New and Ready to Level Up

Hello!

Let me begin by sharing my origin story for my NF character, Wolfen:

"Jason Lilly lived a comfortable, but unfit life: smoker, junk food lover, video game and comic book nerd, and couch potato. But on occasion when he did leave his home, he felt so alive when outside, especially in the wild, like some primal energy was whispering to him. After graduating college, getting married, and having two children, the pounds added up, but the whispers continued. Then he stumbled onto a video of Erwan LeCorre (founder of MovNat) and has never been the same. Now drawn to fitness programs that encourage him to "go wild" and discover his inner animal, when Jason isn't caring for his queen and four princesses or inspiring minds as a high school teacher, he roams the wilderness as Wolfen, a barefoot and shirtless wild man who climbs rocks and trees, sprints across open fields, lifts stones and logs, swims in wild waters, and even howls at the sky."

Even though I'm no stranger to being active outdoors, I still struggle with staying healthy and fit. Like a lot of heroes, villains from my past come back to haunt me. The only one successfully vanquished was Tobacco. I still have the all too often battles with Junk Food, Procrastination, Sedentarism, Shelter and Security, Laziness, Self-Consciousness, and Doubt. But every day, I make choices that help me "level up" and get closer and closer to defeating these villains.

I learned about Nerd Fitness from Jonathan Mead, who taught a workshop at the NF retreat this past summer. I first dipped my toes in NF waters by browsing (and loving) Steve's blog. Now I'm hooked. I've always been into comic books, video games, and movies. I also geek out about books and science (especially biology and behavioral science). Now that I'm pursuing a more fit lifestyle, why wouldn't I get hooked on a group that combines all of this and more?

I live in West Virginia, fitly named The Mountain State. It is a beautiful state, full of mountains, forests, rivers, and wildlife, a perfect home for an Adventurer who likes to "go wild." I am a family man with two biological children and two adopted children. I still have a long way to go, which is fine because I never want to stop leveling up, either physically, mentally, or spiritually.

I'm looking forward to staying in touch with other members of the Rebellion.

• Like 5

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

On 12/29/2016 at 9:35 AM, fitnessgurl said:

Cool post.

Thank you. :-)

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

1 hour ago, Noodler said:

I lived in West Virginia until about a month ago!  It's nice to see a fellow Mountaineer!

Awesome! Where did you live?

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Just now, Noodler said:

I grew up near Charleston and lived in Huntington as an adult.

That's so cool. I grew up in the St. Albans/Nitro area, and now I live in Poca.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Awesome! Welcome on board! Are you finding your way around the forum all right? If you need any help or advice then please ask. 

Have you taken a look at the hiking and exploration section of the forum yet? I'm sure you'll find some like-minded people there. You should probably take a look at the "Adventurers" section too, that seems like it would be the best fit for you if you decide to take part in the 4 Week Challenges. 

Good luck, and I hope to see you around. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I like your origin story.  I also tried MovNat at one stage, then slowly fell into obstacle course and did a couple small/short races until about two years ago. Now I'm slowly picking up the pace and fitness again.

Good luck with this challenge, and all the best for the new year.

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."