Finishing Strong

PunchTonic

Hello!! 

Ah, it's getting tough these days. Steve's new article about maintaining momentum through winter is so apt right now. This challenge, I'm going to focus on doing the things I've gotta do, while attempting to maintain what I outta be doing (balancing the urgent and the important).

Here are the battles I've been fighting lately: 

1. Graduate school applications. My first application is due Dec 15. Grad school has been on my mind since August. I'm soooooo close to the finish line!

2. Research paper. My advisor has set a tentative Dec 9th deadline for a draft. Gosh, I feel like I've been working on this for forever as well. Mostly in a "binge and fast" fashion. :/ It's not good, but I'm glad this will be over soon too! Then it's just revising and hopefully submitting the paper by the end of the year!

3. Money probz. Usually my finances are on-point, but this season's got me stressed. I have a really big family, so gifts add up. I don't want to NOT send out gifts, but between the holidays, car stuff, travelling, and application fees, I'm really feeling strapped. I suppose there's not much I can do about it, but it's something that I've been dealing with lately. 

For these upcoming weeks, I'm going to do some of the usual challenges and also attempt to complete some NF Academy Quests:

Main Challenges

1. Floss (X/7) -     Dental Hygiene FTW

2. Drink a cup of water in the morning (X/7) -  I'm trying to stay better hydrated through the day. Maybe this will help me get kick-started.

Academy Goals (one per week in addition to the ones above):

Week 1. Pack a lunch for work (X/5) -       a true challenge now that I have officially run out of Thanksgiving leftovers. xD

Week 2. Keep a food log (X/7) -        I'm bad at daily accountability. I already even have an instagram for this. You can find me at punch_tonic.

Week 3. No junk food (X/7) -        I think I decided that dessert is acceptable.

Week 4. No unplanned snacking (X/5) -        There's so much candy in my house....so yeah this is pretty important.

Bonus points! (+1% ea):

Read before bed 

Exercise*

Avoid Carbs (1 point/meal)*

Loot    I'm trying this thing where instead of a specific item, it's a "coupon". I'm pretty strict with my money, so I think giving myself "permission" to spend frivolously will be motivating. Maybe it won't! We'll see! 

100% (high success) - $60

80% (medium) - $40

60% (low) - $20

<50% (consolation) - $1/bonus point with a star

Are y'all excited for the end of the dumpster fire that was 2016?!?!?! Gotta finish strong!

• Like 1

Level 8 Assassin-Monk
Challenges: Current7654321

#streamlined

So excited to start the new year! (Except not because I've got three days of exams as soon as I get back to school on the 3rd. But at least 2016 will be over?)

Honestly, November has sucked so much of my money dry, and I know December will as well. Awesome goals and focuses though! 

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

Check in! 

Week 1 thus far:

Main Challenges

For flossing and drinking water in the morning I've been doing OK. If I allow myself to be lax with these tasks, I don't do them... I guess that's why it's a challenge. And important for building good habits! Maybe in a year or two they actually will be haha. Part of what makes drinking water difficult (other than I don't think about it) is that I drink coffee in the morning and that usually quenches whatever thirst I have. I've been likened to a camel in that I can go really long stretches of time without drinking water (or anything really) - a bad habit I developed as a kid. I think if I keep this challenge in the future (in an attempt to stay well-hydrated), I'll try to cut back on caffeine too. 

Week 1. Pack a lunch for work - so far so good! We've had at least one serving of leftovers every day this week. In the summer when I was super motivated to reduce carbs, I was eating a lot of salads, so that's my plan for when leftovers run out. I'm still trying to find things to eat (Snacks especially) that are semi-paleo and vegetarian. Why? Because my sister is a vegetarian but we end up eating a looooot of bread and pasta at home. Also, I say semi-paleo because I freaking love peanut butter and no one's perfect. xD

Bonus points! (+1% ea):

Read before bed    I read a lot online, but for this challenge I want to read physical books, or at least, nothing with a back-light for sleep disruption purposes. So nothing yet. 

Exercise*     I went to play volleyball yesterday with some friends. I'd been on a hiatus since the end of October because I was (still am) hyper-focused on applications and finishing my research paper. But it was nice to play again...I missed it a lot! I'm hoping that in the new year, or in a few weeks at least, I can pick it back up (and train for a half-marathon, and try parkour, and take up tae kwon do.... xD I want to do it all!)

Avoid Carbs (1 point/meal)        hahahaha not yet. (Not that I've been trying that hard) Aside from the breakfasts that I don't eat, but that doesn't count. 

