Jedi Visits the Houses of Healing

TheGreyJedi-Ranger

So this challenge is going to be a bit differently themed from many of the others: I've never done a non Star Wars themed challenge before. But the theming is very light so it won't be a huge to-do.

For those of you who don't know, in the world of J.R.R. Tolkien, there was a woman named Eowyn. She was a shieldmaiden of Rohan, niece of King Theoden and sister of Eomer, the King's heir. During the Final installation of The Lord of the Rings, Eowyn snuck into battle against her uncle's wishes, along with Meriadoc Brandybuck, one of the four hobbits in the Fellowship to Destroy the Ring of Power. She then ends up battling, and defeating, The Witch-King of Angmar. This King was a powerful wraith, or Nazgul, under the control of Sauron, who it had been prophesied that "no man can kill."  (Eowyn was, clearly, a woman. Well done Tolkien.) Already battling with loneliness and despair from before the battle, her constitution was weakened. This combined with her injuries from the battle created prime conditions for a case of the Black Breath, which is a condition stemming from contact with the highly malevolent aura excluded by the Nazgul. Aided by the healing powers of Aragorn, the King of humans, she recovers in a place called the Houses of Healing.

So I'm in the process of battling my Witch-King, and when I defeat him, I will need a long rest in the houses of healing. You see, I just lost a beloved family member, my grandfather. I'm trying to process and cope with my grief, on top of finishing up my last semester of college. Ever. And I'm going to have a rather sad Christmas what with the loss of my grandfather and being my last Christmas at home before I get married (that part isn't sad for me but for my family, and I'm going to be immersed in that environment for two weeks). 

Things are very difficult for me right now, especially on top of a number of smaller problems. So this month is going to be a month of essentially coping as best as I can and getting ready for a fresh New Year start. 

My goals are going to be a bit of a deviation from my last ones, but they're going to be a bit of an experiment in figuring out a new routine now that I'm not in class anymore.

Goal One- Do one cardio and one Yoga each week

A- One each for 4 weeks

+2 DEX +2 STA

B- One each for 3 weeks

+1 DEX +1 STA

C - One each for 2 weeks

+.5 DEX +.5 STA

Less is Fail

Goal Two- Keep Track of Food

+2 CON +2 CHA

Else fail

Goal Three- Stretch Each Week 6x

Stretch 6x/week for 4 weeks - A

+2 DEX +2 CHA

Stretch 6x/week for 3 weeks - B

+1 DEX +1 CHA

Stretch 6x/week for 2 weeks - C

+.5 DEX +.5 CHA

Less is fail

Goal Four- Strength 2x/week (1 pilates, 1 circuit)

Stretch 6x/week for 4 weeks - A

+2 STR +2 STA

Stretch 6x/week for 3 weeks - B

+1 STR +1 STA

Stretch 6x/week for 2 weeks - C

+.5 STR +.5 STA

Less is fail

• Like 2

Grey Jedi Ranger

Current Challenge - To Be A Hero Vol 0.5: Jedi Endures

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51

Day 1 Measurements 

Shoulders- 14.75 in

Chest- 29.5 in

Bicep- 9.5 in

Waist- 30 in

Hips- 40 in

Thigh- 18 in
Weight-

Week 2 Measurements 

Shoulders- 14.75 in

Chest- 30.5 in

Bicep- 9 in

Waist- 29 in

Hips- 39 in

Thigh- 18.25 in
Weight-

Week 3 Measurements 

Shoulders- 

Chest- 

Bicep-

Waist-

Hips- 

Thigh- 
Weight-

Week 4 Measurements 

Shoulders- 14.5 in

Chest- 30.5 in

Bicep- 9.25 in

Waist- 30 in

Hips- 39 in

Thigh- 17.5 in
Weight-

Day 28 Measurements 

Shoulders- 13.75 in

Chest- 30 in

Bicep- 9 in

Waist- 29 in

Hips- 39.5 in

Thigh- 17.75 in
Weight-

Goal 1

Week 1- 2/2

Week 2- 2/2

Week 3- 1/2

Week 4 - 0/2

Goal 2

28/28

Goal 3

Week 1- 6/6

Week 2- 5/6

Week 3- 6/6

Week 4 -3/6

Goal 4

Week 1- 2/2

Week 2- 2/2

Week 3- 1/2

Week 4 - 0/2

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51

I'll be following along. I'm reminded of something Aragorn said about Merry and the results of his own injuries from stabbing the witch-king. " His grief he will not forget; but it will not darken his heart, it will teach him wisdom. "

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'll be following along. I'm reminded of something Aragorn said about Merry and the results of his own injuries from stabbing the witch-king. " His grief he will not forget; but it will not darken his heart, it will teach him wisdom. "

Exactly. I'm really trying to take this grief and learn... something. I don't know yet. 

But Eowyn I am, and my Faramir is waiting for me at home this weekend so I don't have to deal with all of this alone. I'll get through this, and I'll be a better person for it.

Image result for eowyn and faramir quotes

• Like 2

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

3 minutes ago, Shadri said:

That looks like a good battle plan. I've got no advice on coping, as I'm not great at it myself; but I hope you are able to find some peace and rest over the holiday, and that the sadness stays at a minimum. <3 You are strong and amazing.

Forgive me, I've gone and forgotten, when is your wedding? ^_^ How exciting that must be!

I'm not doing terribly well at it thus far, mostly my methods include just trying to continue on with daily life. Like a little tank waiting for something bigger than me to come along. I think the break will help though. Time with my family together for us to work through this, time with my fiance that I direly need, and one last Christmas at home. 

Also thanks <3

My wedding is April 22nd! I'm so excited :) I have a lot of things I need to do to prepare still, but it's been a lot of fun ^_^

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

I would be much obliged if you guys could pray extra hard this weekend. Tomorrow is my grandfather's funeral. Today I have to drive back home. This day has not started well (I've been up for less than an hour), and I really would just like some strength to make it through the next two days. Hopefully, after that, things might start looking up. If I'm lucky. Maybe.

I don't even know, I'm just completely miserable right now. I want to go back to bed. I was trying to deal by listening to music but my oh-so-helpful roommate was all like "could you use headphones it's before 8am" and I literally always play music at this time on Fridays and who am I to need something to help me deal and my headphones give me headaches and I 100% have to use them at work so no music for me this morning. And my phone charger is going kaput so I have to pay stupid apple prices for a new lightning cable when my phone is stupid and dying anyway and I just want it to last until my contract goes up in April/we switch carriers and I just can't anymore, okay?

I don't want to go home. I don't want to do this. I just want to stay here, far away, and pretend to be able to cope with all this alone because being at home with my family is probably going to make it worse.

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

I am so sorry you're having such a rough time. Remember, you don't actually have to go down. You are an adult, you can choose. I know, however, that if you do choose to go down, you have the strength to face the pain and walk through the other side. You have the entire rebellion in your phone, and we are here for you. I will of course be praying for you.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I am so sorry you're having such a rough time. Remember, you don't actually have to go down. You are an adult, you can choose. I know, however, that if you do choose to go down, you have the strength to face the pain and walk through the other side. You have the entire rebellion in your phone, and we are here for you. I will of course be praying for you.

Honestly, my day did end up getting better later so I'm not in as bad a mood. And I also do want to go, I really need some kind of closure. It still doesn't always feel quite real. I need to deal with this. I'm just dreading it even though I know it's necessary.

And thank you <3

57 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about your loss. I will pray for you this weekend.

Thanks <3

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

3 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

Honestly, my day did end up getting better later so I'm not in as bad a mood. And I also do want to go, I really need some kind of closure. It still doesn't always feel quite real. I need to deal with this. I'm just dreading it even though I know it's necessary.

And thank you <3

Thanks <3

Just so you know, what you are feeling is perfectly normal to feel, except for the fact that you are more self-aware than a lot of people in their grief. What are you, some kind of Jedi or something?

• Like 2

Current Challenge

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Just so you know, what you are feeling is perfectly normal to feel, except for the fact that you are more self-aware than a lot of people in their grief. What are you, some kind of Jedi or something?

Haha probably, that's what I'm training for!

But yeah. I'm extra leery of pushing away pain. I am a very emotional person, but only with people I trust. In my college town, I don't have a lot of people that I'm super close to. I always feel like I'm imposing, even if I'm not. And I've had basically everyone around me dealing with a lot and my instinctual reaction is "PROTECT THE LOVED ONES AT ALL COSTS" but sometimes I'm the cost and I can't really do that right now.

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

10 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

But yeah. I'm extra leery of pushing away pain. I am a very emotional person, but only with people I trust. In my college town, I don't have a lot of people that I'm super close to. I always feel like I'm imposing, even if I'm not. And I've had basically everyone around me dealing with a lot and my instinctual reaction is "PROTECT THE LOVED ONES AT ALL COSTS" but sometimes I'm the cost and I can't really do that right now.

