Lucky fire dragon counts the good things

Lucky fire dragon counts the good things

53a22e02c492b9679a6779ef626079ee.jpg

Starting a log here for reflection and a place to keep going in between challenges or anytime really as I struggled with my challenges this last year (2016) and want to play a bit around for a while.

Currently I am looking to

• re-establish strong workout and healthy eating habits
  • keep up the good work attitude, being pro-active and less procrastinating
  • keep up meditation habits
  • remind myself often to take pressure and judgement off myself in order to appreciate the good there already is and in order to LIVE (happily)
  • have enough structure to not have to even think about working out or not, just do it
  • have so much fun with exercise I look forward to it
  • balancing work, family and fitness in a way that makes me happy
  • feel good in my body, treat it with kindness, have it be my strongest, bestest friend

there is probably a ton more, but this is enough for now :)

In 2016 I had big changes in my work life and it affected me more than I wanted to see, but now I can honestly say, it's all good and valuable. I neglected any workouts for long enough to feel like a total beginner again and that, too, is not a bad thing. I can start again, but stronger than 3 years ago and kinder, too.

I realized that in the end, it is all about the joy. Without it giving me joy I won't do it for long and it won't be worth it either. So I switched from the L2+ courses at my pole studio back to Level 2 and yayyy, joy is back :)

I go for walks instead of running and am surprised how much I enjoy it. I do some yoga when it's easy to fit in and do it slooooowly with conscious pleasure of a fully alive body, no matter how far I can stretch or how long I can hold. I love Erich Schiffmann's idea of "flirting with your limits", playing with the minimum you have to do in order to make your body work some at all and the maximum beyond which it would be too much.

In between mental lows hit me and my mind tells me blah-stories about everything I suck at and it's way too easy to fall for it. I used to then make either massive plans to improve ALL THE THINGS or crumble and do nothing at all. Both didn't work very well ;)

Now I switch rather to larger perspective, breathe, get back to here and now and wonder "what would feel good to do right now?" "what would be a kinder thought?" "what would be a healthy choice for right now?" PLEASE remind me of these, when I forget again!!!!

Also really helpful is counting my blessings and former victories. Feel good things make me feel good, who would have thought :D

dory-shells-home.gif

I will let the things I like guide me home again and again...

Here is a list, so that they are easier to find ^_^

• dancing
  • spinning around the pole or hanging upside down
  • headstand and handstands (when I dare)
  • going for walks
  • hot baths
  • music
  • singing
  • silence
  • empty email inbox
  • clean house
  • sweating it all out
  • fresh clear water
  • a nice cup of tea
  • counting my blessings
  • laughing kids
  • laughing
  • coloring in
  • embroidery
  • funny stories
  • yoga

to be added onto

Over the last months I finally got a good work rhythmn and conquered ancient habits of procrastination that I often struggle with on any work stuff that doesn't have a fixed appointment. It's still challenging but much better, because I saw I could do it. What helped was discovering beeminder and connecting it with my to-dos on habitrpg. Beeminder would charge me actual money if I derailed too much and hubby would see it on our joint account and I realllllllly didn't want that as that would have been super embarrassing. So there it is. :shame: But it worked! I got a whole lot of old projects finally finished and it feels amazing.

Next goal on it is daily mini workouts to bring back a healthy habit without overambitious planning:

https://www.beeminder.com/gluecksdrache/daily10

My daily 10

10 push ups

10 chin ups (can be from standing on tip toe or even negatives from stool)

10 goblet squats 

10 leg lifts from hanging

First 4 days were HARD :o

Day 1 I had to do the push ups with feet wide apart (but elbows tucked in) and over 2 sets of 5 - managed only 1 chin up from standing, the rest were like halfway until I resorted to negatives from a stool - the goblet squats worked well with 8kg kettlebell, so yay on that - the leg lifts were super tough with straight legs, so I changed to tuck lift, then straight lower down

