It's all about that [base]

Beals

(y'all I'm new.... am I doing this right?!?!) 

(I'm writing this to myself (or shouting into the void???) because no one else seems to be in here....)

I'm in stage one of marathon training! So the goal for this month is: building the base

Running Goals:

1) embrace cross training so you don't RUIN YOUR BODY like you did after your last marathon. CT at least 1x/wk. Things to try: rowing machine, snow shoeing.

2) Long runs: up to 15km by last week of Dec

3) Incorporate hill runs and speed drills by week 3 

- 3.5) learn how to do these on a tread mill/find an indoor track because I'm gunna die if I try to do these on the icy roads

4) Do physio exercises 3x/wk

5) comprehensive stretching 3x/wk (fix!!! your!!! hip!!! flexors!!!!!!!!!!)

Food Goals:

1) eat enough (I know I'm supposed to quantify this but like....)

2) just go buy some protein powder. I know you're poor but you need it.

Personal:

1) finish 5/5 school applications by Dec 31.

Thanks for listening, void, and/or anyone out there who sees this.

• Like 1

Well ..

david-tennant-scarletwitch-19972873-500-

Does seem a little empty here

but 

tumblr_m7qckuGHkc1qfu0qw.gif

Welcome aboard!

rs_500x253-150902110448-tumblr_inline_ns

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

Tell us about your last marathon and "how you ruined your body" by training and running it?  I agree 100% in cross training, but would be good to know the context here and welcome!!

Finished first six challenge for 2015, granting +1 to CON.  Otherwise all 0 stats at this point.

My Introduction post, tells my weight loss journey up to the point I joined NF!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/58160-70-there-30-to-go/

On 12/12/2016 at 5:10 PM, Beals said:

1) embrace cross training so you don't RUIN YOUR BODY like you did after your last marathon. CT at least 1x/wk. Things to try: rowing machine, snow shoeing.

2) Long runs: up to 15km by last week of Dec

Hey, this sounds familiar.  I'm training for a marathon in Maine in May after I had to drop out of my last marathon at mile 5.  I assume I was either ratcheting up my distance too suddenly or not cross training enough.

Facebook-%C2%B7-d51498.png

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

how we doing here?

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

On 12/12/2016 at 7:06 PM, Strickland5 said:

Well ..

Welcome aboard!

Thank you!! There's a Dr. Who gif for every occasion ;)

On 12/13/2016 at 8:51 AM, JeepN3rd said:

Tell us about your last marathon and "how you ruined your body" by training and running it?  I agree 100% in cross training, but would be good to know the context here and welcome!!

Thank you for the welcome!  Ok, so, for context... I did a couch to marathon in 6 months. Which, I am aware, is crazy and not actually good for your body. I also didn't cross train (ever) and ran 5-6/week. And took about 7 days off before running again after my last marathon, which resulted in shin splints which took months to heal. I basically over trained and didn't focus on recovery enough and therefore got injured, and couldn't run for mooooonths.

Plus, was living in Prague at the time, which meant running on cobblestones, which didn't help. 

16 hours ago, Mike_d85 said:

Hey, this sounds familiar.  I'm training for a marathon in Maine in May after I had to drop out of my last marathon at mile 5.  I assume I was either ratcheting up my distance too suddenly or not cross training enough.

Facebook-%C2%B7-d51498.png

1) your version of the void is way better than Nietzsche's 

2) my marathon is in May too!! Wanna talk training plans?? Better luck this time- sounds like you know what to do differently during training, which is promising? 

15 hours ago, Strickland5 said:

how we doing here?

thanks for checking in! The last few days have been a bit crazy... I moved, and 2 of my school applications were due yesterday so my training has suffered. I did some easy CT on Tuesday (30 min elliptical) and had a rest day on Wednesday (because I moved, so no workout time), and yesterday only had time for a quick 5k (BUT, my goodness, I ran outside and it was a harrowing experience. SO COLD! SO WINDY! SO! MUCH! SNOW!!!).

I'm caving today and buying a gym membership because 1) weather, and 2) i need to up my strength training game. So, on the agenda for today is a hill run (40 minutes steady at 5% incline on the treadmill). Will report back on how that goes!

