Time to Prepare for New Year, New StarGazer

StarGazer

Greetings my Ranger Nerdlings!

It has been a while. A long while. I haven’t done and completed a proper challenge in… almost 2 years? Over 2 years? MANY MONTHS. We’ll go with that. I’ve not been particularly active on the forums in a long while either and I think that right now I really need to shake that up and get back on this support and accountability train. Thanks to my good friend Life, I got off of my consistent workouts and I really need to get back to that and get myself on track again so I can feel good. I used to feel good. I used to look good. Instead right now I feel weak and blah. This is why I’m back, my Nerds. I need to fix this so I can be a more badass version of myself. And I've determined that with you Rangers (let's be real, I should probably be a Ranger too) is where I should be for this.

ANYWAY. GOALS.

Goal 1: Do the Thing

I need to break back into working out consistently. I took a month of pretty much doing absolutely nothing, got back to the gym Wednesday with a short and light workout, and am still severely sore today. If I am going to be ready to do all the things I want to do starting in January, I need to rebuild consistency. For that I am going to:

- Get to the gym to lift 2+ times per week

- Run (HIIT) or play ultimate 1+ time per week

Goal 2: Prep OR DIE

While Goal 1 is all well and good, part of my just wanting to focus on consistency first is so that in the meantime I can make a plan for going forward. This might be determining a program out there that I want to follow, this might be building my own program either solo or working with someone. But that needs to get figured out during this challenge so I can be ready to go once I’ve built consistency and escaped the holidays. For this I need to:

- Determine a plan for a minimum of 3x/wk lifting schedule

- Plan out workout days once I know my winter league ultimate schedule

- Be sure to include a few yoga sessions in the plan

Goal 3: Clean Food is Coming

I’ve been considering for a long while now diving into a Whole 30. I feel like it could be really beneficial to wipe my slate clean and determine what if any foods disagree with my body so I can best fuel myself going forward. The biggest thing holding me back from this has been that I hate cooking and figuring out food, so this challenge I will plan out a full Whole 30 so that I will be prepared when it is time to kick it off in January and there will be no planning left to happen, just execution.

- Detailed plan for following Whole 30 for a month

- Be sure to include such things as how to deal with food around ultimate for that time since Gatorade, prepackaged protein bars, and Five Guys are not viable solutions for during a Whole 30

Life: Take Care of Yourself

- Make a Dr appt asap hopefully for THIS MONTH

- Determine holiday travel plans and purchase flights

- Ensure that all plans include adequate time for assorted down time to recharge (video games, knitting, painting, sewing, jigsaw puzzles, whatever)

So yeah. I need you all to hold me accountable so I can be in a position to come out of the holidays and kick off January with a bang.

Help me, Nerdlings. You’re my only hope.

tumblr_lkot6w6QHJ1qcrzkko1_500.gif

• Like 3

Yay for things!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

AND FOUND. That wasn't hard at all! :P HUZZAH!!!!!! \o/

• Like 1

WHAT EVEN IS THIS!?!?!?!?! <3 <3 <3

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Welcome to the Ranger Corps! Last year I came back after a 2 year hiatus, it can be a lot of fun getting back on the boards. Those look like great goals, I'll be following along.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Jumping up and down and waving excitedly, Welcome back!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

4 hours ago, SevenFootGeek said:

STILL FIRST.  I'M SO HAPPY YOU'RE HERE.

5mpn8Qq.jpg?fb

ME TOOOOOOOOO!

4 hours ago, raptron said:

Yay for things!

Things!

4 hours ago, Haikoo said:

i_love_you_friend-446812.jpg

I get to be Hobbes because Orange and because you're smaller than me and blonder than me. <3 you

3 hours ago, RedStone said:

AND FOUND. That wasn't hard at all! :P HUZZAH!!!!!! \o/

Well it's not like I was using my assassin skills and hiding or something. :D

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

WHAT EVEN IS THIS!?!?!?!?! <3 <3 <3

RIGHT?!?! <3

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome to the Ranger Corps! Last year I came back after a 2 year hiatus, it can be a lot of fun getting back on the boards. Those look like great goals, I'll be following along.