Day 2 went better with 2 chin ups from standing on tip toe

Day 3 the push ups were done in 1 set (woot) but with elbows slightly out and feet hip width apart, 6 chin ups from standing over several sets (woot)

Day 4 (today) push ups over 2 sets again, but 7 chin ups from standing over several sets, yayyy

Did it first thing in the mornings and found that great, because I get thirsty and start the day with a good dose of fresh water, I feel awake and satisfied by having that tiny workout :)

Daily weigh in

Another thing I want to keep going for a while as it tells me where I am in a way that shows tendencies and doesn't just soothe me (if I hit a light day and feel oh, I'm fine) or shock me (if I hit a heavy day and feel aaaaaaaah what is this?!!!) but more honestly tells me where I currently am.

Right now I am fluctuating between 65 and 68 kg, which is not a happy place for me, but I'll have to embrace it for now and use it for motivation instead of beating myself up about it. Goal is 62kg, but even 64 would already be awesome again.

Pole and Yoga

My third current fitness goal has its own accountability due to my weekly challenge with my youngest daughter :) She counts all her minutes spent on studying for school (besides homework) and I could all my minutes on strength training, pole and yoga done at home (not at class). If I only do my daily 10, it won't do for this, so I HAVE to do more in order to compete with her. Prices are high: I get some cool leggings for each week won (have 5 leggings on their way in the mail to me, so that will last a while) youngest gets favorite schleich toys (with cost limit) for each week won

I've been goofing around with what could be fun ways to keep it simple and easy to go to (like my daily 10) and played "the floor is lava" - having to stay on the pole for the duration of one song and training spin after spin for another song. Still takes me 30 minutes as I need to warm up first before being able to do anything and do want 5 min stretches after, but 30 minutes should be doable more often and it was great fun.

Once classes start again by January 12th, I'll have more detailed things to train...

So these are my three things to update on at the moment and I appreciate any extra accountability. Please shout at me when I neglect too much, because it really, really serves my happiness to do these!

Thank youuuuuuu :cheerful:

Here is some yoga fun on the pole to sum up for now, that turned out to be quite strenuous and good form training:

would love to create a pole sun salutation variation and already have some ideas, but I'll have to regain some more strength again first .... motivation :)

• Like 4

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

19 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Will read everything tomorrow morning, but just wanted to get that follow in before going to bed.

:cheerful::love_heart:

• Like 1

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

50 minutes ago, zenLara said:

So great to see you back and with so much energy! You rule!

awww, thank you :love_heart: 

Am very glad to be back in touch with all of you!

Not sure about the ruling :D but I do feel like my usual energy is finally back again and it is soooo delicious!
Might have to do with it being holidays right now ;) but I think that is only part of it. We'll see

• Like 2

Monday 26/12/16

Daily 10 

very tough

5/5 standard push ups with elbows a bit out

5/5 leg lifts (tuck lift, straighten and lower straight legs)

10 goblet squats (with 8kg kettlebell)

2/1/2/1/1 chin ups from standing, 3 negatives from stool

Daily weigh in

66 kg in the morning before breakfast

Pole and Yoga

nada

Good things

• went for lovely hike with whole family up to an alm hut with pretty view and yummy food for lunch
    deep conversation with my boy on the way, happy chitchat of youngest with her dad, oldest relaxed with us... naaaaaaaaaice :)
  • Sleeping in is a delicious holiday thing, too, and after the hike I rested on our bed with the satisfied feeling of being physically tired and having the time and space for it. There was nothing needing to be done, nowhere to go, no obligations, exercise and fresh air enjoyed already,... bliss
  • ate well but not overindulging, had a little glass of wine at night other than that only tea and lots of water
  • catching up on the forums
  • got my battle log up, yay

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zenLara said:

I love when I get in bed at night and feel so tired and I say to myself "this is the sign this has been a great day".

yessssss, exactly!