Well since you asked here is my training spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eu4HT1hH7EYHRwhq3GhIJqT-cJAWubGGFY4V7ZeuW4o

I plan on doing another round of the sprint training sometime around February. Other than that I'm doing hill work once a month, a long trail run once a month (weather permitting) and rucking/lifting all the way through.

No backing off on cross training until the week of the race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Battle Log 

Well since you asked here is my training spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eu4HT1hH7EYHRwhq3GhIJqT-cJAWubGGFY4V7ZeuW4o

I plan on doing another round of the sprint training sometime around February. Other than that I'm doing hill work once a month, a long trail run once a month (weather permitting) and rucking/lifting all the way through.

My Battle Log 

On 12/17/2016 at 10:39 AM, Mike_d85 said:

Thanks for sharing! I checked out your battle log too.... and I'm mainly stuck at 'wow.'  So, what is your physical priority? Obviously you do a lot of strength training and a ton of running (those LR distances though :eek-new: ).  Do you focus on running, strength, or some combo? I can't imagine that level of strength training w running, even though you've (somewhat) scaled down the weekly mileage to match.  January I'm going hard w strength training so i'll probably look at your battle log for inspiration.

As for my training....

Friday: not the greatest run. I cannot get on board mentally with this treadmill thing. Every run drags and my stride length is messed up, and it all feels so much harder than it should (which maybe isn't the right word, because I usually love hard runs, but i just dont like treadmill running).  I ran 40 minutes, only about 10 of which were on a 5% incline.  It felt shitty.

Saturday: 3k run at speed 6 for warm up, 30 min intervals on the rowing machine, 2k warmup at speed 6 for cool down. Felt good. Total of 60 min cardio.

Sunday: 12.5 k outdoor run (LR for the week). So good!  A bit slower than it should be (6:18 min/km), but there was still a fair bit of snow on the ground which makes it slower and a dang blistering wind. Anyhow, I'm trying not to focus on times at this stage in my training and just get in the mileage.  Why can't I enjoy treadmill running like this!??! 

Monday: my knee hurts, so I'll either rest today or cross train. I've only been doing 2/3 of my physio exercises, and not the exercise that's best for my knee.  Ooooops.  That said, I've been really diligent with the other 2 exercises!!! 

As for personal goals.... 2/5 applications submitted. Working on another today.

3 hours ago, Beals said:

Thanks for sharing! I checked out your battle log too.... and I'm mainly stuck at 'wow.'  So, what is your physical priority? Obviously you do a lot of strength training and a ton of running (those LR distances though :eek-new: ).  Do you focus on running, strength, or some combo? I can't imagine that level of strength training w running, even though you've (somewhat) scaled down the weekly mileage to match.  January I'm going hard w strength training so i'll probably look at your battle log for inspiration.

Those are kilometers, btw.  Thank you, though.  I focus on running (which seems weird since my battle log is about 80% lifting and 15% food), but thought I'd give lifting a try and found that I love a barbell.  It set me off when I stumbled across an article from an triathlon champion's weightlifting regiment and he started breaking down how the strength training really helped him across the board.  I was mostly paying attention to the running portion, but once I started looking for the articles I started finding amazing stuff that really helps with cross-training.  

My Battle Log 

On 12/19/2016 at 9:22 AM, Mike_d85 said:

Those are kilometers, btw.  

I genuinely wasn't sure until I saw distances in the 30s-40s and figured they HAD to be km! I'm Canadian so i do all my measuring in km, but still say 'mileage'... kilometerage just sounds strange.

Personal:

Monday- 3 km run to warm up. 40 minutes on the rowing machine, doing intervals. 2 km cooldown run.

Tuesday and Wednesday off (laaaazy).

Ran 6 km today doing the lazy woman's speed training- half-assed solitary fartleks. 

Also- 3/5 applications submitted!!!

• Like 1

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader

Didn't work out yesterday.

Did CT today as gym will be closed tomorrow, so I'll have to run then (which isn't a bad thing!! But I'm trying to alternate running and CT days).

Today: 15 minutes rowing, a 1 hr cardio class at the gym, 15 minutes rowing, capped off with my physio exercises (<----- go me!!!).

The gym class was actually really fun. It was a 'body combat' so we mimicked fighting moves (punches, kicks, etc). It was really high intensity too (or, well, I made it high intensity)- I figure the equivalent of an 8k run? Worked different muscle groups, which was great. 

• Like 1

Hey Beals, loved reading up on your topic. Sounds like you're doing great! What kind of schools are you applying to? University? Grad?

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

1 minute ago, theophilus said:

What kind of schools are you applying to? University? Grad?

Hello!  I'm applying to PhD programs- bit of a mixed bag because I'm following the research fit, but they're a blend of sociology and legal studies. Only 1 application left to submit! I (creepily) creeped through your last challenge, and see you were prepping for the LSAT. Have you written already? 

Personal:

So I ran a beautiful little 5k on Christmas and also played some squash (which is very fun and not to my strengths- I missed about 90% of my backhands. Embarrassing.).

I was 85% DEAD on boxing day. That body-combat class I took on Christmas Eve consisted of about 45 min of punching which is apparently a GREAT workout because HOLY HELL did my upper body hurt (the squash the day before may have contributed as well. I was too busy weeping to parse out the causes of the pain). 

And I was again lazy today, so I only ran 5k. Thankfully the weather has cooperated the last few days so I've been able to do all my runs outside. I should do my long run tomorrow (15k, which was supposed to be today!!), and I'm hoping to finally try snow shoeing on Thursday!!

I'm being forgiving of myself because of the holiday season, but I need to get back in to Serious Business mode and start doing full workouts.

That research sounds fascinating. Any programs in the states? (I assume you're Canadian by the boxing day reference, eh?) Yeah, I took in September and then again this month to up my scholarship chances. In the midst of my application season too. Not quite as involved as PhD apps though!

Major props to you for undertaking apps and marathon training at the same time. Not for the faint of heart.

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Your assumption is correct. Good catch! Are you a fellow Canuck, or was that 'eh' facetious?

I'm applying to 2 Canadian programs, and 3 American. The American schools I've applied to seem to release first wave acceptances in late Feb/through March (depending on the program), but I'm gunna have to wait months longer for the Canadian programs. The anticipation is already killing me!

Fingers crossed for your LSAT results! I suppose you're applying for Sep 2017 entry? In the States, or....? 

And thank you for the kudos, but I'm not sure the praise was deserved- I haven't been serious enough about my training for it to impact my aps!  Plus, all my scholarship aps were due before I even started training, and those took the most work.  I was sick of applying by the time I finished all three scholarship aps, and I hadn't even started my school ones at that point!

Training update:

Ran 15.5 km today. I was so. slow. My goodness. But I did it, which is at least 75% of the battle!! (60%? 50%? Give me something here!)

Fantastic! I married a Canuck, so I guess the 'eh' was half facetious. Hahah.

Good luck with the application process. And thanks for the well wishes, applying for programs in the states. I know some of the schools I'm applying to have solid sociology programs, but not sure if they're in your area of specialty (UVA comes to mind...). Maybe our paths will cross some day!

I'll give you more than 75%! Just doing the work is at least 90% of the battle.

On 12/29/2016 at 1:16 PM, theophilus said:

Fantastic! I married a Canuck, so I guess the 'eh' was half facetious. Hahah.

[...] Maybe our paths will cross some day!

Hey, Canuck by osmosis- I'll take it! :)

And I've applied to Berkeley, Northwestern, and NYU. Any overlap!? I have a strong feeling I'm going to end up in Canada, but Northwestern is my #1, so we shall see what happens!

----------------

And a wrap up for my challenge:

I finally tried snow shoeing!  I was definitely not as challenging as I had hopped (really only a little more taxing than walking) but nonetheless it was wonderful to clomp through the forest and take in 'the nature'.

---------------

Final Grades:

Running Goals:

- I did well: cross training, completed my 15km long run, did decently with my physio exercises, and did a good job stretching.  I should have done more of my stabilization exercises, but that's the only area I really fell down on.  I'll give myself 9/10.

Food Goals:

- I ate 'enough'! Did not buy protein, but did make sure I got over 100g of protein/day and always consumed at least 20g of protein after a workout, so I don't really care.  Thus: 7.5/10.

Personal:

- Finished all my school aps!!! 10/10, so glad to be done!!! Now to embrace the crushing anxiety induced by fear that i won't be accepted anywhere!!!!

Goals to improve on these goals for next challenge: actually make them quantifiable lol.

Thanks for the support everyone!! :)