• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Endor

Crossfit Games: The Open 2017

Coming off a week of being sick, so next to no food, I got most of the way through the 4th round RX. Figure that's pretty good and I'll make up the difference in the coming weeks. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Endor said:

Nice job! Rx or scaled?

Scaled. Considering that a week ago I had the same movement in a workout and I was supposed to use the heaviest DB I could lift (20kg) for 20-30 reps, using 17,5kg for 17.1 is pretty big for me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Scaled. Considering that a week ago I had the same movement in a workout and I was supposed to use the heaviest DB I could lift (20kg) for 20-30 reps, using 17,5kg for 17.1 is pretty big for me

You know your body best, last thing you want to do is hurt yourself. From a purely strategic perspective a few Rx reps are better than heaps of scaled but if your goal is to get a good workout or you flat out can't lift the 22.5 for a snatch then scaled is the way to go. 

Kudos for 2 attempts, wild horses could not drag me to perform that workout a second time!!

• Like 1

Apparently the coach's idea of a Gymnastics workout in-between Open workouts is to do Murph in teams of 2 (no vest). That and much more from yesteday in my Battle Log entry:

Including Leaderboard results for all CF Piraeus athletes. TL;DR version is I'm 118/128 in the country on the Overall leaderboard and 28/48 on the Scaled leaderboard. For reference, the guy I was head to head for a spot last year is 127/128 on the Overall and 47/48 on the Scaled leaderboard.

• Like 1

<This unfollow bug is too annoying and long overdue a fix! >

Cross post but I don't think Murph is a great idea for a workout during the Open, I'm avoiding volume at the moment. Still working out of course but taking it reasonably easy. I guess that's one of the benefits of having a coach that's made Regionals 3 times, he has the experience to know what to program ;) 

The other coach at my box is the same age as me (42) and is a distinct possibility to make the Games this year as Masters athlete (have to be top 20 in the world), will be super exciting if he does! 

Every year a group from the box goes to watch Regionals, I'm considering going along this year.

4th from last in the males at my box but most of them are a lot younger than me and I'm just stoked I can take part again this year :) 

• Like 1

I'll agree on Murph being too much in between Open workouts, but on the other hand I appreciate the "toughen up" approach instead of fooling around with easier WODs when it's not Open day. Kudos to my box for doing WODs as crossfit.com posts them every day these days, the idea being that it's the best way to prepare for whatever the Open will throw at us.

17.2 is out and it's dumbbells galore. Will be doing Scaled again, as my Bar MUs are not solid enough to be done in a workout. I was surprised their alternative is just chin ups instead of chest to bars.

I'm not sure about just following main site, sounds a bit too much like lazy programming to me...

I'm kinda surprised you're not Rx'ing 17.2 as you have BMU. Are your knee still troubling you?

17.2 is done for me and I won't be repeating, hands are trashed, make sure you protect them well.

I got to the BMU's at 8:14, almost got my first ever BMU but not quite....next time! 

• Like 1

I can do like, a single BMU, but not many as part of a workout. I prefer to go Scaled and get a good workout than go Rx just for the rankings and spend half the workout trying to hit a second BMU.

That said, I gave it a shot few hours ago. Knee KILLED me during the lunges, to the point where I decided to buy knee sleeves lik, yesterday. Power Snatches also were tougher than usual, as I couldn't put much weight on the leg so I missed the dip/hip assist. On the bright side, knee raises and chin ups went great, my grip is finally strong again and I go the kipping/tempo good after a long while. Knee had a hard time with the shock of landing, which prevented me from breaking bar movements to many small sets and also told me scaled was wise, since I don't want to imagine what it would feel like landing from a BMU.

Score is 107 reps, 3 full rounds and half the lunges from the 4th.

• Like 1

Such a shame about your knee, just terrible timing. Knee sleeves are essential, if only for not having filthy grazed up knees at the end of the workout!

Power cleans with dumbbells are weird, harder I think than with barbell.

Good news on the grip, you sure need it in 17.2!

• Like 1

I've saved the knee sleeves for later for the exact same reason, as I've protected my knees using compression tights so far. I also didn't want to be the super-fashionable-accessorized dude when I'm usually finishing last in the workouts. Now it's not even a practical thing, it's a necessity for knee support and pain reduction. Did my research on Sunday, made a call today and I should be able to go pick them up Wedensday.