• Like 1

Tuesday 27/12/16

Daily 10 

very tough still BUT

7/3 standard push ups with elbows tucked as possible

3/1/2/2/1/1 chin ups ALL FROM STANDING :triumphant:

Daily weigh in

66,4 kg in the morning before breakfast

Pole and Yoga

nada

Good things

• went for lovely walk with youngest, 1 hour across fields in biting cold wind but sunshine too and mumfied with three hoodies (hat, pullover hoody and jacket) we look funny and had fun :)
  • had my parents over for the afternoon and lovely chatting over cookies, nuts and tea
  • baked cookies with youngest (which she looooooooooves) and nibbled only a little bit ;) 
  • had mostly mandarines and nuts at tea, very few cookies
  • leek-potatoe soup for lunch with smoked salmon, nom nom
  • lots of water had
  • neat house and cozy fire in oven
  • still on holiday, yummmm

not so good thing was having chips at night, but I won't count that here as I am counting the good things only :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

but I won't count that here as I am counting the good things only :P

That's the spirit! :D 

2 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

across fields in biting cold wind and mumfied with three hoodies

Happy to know I'm not the only one doing that.

• Like 1

Wednesday 28/12/16

Daily 10 

still tough 

7/3 standard push ups with elbows tucked as possible

10 leg lifts (tuck lift, straighten and lower straight legs) - 1 set woot woot

2/2/2/1/2/1 chin ups - all from standing again, yayyyyy

Daily weigh in

66,6 kg in the morning before breakfast

Pole and Yoga

nada

Good things

• went for another lovely walk with youngest, 1,5 hours across the fields, this time she shouted immediately that she wanted to come along even though it was quite late in the afternoon. Had lots of fun, playful chases, pretty sunset colors and came home when it was nearly dark already - adventurous. We were both glad for each others company :D and I love living in a country where it is safe to do this
  • youngest told me her biggest holiday wish would be 1 week hiking in the mountains with a tent and moving on each day to just spend as much time in nature as possible :o wow. I am super thrilled by this, because I have long been wanting to do a hike with them from hut to hut (we do live super close to the Alps after all) and I just thought they don't like hiking enough and therefore aren't fit enough. Now our boy asked recently when we could please go to the Dolomites for hiking and our girl saying this... let's just say our summer holiday plans are adapting accordingly ^_^:love_heart:
  • three loads of laundry done
  • happy embroidery time on British flag cushion for hubby's office (he is a private English teacher), it's coming along nicely now
  • still sleeping in because holidayyyyyyyy
  • there is probably more, but I am tired and have forgotten ;)

not so good was that after our walk I was so tired and hungry, I did cook a healthy meal but had two glasses of wine while cooking and too much chocolate afterwards... NOTE TO SELF: don't let yourself get too hungry when tired!!!! Have healthy snacks ready, drink water first (or tea when water too cold), GIVE TIME for food to arrive in tummy!!

Thursday 29/12/16

Daily 10 

ooof super tough today (regretting the whine from last night)

5/5 standard push ups with elbows tucked as possible

3/1/2/1/1/1/1 chin ups from standing

The goblet squats are the only part that is fairly easy and I was wondering if they were too easy, if I should maybe up the weight, but on the other hand it is soooo nice to have something easy as well :)

Oh, I forgot to tell you about something extra nice: Hubby dared bet that I won't pull my daily 10 through for a whole week and said if I do he'll give me a nice massage. If I don't do them every day, I have to massage him and he reveled in the thought of being spoiled already but realized yesterday already that his chances are slim, he had forgotten how stubborn I can be.

