My mood is all "WTF!" : Joint female problem solving please!

I'm at about 160 now, 5'8". Goal is lower 130's. Trainer says no way. He also suggested I drop another couple hundred calories to about 1200/ day which he says is fine for my height. I lift heavy 2-3 x week, do functional fitness at least 1 (sometimes 2) x week, sometimes toss in long cardio or HIIT, and do yoga one day a week. Basically, I do something just about every day. And I walk 3.2 mi round trip to work. Total plateau. But I'm dead lifting 205, benched 115, and did 75 on seated overhead press. So I'm stuck

Not to derail the thread but you should be eating more, especially at your height! Do some reading up on BMR - the amount of calories your body needs just to support basic functions like breathing, circulation, etc. At 5'2" and 170 mine's almost 1500. My trainer also said I should be at 1200 in order to lose weight - but she got that figure from WebMD. I refused and now we just don't talk about it much. :) Eating too little can definitely make you plateau!

I gotta say the same...What is your current body fat percentage? With lifts like those, your lean body mass is probably close to your "goal" weight, and you do need some fat. That is an awfully low goal body weight, how did you choose it?

I was 130 in high school, and skinny with no muscle, at 5'6". No way I could have lifted that much. I am not lifting that much NOW at 145, but my body fat is waaay too high.

Never cheat off the dumb kid.

Yeah, you should be eating more, girl! Especially if you're that active, I don't think you should be going below 1600, but I'm no expert. Here's an About.com article that I shared with my dad when he was asking how much he should be eating and he's lost 15 pounds in the last couple of months! (I'm really proud of him, he's never watched what he ate much.) Also, I know that according to the charts, the top of the healthy weight range for me at 5'6" is supposed to be around 160, so I imagine if you've got much muscle at all, your weight is probably fine where you're at. It doesn't hurt to have goals (usually), but make sure you're realistic and don't beat yourself up too much if you have trouble reaching a certain number. The important thing is that you're comfortable with how you look and happy with yourself :) Keep up the good work!

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Gonna go double check that stuff. I did BMR a while back (at old weight) and I thought 1200 sounded waaay too low. Plus, I think I'd get hungry at some point. I'm going to check out the articles, etc. you all mention.

I'm guessing he hasn't trained a lot of women. He's GREAT at weight training. He told me yesterday I'm one of the only women he's worked with who wants to do heavy lifting. He thinks 130s is a crazy goal.

I haven't measured my BF. I have one of those scales that does it but heard it was no good so I haven't used it in ages. I used it a while back and body fat was really high - like 28% or something.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Your trainer should be able to use calipers to pinch you--more accurate measure than the scales. Also, I am gonna say again, unless you got teeny-tiny bird bones, there is no way you should be 130. Tell me, how did you pick that number? is it the weight of a friend? your own when you were 13? Because it is really low. I am not trying to attack you, but I am 5'6" and at one point made it my goal to be 115...I cannot imagine what that would have looked like, at 123 I had ribs above my breasts.

Look at it this way--what difference does the number make, how do your clothes fit? can you get through a lifting session without tapping out your reserves? do you have consistent energy levels through the day? then keep eating. If your pants are getting tight in the middle, sure maybe you need to drop calories, but no way that is happening with the activity/calorie levels you have described. If you are getting tired (and burnt out) consider eating MORE. Just make it more really healthy food. Food is fuel, make every bite count...

Never cheat off the dumb kid.

Your trainer should be able to use calipers to pinch you--more accurate measure than the scales. Also, I am gonna say again, unless you got teeny-tiny bird bones, there is no way you should be 130. Tell me, how did you pick that number? is it the weight of a friend? your own when you were 13? Because it is really low. I am not trying to attack you, but I am 5'6" and at one point made it my goal to be 115...I cannot imagine what that would have looked like, at 123 I had ribs above my breasts.

Look at it this way--what difference does the number make, how do your clothes fit? can you get through a lifting session without tapping out your reserves? do you have consistent energy levels through the day? then keep eating. If your pants are getting tight in the middle, sure maybe you need to drop calories, but no way that is happening with the activity/calorie levels you have described. If you are getting tired (and burnt out) consider eating MORE. Just make it more really healthy food. Food is fuel, make every bite count...

