'BoutThatActionBoss - The Runners

Hey all!

Sorry it has been awhile!  

I kept meaning to get in one of the previous challenges but life stuff kept getting in the way. My job was way too busy since one colleague quit and I had to take on extra work and this situation has been taking up all the oxygen in the room, if that makes sense. I ended up putting all of my remaining energy into training for (and completing, w00t) the Philadelphia Marathon, albeit waaaaaaaaaaaaay slower than my goal time. But I finished without stopping, so at least I pulled some dignity out of the ordeal.

Unfortunately, I had to take most of the fall off from BJJ as I contracted a dreaded staph infection from the gym and haven’t been since September. The doctor initially thought it was MRSA (!!!!) but instead it was ‘just’ staph, haha. I had to shave my arm to be able to administer the treatment and use bandages that would actually stay on, and my arms continue to look oddly asymmetrical but the staph is gone!

I am way low on funds this month, so I don’t know if I will be any BJJ until January, so I hope you can forgive me for this. I do have some fitness and life goals and will DEFINITELY get back to BJJ next month.

FITNESS GOALS

1. Start training for a half marathon this week and run under two hours

2. Find some sort of bodyweight training routine to prep my body for BJJ in January

3. Get down to 179 lbs by January 1

I am still in solid cardiovascular shape from the marathon I just ran, so for the half it will be a matter of refining my training and staying consistent. I had some pain in my foot the days after the race a couple of weeks ago (these things can happen when you do longer races) but it doesn’t seem to be anything serious.

Regarding the bodyweight training, I am thinking of starting with the 7 minute workout app 3x a week, and slowly building till I can do 3-4 circuits.

For the weight, I will use MyFitnessPal to track calories. No soda or sweets for the month, except on Christmas Day. Sweets and soda are binge triggers for me right now, so I will do my best to abstain.

I am around 184 lbs as of today, so a drop of 4.1 lbs in a month is realistic. I have been doing a lot of thinking and reflecting and I have noticed that I since I started my job, I have gained 20 lbs. I also hate my job, so what emerged to me was a pattern of really stressing during work days, then rewarding myself at lunch and dinner with ‘naughty’ foods, leading to my weight gain. With this in mind, I feel like I can grab the controls more effectively and make positive changes.

I also have a goal of getting to my pre-work weight of 165 by late April for the childish reason that I am going to a wedding and an ex I haven’t seen in a half decade will be there with her successful boyfriend/fiancee and I want to at least appear that I am winning at life, haha. My ex is actually a very good person so there’s nothing vengeful about it, but I very vainly would like to look good for when I see her next.

I can’t change jobs right now, so I will double down on eating better at work. The last couple of weeks have been good, and although I had a nutrition blip during Thanksgiving, I have been doing better than I have in months.

Let’s get 'goalden'!

LIFE GOALS

1. Look for a second job so I can pay off my credit card debt

My work is still super busy, so I don’t think I can realistically take on a second job until January, but I want to put the pieces in place for something after the new year. I am carrying more debt than I ever have and that just ain’t cool. Time to do something about it. So I may throw some apps into some stores/restaurants in my area and also use my undergrad and grad alumni associations to network to see if I can do any freelance editing/writing on the side for money (if you have any writing/editing needs, let me know!) and also explore career paths that I have been thinking about by doing informational interviews and/or shadowing.

Lastly, I want to help and support some of you good folks in this forum! I will pop my head into four or five threads and do my best to help cheer you on with your own goals.

• Like 1

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge (OG MOTIVATOR)

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Wow, you been through a lot while you've been gone. Way to be, man, way to be. :) Never done a marathon before... that would destroy me for sure, I think.

For apps and such, the 7 minute looks really good! Another one you might want to consider would be Freeletics, which is a non-equipment smartphone app kind of thing. It has the endorsement of someone who appears trustworthy to me, so I'll promote it to you as a way forward.

As far as food and rewards are concerned, it may not be a bad idea to try to change out what your rewards are. I know for me, training feels like a reward, because I feel like in that space with me and the weight, the rest of the world feels very distant. Good food and good training are good rewards in a world that doesn't facilitate those things, and we live in such a world.