Dumbbells are generally considered the "odd object" in this year's Open workouts so far. Being two separate weights, they expose the difference in strength between arms, plus you also have to try and not slam their heads against your jaw on the way up.

Also, is it just me and @Endor posting here???

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Also, is it just me and @Endor posting here???

They're busy with their re-do's to try to beat me!! :P  I'm sure @Niccolo is crushing it ;) 

don't want to be the super-fashionable-accessorized dude when I'm usually finishing last in the workouts

All the gear and no idea! That's a common aussie saying! It also applies to me, I love the toys and the snazzy clothes, I'm reebok from head to toe!

My knee sleeves are Rehband, they've lasted well, get ready for the worst stink ever though!!

slam their heads against your jaw on the way up

I'm really good at this with barbells! Chipped a tooth last year, what a jerk! (brrrboom tish!)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Endor said:

I'm really good at this with barbells! Chipped a tooth last year, what a jerk!

Light, high-rep barbell movements inevitably result in me either wiping my glasses off my face or bruising my nose. I guess a swift bar to the face is one way to find out your form has deteriorated... 

I'm with @DarK_RaideR on scaling for a good workout. I got my first bar muscle ups during the open last year, but they're hit and miss after the first one. I spent 6 hours yesterday flipping/rolling chunks of white fir, pushing a wheelbarrow loaded with said fir up a muddy hill, and swinging around a chainsaw that's too big for me. My lower back, quads, and arms are already toast... 17.2 might not happen 'till the end of the week for me! Since I'm not officially signed up for the open, the "when" of getting it done doesn't matter so much. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Endor said:

They're busy with their re-do's to try to beat me!! :P  I'm sure @Niccolo is crushing it ;) 

HA!   Haha!  Hahaha!  You funny guy. 

Yeah, I've been doing okay, considering I'm coming back from sickness.  I barely got to the MUs in 17.2 with 30 seconds left.  I didn't hit either of the two attempts I was able to get on it.  I would have liked to get more time to rest, but lunges hate me.  

Oh well.  I'm hoping for something heavy, something oly for 17.3. :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IslandGirl_Becks said:

chunks of white fir

I was thinking wow she must live in Alaska and slaughter hundreds of polar bears, how cruel! Then I realized it's probably a tree? :lol: 

8 hours ago, Niccolo said:

I'm hoping for something heavy, something oly for 17.3

That's my guess too, probably Deadlifts or cleans i reckon. Probably a ladder of some sort. 

Hope you feel better, geez are these sickly wounded nerds around me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Endor said:

That's my guess too, probably Deadlifts or cleans i reckon. Probably a ladder of some sort. 

Same guess here, 17.3 will probably be the workout to seperate Regional/Games athletes from the common (wo)man, then the repeat workout will be 17.4 or -less likely- 17.5

10 hours ago, Endor said:

I was thinking wow she must live in Alaska and slaughter hundreds of polar bears, how cruel!

Hahaha! Nope, I'm no bear hunter. I do keep a nasty-big bottle of pepper spray at hand when I'm in the mountains! Grand firs or white firs are nasty suckers, in that their tops tend to blow out and the branches snap and give out while you're cutting or standing on them. 

3 hours ago, Endor said:

This is a distinct possibility:

https://games.crossfit.com/workouts/2016#workoutsWeekTab4

I hope not. 

I never want to see 16.4 again. 

14 hours ago, IslandGirl_Becks said:

the branches snap and give out while you're cutting or standing on them. 

You're doing it wrong!

Image result for idiot with saw tree

Castro posted some playing cards as a clue to 17.3 and people are guessing a ladder. I say who cares, as if the fishes had anything to do with 17.2

Also, kudos to @Rurik Harrgath for bringing this to my attention

• Like 2

It's 16.4 repeat.....watch this space!

55 deadlifts
55 wall-ball shots
55-calorie row
55 handstand push-ups

On 3/9/2017 at 11:01 AM, Endor said:

It's 16.4 repeat.....watch this space!

55 deadlifts
55 wall-ball shots
55-calorie row
55 handstand push-ups

I meant for next week!!! :P 

Squat snatch is going to be very challenging for me, not something I have done a lot of. C2B's are also pretty new for me, going to be an interesting challenge. If I even get to the second round of snatching I'll be stoked. 

How about everyone else? Rx or scaled?

• Like 1