A Thread to Discuss Those Mysterious Cryptic Emails!

21 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Pretty much that, Trick lol I'm not in Yoga but I'm everywhere else... just too enticing. Not going to lie the 'sorting hat' approach to putting people into their factions sounds very interesting. I'm stoked about finding out which banner I'll be flying.

I have mixed emotions about that; but I have to admit that I'm curious to see where it would put me. I have a decision to make, however, because I can only do the upcoming Rising Heroes or the Academy...not both.

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

26 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yep. Unfortunately, I thought it was rather awesome but I just don't have the scratch to do that. Don't have any monthly subscriptions I could cancel to free up capital for it either. Gotta make more money!

I hear ya. Money is limited here. I need to make wise decisions. Downsizing is in progress, but that takes time.

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Soli Deo Gloria

55 minutes ago, fitnessgurl said:

So...ok guys...opinions of Rising Heroes...go!

That does look really cool, but I think I'm going to stick with what I am doing for the time being. I'm super curious, but I'm pretty much on track right now. The challenge format I've got going is really working for accountability, and I've made some good progress. And like I said, I do better when I pick my own goals. I can manage to stray outside of that for Assassin's mini-challenges (some times) but beyond that, I know exactly where I want to go.

But for anyone who is on the fence about it, I can verify they are 100% behind the no hassle money-back guarantee thing. Just send an email saying, "Sorry, its just not my thing" and they refund the money.

• Like 1

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups

Just now, Darth Yoga said:

That does look really cool, but I think I'm going to stick with what I am doing for the time being. I'm super curious, but I'm pretty much on track right now. The challenge format I've got going is really working for accountability, and I've made some good progress. And like I said, I do better when I pick my own goals. I can manage to stray outside of that for Assassin's mini-challenges (some times) but beyond that, I know exactly where I want to go.

But for anyone who is on the fence about it, I can verify they are 100% behind the no hassle money-back guarantee thing. Just send an email saying, "Sorry, its just not my thing" and they refund the money.

Thanks!

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Soli Deo Gloria

I hear ya. Money is limited here. I need to make wise decisions. Downsizing is in progress, but that takes time.

I really hope Steve or others see this and rethink a bit. I just discussed with my wife and she agreed just too much but would have been fine with $15 a month.

I at first thought there was a free trial and considered trying it but it was instead a money back guarantee. I also looked for bills I could get rid of but none there.

The forums are meeting many of the needs I would get from this. This would give a better sense of community and a nice theme and story. Economically, $29 is too much for this. Make it $15 and I sign up today.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Current Challenge * My Fitness Pal * Habitica * Fitbit

My Blog: From MSW to Web Dev

2017: 1st Challenge

DEMOSTHENES131 — WIZARD

Lost Items Found.

Paranormal Investigations.

Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.

No Love Potions, Endless Purses, Parties, or Other Entertainment

2 hours ago, Darth Yoga said:

I pretty much feel the same (except for mini-challenges since I don't do them at all currently). But I still decided to join and check it out for the money back guarantee period. If it helps me, I'll stay if not I'll (probably) miss the story since I love stories.

• Like 4

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

7 hours ago, Dagger said:

I pretty much feel the same (except for mini-challenges since I don't do them at all currently). But I still decided to join and check it out for the money back guarantee period. If it helps me, I'll stay if not I'll (probably) miss the story since I love stories.

I may do the same.

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Soli Deo Gloria

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Please would you be so kind as to report on it a bit? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

It is hard to say this early if it'll be good or not, and of course that will be different for each person.

Right now, we're in the starting phase with similar start quests as the NFA academy, aka taking a snapshot of where you are right now.

There is also the first monthly/weekly mission(s). They have a time limit, like one is daily and if you want to earn points for your house/faction, then you have to click it complete within the time limit. But it also renews, so I guess if you want to give full points to your house you need to do it as often as the quest allows. Another is every three days and the third is weekly.

