A Thread to Discuss Those Mysterious Cryptic Emails!

Hey Nerds,

It occurred to me as I looked over the latest weird email we received from Steve (sort of, really Staci, but the video was Steve... oh whatever, you got it), that I want a place to go to discuss these, that is open to the NF community at large.  I am starting this thread to do just that.

More to come soon, I just wanted a place to link to.  We'll see if it works.  Facebook has its claws in us deep.  But what better way to communicate in a rebellion, than a cryptic underground message board that is far from the peeping eyes of Mark Zuckerberg?

• Like 3

I was hoping someone started a post for this.  The Mens group posted this today.

https://jointherebellion.com/?utm_source=aweber&utm_medium=email&utm_term=secret&utm_content&utm_campaign=blog

Not sure about posting the text message or not but i have it typed up and saved if you think we should.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Myrik said:

I was hoping someone started a post for this.  The Mens group posted this today.

https://jointherebellion.com/?utm_source=aweber&utm_medium=email&utm_term=secret&utm_content&utm_campaign=blog

Not sure about posting the text message or not but i have it typed up and saved if you think we should.

Sure!  Put it up!
And maybe share this thread on the men's group.  I can share it in the women's group, and I've shared it with Camp NF.

I haven't actually had much time to look into the cryptic emails, but I want to, and it'd be nice to have a go-to place to catch up on it.

So here is the Email I have already solved it and will put the answer under a spoiler tag

RL RFTT JLLV SKL KLTD GB SKL PLHLTTFGJ. RL YUOS UJFSL SKL BGUP. QTFQX SKL TGCGO BGP YGPL.  

Spoiler

WE WILL NEED THE HELP OF THE REBELLION. WE MUST UNITE THE FOUR. CLICK THE LOGOS FOR MORE.

• Like 1

Lovely! Good job!  And even better job hiding the spoilery text!
It's been a hot minute since I've used forums, so I am rust as all get out.

I clicked them all, my faction is totally Rheno, glad to see it lines up with my ideals as well.
I can't wait to learn more, but I'll be out of the country when it all goes down.  

We shall see....

Out of curiosity, how did you solve it?  Was there a key somewhere?  Or did you just crack it by process of elimination etc?

• Like 1

Ah, I see somebody solved it already. Good!

I think we need to do something with the logos on that url, that's also in the comment of the video on youtube.

Spoiler

If you click on them, you go to a seperate site with a bigger logo and the slogan. I feel we should do something with the logo or the slogan, but no clue yet how. My minimal photoshop skills don't help with trying to edit the logos together :)

Random thoughts...

• The short descriptions remind me of King, Warrior, Magician, Lover.
  • There were 4 houses at this year's Camp Nerd Fitness, right? Were they called the same?
  • It will probably be a structure perpendicular to the guilds. They are focussed around fitness goal. These new "factions" may focus around personality type.
  • I'm excited!!!!
  • Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

They are the same houses as camp, and each house had a different aspect that was capitalized in our letters we got with our tickets. MIND and PURPOSE were two of them. I think they've changed the wording for HEART and SPEAR. 

Yes. Much excite. 

• Like 2

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are footprints on the moon."

Level 1 Operative (Ranger/Assassin) | Current Challenge | Battlelog (Soon) | Past Challenges: One 

Instagram | MyFitnessPal

Thank you for starting this thread and thanks @Myrik for sharing the code!

• Like 1

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I'm a sucker for puzzles. I didn't pay much attention to the first email, but when I saw the code in the second one, with all those "SKL" giving you a great starting point, I had to do it. 

6 hours ago, Myrik said:

RL RFTT JLLV SKL KLTD GB SKL PLHLTTFGJ. RL YUOS UJFSL SKL BGUP. QTFQX SKL TGCGO BGP YGPL.  

If you want to do the code on your own, but want a hint: 

Spoiler

There is one long word there. It has a pair of double letters. It isn't an especially common word, but it IS one you'd expect to see in any secret email from Steve. The word was even especially prominently mentioned at the end of his previous email.

• Like 2

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups

13 hours ago, tinywonder said:

Lovely! Good job!  And even better job hiding the spoilery text!
It's been a hot minute since I've used forums, so I am rust as all get out.

I clicked them all, my faction is totally Rheno, glad to see it lines up with my ideals as well.
I can't wait to learn more, but I'll be out of the country when it all goes down.  

We shall see....

Out of curiosity, how did you solve it?  Was there a key somewhere?  Or did you just crack it by process of elimination etc?

I looked for the common repeating words.  I do a lot of cryptoquips in the sunday paper.

• Like 1

On the countdown page there is text hidden in the top left corner that says "ENTER THE CODE" but I can't figure out where to enter it or what the code is that it is referring to... Any ideas? 

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

7 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

On the countdown page there is text hidden in the top left corner that says "ENTER THE CODE" but I can't figure out where to enter it or what the code is that it is referring to... Any ideas? 

My initial assumption would be that it was placeholder text left unintentionally by whoever was putting the page together. 

But I assumed the same about the page title "Project Fragment".

I could be wrong on either of those.

The only other thing on the page is a copy of the code text from the email.

• Like 1

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups

8 hours ago, Darth Yoga said:

My initial assumption would be that it was placeholder text left unintentionally by whoever was putting the page together. 

But I assumed the same about the page title "Project Fragment".

It is very unlikely to be unintentional, since the text "Enter the code" only recently appeared. And the page title was not "Project Fragment" just a few days ago either.

I have no idea where to put in a code though, or what Project Fragment means.

My main question is: who are they pretending put up the page? The people following Steve, or the resistance to that force? Because for me, it is giving mixed messages right now. Before I would have assumed the resistance, but "Project Fragment" sounds more like the name of the bad guys' plan.

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

What clues do you think the picture from the library hold? 

I've been half tempted to call the NYC Public Library and see if they have any insights... but haven't, because I'm not going to bother them lol. If I lived in NYC I'd go check it out and report back. 

Level 1 Operative (Ranger/Assassin) | Current Challenge | Battlelog (Soon) | Past Challenges: One 

Instagram | MyFitnessPal

15 hours ago, trickstur said:

What clues do you think the picture from the library hold?

This is all I've noticed so far.

Spoiler

The logos for the factions are at the bottom of the right-hand page, with the words "You must unite the four..." written above them.

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Ahhhh! There's a thing on Rheno's page on mobile - not on my regular browser though... What is it? How long do I wait to load? 

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

It shows up on my phone and my desktop. However, in the code it shows

Spoiler

<div style="display: none;" id="mobile-extra-buttons">
  <div id="a">A</div>
  <div id="b">B</div>
  </div>

Extra buttons for mobile? They don't show up on my mobile yet. 

Instagram | MyFitnessPal

8 minutes ago, trickstur said:

It shows up on my phone and my desktop. However, in the code it shows

Reveal hidden contents

<div style="display: none;" id="mobile-extra-buttons">
  <div id="a">A</div>
  <div id="b">B</div>
  </div>

Extra buttons for mobile? They don't show up on my mobile yet. 

Think OLD school... what code uses A and B?  (although currently the page goes NOWHERE :(:( )

Battle Log of Awesome

Current Challenge: maigrey goes MAD ..ison

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 34(ish), 5(ish)6(ish)7(ish)8(ish)