• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Vibrantella

Fifth Ella-ment

My fifth challenge, the one to solidify the fitness routine and restart the weight loss/fat shed.  I have already come down from BMI of 40 to 28, and put my T2D into remission.  For my Druid side, I'm a Reiki Master/Teacher, and a practitioner of EFT and EEM, I follow the Wheel of the Year and the cycles of the Moon.  Oh, and I've started a Classical Studies MA, which is currently very interesting, if demanding.

My goals for this challenge:

1.  Food - eat keto (average of 20 g carbs and 70 g protein per day) with intermittent fasting.  Eat smaller portions!

2.  Fitness - strength training  2x week (one of those with a PT).  HIIT with a kettlebell 3x week.  Walking to Mordor on a daily basis.

3.  Special Project - Restore the Core, a.k.a. Ella's Belly.  Yes, diet and exercise are helping with the visceral fat, but there's still plenty there that has to go (not to mention the weak muscles and damaged skin).  The inner workings could also do with an improvement!  The details of the special project will be finalised during Week 0, but may include some or all of the following: probiotics, fermented foods, planks, cutting out dairy, massaging the neurolymphatic reflex points, HM body oil, and hula-hooping.

Good luck to all!

• Like 6

Saturday 03 Dec 2016, Week 0, Day 6, and all is well! :D 

I'm actually coasting quite high on endorphins, as my measurements have shrunk all over (according to my PT), and I'm at my lowest weight in over 10 years (according to my scale).   Actually, the only time I was lower than this (by 4 kg) in my adult life was in 1999, the first time I tried the Atkins diet.  My BMI is now in the 27s (OK, 27.9, but still) ;), while less than 2 years ago it had climbed to 40.  Yay!

In other challenge news, I realised I'll be spending a week of it at my MIL's in France, where I won't have access to a gym nor the ability to record food.  My IF pattern will also change, to a 16:8, i.e. no breakfast.  I'll also have to be careful of the quantities of fabulous cheese they've got there!  I'll also have to check the opening pattern of my gym when I come back...

Last but not least, Project Belly.  I really should take before and after pics for that, but I find it so tricky what with being so used to sucking it in at all times.  Anyway, I've decided to concentrate on 3 things:

1.  Intake - I'm adding probiotics to the enzymes; also one portion of a fermented food per day

2.  Stretches - adding some abdominal work to the Eden Daily Energy Routine

3.  Exercises - Cat Vomit exercise as per Tim Ferris, and planking on 3 sides; also stomach vacuum when I remember!

Sorry, @Bookish Badger, I've decided it's too cold for hooping outdoors, and I don't have enough space in any of the rooms!

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

Cat Vomit exercise

This sounds like a vile exercise. (Pun intended.) No idea if it is though since I've never heard of it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dagger said:

This sounds like a vile exercise. (Pun intended.) No idea if it is though since I've never heard of it.

It's basically a stomach vacuum on all fours (cat pose).  But Tim Ferris is funny.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 7:11 AM, Vibrantella said:

I'm actually coasting quite high on endorphins, as my measurements have shrunk all over (according to my PT), and I'm at my lowest weight in over 10 years (according to my scale).   Actually, the only time I was lower than this (by 4 kg) in my adult life was in 1999, the first time I tried the Atkins diet.  My BMI is now in the 27s (OK, 27.9, but still) ;), while less than 2 years ago it had climbed to 40.  Yay!

This is so awesome! Just don't do what I do by celebrating too much lol. Keep with it! Stay strong! Fortify!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EternalJourno said:

This is so awesome! Just don't do what I do by celebrating too much lol. Keep with it! Stay strong! Fortify!

LOL, I'll be celebrating 10 kg lower, when I hit the "normal" BMI of 25.  Probably with a steak and cheese dinner, which is fully ketogenic (if we don't count the wine!) ;) 

• Like 4

Talking about celebrating, I made these Choc-Nut Clusters with 90% chocolate, raw Brazil nuts, macadamias and almonds.  I sprinkled mine with sea salt and chilli flakes, and cinnamon only for my OH (he's a bit of a wuss when it comes to spicy food).  Each is 250 kcal, 5 g protein and 3 g carbs.  One of those per day fits into my food choices :) 

In other news, after a slight hiccup with the Project Belly exercises (and probiotics), the challenge seems to be going well.  I've been recording things daily (or more often) in my Battle Log.

According to my PT, I have put on muscle on my calves and glutes, which makes me very happy! :D 

IMG_20161207_103639583.jpg

• Like 4

Almost the end of the (working) week, which means all of the fitness goals should have happened.  They did :D   Still, I seriously think I should add something for the weekend ;) , as I tend to just rush around doing chores, seeing friends, and just collapsing on the sofa.  A yoga or foam rolling session would go nicely, but...  when would I fit it in?  I'm so lazy at the weekend, and I feel I deserve that time to chill.  Maybe I deserve half an hour of mindful movement as well?  Movement is life, motion is lotion, use it or lose it....

Food is going well, even though one of my IF days changed from a 36-hour fast into a 16:8 day.  I needed the nutrition, I imagine! 

Project Belly is making me wobble (pun intended).  Even though I'm proud and happy of the weight loss I have achieved, looking closely at my still large and unsightly stomach can be disappointing.  Well, this is sort of the point of the project, anyway - learning to love myself, squishy and stripy and marked and damaged as well.  It's all life ink! ;)   I plan to continue the work faithfully, though, and we'll see if there's any difference by the end of the challenge.