So when I struggle in the morning, he always gets his hopes up and tries to distract me or make me laugh because then I struggle even more... I'm going to be strrrrrrrrong after more mornings like this :D

Daily weigh in

66,6 kg in the morning before breakfast

Pole and Yoga

nada, will have to try and get some in soon, but tomorrow we will probably hike again and Saturday will tackle moving the rest of the office things

Good things

• moved office of hubby to new rooms in neighboring town, haven't managed everything yet, but got a LOT done and it already looks real nice :)
  • washed 4 double paned windows, meaning they are two parts (so that you can open them in the middle) AND have two layers, inner set plus outer set, so it was like washing 16 windows and my fitbit thinks now I walked 12 000 steps today. Could of course be as well due to carrying stuff up and down stairs and all...
  • went for lovely meal with hubby after moving work
  • kids were by themselves for most of the day due to move and coped perfectly fine, so proud of them, they even cooked for themselves (well baked frozen pizza in the oven, but still)
  • mindful hot chocolate after breakfast ^_^
  • that satisfied fatigue again that is so welcome in the evenings :)
  • Like 2

On 28.12.2016 at 11:43 AM, zenLara said:

That's the spirit! :D 

Happy to know I'm not the only one doing that.

7 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Wow you are doing so great! I like that Daily 10 especially, and your Good Things list is awesome.

Thank you. Am trying my best. Beating hubby at a bet does help :) 

It really helps me get some consistency in and I do feel it makes a difference already. The first days I could feel my upper back and shoulder muscles (as well as my legs, but that might have been from hiking) and now I don't anymore. So that is surely a good sign. Also the first chin ups seem to be more solid again, I just tire quite quickly.

Oh well, patience, they say...

• Like 1

You might have to build some stamina again, to keep going longer with the exercises, like the chin ups, etc. but you've got this! Your Daily 10 looks good and walking with the kids, playing, washing all those windows! Most of windows are with arms up in the air, and that is just hard. May I please send you a squeegee as gift? :P

Image result for window squeegee

Your Good Things section really has me thinking about my days, to focus on positive things and blessings. I really think I should include something like that in the next challenge. I need some positivity at the moment.

PS: I am in awe at your weight (66kg!) I think I saw those numbers the last time in high school!

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

On 30.12.2016 at 5:38 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

You might have to build some stamina again, to keep going longer with the exercises, like the chin ups, etc. but you've got this! Your Daily 10 looks good and walking with the kids, playing, washing all those windows! Most of windows are with arms up in the air, and that is just hard. May I please send you a squeegee as gift? :P

Image result for window squeegee

Got one of those, but prefer working closer up and yes, that did involve a lot of arms up :D good stretches.
I'm really excited for hubby how beautiful his office is now. Very light and friendly and all the furniture fitted perfectly too.

Some more walks were had, I love how it is coming naturally to us now and we do have the pretty fields with mountain view right outside our house. How blessed we are!

Daily 10 is getting better, thanks and you're on stamina coming back slowly, yay :)

Your Good Things section really has me thinking about my days, to focus on positive things and blessings. I really think I should include something like that in the next challenge. I need some positivity at the moment.

Mind tends to look for faulty things and I want to remember to keep it balanced :)  You do rave a lot about your blessings and inspire me often with it!

PS: I am in awe at your weight (66kg!) I think I saw those numbers the last time in high school!

Thank you :redface: I'm not :lol: In my matric years and studying (not sure what would be high school age) I weighed 49kg, sometimes 50kg!

Before I gave birth to my eldest I weighed 52kg and while I don't want that back - it was definitely too thin and I wasn't happy with that either - 66kg does feel uncomfortable to me and too much. If it was all toned, no worries, but alas it is rather wobbly around the middle :P

On the other hand I am grateful and numbers are so relative, aren't they?

A few years after the birth of my boy (second child) I exercised a lot and came to 64kg and wasn't happy with it. Now I'm thrilled when I weigh in at 64kg :D

A few years after youngest was born I was up at 73kg, so compared to that 66kg feels wonderful... it's all relative

This last week numbers seemed to climb every day and it did bug me, even though it might be water or other reasons. Have decided to not let it drive me into frustration-overambition-planning for big schemes I don't pull through, but rather stick to my daily 10 and reinforce my efforts to train on the pole more often. Current plans are fine, I must just stick to them and once I manage to do that solid, I can ponder more.

