Winter is Coming

Hello future friends,

I'm a runner and where I live it's already dark by 5pm and the running community around me has gone in to hibernation. So, I'm lonely, and want to find a community, so I've come here!  Hi!

I'm training for my 2nd marathon, which'll be in May. My first marathon went decently well (in that I finished, not that I performed well.  I ran a 4:28:xx). I'm looking to run a sub 4:00:00 this time, BUT this'll be the first time I've trained hard through the winter for a spring race. So! New challenges!  Because there is snow and ice everywhere and that is.... hazardous to run in, and also terrible. I'm also going to get more serious about strength training throughout this training program.

Anyhow, I'm 25F, 5'6", somewhere between 124-128 lbs (I don't have a scale and I don't really care about my weight as long as my body is performing well). Uh.... I like to talk about food and nutrition and running and diverse representation in the shitty SFF tv series I watch. 

Looking forward to getting to know you all :)

• Like 1

Running my first (probably only) marathon in like 3 weeks. Goals are to 1. not die and 2. finish under 6:00:00. Not a runner by a long shot, and I didn't put in the volume, because I've been doing a bunch of other stuff, so I'm trusting Brian Mackenzie's program on this one. Let's hope he delivers.

The-North-Remembers.jpg

• Like 2
On 12/12/2016 at 10:19 PM, Beals said:

Hello future friends,

I'm a runner and where I live it's already dark by 5pm and the running community around me has gone in to hibernation. So, I'm lonely, and want to find a community, so I've come here!  Hi!

Pah! 5pm??? You Southern Softies! :P 

You probably mean that by the time you finish work at 5pm is already dark, but I'm choosing to misinterpret you. Just so you know. ;) 

I'm no runner, never was, never will be, but I understand the dedication and the need to take part in whatever your chosen sport is. That's the great thing about this community, you'll get a weightlifter complimenting a yogi and vice versa. There's cliques of course, but they're not the rule. 

I hope you enjoy being a part of our community. 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

2 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Pah! 5pm??? You Southern Softies! :P 

You probably mean that by the time you finish work at 5pm is already dark, but I'm choosing to misinterpret you. Just so you know. ;) 

Haha, I am 100% willing to take the softie label because I know I could have much worse weather/climate, but I still bemoan my current one.  I have no idea where you live, or if you're familiar with Canadian geography, but I'm from Toronto, which is about as south as you can get in this country, so I'm used to literally every other Canadian scoffing when us Torontonians complain about the weather. Your chirps are in good company :)

And thank you for the welcome! I'm enjoying my time here so far.

2 hours ago, RandMart said:

@beals Winter Training is especially Badass, and Outdoors is doubly so, but there are couple things to keep in mind

You want to see and be seen as best as possible. I run with a reflective vest, safety neon shirt if it's warm enough, reflective gloves, and a red clip-on strobe in back. I have LED headllamp to light the way up front. If your on the road, run FACING traffic so you can see the headlights long before they see you and NEVER EVER wear headphones ... if "NO headphones" is a deal-breaker? Find a treadmill

Next, remember this: Dry = Warm, ESPECIALLY your feet. Everyone says you lose a lot of heat off your head, so wear a hat BUT, if you accidentally step in a puddle, and your feet get wet? A cold noggin will be the least of your worries. You'll get home & shower and dry your hair and that will be fine; but cold damp feet just seem to linger and make you miserable HOURS afterwards. If there is any dampness outside, I put on my socks, slip some bread bags over them then put my shoes over those ... function > fashion, here

Hello, and thank you for the tips! I have the same reflective safety vest, but have yet to invest in a blinking light too. It's on the list. 

I have been INSANELY lucky with the weather so far this winter. We're hovering around freezing, no more than 5 below so far, so the cold hasn't been an issue yet. That won't last, obviously. I love the bread bag tip- I've not heard that before.

Question: how do you combat wind on your exposed skin? I've read that glide or vaseline is good to slather over nose and cheeks, so I'll try that next time I run and it's actually cold. Do you find that's the best bet?

10 hours ago, Beals said:

Haha, I am 100% willing to take the softie label because I know I could have much worse weather/climate, but I still bemoan my current one.  I have no idea where you live, or if you're familiar with Canadian geography, but I'm from Toronto, which is about as south as you can get in this country, so I'm used to literally every other Canadian scoffing when us Torontonians complain about the weather. Your chirps are in good company :)

And thank you for the welcome! I'm enjoying my time here so far.

Well, I'm in the Shetland Islands (the furthest north part of Scotland) which is 60° north, but you have us beat on the bad weather thingy. It's pretty mild here. ;) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

12 minutes ago, RandMart said:

Don't run too fast? :D

I'm a dude, so skin care isn't exactly in my wheelhouse

If I get too dry/chapped, i swipe D'Wife's Aveeno

hahaha i can see I've asked the wrong audience. I'm more worried about frostbite than aesthetics (I'm on the lake so wind is an issue), but thanks for trying??

6 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Well, I'm in the Shetland Islands (the furthest north part of Scotland) which is 60° north, but you have us beat on the bad weather thingy. It's pretty mild here. ;) 

I can honestly handle the cold better than I can the dark! I lived in Prague for you year and was basically depressed from Nov-March because I didn't see the sun for more than a couple hours per month.  Could not do permanently!!  But pros and cons to each, eh? :)

• Like 1
23 hours ago, RandMart said:

Do NOT mess with frostbite; stay inside or take a rest day

[That being said, I have "run the temperature" a time or two; my PR is 4 miles at 4*F, but there was no wind to speak of, if I remember correctly]

I got mild frostbite ["frostnip," they called it] playing ice hockey without gloves when I was a kid in New England. Now, if it's cold enough to see my breath [45*F or so], I have to wear gloves

Yeah, that's my dilemma! I'm expecting a solid month in late January and throughout February where the temperature is around -15c/4*F (or worse, they're calling for a bad winter) so I would like to be able to run outside (and people do!! I see it!!). I just want to be safe about it. 

Frostnip, I've never heard that!  Such a cutesy name for what I'm sure is actually quite terrible. 

• Like 1