Totally not feeling attacked. Actually feeling like I have people to talk to about this for the first time in ages. My friends only run marathons (not kidding) and they think I'm nuts and I'm easily twice the size of all of them and the yoga girls too. Boss only believes in eating low fat yogurt (but is overweight), thinks weight training is crazy and that some slow swimming once in a while is enough. I don't have anyone to talk to about this.

I picked the 130's based on BMI charts (I know I should know better but I can't help it). I also still feel like I'm huge compared to people. Thing is, my trainer pointed this out and he's right (and really smart): he asked: what is your goal? To look like a marathoner and be skinny or to be super strong? I said yes. and he slapped his head. He's generally giving me really good advice but I'm not feeling it. We've gone through the nutrition (I'm tracking it) and he really thinks it's spot on. He's not pleased that I want to lose weight and build muscle.

GAH! I hate this. I also now feel guilty about highjacking a thread. At least I didn't eat the leftover cookies I had from a party (where I ate none!) - I brought them to work and everyone else ate them. LOL.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Totally not feeling attacked. Actually feeling like I have people to talk to about this for the first time in ages. My friends only run marathons (not kidding) and they think I'm nuts and I'm easily twice the size of all of them and the yoga girls too. Boss only believes in eating low fat yogurt (but is overweight), thinks weight training is crazy and that some slow swimming once in a while is enough. I don't have anyone to talk to about this.

I picked the 130's based on BMI charts (I know I should know better but I can't help it). I also still feel like I'm huge compared to people. Thing is, my trainer pointed this out and he's right (and really smart): he asked: what is your goal? To look like a marathoner and be skinny or to be super strong? I said yes. and he slapped his head. He's generally giving me really good advice but I'm not feeling it. We've gone through the nutrition (I'm tracking it) and he really thinks it's spot on. He's not pleased that I want to lose weight and build muscle.

GAH! I hate this. I also now feel guilty about highjacking a thread. At least I didn't eat the leftover cookies I had from a party (where I ate none!) - I brought them to work and everyone else ate them. LOL.

Puh, no reason to feel guilty for the hijack. It's a place for everyone. Glad we can be here for you! I understand not having anybody to talk to. This is probably the first time in my life that I've had friends (both on and offline) to talk to about my weight/workout issues that can actually understand where I'm at and help support me. My mom always tried to "help" me, but that didn't go over so well. She couldn't understand why it's so hard for me - she's about 5'4" and has never weighed over 140 except when pregnant. Me, I take after my dad's side and am 5'6" and when I last weighed a few months ago, I was about 240. I haven't weighed below 200 since... early middle school? All my friends and cousins have always been that athletic types, so even when they put on weight in college, they had a goal to try to get back to... and I also wasn't as down on myself as they were. I've always been happy with who I am. Now I have friends that are in the same position as me - they want to be healthy, but they're still happy with their lives. So I've got a couple people that are going through the CrossFit and Paleo journeys with me. It's so nice to have support, so I love being here for others too :)

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Back on the self-talk/bad hormone days - It could be a number of things, and it sounds like stuff going on in your body. Definitely track yourself (as was mentioned), and if you have a friend, maybe they could watch too? I know my roomie always has a pretty good idea of how my body rolls, and can tell me, "You're always like this at this time." I notice a DEFINITE relation of how I feel/where I am cycling.

Also, lack of sleep, poor nutrition, lack of water, stress, non-controlled life-stuff, and the weather can all effect how you feel on different days.

If all that fails, you might want to check with a doctor, as mood swings can be a symptom of a different problem, like low thyroid (that's meeeeee!), chemical depression (my roomie) and other stuff I don't know about.

On the weight issue and eating!

Did I see right that you're 5'8" (I read REALLY fast!)? Or was it somebody else? I'm 5'10", and I was told by a few sources (friend that's getting a nutrition degree, father that has a physical education degree, and my own research) that I should *never* eat less than 1200 calories, and should average around 1500 to lose. Moar sources is better (rather than one). <3

Good luccccccck!