Hiiiiii!

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Jumping up and down and waving excitedly, Welcome back!

giphy.gif

I remember YOU!

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Welcome back Stargazer. I remember lurking your thread in the assassins.

Welcome!

• Like 3

Hokay. So. Where it has been a while, I should at least go about a short re-introduction.

I'm StarGazer. Most of my time with NF I lived in Houston and last year I moved to the Denver suburbs. I have been so much happier here than I was in Houston so it was absolutely the right decision for me. In terms of fitness, I mostly play ultimate frisbee and lift things but I also have many things I would like to do if I could figure out how to make more time happen while still having adequate recovery time, time for sleep, and time to work. So far the list includes hiking, climbing, running, ultimate, lifting, yoga, dancing... probably other things I'm not thinking off off the top of my head. Want to know more about me? Just ask!

As I said in my initial post, Wednesday was my first day back in the gym in a month. I tried to take it easy, squatting far less than I had been squatting and deadlifting far less than I had been deadlifting. I hit 4x5 @ 85lbs for squats and 5x5 @ 95lbs for deadlifts. It somehow both felt light and turned my legs to jelly. I've been needing to hold on to railings to go down stairs ever since. Wednesday it was just because my legs were so tired, since then it has been because my legs don't work anymore. They are drowning in DOMS.

Understandably, yesterday I took it easy fitness-wise, though it was definitely not an easy day emotionally. I started my day by completely demolishing a tire on my car (enough that when I sent her a pic, my mother thought I had been in an accident), having another that was about to die as well and therefore needing to figure out getting a set of new tires completely unexpectedly. And I forgot my breakfast and lunch at home. I keep running through all the positives from yesterday (could have been far worse, could have happened on the highway going high speeds or during a snowstorm or thunderstorms or on a hundred degree day when I'd have been figuring out how to change a flat and melting all the while) but that doesn't take away from the part where I spent nearly the entire day in a tight ball of nervous rampaging anxiety that wouldn't listen to my logic. Hooray... but now I've got all new tires going into the winter, so that will be good, I expect.

I made the (somewhat questionable) decision to enlist a friend on Wednesday to ensure my accountability today and make me go to the gym. I specifically told him that DOMS are not a valid excuse, though I don't recall doing such a thing. I spent much of today trying to talk him out of it (I could do a yoga session when I get home, I argued). He shot me down and told me that I'm the one who told him that wasn't acceptable. Past me knows me. And she's an asshole. But at least the DOMS are entirely my legs (minus slight shoulder soreness that I honestly think is because I spent all day yesterday going from sitting to standing and vice versa using my upper body because my lower body doesn't work), so despite needing to use the railing to go up and down the million stairs at the gym to get to the weights I went and I did an upper body focused workout. It was nothing impressive, but I benched 5x5 @ 55lbs, OHPed 3x5 @ 45lbs, and did some lat pulldowns 5x5 @ 70lbs. Then came home and had an epsom salt bath (still skeptical they make any difference for me, but whatever, it felt good) and now I am becoming one with the couch.

• Like 4

Past you is wise, and you have a good friend there.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

ac30d770e2979dce7a6576557a44458f.gif

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

i am sorry you had a crazy thursday, that whole situation totally blows... badumtssss

anyway i'm glad you and your friend forced yourself to the gym on friday! how'd the weekend go??

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Future stargazer will likely be grateful for past stargazer. Even if present stargazer thinks she's an asshole.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

On 03/12/2016 at 7:08 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Past you is wise, and you have a good friend there.

58 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Future stargazer will likely be grateful for past stargazer. Even if present stargazer thinks she's an asshole.

Surely Future StarGazer will understand. But Present StarGazer totally still thinks she's an asshole for doing that to us. At least fwiw I am not blaming my friend for listening to me and am instead well aware that this is my own damn fault.

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

ac30d770e2979dce7a6576557a44458f.gif

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

i am sorry you had a crazy thursday, that whole situation totally blows... badumtssss

anyway i'm glad you and your friend forced yourself to the gym on friday! how'd the weekend go??

ATTACK HUGS ARE THE BEST HUGS.

Yeah, I should post a picture of my tire from Thursday. Sent it to my mother who thought based on the picture I had been in some awful accident or something. In fact, it was shortly after that that my camera started acting up again on my phone. I think it was just traumatized.

WEEKEND! Saturday I did approximately nothing other than sit on my ass and be sore as all get out, but I did celebrate finally being physically able to go from sitting to standing without using my arms to push myself up! That was quite a victory. I mean sure it was still FAR easier to use my arms to help, but it was a sign I could almost pretend to be a people again.

Sunday I decided to be brave and I *went to the gym* and *did leg based things*. That's right, I was finally able to move in a squat motion totally unassisted and I immediately jumped on that and went to the gym. My hamstring started freaking out and feeling all tweaky so I limited the weight on my squats, but I still did them and that motion warmed up my hamstring enough that it actually felt perfectly fine doing deadlifts at the same weight I had done Wednesday (I wanted to do more, but I also didn't want to fuck things up). So overall I did:

Squats 6x5 @45lbs

Deadlifts 5x5 @95lbs

Good Mornings with the bar

and some leg lifts because abz

And the best part? While I am not less sore than I was yesterday morning, we are now at about 24 hours from my workout yesterday and I AM NOT MORE SORE THAN I WAS. Good job body, we're fixing this shit. Huzzah!

I was going to get up this morning and go to the gym. I even woke up before my alarm was going to go off. But I felt like a million degrees and realized I've not been drinking nearly enough water. Dehydration, my nemesis, strikes again! Since it was not super critical for me to get into the gym this morning I've opted to work on hydrating today and see how I'm feeling after work this evening and play it by ear for a potential post-work workout if I'm not dying of dehydration. We shall see. In the meantime, I gotta drink me some more water!

Cheers!

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, StarGazer said:

And the best part? While I am not less sore than I was yesterday morning, we are now at about 24 hours from my workout yesterday and I AM NOT MORE SORE THAN I WAS. Good job body, we're fixing this shit. Huzzah!

I was going to get up this morning and go to the gym. I even woke up before my alarm was going to go off. But I felt like a million degrees and realized I've not been drinking nearly enough water. Dehydration, my nemesis, strikes again! Since it was not super critical for me to get into the gym this morning I've opted to work on hydrating today and see how I'm feeling after work this evening and play it by ear for a potential post-work workout if I'm not dying of dehydration. We shall see. In the meantime, I gotta drink me some more water!

YUS fixing the shiz! I've been having water biz too, we have some parallel jams for this challenge!! Sustenance twinsies :P 

22 minutes ago, StarGazer said:

Tire, for reference. It's not supposed to look like this. Not even close.

6e20ac7aa55dc44caf56e048afdec01d.jpg

THIS BEYOND SUCKS.

1 minute ago, RedStone said:

YUS fixing the shiz! I've been having water biz too, we have some parallel jams for this challenge!! Sustenance twinsies :P 

THIS BEYOND SUCKS.

SUSTENANCE AND HYDRATION TWINSIES! But seriously. Want to get in on some 1:1 accountability for that shit? I could probably use it if you're game.

Thankfully the tire shit was NOT on the highway, was NOT explosive (despite looking like I wronged Wolverine and he decided to get revenge by slashing my tires), and has been totally replaced so now I've got a full set of new tires that should be good heading into winter. The rear tires weren't awful, but they weren't great. And trying to balance out the destroyed tire, the one opposite it was pretty much bald and threatening to have the same fate as its counterpart. So I voted that all new tires was going to be a good decision.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, StarGazer said:

SUSTENANCE AND HYDRATION TWINSIES! But seriously. Want to get in on some 1:1 accountability for that shit? I could probably use it if you're game.

