• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wolfen

Insight Timer App--Anyone else use this?

A little over a week ago, I downloaded Insight Timer after reading in an article that it is "the most popular free meditation app." I was reluctant (Popular how? Like trendy popular or it actually works popular?) but after 10 days I have not missed a single session. The app offers thousands of free guided meditations of all sorts for all meditators. This also includes music and sound therapy. The "timer" that gives the app its name is modifiable, as well. Choose a starting bell (or none) and ending bell (or none), set the time limit (or go infinite if you're not sure), choose from 5 different free ambient sounds (or none), and even tell the timer if you are meditating, doing yoga, tai chi, walking, breathing, chanting, praying, or healing. The app documents your time and gives milestones as you progress.

I think the app's best feature, though, is its social connectability. After each meditation, the app presents a list of other users meditating at that time. Users are able to send "Thank you" messages to other meditators as well as custom messages and friend requests. In addition, users can review each guided meditation and may even receive a reply from the teacher (I did!).

Has anyone else used this app? If so, what do you think? If you'd like to connect, let me know.

I love Insight Timer.  It is a great basic timer with nice sounding bells, but there are tons of options there too.  I never found anything close to being as good as it.

I would like to see some better controls in the guided meditations and podcasts they have in the app.  But I mostly use the timer so it works great for me.

They just released a new version that ties in to Apple Health as well.

• Like 1

I've been using IT for about 3 years. I love it SO MUCH. So many meditation apps out there dictate how you will meditate, so I really enjoy how insight allows me the freedom to choose what type and duration of meditation in which I wish to engage. 

I do wish I could tie in the yoga choices in the app to my yoga classes app, though. 

I used it on and off again a while back.  Just started using it regularly before this challenge.  It kept track of my 30 day streak.

Thanks, Sunmage, I didn't know there was a Nerd Fitness group.