Trust me, as someone who watches families grieve a lot, the ones that get through it the best is where everyone greives together. There is no advantage to one person being "the strong one," which generally means repressing emotions rather than true strength. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

10 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

Hey there, my fellow Jedi.    First of all, I am praying for you.  It's not easy.  And loss of a loved one never gets easy- but it does eventually become less constantly painful.   As someone who has experienced it herself (what I consider an unfair amount in my lifetime already) I can tell you, that whatever way you need to grieve, is fine and healthy and right for you.   I will say though, that Tank speaks the truth.   More personal story behind spoiler.

Spoiler

I lost my mom at 13 and my whole family was so worried about me, that I decided to immediately show them how strong and okay I was... because, I knew that their worries for me would only make it harder for them during this time.   I didn't cry through the nights of the wake, I didn't cry the week leading up to it, and I didn't cry at the funeral.     My mantra was 'I'm okay.  I'm okay.'     I wasn't.   And after the procession to the cemetery, that giant built up wall crumbled.    Hard.    I had friends of the family from church come running to my side, and we all cried together.   I think it's because the human soul was meant to have connection to others, that our best healing comes when we're able to open up and grieve together.   Looking back now, I see how those two big guys (two Mike's from church, who were my parents friends but loved me like an adopted daughter) were able to express their grief more, by being able to be with me while I grieved.

Long story short, let it out.  And let others be there for you- you may be the very thing they need to let go and start their process too.   You'll make it through this.    Just as any Jedi Master would make it through one of their trials.     You got prayers from Illinois headed upward for you and your family though.  That's a promise.

• Like 2

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

22 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Hey there, my fellow Jedi.    First of all, I am praying for you.  It's not easy.  And loss of a loved one never gets easy- but it does eventually become less constantly painful.   As someone who has experienced it herself (what I consider an unfair amount in my lifetime already) I can tell you, that whatever way you need to grieve, is fine and healthy and right for you.   I will say though, that Tank speaks the truth.   More personal story behind spoiler.

Hide contents

I lost my mom at 13 and my whole family was so worried about me, that I decided to immediately show them how strong and okay I was... because, I knew that their worries for me would only make it harder for them during this time.   I didn't cry through the nights of the wake, I didn't cry the week leading up to it, and I didn't cry at the funeral.     My mantra was 'I'm okay.  I'm okay.'     I wasn't.   And after the procession to the cemetery, that giant built up wall crumbled.    Hard.    I had friends of the family from church come running to my side, and we all cried together.   I think it's because the human soul was meant to have connection to others, that our best healing comes when we're able to open up and grieve together.   Looking back now, I see how those two big guys (two Mike's from church, who were my parents friends but loved me like an adopted daughter) were able to express their grief more, by being able to be with me while I grieved.

Long story short, let it out.  And let others be there for you- you may be the very thing they need to let go and start their process too.   You'll make it through this.    Just as any Jedi Master would make it through one of their trials.     You got prayers from Illinois headed upward for you and your family though.  That's a promise.

Thanks, I really appreciate that <3 I know I can make it through, and I know that right now I can't really just not. I've been having a weird time coping because I live three hours away from any of my close family. I had my last full week of class last week, and I just went to everything. I've been trying to distract myself enough to get back here to grieve with my family basically. I've not been exactly ignoring it, but most of the time it's like my emotional self doesn't understand what's going on (except when my car windshield shatters and I suddenly realize I can't call Poppop to ask him what to do so I end up having hysterics). I know in my brain, but I don't know with my heart I guess. It scares me a little, almost as much as the service today does (which those two fears are probably related).

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Trust me, as someone who watches families grieve a lot, the ones that get through it the best is where everyone greives together. There is no advantage to one person being "the strong one," which generally means repressing emotions rather than true strength. 

Yeah, I'm trying not to be that, even though I'm the oldest of my sibs and feel some pressure to be the one taking care of mama (even though my little sister is honestly the one doing a good job of that. Luckily, I've got my Fiance to hold on to this weekend, he's been a major source of support and help and love throughout this whole time. I'm so grateful for him.

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

I'm so so sorry to hear about your Grandfather, Jedi. I have no words of comfort to offer you, except that I have been there, losing a beloved Grandfather and having to deal with the emotions of the funeral, of family, of grief. I will pray for you and your family. 

It sounds odd and apologies if it doesn't work for you, but what helped me whenever I was having a particularly bad moment of grief was I found somewhere to be alone and talked to him. Both out loud and in my head, since it's difficult to talk whilst crying. I don't like crying in front of people, but my boyfriend knew when I needed to be alone. 

8 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

I know in my brain, but I don't know with my heart I guess.

