Jump to content

DrFeelgood XVII: Advent


DrFeelgood

Recommended Posts

It's been a full year since I uprooted my cozy little life in Iowa and moved to Oklahoma.  While it's been full of new and exciting things as well as some unexpected difficulties the one thing I really regret about the move is how much I've struggled to stay fit--especially in the last few months of battling pain I've lost a great deal of strength and gained a good bit of scale weight.  Today I'm getting back in the game (again) and turning the momentum around.  The last challenge started strong but fizzled early, so I'm determined to start "next year" a month early.  To that end, I'm going to finish off 2016 with a full December challenge: 31 days of mindful fitness working toward my usual cadre of specific goals.  There are plenty of obstacles--in addition to the Christmas holiday there are two family birthdays within a week of each other--and I'm still not certain of my current capabilities, but I'm going to do whatever I can to keep from having to buy larger clothes.

 

Goals:

1. Workout - 3 times per week for 60 minutes per session; focus on core strength, flexibility, and mobility; incorporate the at-home portion of my previous OT/PT that has been completed.  Generally work up a sweat and stoke the metabolism.

2. Eat - 1800 calories per day.  Macros don't matter, but as always the plan will be to stick to Primal-ish foodstuffs.

3. Drink - Water.  No liquid calories.  No excessive caffeine.  One can of Diet Dr Pepper is permitted before noon each day.

4. Sleep - Get back to a regular bedtime schedule.

 

Time to make the donuts...

  • Like 6

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Link to post

12/1 - solid first day back on program.  I'm in training at work this week, so lunches have been a little by the seat of the pants.  I got a sandwich at Subway.  For afternoon snack I had a handful of almonds, then I cooked pork loin chops with baked sweet potatoes and salad for dinner.  Most importantly I avoided all after-dinner snacking.  No real exercise to speak of, but I'm going to focus on getting my eating under control before worrying too much about the other goals.  Beverages were slightly off, bedtime was a little late.  It's a good start to December.

  • Like 3

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Link to post

Great challenge.Nice to see you're starting the new year early and not letting the holiday be an excuse to put off fitness.

  • Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Link to post

Following again.

  • Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

52,53,54

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to post
22 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I found you and I am following!

 

Is this a metaphor? Because giggity giggity!

Great to have you along. :)

 

It's a metaphor for "time to get to work," but if it means something better to you then I'd be happy to run with it. ;)  There were donuts at work yesterday and I shunned them all. :D

 

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Great challenge.Nice to see you're starting the new year early and not letting the holiday be an excuse to put off fitness.

Thanks for finding me.  I didn't want to wait another month, largely because my clothes are straining. :lol:  I really don't want to have to buy bigger stuff.

 

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following again.

goldeneye-tie.gif

  • Like 1

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Link to post

12/2 - Almost a good day, but I'll settle for "good enough."  I was on track for a nice deficit until I stayed up way too late (almost always the start of my bad ideas) and ate half a pan of brownies.  That erased the deficit but didn't impose a surplus, so no real injury.  I'll walk it off.  I need to learn to just go to bed.  I still managed to keep my beverage goal intact for the day.  I'm calling day 2 a draw.

 

The household has been battling the plague since Thanksgiving ended, and this week has been my turn.  I made it through training at work, but I'm pretty beat.  Today I'm taking it easy and watching the annual "Bedlam" game (OU vs. OSU) while we roast another turkey for dinner.  I'm looking forward to some rest (and turkey). :)

  • Like 5

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Link to post

d42bbdf9420b1ae0775894295a3b9ae6fbdfdcd8

 

On 2-12-2016 at 1:31 AM, DrFeelgood said:

Time to make the donuts...

 

On 2-12-2016 at 7:58 PM, Sylvaa said:

Is this a metaphor? Because giggity giggity!

How can I still be so innocent as to believe you are actually going into the kitchen to make donuts?! 

  • Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

 

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

 

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Link to post
19 hours ago, Terah said:

How can I still be so innocent as to believe you are actually going into the kitchen to make donuts?! 