And they are somewhat focused. The every three day one is a workout, but it doesn't force you to do a specific one. Instead you can continue using your regular workout whatever that is.

I'm trying to walk a balance of telling what I see without feeling like I'm giving it away if that makes sense.

I think this will be useful for anyone that needs that extra urgency to help create habits. Someone who likes fighting for two things at once (themselves and their faction) since each mission will be to level up yourself, but if you do them timely then you also help you faction.

I hope that makes since. It's been less than 24 hours so...

• Like 6

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

*awkwardly points index fingers at each other*

Well uh I appreciate the initial report thank you! I just kinda meant as time goes on >_> I'm sorry for putting you on the spot!

Oh no, sorry if it came of that way. I always feel awkward about how much to tell about things. I just read a post in one of the fb groups that gave away a lot more than I. I'm just leery.

And really, more time will mostly show me if it works for me. But it isn't like NFA that has a lot of information about how to work out and mindset and nutrition and all that. It is more a story, quests with actual time limits, and motivation to get you to do stuff to help your faction.

I could call it a motivation platform if outside deadlines/time limits help you do things. If you are competitive it might help.

I'm actually not sure this would help me much, but I'll stay for a while longer (a month or the full two months) to see. These kinds of things only motivate me somewhat for a little while. But who knows? I stuck with Habitica for a couple of years before I only used it as a to-do list instead of habit building help.

I feel like either it will work for you and then it will be wonderful because it will help you build habits where you haven't been able to before. You'll get to be a part of a story and influence it and might find that fun. You get friendly competition with friends and that might help you build habits. You get to spend time with a lot of like-minded people if you use the facebook group.

But if you're already pretty great at building habits. Perhaps you've found a style of challenge here in the forum that works well for you. Then unless you want to pay for the story, it probably isn't going to do much for you.

Does that make more sense?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Plitog said:

For those that signed up, how was the first month?  Are you planning to continue?

I think there are three different times when this can be really useful:

• If you don't know where to start and just want someone to give you a plan. And you aren't looking just for fitness, but also improving all areas of your life (social, money, etc.). Then this can be really useful.
  • If friendly competition and points and stuff helps keep you motivated and doing stuff even when you don't feel like. Like if you used Habitica and it helped you do more in your life, then this can help too.
  • If you are in a rut and while you know what to do, you feel like you want something more to work for. Then this could be that extra something if you're willing to adjust some of what you do to do the missions.

I'm not in any of those positions at the moment. I know what I want to do, I have plans and ideas and I know that when more time/energy opens up, I have a list of things I can work on next.

Competition works rarely for me and only when my team is winning. If I feel like I do everything I can and the needle still doesn't move, then the competition part doesn't actually help me, it just feels like what I do doesn't matter. That is how I work. Other people rally when faced with obstacles like that. I'm just not a very competitive person.

And I'm not in a rut.

Basically, I can see the value in this and a few months ago this would have been great, but currently I am in a flow that works and adding RH didn't add anything (it also didn't subtract anything except money ;)). Perhaps in the future, I'll find that I want that guidance of missions.

I certainly find the story engaging and fun and wish I could continue to read that. Which is the reason I haven't left yet, but I will before my two months are up for a refund.

I hope this helps. As I said, it isn't for me right now, but I can see where I could potentially use it in the future or so.

• Like 2

I agree with what @Dagger said.

It's a good product and it does help you get out of your comfort zone. The community was great and I can see RH evolving into something amazing, if they keep improving the story. I think their downfall right now is there is no simple way to use the product. Yes you get emails and yes you can get the website on you phone but it would make things much easier to have an app. My problem was remembering to go to the website to check out what the dailies were and by the time I did, the opportunity would be gone for the day. 

I ended up getting a refund but suggest anyone who is interested to at least give it a try. 

• Like 3

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

44 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

suggest anyone who is interested to at least give it a try. 

I agree with this.