• Like 4

On 12/9/2016 at 9:44 AM, Vibrantella said:

A yoga or foam rolling session would go nicely, but...  when would I fit it in?  I'm so lazy at the weekend, and I feel I deserve that time to chill.

I can relate to that feeling of needing to take it easy. One thing that has worked for me is removing structure on the weekend. That way I can do something active that I enjoy when the opportunity presents itself rather than being focused on when to squeeze it in. On weekends where I just don't want to do anything, stretches are always nice because they can be done in front of the TV or while visiting someone. :) 

• Like 1

A slight hitch as I woke up with UTI pain yesterday.  GPs are closed on Sundays, and they would just give me antibiotics which would ruin my gut flora, so ibuprofen and D-Mannose to the rescue.  I am feeling much better today, but still very tender in the general pelvic area, so no exercising, just gentle movement and walking.

Unfortunately, this infection seems to have made me ravenous, and I ate a lot yesterday (low carb, but it all adds up) and am not fasting today either.  I suppose my body needs the energy to fight the bacteria?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

I suppose my body needs the energy to fight the bacteria?

Indeed it does.

Sorry to hear you're in pain. I hope it sorts itself out quickly.

• Like 1

OK, five days of being lost in a black hole, and I'm not sure if I'm safely out yet...  :ambivalence:

Beware of the whining whine:

Spoiler

I did go to the gym, but didn't push myself very hard; I did one out of 2 kettlebell sessions; I ate low carb, but such huge quantities and so often that I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from keto/IF.  I still feel tired and unwell, and eating is a comfort, even though my stomach feels uncomfortably stretched.  I went to see Fantastic Beasts, which was nice, but the following day could not go to the library/bank/other chores and went home with a big jar of peanut butter instead :(.  I had two great Reiki sessions, but the other 3 days I did no energy work whatsoever, not even a full Daily Energy Routine.  Gosh, this is both boring and depressing, even to me!  I better hide it.

I have also started examining 2016 and planning goals for 2017, so that could be why I'm not present in the now.  Just listened to a podcast with Tim Ferris (his new book will be my Xmas present to myself) where he mentioned that people who live in the past tend to be depressed, and goals-oriented people, who live in the future, tend to be anxious.  So, I'm both depressed and anxious, yet I have the tools for grounding myself in the present - why am I not using them?

Fine.  For the rest of the week, the main goals will be more sleep and at least 45 minutes of meditation/energy work per day.

Still feeling very "bah, humbug" Christmas-wise and haven't bought any presents yet (only need 2 for the actual date, but still).  Tree, decoration, cards - not only uninterested but actively boycotting due to environmental issues and avoidance of Chinese tat.  At least until I crack on the 24th! ;)  Or maybe not, this time.  A living tree and natural decs might be just the thing, except last time I had a living tree it died in its pot by the summer as I didn't have anywhere to plant it.  I still don't.  Meh.

My thanks and apologies to anyone who actually read all of this!

• Like 3

I have also started examining 2016 and planning goals for 2017, so that could be why I'm not present in the now.  Just listened to a podcast with Tim Ferris (his new book will be my Xmas present to myself) where he mentioned that people who live in the past tend to be depressed, and goals-oriented people, who live in the future, tend to be anxious.  So, I'm both depressed and anxious, yet I have the tools for grounding myself in the present - why am I not using them?

Fine.  For the rest of the week, the main goals will be more sleep and at least 45 minutes of meditation/energy work per day.

Huh, interesting notion and thinking more about it, I do suppose planning a lot in the future does bring anxiety at times.

Also, great idea to focus on what you need to make you feel better. I've definitely noticed a day-to-day difference since I started to deal with emotions as soon as they cropped up instead of scheduling them for later when I have time. So if I suddenly feel anxious and can't do anything about it, I go into rest/recover mode. It usually means some deep breaths and letting myself feel the emotion, and then I pick up a fiction book and let myself read for a couple of hours. That way I get back most of my equilibrium and the rest of the day actually functions.

I definitely want to get back to meditation when I have time. I can't try and add it now because I have enough to do and I'm managing pretty well at the moment, but I appreciate random reminders. :3

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dagger said:

I can't try and add it now because I have enough to do

I find that the busier I am, the more I need to meditate, for physical, mental and emotional rewards.  However, sometimes I'm lazy... :D 

Slept longer today, after a good weight session last night.  No kettlebells this morning as even the PT told me I should take a proper rest the day after.  Also, already devoted 20 minutes to meditation before work, and have time for a half-hour when I come home.  Looking forward to a hot bath before bed too!

• Like 3

On December 16, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Vibrantella said:

I find that the busier I am, the more I need to meditate, for physical, mental and emotional rewards.  However, sometimes I'm lazy... :D 

For once, that isn't quite what I meant. I meant I can't have too many goals, then I won't do any of them. Right now, most of my goals are kind of dictated by things I need to do or things I've chosen to do right now. But when I finish one of them up, or when I can shift my focus for a while, then I'll add meditation in. My schedule is pretty well balanced right now, which is why I generally feel fine. :) (However long that lasts. :P)

On December 16, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Vibrantella said:

Looking forward to a hot bath before bed too!

Oooh, sounds good! I hope it was!