 

I just assume that anything that doesn't quite make sense to me on a Doodlie thread is actually a metaphor for something else. 

 

21 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

12/2 - Almost a good day, but I'll settle for "good enough."  I was on track for a nice deficit until I stayed up way too late (almost always the start of my bad ideas) and ate half a pan of brownies.  That erased the deficit but didn't impose a surplus, so no real injury.  I'll walk it off.  I need to learn to just go to bed.  I still managed to keep my beverage goal intact for the day.  I'm calling day 2 a draw.

 

The household has been battling the plague since Thanksgiving ended, and this week has been my turn.  I made it through training at work, but I'm pretty beat.  Today I'm taking it easy and watching the annual "Bedlam" game (OU vs. OSU) while we roast another turkey for dinner.  I'm looking forward to some rest (and turkey). :)

 

I know you are trying to eat appropriately, but just seeing that you ate half a pan of brownies is impressive to me. 

 

Hope you are feeling better and the plague leaves the house for good!

  • Like 2
Link to post
11 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I just assume that anything that doesn't quite make sense to me on a Doodlie thread is actually a metaphor for something else.

 

On 12/3/2016 at 2:52 PM, Terah said:

How can I still be so innocent as to believe you are actually going into the kitchen to make donuts?! 

 

Ah the joys of being the Doodlie grandpa...I guess I'm the only one who remembers Fred the Baker:

 

 

Terah, you are clearly excused since you aren't a 1980s American. ;)

 

11 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I know you are trying to eat appropriately, but just seeing that you ate half a pan of brownies is impressive to me.

 

I was both proud and mortified, so I'll take the compliment. :)

  • Like 5

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Link to post

12/3 - Restful day accomplished.  My sequel roast turkey headlined a repeat (this time not gluten-free) Thanksgiving-style family feast.  I didn't count or log, but I don't need math(s) to know that I overdid it.  Oh well, it was delicious and I enjoyed it with much gratitude for all the good things God has granted in my life.  I'm still riding the win of shunning donuts on Friday. :lol:

 

Bedtime was late and beverages were a bit off.  I don't know why I can't give fitness the priority and attention I'd like it to have.  I do know that the constant overeating has me feeling pretty terrible, both physically and psychologically.  You'd think that would be enough to spur some action, but I'm really having to fight with myself to make any smart fitness decisions at all lately.

 

12/4 - Another day of overeating and not tracking anything.  Our church held the annual Christmas party this evening, and a few of the men prepared a bunch of smoked brisket and pulled pork.  I was doomed from the moment I walked through the door. :D  It didn't help matters that my lunch earlier was leftover turkey feast, though I did omit all starches and stick to just turkey and veggies.  For the first time this year I indulged in a regular Coca Cola, because it just feels like Christmastime to me.  I still have a chance to get to bed on time tonight to save at least one win today.

 

This morning's weigh in shows no change from the beginning of the previous challenge.  That's neither bad nor great.  I woke up late for church and didn't get a progress photo, but you can just click the 16-10 in my signature to see where I started the last one.

 

Tomorrow is another day and a new opportunity to do something constructive.  I definitely need some exercise. :)

  • Like 4

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Link to post
4 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Ah the joys of being the Doodlie grandpa...I guess I'm the only one who remembers Fred the Baker:

 

Terah, you are clearly excused since you aren't a 1980s American. ;)

Are you calling me a Dutch Grandma?!

 

4 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Tomorrow is another day and a new opportunity to do something constructive.

 

  • Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

 

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

 

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Link to post

"Time to make the donuts" was a part of growing up.  Your usage made perfect sense, but I guess it could make sense as a euphemism too.  

 

  • Like 5

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

 

Spoiler

 

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

 

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

 

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

 

Link to post
12 hours ago, Ensi said:

Now that's a T-shirt..

Maybe I can get Bubbles to make one for me. :D

 

8 hours ago, Terah said:

Are you calling me a Dutch Grandma?!