Hah, there crazy mind, take that :P

• Like 2

On 30.12.2016 at 7:20 PM, Elastigirl said:

Love the bet with your hubby! I believe he is the one who will be giving the massage.

Thank you :) He did, mwahahaha

16 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Yay! I found you!

yay :cheerful:

• Like 2

Friday 30/12/16

Daily 10 

tough, but look at those first sets improving, yay

8/2 standard push ups with elbows tucked as possible

7/3 leg lifts (tuck lift, straighten and lower straight legs)

3/1/1/2/1/1/1/ chin ups from standing

Daily weigh in

66,9 kg in the morning before breakfast

Pole and Yoga

still nothing because part two of moving office took up most of the day after all and then I simply was too lazy and tired

Good things

• moving office part 2 done, old room completely cleared
  • youngest helped voluntarily and we carried together up and down and up and down with high spirits
  • got her a little gift as reward (toy family of zebras of those schleich toys she loves so much)
  • got her also her reward toy for last weeks challenge win, she was in paradise that day ^_^
  • cooked supper instead of ordering pizza despite being tired from move
  • sunshine
  • kids revelling in their school holidays

Saturday 31/12/16

Daily 10 

getting there :triumphant:

10 standard push ups with elbows tucked as possible in 1 set, woot woot

7/3 leg lifts (tuck lift, straighten and lower straight legs)

4 (!) /2/1/2/1 chin ups from standing

Daily weigh in

still 66,9 kg in the morning before breakfast

Pole and Yoga

nothing and no excuse

Good things

• sleeping in
  • no appointments - I love that
  • got lots of laundry done, house neat
  • lovely new years eve at my sisters place with her family, games and laughter
  • only a little sparkling wine with orange juice and elderberry sirup, yummyyyyyyyy
  • seeing my parents so healthy and well (they live in the same house as my sister and joined us briefly)
  • Like 3

Sunday 01/01/17

Daily 10 

the chin ups are still super tough, but the rest is definitely getting easier :)

10 standard push ups with elbows tucked in 1 set  :triumphant:

10 leg lifts (tuck lift, straighten and lower straight legs) in 1 set  :triumphant:

10 goblet squats (with 8kg kettlebell) definitely getting too easy :D I did add other kb moves that day

4/1/2/1/2 chin ups from standing

had energy to spare, how cool is that?? and added

20 two-handed kb swings with the 8kg bell, but they didn't feel like much either, so 

10 one-handed kb swings with each arm, felt more of that, but still wanted to do more

10 back lunges each leg with the 8kg kettlebell held in the hand of the lunge side - now that was a lot harder to do, but it's a hassle as I have to remove the fitbit for not crushing my wrist with the kb on it, so I'm hesitant on including it into the daily things... luxury problems to have :lol:

Daily weigh in

67,3 kg in the morning before breakfast :blink: not happy

Pole and Yoga

finally happened, yayyy

I have to be honest, my girl did it! She kept up so well with our weekly challenge, studied lots of Latin and had a 20 minute headstart on me. I was sooo tempted to not train again (had been for a lovely long walk with hubby in the sunshine, so surely that would have counted as exercise :P ).... but I couldn't let that pass again and got up and trained for 47 minutes on the pole :triumphant:

Warmed up with some zombie dancing and then properly, spent two short songs just practicing climbs and holds to get that flipping crooked foot look neater and point it, worked on some inversions and headstand, and one song entirely on spins... all around a great workout

I am nowhere near to where I used to be, but I did some and that is what is important. Also I can still do plenty that is fun, so there, stupid nagging brain, take that :D

Good things

• daily 10 getting easier
  • lovely long walk with hubby in sunshine
  • everybody beaming for happy new year and good weather to give it a great start
  • cats survived all the noise fine
  • lovely fire in oven to warm after walk
  • trained on pole, yayyyyyyy
  • won our weekly challenge, mwahahaha, am the most evil mom ever ;)
  • my girl telling me she nearly would have done some more studying just to top me again, but then decided she got such great toys this week already, she will let me win as well for a change :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

... it's all relative

LOL, definitely relative, because my 83-84kg feels so much lighter than the 94kg I weighed two years ago! And I can't think that I'm supposed to weigh 72-74kg according to my length, because that would be way too thin, and I won't be strong! I don't worry too much about weight now, more about the fact that my clothes are more loose, or too big.

