An out-of-shape newbie scrambles to catch up

GoldLynx

Hi everyone!

Hehe, I'm late. But better late than never! My name is GoldLynx, and this is my first challenge as a Ranger. In the past I've been mainly a lifter, and even that has fallen to the wayside after a difficult life change. But I'm determined to jump back onboard! Here are my goals for the next (almost) 4 weeks.

Walking: Go for an intentional walk/jog 5 times per week. I say intentional so walking around campus doesn't count. This can be on the treadmill or outside. Each weeks' walks will be at least 10 miles total.

Cardio: I want so badly to like HIIT. I found some videos on youtube that are really good, you just follow along with the workout. I'm going to set my goal for at least once per week. 

Strength: Visit the gym at some point over the challenge and do strength training. It sounds small, but I have an emotional wall to break down. I just need to go. 

Eating: GoldLynx drinks too much hot chocolate. Three cups per week max (come on, it's winter!) My diet is pretty healthy overall, though.

:) 

• Like 2

We do not show off, for we are the unseen. We are not motivated by aesthetics, but effectiveness. Our bodies are our weapons, not our trophies.

They are the civilians.

We are the warriors.

10 hours ago, peelout said:

Finally I'm #1 at something.  Never to late to jump in.  What kind of emotional wall is stopping you from hitting the gym?

Congratulations! Thank you, that's what I figured.

Emm, for several months every time I went to the gym was with a certain person, and I called things off, so it's going to bring back some memories. :( 

We do not show off, for we are the unseen. We are not motivated by aesthetics, but effectiveness. Our bodies are our weapons, not our trophies.

They are the civilians.

We are the warriors.

9 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Welcome! And oh my gosh, I love your signature SO SO SO SO SO SO much! 

Thank you!! Your challenge this month is super duper. Haha, thanks, I do too!

• Like 1

They are the civilians.

We are the warriors.

1 minute ago, GoldLynx said:

Congratulations! Thank you, that's what I figured.

Emm, for several months every time I went to the gym was with a certain person, and I called things off, so it's going to bring back some memories. :( 

Definitely been there and fully understand.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Welcome! It's never too late to start!

On 10/12/2016 at 0:12 AM, GoldLynx said:

Cardio: I want so badly to like HIIT. I found some videos on youtube that are really good, you just follow along with the workout. I'm going to set my goal for at least once per week. 

I feel you! It takes some doing but once you get going with it you'll start to love it :)

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

1 hour ago, CraftyHeathen said:

Welcome! I love your goals! It is always better to be late than never. 

Thanks! I agree! I'm pretty stoked. 

• Like 1

They are the civilians.

We are the warriors.

2 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Welcome! It's never too late to start!

I feel you! It takes some doing but once you get going with it you'll start to love it :)

Thank you! That's really good to hear. I wasn't sure if it would always be a drag, but sounds like you've learned to like it, so I can too! :) 

• Like 1

They are the civilians.

We are the warriors.

28 minutes ago, GoldLynx said:

Thank you! That's really good to hear. I wasn't sure if it would always be a drag, but sounds like you've learned to like it, so I can too! :) 

Just remember you are just starting out and your body hasn't adapted to this way of working yet. You'll get there!

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 12/12/2016 at 0:31 PM, peelout said:

Still getting your workouts in?

Yep, thanks so much! Missed the run yesterday, but that's okay since I'm aiming for 5 days per week. Two cups of hot cocoa so far, only one left! O.o I'm really pleased with how things are going. 

• Like 2

They are the civilians.

We are the warriors.

Cool! I've met my goals for the week.  Ran five days, averaging more than two miles per day. Drank 2.5 cups of hot chocolate. Just did a short HIIT workout. 

Also, I took my measurements and calculated body fat around 23%. Long-term goal is 20%, does this sound realistic? 

• Like 3

They are the civilians.

We are the warriors.

3 hours ago, GoldLynx said:

Cool! I've met my goals for the week.  Ran five days, averaging more than two miles per day. Drank 2.5 cups of hot chocolate. Just did a short HIIT workout. 

Also, I took my measurements and calculated body fat around 23%. Long-term goal is 20%, does this sound realistic? 

I'm not an expert on body fat as I just go by my pant size.  But awesome job on meeting your goals.  Did you get all that entered on your spreadsheet?  Sounds like you are into the exercise groove.  Now to keep it up through the holidays.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

On 12/17/2016 at 9:00 PM, peelout said:

I'm not an expert on body fat as I just go by my pant size.  But awesome job on meeting your goals.  Did you get all that entered on your spreadsheet?  Sounds like you are into the exercise groove.  Now to keep it up through the holidays.

Thank you! Haha, no kidding. The cookies were evil today.

They are the civilians.

We are the warriors.

Sounds like you got off to a really great start! Did you make it to the gym? There's still time to knock out that goal in 2016!

For body fat, 3% loss is significant but doable. Are you a guy or a girl? 20% is definitely in the low/athletic range for a woman but would still be healthy assuming you have a good diet. I went from ~24 to ~22% in a couple months.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 12/29/2016 at 5:09 PM, Xena said:

Sounds like you got off to a really great start! Did you make it to the gym? There's still time to knock out that goal in 2016!

For body fat, 3% loss is significant but doable. Are you a guy or a girl? 20% is definitely in the low/athletic range for a woman but would still be healthy assuming you have a good diet. I went from ~24 to ~22% in a couple months.

Thank you! Augh. No. But January 3rd I will be nearby. I'm going to make that my goal.

Other than that, my goals have been going really well! Surpassed my mileage goal for the challenge, and didn't have a lot of hot cocoa at all. 

I'm a girl. Wow, good for you! That's awesome. How did you do it?

• Like 2

They are the civilians.

We are the warriors.

23 hours ago, GoldLynx said:

I'm a girl.

I was pretty sure, but sometimes it's oddly hard to tell on this site :-)

I started counting calories. It made a huge difference and I learned a lot from doing it. I made a guess (based on some web research) at what my maintenance calorie levels were and then I set a daily target for 300 lower.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 12/17/2016 at 8:00 PM, peelout said:

Very realistic. I went from about 24% to 21%, then did a bulk to build some muscle. My plan is to maintain for a short while( 2 weeks to a month) then cut, hopefully hit 20%. Same as Xena, I counted calories, even during the weekend (which can be my nemisis) For me anyway, it gets tough when you are at about 22%, I was really hungry. But, I can cut short term (say about a month) and then take a break and maintain for a bit to give myself a break.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien