Cataleya Boards From Platform 9 3/4

Cataleya

Hello all! As you saw from my last challenge, I kind of fell off the map. I had a great time! I was very busy. But I need to get back on track. So here's a simple challenge to do just that.

HOGWARTS HOUSE CUP

hogwartsbanner.png

Rules

1 point for every daily completed item.

1 bonus point for going above and beyond per day. This cannot be awarded if the base point is not completed for that day.

bonus point per week for accomplishing a daily completed item each day for the entire week. This cannot be awarded if an exception is used at any point during the week.

1 exception per activity, where a lack of completion will not result in a penalty. These are to be used sparingly.

Awards

At the end of each week, I will tally up all of the points and divide them by 7 (minus exceptions).

The House with the highest ratio of completed items wins for that week.

Gryffindor_ClearBG2.png

Adventure

Gryffindors are known for their bravery and courage. They are the most adventurous of the houses. I should mirror that bravery by doing something each day for 30 minutes, whether that's running, weight lifting, yoga, etc. 

Exception: If I get sick and physically cannot exercise.

Bonus: 60 minutes of activity.

Hufflepuff_crest.png

No Soda

Hufflepuffs show dedication, hard work, patience, and kindness. They are the most loyal of the houses. I need to pull from them by being kind to my body and dedicated to the goal of eliminating soda from my diet.

Exception: If I'm in a situation where I literally cannot drink anything but soda and it is not advised that I go without drinking liquid for that time period.

Bonus: 64 oz of water.

Ravenclaw_ClearBG2.png

Write

Ravenclaws are studious, intelligent, creative, and wise. They are the most academically motivated of the houses. I should mirror this by doing work on one of my projects for 30 minutes a day.

Exception: If I get sick and physically can't write.

Bonus: 60 minutes of writing.

Slytherin_ClearBG2.png

Eat Simply

Slytherins are resourceful, determined, and good at self-preservation. They are the most cunning of the houses. I should mirror this by simplifying my diet, so I will need to be resourceful by eating mostly fresh food and prepping meals in advance.

Exception:  If I'm in a situation where I literally cannot eat anything but fast food and it is not advised that I go without eating for that time period.

Bonus: No sweets or unhealthy snacks.

My Fitness Data

Date Weight 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Lean Mass 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Fat Mass 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Lean Mass per Fat Mass ratio Fat lbs Left to Lose to hit 3.5 ratio
4-Dec-2016 188.5 136.1 52.4 2.60 13.5
11-Dec-2016          
18-Dec-2016          
25-Dec-2016          
1-Jan-2017          

• Like 11

Also, in case anyone was wondering:

• I organized a conference which took up a lot of time and made me super tired all the time.
  • Zelda Symphony was AWESOME.
  • I went to another conference that was like five days long and in New Orleans and it was AWESOME but also tiring.
  • I then went to my boyfriend's for Thanksgiving which was also AWESOME but also a little tiring.

So yeah. I was busy these past few months but hopefully things will even out with time. One challenge I see in this upcoming challenge is I will be home for a week or so and as you all know, it's kind of hard being home.

• Like 7

So I might steal this challenge set up one day! :) 

Here to cheer you on.

Image result for hogwarts cheering

• Like 2

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

HARRY POTTER LOVE!!! I have been re-obsessed with it lately!

Glad you are back with us, looking forward to see your house cup battle!! ^____^ ♡♡

• Like 2

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

The Symphony of the Goddess is great! Welcome back~

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

More in-depth update:

I haven't been feeling very well the past week or so, mostly when I've been at home. I can't really tell what the cause is. It could that I'm drained, quite simply. For reference, since the beginning of fall, I have:

• Participated in a friend's podcast and another's livestream
  • Worked on creating my own blog and posting intelligent stuff to it
  • Started a Facebook page and Twitter account for my research lab
  • Worked with our ethics board on a research project and had to rush to get it approved before we flew to Florida
  • Gone to Florida for data collection
  • Planned and hosted (and presented at) a regional conference (was the head organizer, apparently)
  • Presented a consulting project I did last year
  • Applied for and got funding to mentor an undergraduate researcher
  • Dealt with the Cubs furor (okay this was really fun though!)
  • Dealt with the election
  • Gone to the Zelda symphony (okay this was really fun though!)
  • Went to Louisiana for another conference and was there for almost a week, presented work there
  • Turned around and went out of state again to visit my boyfriend for the Thanksgiving holidays
  • Worked to make my workplace a more efficient place, which involves running around 2387 different departments who all tell you different things
  • Applied for academic job positions (which is much like applying for graduate school, for those familiar with that process)
  • Worked on my dissertation while trying to keep other people on track with their own research in my lab
  • Worked on stuff for three other labs

And probably other stuff I don't remember. And of course on top of all of this I've been trying to keep healthy but somewhere in all of this I got tired of the Medifast food, and that's when my weight started creeping back up. I am going to see if I can start losing weight again without it, but unfortunately I might have to start getting back on it if I don't see results after a few months. And then on top of it I had some hives or bug bites or something but it was a lot of them and it was really hard to tell where it came from, because of course I was in Louisiana and then in Indiana and around animals, and then I haven't really cleaned my apartment (I've tidied of course but not cleaned like our homes should be every once in a while) since my boyfriend moved out. So I have slowly been putting things either in the trash or in my donate pile over the weekend, and it's starting to look really nice. So I'm hoping that helps.

But yeah. I had a lot going on. I'll still probably be pretty busy coming into this new year, but I need to prioritize my health better. I once heard someone say, "Don't ever say you don't have time for something. It's not that you don't have the time, you just haven't made it a priority." So that's what I am going to do: get my priorities back in order. Focus on my health, focus on getting done with graduate school. It's really easy to let other things get in the way. But I need to do this for me.

Trying to keep myself motivated as I start this new challenge!

So today, I did not have soda, though I had an opportunity to. I did drink lots of water as well. So yay Hufflepuffs! I had managed to have no soda for a year before, so I'm really hoping to get back on track with this.

I did do a bunch of reorganizing, but that wasn't really defined as exercise activity, so I focused on 30 minutes of stretching/yoga. No bonus for that, but Gryffindor is still doing pretty well.

Sadly, no writing. I got distracted by FFXIV (I'm on Coeurl)--I've been trying to get to the Heavensward content, but that 2.0 content is long. I probably will get done with it this week though, but again... Priorities. Writing needs to come first. Maybe I'll institute a rule that I can only play when I've done 30+ minutes of writing first.

I did eat well today, meaning no fast food or anything like that, but sadly I did try to make myself a snack that just didn't really work out all that well. So here's hoping tomorrow is easier. I think I was really craving something sweet because I hadn't had soda, so I'm not gonna beat myself up about it, but I imagine that'll only get worse as the week goes on and I have no soda. We'll see!

• Like 5

WHEE FFXIV!  I'm on Balmung ^___________^  Yeah, the content and patches can get really time consuming if you're behind. X_X  I had a heck of a time plowing through what, at the time, was pre-expansion patch content and trying to break into Heavensward too.  What class are you using?

You can make yourself a priority!! ^______________^

(Also GO HUFFLEPUFFS)

• Like 2

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

4 hours ago, shaar said:

WHEE FFXIV!  I'm on Balmung ^___________^  Yeah, the content and patches can get really time consuming if you're behind. X_X  I had a heck of a time plowing through what, at the time, was pre-expansion patch content and trying to break into Heavensward too.  What class are you using?

You can make yourself a priority!! ^______________^

(Also GO HUFFLEPUFFS)

I'm currently a level 53 ninja, at the Steps of Faith quest. It'll be my first level 60 class when all is said and done. I'M SO CUTE

haha

• Like 1

Quickly, before I head to bed:

Gryffindor_ClearBG2.png

Activity: 1 + 1 (Assassin Mini and stretching)

Bonus: 0 + 0 (not feeling well today - hoping to run tomorrow, or at least jog)

Current Standing: 3 (Ratio of 1.0)

Hufflepuff_crest.png

No Soda: 1 + 1

Bonus: 1 +1

Current Standing: 1 (Ratio of 2.0)

Ravenclaw_ClearBG2.png

Writing: 0 +1 (did some organizational work to get back on track and worked on a grant application)

Bonus: 0 + 1

Slytherin_ClearBG2.png

Eat well: 1 + 1

Bonus: 0 + 1 (I might have eaten a little more than I would have liked to today, but none of it was crap food. I blame the no soda thing. Thankfully no real sugar today, other than a little in my coffee)

Current Standing: 2 (Ratio of 1.5)

• Like 4

Update:

Gryffindor_ClearBG2.png

Activity: 1 + 1 + 1 (Assassin mini and stretching--lots of stretching)

Bonus: 0 + 0 + 0

Sigh. I realized part of why I'm not feeling well is the no soda part. I woke up this morning and was like, "WHY AM I SO TIRED I DON'T UNDERSTAND I SLEPT WELL WHY AM I SO-oh." So here's hoping within the next few days I can muster up something.

Hufflepuff_crest.png

No Soda: 1 + 1 + 1

Bonus: 1 +1 + 1 

Current Standing: 1 (Ratio of 2.0)

This is going well at least. It's affecting my food choices, but only a little bit.

Ravenclaw_ClearBG2.png

Writing: 0 +1 + 1 (data cleaning and job applications)

Bonus: 0 + 1 + 1

Current Standing: 2 (Ratio of 1.33)

Despite being tired, I've been useful in terms of work and getting back into regular work on my dissertation stuff. Mostly it's just organizational at this point, but I really need to get reorganized, so.

Slytherin_ClearBG2.png

Eat well: 1 + 1 + 1

Bonus: 0 + 1 + 0

Current Standing: 2 (Ratio of 1.33)

So the no soda thing is affecting my eating decisions, and while I'm mostly eating simple and stuff, when I get super hungry/craving for sweets I end up getting a cheese-filled pretzel at Starbucks. Technically not fast food, but still not a huge fan of it, so no bonus for me.

Okay, so time for bed. I'm really hoping I shake off the "no soda" blues soon. I almost broke down and got one today. Whew.

• Like 6

Really like the goals broken-down by houses!  The points system looks good too.

Do you think the soda issue is because of a lack of caffeine or sugar- withdrawal?  Would juice mixed with sparkling water be an ok treat maybe once or twice a week?  i know some people prefer to kick the carbonation habit so, obviously, that idea wouldn't help if that is part of your goal.

could part of your fatigue be the weather?  I try to take plenty of vitamin D and get as much sun as I can (not a lot of real sun in Ohio this time of year).  Daylight savings really kicks my ass.

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Kicking soda DEFINITELY gives you withdrawal symptoms.  Stay strong and stick through it with no soda, you can do it!!  I like the idea of substituting some kind of sparking water like Lightning suggested.  Sometimes brains can be tricked. ;) (I often trick mine into thinking I'm having REAL CAFFEINE by drinking decaf coffee~)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lightning said:

Do you think the soda issue is because of a lack of caffeine or sugar- withdrawal?  Would juice mixed with sparkling water be an ok treat maybe once or twice a week?  i know some people prefer to kick the carbonation habit so, obviously, that idea wouldn't help if that is part of your goal.

3 minutes ago, shaar said:

Kicking soda DEFINITELY gives you withdrawal symptoms.  Stay strong and stick through it with no soda, you can do it!!  I like the idea of substituting some kind of sparking water like Lightning suggested.  Sometimes brains can be tricked. ;) (I often trick mine into thinking I'm having REAL CAFFEINE by drinking decaf coffee~)

Probably? But it's kind of the point. I intake too much sugar and caffeine, and I can't be trusted to slowly wean myself off, so I'm kind of stuck with this strategy. I guess that's what I get for getting back on it in the first place... And unfortunately I can't trick myself very easily, so juice + sparkling water unfortunately doesn't help. Like, because I consciously know that it's not the thing I am wanting, that desire doesn't go away. So like the last time I quit soda (which was successful for well over a year), the best thing I can do is honestly just stay as far away from it as possible until the symptoms subside. 

3 hours ago, Lightning said:

could part of your fatigue be the weather?  I try to take plenty of vitamin D and get as much sun as I can (not a lot of real sun in Ohio this time of year).  Daylight savings really kicks my ass.

It could be. I take a multivitamin, which has like 200% of the Vitamin D I need in a day, but maybe my body doesn't absorb it very well or something. I know my boyfriend's mom suggested to him (we take similar vitamins) that he take half in the morning and half in the evening. I might start doing that, see if that helps.

I weighed myself this morning and I'm at 191.4lbs. :( I have a doctor's appointment later this morning, which is probably not going to help my mood. I saw her last when I was at high 170s/low 180s, so I can only imagine her question is going to be, "What happened?"

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

I weighed myself this morning and I'm at 191.4lbs. :( I have a doctor's appointment later this morning, which is probably not going to help my mood. I saw her last when I was at high 170s/low 180s, so I can only imagine her question is going to be, "What happened?"

Hugs hugs hugs.  Hang in there~ <3  If it makes you feel any better, you're certainly not alone with the gain, it's overtaking our house too... I'm definitely up at least 6lbs from the summer.  Sigh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cataleya said:

It could be. I take a multivitamin, which has like 200% of the Vitamin D I need in a day, but maybe my body doesn't absorb it very well or something. I know my boyfriend's mom suggested to him (we take similar vitamins) that he take half in the morning and half in the evening. I might start doing that, see if that helps.

So you should be taking Vitamin D with food (it's fat soluble). Depending on when you normally take it, this might impact how well it is absorbed. 

Also, depending on what other drugs you take, this can impact how well they are absorbed.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I'm really hoping I shake off the "no soda" blues soon. I almost broke down and got one today. Whew.

Ya, that first week or so kicking caffeine is the worst. I've done it several times with coffee and it's no fun. But if you can power through the week, you'll find you actually feel better with no caffeine. You'll wake up better rested and feel more alert during the day. The sugar thing may take longer, but you'll find that craving dissipates, too.

And the worst part? Once you've gone a month or so without caffeine or excess sugar? Taking in either of those things makes you feel crappy. I mean, I guess that's a good thing, reinforcement and all that, but dammit, why can't I reward myself with a giant bottle of Coke when I've been so good about not having any giant bottles of Coke? So unfair! ;) 

• Like 4

otterbyte, level 3 chirpy otter assassin

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 3

current challenges: otterbyte juggles priorities  \\ old challenges:4-week: DEC16 * JAN17 * FEB 17 * APR 17 * JAN 18\\ Assassin MiniChallenge: Epic Throwdown Championship * Assassin's Age: Origins \\ Monkey Tamers United

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett

7 minutes ago, shaar said:

Hugs hugs hugs.  Hang in there~ <3  If it makes you feel any better, you're certainly not alone with the gain, it's overtaking our house too... I'm definitely up at least 6lbs from the summer.  Sigh.

Waaaah. That does make me feel better though. A little. I'd prefer if all of us got to our weight/fitness goals.

21 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

So you should be taking Vitamin D with food (it's fat soluble). Depending on when you normally take it, this might impact how well it is absorbed. 

Also, depending on what other drugs you take, this can impact how well they are absorbed.

Yeah, I take it with food. I usually just take it in the morning.

23 minutes ago, otterbyte said:

Ya, that first week or so kicking caffeine is the worst. I've done it several times with coffee and it's no fun. But if you can power through the week, you'll find you actually feel better with no caffeine. You'll wake up better rested and feel more alert during the day. The sugar thing may take longer, but you'll find that craving dissipates, too.

And the worst part? Once you've gone a month or so without caffeine or excess sugar? Taking in either of those things makes you feel crappy. I mean, I guess that's a good thing, reinforcement and all that, but dammit, why can't I reward myself with a giant bottle of Coke when I've been so good about not having any giant bottles of Coke? So unfair! ;) 

I relate so much to all of this haha. But yeah, I've cut caffeine before, so I know the deal. It just sucks going through it again. I do remember one time sometime last year when I was like, "Ooooh even in terms of soda drinking I haven't had root beer in a while, maybe I'll treat myself," and just... nope. It didn't taste nearly as good as it did when I was flooding my body with this stuff. I would have thought that would have been a permanent change, but I guess when I'm super stressed that's still the thing I want to go to, so I'll have to try harder with making that not a thing. You know, on top of the other stuff I'm trying to accomplish lol.

• Like 3