I've been making some steady progress on my research paper. In the past 2 days I've written a 1.7K discussion section and conclusion! There are still some tests I need to run and figures I need to make, and a LOT of cleanup to do (citations are the worst). I swear the staff at the library I work at see me more than my family. But I'll be out of this soon! And hopefully a publication will be on the plate in 2017. :)

For holiday gifts, I've just decided to send holiday cards for the most part. I'm still in my early 20's and most of my family knows that I work for a nonprofit (aka I be broke, yo), SO I don't think anyone will take it personally. I do want to jazz it up somehow (maybe a picture? I wish I had 2oz of creative talent, urgh). I'll think about it some more, but if anyone has suggestions, lemme know! 

Level 8 Assassin-Monk

#streamlined

3 minutes ago, PunchTonic said:

Part of what makes drinking water difficult (other than I don't think about it) is that I drink coffee in the morning and that usually quenches whatever thirst I have. I've been likened to a camel in that I can go really long stretches of time without drinking water (or anything really) - a bad habit I developed as a kid. I think if I keep this challenge in the future (in an attempt to stay well-hydrated), I'll try to cut back on caffeine too. 

You and me both. I don't know if you know this or not, but there's actually a lot of water in coffee. :-P But this is also my goal. I get a giant-ass iced coffee from Starbucks every morning on the way to work, and I want to phase it out.

Rangers, ho!

My Character and Epic Quest

My current Challenge

Previous Challenges: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

56 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

You and me both. I don't know if you know this or not, but there's actually a lot of water in coffee. :-P But this is also my goal. I get a giant-ass iced coffee from Starbucks every morning on the way to work, and I want to phase it out.

XD i knowww i know, and that's what i tell myself too. But because caffeine is a diuretic, it also is dehydrating... I always wonder what the net difference is. And it's hard to give up a warm cuppa on these cold winter days....I'm amazed you can drink it iced! hahah

• Like 1

Level 8 Assassin-Monk

#streamlined

3 minutes ago, PunchTonic said:

XD i knowww i know, and that's what i tell myself too. But because caffeine is a diuretic, it also is dehydrating... I always wonder what the net difference is. And it's hard to give up a warm cuppa on these cold winter days....I'm amazed you can drink it iced! hahah

I'm always very thirsty in the morning, and hot coffee doesn't just quench me. Also, I'm pretty good at the cold. :-) My husky has trained me to enjoy it.

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

G  U  Y  S   I DID IT. I finished a complete, all sections written, references cited, figures in appropriate order draft of my research paper. 20 pages, 6.5K words, a year and a half later and it's finally DONE. There will probably be at least 3 more versions of edits and revisions, but I'm hoping it will get submitted (and more hopefully, accepted) by the beginning of 2017! Now all that's left is submitting my graduate school applications (due Dec 15) and I'll be freeeeeeeee. I JUST GOTTA PUSH THROUGH ONE MORE WEEK. 

Main Challenges

Floss - 5/7

Drink Water - 6/7

Week 1. Pack a lunch for work - 5/5 :D 

Bonus points! (+1% ea):

Read before bed    0 so far

Exercise*     1 so far      I just ended my December hiatus and joined my old volleyball team because (thankfully!) my professional development workload has eased up. And I'm planning on pre-training for a half-marathon running program to begin at the end of January, so I fully expect this to bump up in the next 2 weeks! It's gotta, I haven't gone running in like, 2 months! D:

Avoid Carbs (1 point/meal)     1  so far. I just remembered I ate a salad at chipotle the dinner other day and it didn't have rice in it, so I'm finally on the board for this one. xD

This week, the academy goal is to keep a food log for 7 days, which I will be doing in my bullet journal. I know there's not really any public accountability, at least on the forums, but it's the only thing I even get close to looking at every day. It allows me the flexibility to write something down that I ate, but didn't IMMEDIATELY get a picture of when it was set in front of me. 

I also wanted to try doing a small body-weight workout in the morning. Just something that will get my heart pumping, but I won't be all sweaty after (I usually shower at night). I mainly want to work on plyometric skills and upper-body (because my upper-body strength is dismal). If anyone's got some good tips/exercises, I'm open to suggestions!

Level 8 Assassin-Monk

#streamlined

13 hours ago, PunchTonic said:

G  U  Y  S   I DID IT. I finished a complete, all sections written, references cited, figures in appropriate order draft of my research paper. 20 pages, 6.5K words, a year and a half later and it's finally DONE. There will probably be at least 3 more versions of edits and revisions, but I'm hoping it will get submitted (and more hopefully, accepted) by the beginning of 2017! Now all that's left is submitting my graduate school applications (due Dec 15) and I'll be freeeeeeeee. I JUST GOTTA PUSH THROUGH ONE MORE WEEK. 

Wooooooo!

13 hours ago, PunchTonic said:

Week 1. Pack a lunch for work - 5/5 :D 

Well done. This was the keystone of my weight loss battle. Gym and running and everything are great, but you can't outrun your fork.

Doing great work! Keep it up!

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

Good morning everyone! Sorry for no updates - My bro got FFXV and now that I've (mostly) finished my grad school apps, we've just been playing nonstop. That along with the crappy weather, and I've just been lazing about the house like a potato.

OH YEAH! I turned in my first graduate school application on the 15th!  I'm so excited 1) to be done with that and 2) for the next chapter in my life that it's somewhat overwhelming. I still have 2 applications to turn in, but the essay questions are basically the same, so it's just a matter of editing them and making sure they answer the prompted questions and then I can turn them in. Oh yeah, and pay T__T  

Anyhow, here's how week 2 went:

Main Challenges

Floss - 3/7  ooooh I need to get better at this. When I'm busy and every day looks the same (wake up, work, study, eat, sleep), I'm good at keeping up with the nighttime routine. Really what ends up happening is that I drink wine while watching TV at night, then I fall asleep and when I get up I just go straight to bed. Oops.

Drink Water - 3/7  eeeek! To be fair... I wasn't pushing myself to check this off. I can, but I don't think it's helping to keep me hydrated or wake me up which was the "point" of me making this challenge. So the motivation is gone....but I still want to do well, so I'll fight back these next two weeks!

Week 1. Keep a Food log - I won't bore y'all with the details. I know this quest is predominantly so one becomes more aware and therefore, more mindful about what one is eating. I already feel like I do a good job of that, so really I did this just to check off the quest and get the XP lol. BUT! I did eat 2 no carb meals and that's awesome. 

Bonus points! (+1% ea):

Read before bed     0 so far... I need some bonus points to bring up my grade right now. Also I have a book due at the library next week, so it's time to get back into it.

Exercise*     2 so far      Volleyball is saving my butt. 

Avoid Carbs (1 point/meal)     3 so far. Vegan chili for the win.  Even if I'm not doing well with NO carbs, I do consciously try to reduce carbs or go for lower glycemic-index foods, like tortillas and sweet potatoes over bread and regular potatoes. so *shrugs* I don't feel like I'm not "winning" when I don't rack up the points on this one. 

On 12/13/2016 at 7:00 AM, imprimis5 said:

you can't outrun your fork

So true. That'll be my challenge in the winter especially because motivation to exercise is EXTRA low. My academy challenge this week is to not have junk foods. There's so much candy and sweets in the house and office this time of year, so it'll be tough, but necessary!

• Like 1

Level 8 Assassin-Monk

#streamlined

As an update, things are not looking well. I think I just let the holiday and being off work take over my schedule. I also still have the "excuse" of allowing myself to relax after the past few months being on the grind. 

This week, I'm going to try to reign in my snacking but if last week is any indication, it might not end well. We'll see! 

Level 8 Assassin-Monk

#streamlined

On 12/27/2016 at 7:46 PM, PunchTonic said:

As an update, things are not looking well. I think I just let the holiday and being off work take over my schedule. I also still have the "excuse" of allowing myself to relax after the past few months being on the grind. 

This week, I'm going to try to reign in my snacking but if last week is any indication, it might not end well. We'll see! 

ahh yep, self-fulfilling prophecy. 
After transferring all my stuff to my new bullet journal for 2017, I don't even think I kept my little challenge maker sheet. So as far as grading myself, it's more of a gut feeling than an actual calculation. 

While I did really well in the beginning, I slacked off towards the end, especially regarding the siren's call that was all the holiday goodies out and about. I kept up with flossing about 5/7 days a week, but as for drinking every morning, I just stopped. The motivation wasn't there and I didn't actually notice any benefits, so that was the first thing to end.

I did a decent job of not having any unplanned snacks. I think in this year, I'm going to try to plan out all my snacks as well as meals because then I won't have an excuse to snack badly when I'm hungry between meals and I'll always have healthy snack options on-hand.

So, though I didn't end this year as strong as I'd hoped, I stumbled across the finish line with a lot of successes and I'm happy for that. This year, I've decided to focus on my spiritual and physical health. I feel like in my fitness journey (which started about 6 years ago when I went to college and had to start working out/making meals on my own), I've let "big" events that crop up in my life (applying to jobs, adjusting to said jobs, moving, travelling, working on a big paper, studying for final exams, etc) distract and derail me. Now I believe I'm ready to make my personal health the true, genuine, number 1 priority in my life, as it should be. It's amazing how much the world can convince you otherwise!

Level 8 Assassin-Monk

#streamlined