Puh, no reason to feel guilty for the hijack. It's a place for everyone. Glad we can be here for you! I understand not having anybody to talk to. This is probably the first time in my life that I've had friends (both on and offline) to talk to about my weight/workout issues that can actually understand where I'm at and help support me. My mom always tried to "help" me, but that didn't go over so well. She couldn't understand why it's so hard for me - she's about 5'4" and has never weighed over 140 except when pregnant. Me, I take after my dad's side and am 5'6" and when I last weighed a few months ago, I was about 240. I haven't weighed below 200 since... early middle school? All my friends and cousins have always been that athletic types, so even when they put on weight in college, they had a goal to try to get back to... and I also wasn't as down on myself as they were. I've always been happy with who I am. Now I have friends that are in the same position as me - they want to be healthy, but they're still happy with their lives. So I've got a couple people that are going through the CrossFit and Paleo journeys with me. It's so nice to have support, so I love being here for others too :)

Either get a new trainer, or have a stern talk with your current one. Losing weight and building strength are not mutually exclusive concepts, but I do believe you're going to have to let this ideal of low 130s go.

At 5'6", the only way you're going to get to that weight is to be skinny fat, like an anorexic supermodel. Low 150s is much more healthy for your height, and with a low BF%, you could carry even more weight than that and still look awesome!

Btw, I'm 5'4", 130 lbs, about 23.6% BF. my bmr is 1880 calories a day, to MAINTAIN this weight, BEFORE calculating in exercise calorie burn. Your trainer is a nut if he recommends 1200 cal for you.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Either get a new trainer, or have a stern talk with your current one. Losing weight and building strength are not mutually exclusive concepts, but I do believe you're going to have to let this ideal of low 130s go.

At 5'6", the only way you're going to get to that weight is to be skinny fat, like an anorexic supermodel. Low 150s is much more healthy for your height, and with a low BF%, you could carry even more weight than that and still look awesome!

Btw, I'm 5'4", 130 lbs, about 23.6% BF. my bmr is 1880 calories a day, to MAINTAIN this weight, BEFORE calculating in exercise calorie burn. Your trainer is a nut if he recommends 1200 cal for you.

I think you read me wrong. I said my mom has never weighed more than 140. I don't have a specific goal weight as of yet, I just want to see where I can go. I guess at this point my tentative goal is to get below 200 and I'll adjust accordingly as I go along. I'm not counting calories, just doing Paleo, but I definitely don't think I'm over eating. And I never expect to be really slender because I'm doing CrossFit and I'm going to be strong and awesome! I've already done a 225 lb. deadlift :D (but definitely couldn't maintain that weight for a workout)

I think you read me wrong. I said my mom has never weighed more than 140. I don't have a specific goal weight as of yet, I just want to see where I can go. I guess at this point my tentative goal is to get below 200 and I'll adjust accordingly as I go along. I'm not counting calories, just doing Paleo, but I definitely don't think I'm over eating. And I never expect to be really slender because I'm doing CrossFit and I'm going to be strong and awesome! I've already done a 225 lb. deadlift :D (but definitely couldn't maintain that weight for a workout)

Sorry! I quoted the wrong person!! It should have been Cline's last post that I quoted. Argh!!

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

This! Plus my comments = correct post.

~Oscar Wilde

I know how you feel hun , you are already doing really well . It is normal to feel this way , just don't be so hard on yourself . And do not compare yourself to other women , our bodies are all different and take different times to get into shape . Treat yourself the way you treat a friend . You will get there ! x

Pain is just weakness leaving the body

The world is changed by examples, not by opinions

“If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't fuck 'em!â€

― John Waters

What everyone else said about 1200 calories being an absurdly low amount to be eating if you're lifting heavy. I'm 5'2, weigh ~130 and the calorie counter that I use says that I need to eat 1300 calories to maintain that weight if I lie in bed all day, never mind going about my day being sedentary, and certainly not taking any exercise into account. I wouldn't go below 1700 on lifting days (and I'd actually suggest eating more) though you could probably get away with 1500-1600 on rest days if you want to.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to lose weight and be strong, but marathoners aren't hugely strong. They have super good endurance. So your trainer is right that you can't be super skinny like a marathon runner and lift heavy weights -- the gains you make in one will interfere with the other -- having a lot of muscle slows you down. If you actually want to look like a marathoner you'll have to train like one, but it sounds like you want to be strong and have low body fat, in which case, eat lots of protein and lift heavy. :)