Totally the opposite. :)  I was lamenting how young everyone must be since they didn't get my "donuts" reference.

 

1 hour ago, LadyShello said:

"Time to make the donuts" was a part of growing up.  Your usage made perfect sense, but I guess it could make sense as a euphemism too.  

I knew you'd get the reference...that's not me calling you Doodlie Grandma, BTW (unless you're honored by the title ;)).  I still can't think of what it would be a euphemism for--we're all suffering for the distinct lack of Scotty.

 

4 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Now that you've posted this, I totally remember. Does that make me a Doodlie grandma? 

 

Sounds like a wonderful weekend regardless of [lack of] progress!

Doodlie Grandma would've known it right off; needing the reminder probably makes you Doodle Team Mom.

 

It was a good weekend despite ongoing Plague issues.  I just can't seem to shake this cold.

___________________

 

Update to 12/4: I did not get to bed on time.  In fact I stayed up way too late watching Pacific Rim while letting my stomach settle after dinner.  It was a rough night, but I'm plugging ahead today--I'll probably have to bail on deliberate exercise today since my schedule is completely screwed, but I'll try to get some stretching in tonight before bedtime.  Ugh, real life really hates fitness, it seems. :lol:

  • Like 5

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Link to post
14 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Update to 12/4: I did not get to bed on time.  In fact I stayed up way too late watching Pacific Rim while letting my stomach settle after dinner.  It was a rough night, but I'm plugging ahead today--I'll probably have to bail on deliberate exercise today since my schedule is completely screwed, but I'll try to get some stretching in tonight before bedtime.  Ugh, real life really hates fitness, it seems. :lol:

 

Pacific Rim is awesome!! Staying up late totally justified :D Doing some stretching sounds good. How about you try exercising just for 5 minutes at home and see, if you'd like to keep going even longer? Sometimes you just need to start with low expectations. Just try and enjoy it!

  • Like 1

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

Link to post
18 minutes ago, Ensi said:

Pacific Rim is awesome!! Staying up late totally justified :D Doing some stretching sounds good. How about you try exercising just for 5 minutes at home and see, if you'd like to keep going even longer? Sometimes you just need to start with low expectations. Just try and enjoy it!

 

I'll try and find some logs to practice tearing them in half. ;)

  • Like 1

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Link to post

I'm 35 and I got the donuts reference, I even envisioned the commercial you posted.

  • Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

52,53,54

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to post

12/5 - I didn't get any exercise; instead I spent my evening setting up my cheapie electric guitar since the others are in project status (and currently unplayable) and the worship band leader at church wants me to come to the next practice session.  I feel like I'm making progress toward the tone I'm looking for, and my playing is almost consistent enough to join the team.  We'll see how it goes later this week.

 

Guitar practice trumped bedtime, so that's a miss but not a huge one.  I was super tired yesterday and I sipped a 2-liter of DDP to stay alert and productive all day at work again again, so that's also a miss.  However, I did finally turn in a decent calorie deficit on the day, so that's a big win for this challenge.  Losing body fat is my primary fitness objective at the moment, and eating right is the most effective goal I have toward reaching it.  I can definitely build on that.

  • Like 6

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Link to post
3 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

I didn't get any exercise; instead I spent my evening setting up my cheapie electric guitar since the others are in project status (and currently unplayable) and the worship band leader at church wants me to come to the next practice session.  I feel like I'm making progress toward the tone I'm looking for, and my playing is almost consistent enough to join the team.  We'll see how it goes later this week.

 

Woohoo!  Sounds like fun.  

  • Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

 

Spoiler

 

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

 

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

 

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

 

Link to post
6 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

I spent my evening setting up my cheapie electric guitar since the others are in project status (and currently unplayable) and the worship band leader at church wants me to come to the next practice session.  I feel like I'm making progress toward the tone I'm looking for, and my playing is almost consistent enough to join the team.  We'll see how it goes later this week.

That sounds like a lot of fun! I love making music with other people :) 

  • Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

 

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

 

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines