felicity Jones was a bit stiff during the whole film, but everyone else was good.

• Like 1

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

Alright - new week!  My stomach feels a little off which is annoying, so I'm sticking to bland food.  I was able to get out of the office and workout though.

A buddy of mine and I are doing some accountabili-buddy rowing stuff, today was Day 1 and so just set a baseline of 1k.  My 1k time was 4:39.9.  I'm pretty please with that.  I then ran/walked for a half-hour using C25k.

• Like 2

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

On 12/16/2016 at 11:51 AM, Aquamom said:

Also, I received an e-mail from the founding partner from the Firm I want to work for scheduling a private lunch with him and the managing partner of that Firm for early January!!!!!!  I'm super-excited

YAY!! That sounds awesome! Wishing you the best of luck!

• Like 1

Last week kind of peetered out - never really got back on track with meditation.  Rowing has been going well - as long as I can find an erg that works!  Both the ones at my gym and school have not been working well. :(

Strength workouts also kinda peetered out - I was doing yoga but not twice a week.  

Finished my Epic Quest of 75 books in a year!  Hooray!

• Like 1

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4