Look at those Daily 10s jumping and then you added a couple of KB workouts too! Yah, for training on the pole as well! You are really on a role now. Hope hubby enjoys the new office.

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

2 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

LOL, definitely relative, because my 83-84kg feels so much lighter than the 94kg I weighed two years ago! And I can't think that I'm supposed to weigh 72-74kg according to my length, because that would be way too thin, and I won't be strong! I don't worry too much about weight now, more about the fact that my clothes are more loose, or too big.

great place to be and you are in pretty and awesome shape from what I can see on your pics!

2 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Look at those Daily 10s jumping and then you added a couple of KB workouts too! Yah, for training on the pole as well! You are really on a role now. Hope hubby enjoys the new office.

yayyy, it did feel great to add that, have to say :)

Oh yes, he does, thank you!

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you in a while and it turned out my follow post didn't actually come through. But now I'm here and can congratulate you for getting on that pole! Though I'm disappointed there's no video of the zombie dancing! :D 

Hah! I knew you would pick up on that :D Got the idea from a yoga session where the teacher included it to loosen the spine and generally, since then I love the term and moving like a zombie for warm up. You should try it some time, you'd love it! 

But no, no video of that will ever come from me :lol: I'd have to loose a very bad bet for that to happen

Might rather share some pole goodies again :)

By the way, it might be worth attempting the shoes at exotic! Can't say I could walk in them ahahaha or do anything else, but they sure seem a great weapon to have around when you can work them ;)

• Like 1

So I could not resist and joined the new challenge again ^_^

and while I was at it I joined the Rising Heroes as well :ph34r: Am super excited now!

Will update today still here and then switch to the challenge for a while and update there...

Monday 02/01/17

Daily 10 

had some fun again :)

10 standard push ups with elbows tucked in 1 set  

10 leg lifts (tuck lift, straighten and lower straight legs) in 1 set  

4/2/2/1/1 chin ups from standing :triumphant:

had energy to spare again, hah and added

100 two-handed kb swings with the 8kg bell

I really need to ask my neighbor for a heavier kettlebell. Thing is she already looked at me with such big eyes when I said the 6kg was getting too easy, could I maybe borrow her 8kg? She used to train with them with her hubby, him having the heavier ones and her the lighter ones - I guess - and she was most impressed with me even asking for 8kg. So now I didn't want to come along already again asking for more... but I will have to, because this is getting ridiculous. Or I have to learn TGUs :P there the 8kg is probably perfect for now... any ideas? @Elastigirl what would you recommend here?

Daily weigh in

66,9 kg in the morning before breakfast - phew, now we're going the right way again

Pole and Yoga

not today

Good things

• daily 10 being so much fun
  • lovely walk with my boy, catching some pokemon and being patient while he complained about winter cold (he does it every single time). I simply breathed deeply, didn't push back but let him get it out of his system
  • some work done and spoke to nice new clients
  • shopping done for the week
  • pretty snow fall late afternoon, picture book scenery out there
  • signed up for Rising Heroes, yayyy
  • made brussel sprout chips, yummy (can see I won't ever overeat on those as they taste real nice, but are a lot of work ;) )
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I'd have to loose a very bad bet for that to happen

I'm sure this could be arranged... ;) 

12 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

By the way, it might be worth attempting the shoes at exotic! Can't say I could walk in them ahahaha or do anything else, but they sure seem a great weapon to have around when you can work them ;)

Haha we'll see!  

• Like 2