LydiaJaybird Makes a Splash

LydiaJaybird

Previous challenge:

So I didn't technically pass my last challenge, but I did succeed in getting some good habits going. Hopefully I can build on those habits and actually pass this time. Theme this time is Game of Thrones.

Main Quest - Lose weight - 4 lb minimum

9d7cdb7321882b000217c88f42ee1a25.gif

I lost weight at the beginning of my last challenge, then gained it back, then stayed steady. So. Let's try to actually lose some weight this time, hmm?

Goals

1. Best Laid Plots, Plans, and Schemes - plan all my food for the week either the Friday or Saturday before. Write down my daily plan each night before bed.

2. Feast Accordingly - Eat less than 1500 kcal/day, and drink at least 80oz of water (tea counts)

3. Do Ya Know How to Swim? - Use that shiny new gym membership and go swim for 25 minutes 3x a week. Walk at least 15 minutes 3x a week. Rest day once a week.

Life Quest

Be an adult! - Adult at least once or commit an act of self-care every day.

Measurements

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 205 lbs

Waist: 33.5"

Hips: 46.5"

Thigh: 29"

Grading

Each goal will be graded weekly & be worth 30% of that week's total grade. Life Points are no longer extra credit as that provided little incentive for me to actually DO said Life Quest. Instead, the Life Quest will also be graded, worth 10% of the week's total grade. My final grade will be the average of all four weeks. I need to make at least a B (80%) to pass the challenge.
Best Laid Plots, Plans, and Schemes - 10 points total. 1 each night for writing down my plan (yes, I know it seems weird, but writing things down is legit. You can plan out how you'll react to possible pitfalls, and you're more likely to do what you intended if you wrote it down.) 3 points for planning my food for the upcoming week.

tumblr_md66lzH8mo1rhs1yko4_250.gif

Feast Accordingly - 21 points total. 1 for each day's water, 2 for each day's calories. In order to curb my horrible 'all or nothing' attitude I tend to get, where I gorge after realizing I failed anyways, I can also lose points for this goal. Every 200 kcal I go over 1500 is -1 points.

tumblr_m2jihwP1zl1qe7335o1_500.gif

Do Ya Know How to Swim? - 9 points total. 2 for each swim, 1 for each walk. Swimming seemed like a good idea with my knee. I no longer have to wear a brace, but I'm wary of jumping straight back into running and aerials. I want it to heal all the way, not become a recurring problem. So, for now at least, swimming.

tumblr_mzm3gcUVyS1spao6ho1_r1_250.gif

Adulting/Self-Care - 7 points total. 1/day.

tumblr_n5u3dmUNYF1qh502no1_500.gif

Exceptions - If I get REALLY sick, I can be exempt. But I have to be SUPER DUPER sick. So sick that I can't even walk for 15 minutes or do a little bit of cooking. I seriously doubt I'll get that sick. *knocks on wood*

Motivation

Besides the outright self-loathing that is quickly developing from the massive amount of fat on me right now, I've also got some material motivations for the challenge! Passing the challenge earns me a new pair of bangarang leggings, specifically the Sylvanas pair I failed to claim last challenge. Losing more than 4 pounds earns me the Nozdormu pair as well.

Sylvanas3.jpg?v=1477339347Nozdormu1.jpg?v=1477339079

Tracker

Plots & Plans          Feast Accordingly                Swim                 Adult               Total

Week 1:        8/10                              14/21                           5/9                     6/7                 33/47 (70%)

Week 2:        1/10                               2/21                            1/9                     1/7                 0/47

Week 3:        0/10                               0/21                            0/9                     0/7                 0/47

Week 4:        0/10                               0/21                            0/9                     0/7                 0/47

• Like 3

Level 1 Half-elf Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 1

'From flabby geek to Sheik and Mystique'

Instagram: LJaybirdfly

Current Challenge:

Week 1, Day 1: did all the things! Huzzah! Did lots of adulting - cooking, laundry, hung up the entire pile of clothes on my closet floor, did dishes, & cleaned my kitchen sink, which was getting icky. No exercise - so that makes today my rest day. Ate about 1300 kcal & drank nearly a gallon of water! & I wrote my plan for tomorrow down, complete with times for important things. I'm debating tearing the page from my little notebook to carry around in my pocket - a physical reminder of my plan.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Current Challenge:

Hi there :)

Ready to see you shine!

On 12/2/2016 at 10:21 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Solid plan and sweet rewards! Swimming sounds like the perfect thing to do right now but I still hope you get to go back on the pole soon. :) 

Seconding this

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Week 1, Day 2: did all the things, AGAIN!! I gotta be careful, though. I have a really bad tendency to do awesome at the start and then be like, omg I'm awesome, I should reward myself. And then I lose all my momentum. So. NO SLACKING.

I haven't actually done my plan for tomorrow yet, but I've got my notebook right next to me and will do it right after I finish this post. I just try to put as much physical reading and writing in between my phone/computer and my sleep as possible.

For feasting, I had 104oz of water, (yayyy!!) and 1502 kcal. Which I'm gonna count as a win, cus thats 2 calories off. Like... what is that, half a baby carrot?

Went swimming today - yayyy. And then tiredly wandered into the men's locker room at the gym instead of the women's. T-T FML. (in my defense, they are really poorly marked. Instead of doors, they've got the switchback entrances with frosted glass, and Women/Men in clear glass on the entrance. I'm pretty blind, so glass on frosted glass is kinda hard to read, esp when I'm exhausted. Basically, I don't care that you wanna look fancy, LA Fitness. JUST HAVE A NORMAL SIGN FOR THE LOCKER ROOMS. *endrant*)

Did some self-care today: just finished a GLORIOUS hot bath, complete with candles, piano music, muscle therapy soap, and a double bourbon (yes, I counted it in my feast goal). Am feeling very relaxed and peaceful. And a little tipsy. ^-^

http://24.media.tumblr.com/7aa1108e5eaf5e850b57f89b0445400b/tumblr_mo9rcevkau1r00543o4_250.gif

In other news, I'm LOVING being a fully employed nerd. Just got the first of my Cyber Monday purchases delivered. xD I'll post a picture below.

• Like 2

Current Challenge:

awesome all round :D

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Week 1, Day 3: Did most of the things... Made a doctor's appointment for adulting, walked about a half hour, will plan momentarily, drank all my water, and ate about 1800 kcal. :( I was perfectly on plan, until I realized I had forgotten to plan for something - I volunteered to make and donate cookies for a United Way bake sale that is happening tomorrow. So suddenly, instead of going straight home from work to make dinner, I had to dash to the store... where I bought some ice cream because without a plan I'm pretty impulsive when it comes to food. T-T

https://www.chefxchange.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/joffrey.gif

That put me up to 1740. And then in the process of making the cookies, a number of spoons were licked and crumbs rescued, so I'm certain that put me over 1800, though since I didn't have a whole cookie, I doubt it pushed me further than that. :( So no points for making goal and -1 point for going at least 200 over. But at least I didn't hit 400 over. I'll just have to be certain that all the cookies make it to the bake sale tomorrow. >,<

• Like 2

Current Challenge:

Week 1, Day 4: didn't go for my swim after work >,< But I did drink all my water and meet my calorie goal! Did my planning. Adulting: paid bills T-T

Week 1, Day 5: did my walk on my lunch break at work. Drank all my water, ate 1800 kcal =(  For my self care I didn't actually DO anything, but I called my cousin and made plans to make gingerbread houses next week... and I feel like that counts? Cus I suck at initiating plans with people and then I end up alone in my apartment all the time. Planning will happen after this post.

For tomorrow, I think I'm going to give myself an exception for my feast goal - my team has been planning a holiday party for weeks now. We're all getting together at one of the girls' apartment to do a white elephant exchange, drink, eat and play board games. So I think I'll grant myself the points if I can come back and HONESTLY say that I feel like I enjoyed the party, but did not overindulge in any of the snacks. Thoughts, comments, opinions?

In other news: I'm very stressed right now... I just found out today at work that they're adjusting the rotations.... and that means my schedule is changing next week. So starting Sunday I work 10:45-9:15, Mon/Tues 9-7:30, Thurs 9-7:15. On the bright side, I get three days off each week, don't have to drag myself out of bed in the mornings, won't have to fight traffic, and will be receiving 10% more on my paychecks. On the down side, I only get a one-day weekend this week, and I won't be able to go back to the studio even when my knee is 100%... I'll be working during class times. =( So I'm pretty upset.

Current Challenge:

4 hours ago, LydiaJaybird said:

So I think I'll grant myself the points if I can come back and HONESTLY say that I feel like I enjoyed the party, but did not overindulge in any of the snacks. Thoughts, comments, opinions?

I think this sounds just right. At least I am of the philosophy that unless you're a professional athlete or dangerously unhealthy you should be able to enjoy drinking and eating for pleasure and without guilt. Just be sensible about it. :) 

4 hours ago, LydiaJaybird said:

I won't be able to go back to the studio even when my knee is 100%...

That's terrible. Are there any other studios nearby? Or maybe you could take privates once in a while and play at home? 

• Like 1
On 9.12.2016 at 10:46 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I think this sounds just right. At least I am of the philosophy that unless you're a professional athlete or dangerously unhealthy you should be able to enjoy drinking and eating for pleasure and without guilt. Just be sensible about it. :) 

That's terrible. Are there any other studios nearby? Or maybe you could take privates once in a while and play at home? 

seconding both of this, enjoy the party with some mindfulness and full pleasure :)

any other studios?? Open gym times to meet with dance mates?