This is a very natural response. I felt this for both my grandparents, and the feeling never really goes. I think and I hope it's because it's their way of telling me they're still here, with me. In my heart, and so my heart doesn't need to know or accept their physical presence being gone. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not so much. 

Thinking of you, Jedi. I hope the funeral gave you some closure. Just don't be afraid to grieve however you need to. People deal with it in different ways, and they're all equally valid

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Volume I: Courage

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27

16 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I'm so so sorry to hear about your Grandfather, Jedi. I have no words of comfort to offer you, except that I have been there, losing a beloved Grandfather and having to deal with the emotions of the funeral, of family, of grief. I will pray for you and your family. 

It sounds odd and apologies if it doesn't work for you, but what helped me whenever I was having a particularly bad moment of grief was I found somewhere to be alone and talked to him. Both out loud and in my head, since it's difficult to talk whilst crying. I don't like crying in front of people, but my boyfriend knew when I needed to be alone. 

This is a very natural response. I felt this for both my grandparents, and the feeling never really goes. I think and I hope it's because it's their way of telling me they're still here, with me. In my heart, and so my heart doesn't need to know or accept their physical presence being gone. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not so much. 

Thinking of you, Jedi. I hope the funeral gave you some closure. Just don't be afraid to grieve however you need to. People deal with it in different ways, and they're all equally valid

Thank you <3

Just so that everyone knows, the service was beautiful and the time with my family was wonderful. It really helped me deal with the emotions I didn't know how to cope with and I'm doing much better now. My fiance was a rock all day and has been wonderful support recently. Now today I begin by tucking my grandfather into a lightly aching but healing space in my heart and doing my best every day to honor him and the person he was and what he taught me. Some days will be better than others but I am more confident in my ability to heal.

• Like 4

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Today has started out well! 

I put my chicken and wild rice soup in my crock pot for my happy eating, and as soon as I finish my coffee I'm going to get dressed and go to the gym for a treadmill run :)

Breakfast today was yoghurt and granola, and my lunch will be the last of my leftover chicken alfredo with peas. I'll probably throw another fruit and some extra protein in there as well (can you hear me now Hummus??)

Also there's a delish looking new hot chocolate at Starbucks that I am officially DYING to try. That's on my list today too!

• Like 2

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

9 hours ago, Shadri said:

I'm glad the time with your family helped you find some peace and closure. <3

That soup sounds tasty!

It's so good! It's one of my favorites. Usually I only get it when I'm at Panera, but you can also make it. My mom made it once, and this time I did it myself!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

I had my last day of classes today, a little bit bittersweet. But I'm so excited to be done with school!

I've gotten two of four workouts in this week, I've been tracking rather well, and I've been stretching! It's been a good first week of challenge thus far in this regard.

I did just find out that the squeaky noise in my car was kinda irrelevant. It just needed oil -_- (edit: had to take car back and they had to replace the belt ugh) hopefully the mechanic doesn't charge me a bunch for that. They are going to have to replace at least two, maybe four tires. I've got a loose belt in a tire and two of them are starting to get down to dangerous driving levels. They also have to move one of my wheels to the back because I've got a bent one- though apparently that's just for comfort. I dunno, but this is gonna probably be pricey.

I'm starting to get a little worried about getting home in time and also being able to pay for it because I've only got a thousand dollars for my credit limit. Which sounds like a lot, but I've got $200 already on it from the windshield I just replaced, and I've got about $100-150 or so on it that I'm not going to be able to pay much on until I start getting paychecks in January (well more really because I still need to replace allergy medicines and get Christmas gifts) except for the little bit of extra money I'm getting this week for working every day until Friday (I'll get ~$200 but there's also the phone bill to be paid).

I just don't wanna be unable to get gas or something because I've got like 75% of my credit limit full of car repairs and also my debit card doesn't work -_-

*sigh* that's my worries for today. I'm going to try not to think about it and just enjoy the treat of a beer (or a Kaluah Cocoa since it's cold) that I've promised myself on the last day of classes. 

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Just completed my first bodyweight circuit type workout that I created on my own (with a pinterest workout as the base): and it was a little too easy! (woah never thought I'd say a workout was easy)

It was actually kinda like HIIT- it was 20 secs on, 10 secs off, a couple minutes between sets (4 sets)

- jumping jacks

- squats

- plank jacks

- slow mountain climbers (for core strength)

- russian twists

- jump lunges

- bicycle crunches

And it was far too easy. Next time will be more exercises and an extra 10 seconds per exercise.

Also I can put both heels on the ground in downward dog finally ^_^

• Like 3

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log