Kes Comes Back

Kes

I haven't been on NerdFitness in about 10 months or so. A pinched nerve and lingering discomfort in my shoulder prompted me to go to physical therapy, which pretty much derailed me from NerdFitness completely.  Now I'm back and ready to get back into it.

For what it's worth, physical therapy was awesome. It turned out there was nothing really wrong with me - I had locked up all the trigger points in my back from muscle imbalances, which were caused by inadequate core strength, which was in turn caused by diastasis recti from a pregnancy 7 years prior that had never fully knit back together. I learned so much from physical therapy which I wish I had learned from physical education over the years. So if anybody's been floating the idea of going to a physical therapist for some lingering issue or other, I highly recommend it.

I've been running and intermittently doing body-weight exercises, but at the same time my plate is full with full-time work and full-time school and full-time single parenting. So I mostly want to keep this challenge as an incentive for me to keep doing what I'm doing, and maybe get that little extra push to do more, as this challenge will end just about the same time the semester does. I am shamelessly asking for encouragement. :barbershop_quartet_

Run: 35 total miles over 4 weeks

Bodyweight or Freeweight Training: 12x over 4 weeks

Adulting: 15 minutes of school work per day

30 minutes ago, Kes said:

I had locked up all the trigger points in my back from muscle imbalances, which were caused by inadequate core strength, which was in turn caused by diastasis recti from a pregnancy 7 years prior that had never fully knit back together.

I know what that's like. I had a bad Cesarean and months of neuropathy after that - and my muscles have never been the same since. Sympathy!

30 minutes ago, Kes said:

I've been running and intermittently doing body-weight exercises, but at the same time my plate is full with full-time work and full-time school and full-time single parenting. So I mostly want to keep this challenge as an incentive for me to keep doing what I'm doing, and maybe get that little extra push to do more, as this challenge will end just about the same time the semester does. I am shamelessly asking for encouragement. :barbershop_quartet_

Wow, you have a lot on your plate. Having been a single mom myself, I admire your ability to juggle it all! 

• Like 1
Level 10 Ranger | Respawned
Challenges 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Peers: Chronologically Blessed

Did 2.5 miles this morning at a track.  The first .75 was warm-up at conversation/training speed, then I did sprint splits where I sprinted the first 100m and then ran the remaining 300m at training pace for 1.25 miles, then did a .5 mile cool-down.

I felt pretty good afterward, though I was tired for a bit about an hour or two afterward. I recently bought a blender for smoothies, and so have been good about making those before I run and drinking them afterward, so I'm not getting as fatigued after running as I used to.

I did my minimum daily requirement of homework, but I'm going to try to get more done. I'm working on one of those papers where, when I start to get into it, I begin realizing that my thesis is too shallow and there are other points I want to make and that there's another way of analyzing the source material I want to include and and and, and then everything falls apart and I have to start over. I realize this is my process, so I don't get too disheartened because the final product is better for it. But ugggggh.

On 12/1/2016 at 4:33 PM, Laghail said:

I'll be following along and cheerleading for sure. What parts of your routine cause you the most stressed?

Schoolwork probably causes me the most stress.  At this point, doing my job is kind of old hat and I'm pretty efficient at getting my work done for my job.  But schoolwork...it's new material, doing essays and such don't always show clear progress, and I explicitly have people judging me. :)

Three more miles today, nice and slow pace.  It almost felt like a chore, though, so I'm glad that I'm not doing runs tomorrow or Wednesday.  Got some real progress done on schoolwork, too.