• Like 1

The party was so much fun & I behaved myself (around the food... not the booze, hahaha), so I'll give myself credit there. But then I spent all Saturday hungover and hiding in my apartment, so there was no swimming... And then I forced myself to try to plan food through the hangover.... so my plan this week is a lot of yogurt and pb&js, bahahaha. But that's better than ordering in. So I'm okay with those two days. HOWEVER. Sunday I just acted like a bump on a log for no good reason whatsoever. -_-

Moving on to today.

Week 2, Day 2: Drank all my water, and was good on calories. Took a walk on my break at work. Will plan for tomorrow after I post. And for self care, I got together with my cousin and her kid and we made a gingerbread house! ^-^ It was a lot of fun - and the pictures are hilarious. It's super obvious which side the three-year old was entrusted with decorating, and which side the adults decorated. Her side is an abstract burst of colorful candy, and our side has shingles, a couple trees, a pretzel fence, a candy cane mailbox, and a blue icing pool. I'll post a picture below. :) We also all ate some candy on the side, but I've decided not to try to calculate that into my calories since we didn't overindulge, and it's kind of an integral part of decorating a gingerbread house xD Also, I stuck to the yogurt pretzels and Andes mints, and gave a hard no to the gumdrops, icing, candy canes, etc.

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Week 2, Day 3

https://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/jun-27-2016-09_15-dragons.gif?w=635&h=354

Image doesn't relate to anything, it just makes me really happy, haha. I'm probably going to start posting random pictures and gifs like that on my updates, just for the funsies. They can't always relate to what I'm saying. #sorrynotsorry But anyways.

Full points for water and food, yay!

Also went swimming, go me. Even though I only did one of my swims last week (boo), I felt much better about it today. I didn't need to take as many breaks between laps. Ended up completing four sets of 50m free, 50m breast, 50m back. That plus warm-up and cool down laps and I swam a total of 750m. (30 laps) Which sounds super impressive... until you realize that it's not even half a mile >,< lol. But it burns as much as running more than a mile, so still #winning.

As for planning, I'll be doing that after I post. And I'll actually do it... yesterday I ended up just derping online and then went to sleep >,<

I didn't do any adulting or self care today, though. :/

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

yay on party fun and good job getting back on the wagon

Thirding on cute gingerbread house! I remember baking one with my kids and it totally fell apart even though we used lots of sugar coating for glue :D but it was fun and tasted great.

Swimming nearly half a mile is totally impressive :o great job!!

• Like 1

hey there :cheerful:

you up for a new challenge?

• Like 1

On 1/2/2017 at 6:43 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

hey there :cheerful:

you up for a new challenge?

YES

So sorry I fell off the face of the earth there - I spent the last two weeks up in TN and NC with my family (and ex... yeah that happened, lol) for the holidays and basically just gave up on the challenge >.< I did swim at least once a week (except for this week so far... EEK), but I still gained quite a bit of holiday weight... :( So embarrassing. Made a challenge to lose weight - gained weight. Wah. But yes, I'm back now, (despite some HORRIBLE airline experiences, ugh. Nobody fly Allegiant. EVER. Not worth the low cost.) and ready to try again... again. I don't think I can remember passing a challenge in recent history, actually now that I think about it... :( I might need to go locate my OLD OLD challenges from my old account and see what I was doing differently... because that's when I was doing well... That was also like 2 years ago. Ugh. Well, I'll go find them, and try to get some inspiration for my upcoming challenge. Link will be posted here when I make it.

Oh,and regarding my studio issue: I found a place that does lyra and silk classes that I'll be able to make, and there's another pole studio (albeit inferior to the one I was attending...) that I'm going to look into. Lower quality classes still beat no classes. And I'll look into the option of privates + at-home practice, but I suspect privates are a bit too pricey for me.

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

so glad you are back now :cheerful:

Doesn't matter if of how often you drop out as long as you come back to us :)

Looking forward to your new challenge!!

• Like 1

I have no idea what makes for a successful challenge. Once in a while it just clicks but most of them just kind of disintegrate. But I wonder if it's not just a question of making them a priority? For me if I'm completely honest the challenges have become more of a chat channel than and then the goals have become secondary. Not this year though! I'm going to take the challenges seriously and so are you. :P And we'll kick ass at them. Deal?

That's nice you found silks and hoop! Shame about the teaching at the pole place though... I wouldn't completely dismiss privates. Yes they're more expensive but if you use them to supplement your home practice or lessons in the crappier studio you can still gain huge benefits even if you only take them once every 1-2 months or so, or just when you get stuck or unsure about technique.

• Like 1