Welcome back, and get ready, 'cuz it's about to get good in here. :D

• Like 1

Hey there! Sounds like you have been really busy, but it's good to see you back on the boards! The staph infection sucks...I just kicked one of those myself with the help of some crazy antibiotics. Missing out on the training time was brutal, so I can't imagine how antsy you've got to be feeling without your BJJ fix.

Welcome back!

• Like 1

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

On 12/4/2016 at 8:51 PM, courtneyc said:

Hey there! Sounds like you have been really busy, but it's good to see you back on the boards! The staph infection sucks...I just kicked one of those myself with the help of some crazy antibiotics. Missing out on the training time was brutal, so I can't imagine how antsy you've got to be feeling without your BJJ fix.

Welcome back!

Hey! Thanks for checking in! I have been so lazy with this current challenge, at least over the last week. I will be popping over to your challenge in a bit, of course. 

Did you also get your staph infection from the BJJ gym? Did they make you take oral antibiotics? They just gave me a topical ointment but they said if that didn't work, they would get me on the oral meds. 

Thanks for the welcome back! 

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge (OG MOTIVATOR)

CURRENT CHALLENGE

On 12/4/2016 at 6:42 PM, Kishi said:

Wow, you been through a lot while you've been gone. Way to be, man, way to be. :) Never done a marathon before... that would destroy me for sure, I think.

For apps and such, the 7 minute looks really good! Another one you might want to consider would be Freeletics, which is a non-equipment smartphone app kind of thing. It has the endorsement of someone who appears trustworthy to me, so I'll promote it to you as a way forward.

As far as food and rewards are concerned, it may not be a bad idea to try to change out what your rewards are. I know for me, training feels like a reward, because I feel like in that space with me and the weight, the rest of the world feels very distant. Good food and good training are good rewards in a world that doesn't facilitate those things, and we live in such a world.

Welcome back, and get ready, 'cuz it's about to get good in here. :D

Hey hey! Thanks for the welcome! Sorry for being an absentee member the last number of months. I love these forums but life has been hectic! 

You are so so so so spot on regarding rewards. It is something I have had to work on. For awhile, I would reward myself with food treats, but now I am trying to change it to stuff such as a video game when I get to 179 lbs, new running shoes, new iPhone holder for running and things like that. So the rewards thing is something I have definitely made changes on! 

Let's get great! w00t! 

• Like 1

CURRENT CHALLENGE

I haven't been all that great with updates, my apologies for that. 

This week was a bit of a mixed bag. I took my niece to NYC and had a great time (her first trip there, w00t), but my nutrition went completely off the rails. During the rest of the week I did well, at least with tracking my food. I was able to stay away from sweets and naughty things that trigger me. My portions still need work, but one thing at a time, at least for now. I won't let the weekend derail the challenge though. I vow to get back on top of things tomorrow at work. 

I only got in two runs this week and two 7 Minute Workouts due to a sore foot. I don't know what I did, but my foot was killing me until yesterday. Then yesterday I walked about 10 miles around Brooklyn and Manhattan and for some reason the foot feels much better today. I don't think I will run until Wednesday or so but I will go for a swim after work I think. I just got new ear plugs and they seem like they may work which I am happy about because the shape of my ears seems to make them a suction cup for water every time I swim under water. 

More updates as the week goes! 

• Like 1

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Nah, man, get out and do the thing. Updates come later.

Anyway, it sounds like you had a fun weekend! I wouldn't mind spending a weekend up in NYC. See the sights, meet the people, make a fool of myself at Tompkins Square Park.

And it's like you say. You gotta get better one step at a time. Triggers and better decisions first, portion sizes later.

Feet are weird, but I'm glad to hear that yours are working better. Have fun with the swimming!

On 12/11/2016 at 11:21 PM, 'BoutThatActionBoss said:

Hey! Thanks for checking in! I have been so lazy with this current challenge, at least over the last week. I will be popping over to your challenge in a bit, of course. 

Did you also get your staph infection from the BJJ gym? Did they make you take oral antibiotics? They just gave me a topical ointment but they said if that didn't work, they would get me on the oral meds. 

Thanks for the welcome back! 

Yes, mine was BJJ induced. They put me on crazy antibiotics, because the sores were a little gnarly. 

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

The holidays kinda ate us all.  How have you been doing on things?

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23