In like Harley Quinn. How do you want to do it? DM? IRC? ....some other third thing?

15 minutes ago, StarGazer said:

Thankfully the tire shit was NOT on the highway, was NOT explosive (despite looking like I wronged Wolverine and he decided to get revenge by slashing my tires), and has been totally replaced so now I've got a full set of new tires that should be good heading into winter. The rear tires weren't awful, but they weren't great. And trying to balance out the destroyed tire, the one opposite it was pretty much bald and threatening to have the same fate as its counterpart. So I voted that all new tires was going to be a good decision.

Oh man yiiiiikes all the same. SOLID to have new ones for the winter, I ended up fixing the same tire 4 times last year and finally the guy was like, look, these aren't going to pass inspection next time, save yourself from a disaster and replace them now. #noregrets

12 minutes ago, RedStone said:

In like Harley Quinn. How do you want to do it? DM? IRC? ....some other third thing?

I've been inconsistent at popping into IRC (in case you've not noticed) - I'd probably be best with FB messages or text. Up to you. I'll pop into chat in a bit and we can discusssssssss.

• Like 1

Legs, you will eat your squats and LIKE them. Go, go, SG. 

• Like 4

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Legs, you will eat your squats and LIKE them. Go, go, SG. 

When they aren't being whiny little brats, my legs really LIKE squats. They are just cranky and need a time out.

So I battled my dehydration yesterday, drank more in one day that I probably have in a single day in weeks, and came out a champion! Despite feeling pretty touch and go throughout the day with a looming headache, I was in good shape by the time I left work and I was feeling antsy, so I went to the gym. Again. That's 4 times in the past week and twice since the start of the challenge. Good start on Goal 1, though I need to be sure to remember to add in some cardio shit. Since my legs were still pretty beat, I did upper body focused things. If this feels kind of hap-hazard in order, going to the gym after work is the WORST IDEA EVER because that place is FREAKING PACKED. I made things up depending on equipment available and here's what I ended up with:

OHP 2x5 @ 45lbs, 1x6 @ 50lbs

Lat Pulldown 3x10 @ 70lbs

Dumbbell Bench (weight is total, not per hand) 5x5 @ 30lbs <--- this was supposed to be with a barbell but the 11 total places I could possibly bench were ALL OCCUPIED and I'm imaptient

Barbell Curl 3x10 @ 20lbs

Skullcrusher 3x10 @ 20lbs

Spiderman planks (reps per leg) 2x5, 1x10

I have so many ab DOMS right now. It hurts if I sneeze or stretch out or dance in my chair. AB DOMS ARE MY FAVORITE. Everything else still hurts too, but I am trying to focus on the ones I like. Unless my legs stop being sore so I can feel comfortable running, I am going to be out of the gym until Thursday so there is a couple days for everything to stop being whiny and sore before I get back at it. Here's hoping my body gets on that.

I haven't done a whole lot on Goals 2 and 3 just yet, though I am looking into 5/3/1 as a program to give a shot in January so there's potential that I'll get Goal 2 worked out on the sooner side.

In the meantime, I am realizing that we are fast approaching the holidays and I still haven't booked my flights to MA to see mah family and mah nerds. I think I've got it figured out, I just need to iron out a couple more things so I can feel comfortable biting the bullet on the flights. At least even though we are 2 weeks out from when I would be flying, prices are comparable or slightly down from where they were last time I even thought about looking a few weeks ago so it's not like I'm paying more than I would have had I been on top of things. Phew! Hopefully I get that figured out and get them purchased this afternoon. After my performance review at work that I am irrationally concerned about. I know that my boss loves me and the work I do. So does his boss. SO WHY AM I SO ANXIOUS AND TOTALLY FREAKING OUT?!

• Like 2

stop freaking out. your bosses probably don't even lift, bro.

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current