• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Endor

Crossfit Games: The Open 2017

I'm not that good at pullups. Last year I got several no reps on the C2B as I couldn't pull myself high enough, so jumping pullups will way easier. Also, my Snatch 1RM is at 60 or 65kg, so roughly that 135lb tier. That said, as per my usual tactic I'll go Scaled today in order to get a good workout and make it as far as possible. There's a good chance I'll also try Rx on Saturday or Monday. If I can get through the C2B without getting a ton of no reps, I'm aiming to at least beat the first time cap.

• Like 1

Hmm, 60kg snatch who has C2B goes scaled....are you trying to win the scaled division? ;) So what if you get a few no reps? Go Rx, you'll crush me! 

17.3 is done for me, I'm very pleased with my result. 

Spent about 45 mins warming up my snatch from broomstick all the way up to 43kg in 2.5 jumps. I know that is a ton of volume but I haven't snatched more than a few reps for 2 years since my car accident. I was amazed to get past 20kg and my coach was really pleased too. 

Ended up with:

6 x Chest to Bar

5 x Squat snatch at 43kg. 

I know that doesn't sound like much but that's 5 massive 1 rep max lifts for me, very very challenging and very hard work. I'm ready for bed now :D 

Damn it felt good to snatch again though, I think I got the bug again so I see more snatching in my future!

Next is the part where @Niccolo makes his comeback and squashes us all into the dirt where we belong :lol: 

• Like 1

Well I did Scaled and it was a mixed bag of emotions thanks to my busted knee. Worth mentioning my Snatch 1RM PR is 50kg

I opted to Power Snatch+Overhead Squat which is a little extra time and effort, but easier on my knee. Receiving the bar over parallel is considered a no rep and I didn't want to risk any of those. Told the judge about my injury and how I'd go down slow so he'd have to tell me when I was below parallel. First round with an empty bar (44lb) and 74lb was a breeze, though I could feel the shock on my knee landing from the jumping pullups, despite the knee brace. Went to the 114lb snatch (51kg) and hit the first round, along with a new PR. Second round I got one rep. Then a no rep for not locking my arms (which I was, but I felt like I hadn't gone below parallel, so I accepted it). At the bottom of the squat there, I felt my knee give in, just like when I first tweaked it. Pushed through another snatch, but at the bottom of the overhead squat my knee gave up and I threw the bar. Didn't want to give up so I kept trying until I ran out of time, but my knee hurt from the moment I brace to get the bar off the ground so I couldn't do it. Official score is 93 reps.

Like I said, mixed bag of emotions. On one hand I feel heroic for pushing through and getting a PR, on the other hand I'm pissed because I know I could have otherwise made it to the next round.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

my Snatch 1RM PR is 50kg

My bad I thought you'd said 60kg, sorry!

Went to the 114lb snatch (51kg) and hit the first round, along with a new PR

Awesome! 51KG PR is fantastic and with a dodgy knee too! What a great result! 

At the bottom of the squat there, I felt my knee give in, just like when I first tweaked it

This doesn't sound good at all, hadn't realised it was bothering you so much, sorry to hear that. I hope it's nothing serious, knee injuries can be nasty. What shoes were you wearing? I recently figured out that I think my knee pain comes from wearing my lifters for cleans, maybe your shoes are contributing? 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2017 at 11:25 PM, Endor said:

What shoes were you wearing? I recently figured out that I think my knee pain comes from wearing my lifters for cleans, maybe your shoes are contributing? 

I've mosty given up on my trusty old Nanos, as the interior is no longer squishy and the sole feels too thin. These days I mostly utilize my trail run/OCR Reeboks, with better ankle cushioning and shock absorbtion.

I borrowed a warming gel from the girlfriend (think Tiger Balm, but in gel from) and it's done miracles with my recovery. I also located that the pain doesn't originate from the tendons/muscles above the leg, but it dies down all the way to the ankle and the muscles that move the foot. Been creaming my knee and shin consistently and it's working, though I'm not sure I'll be able to give 17.3 another shot today.

• Like 1

I kept it RX, but I haven't done many pull ups over the last few months, and it really showed.  It feels like that's what killed me in 17.3.  The 95 lb snatches were pretty easy, even if I missed a few due to depth (stupid stiff hips).  But, as the pull-ups went on, I wasn't able to keep them controlled and started swinging wildly.  I need to work on that, since it cut my sets down to 3-4 reps.

I was able to get a few reps into the 135 lb snatches, but not much beyond that.  Just completely ran out of time.  

Still had fun though.  :)

• Like 2

Also, I'm really entertained how everyone thinks that I'm a badass. :) I'm flattered, but I don't know if I can live up to the expectations.  

Meh.  Less worry.  More badassery.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Niccolo said:

I was able to get a few reps into the 135 lb snatches

Great job, that is not an easy accomplishment. There must be something about chest to bar that messes with the kipping, I find it hard to control them too, way harder than regular kipping pullups. 

1 hour ago, Niccolo said:

I'm flattered, but I don't know if I can live up to the expectations

I think you'll find some 'A grade' badassery on display right here!

16388072_1368090833222255_85322664544509

Seriously though, I remember you doing really well in the Open last year, at least compared to me so I've had my eye on your scores. It's fun to have someone to chase even if you know you're unlikely to hunt them down! I'm pleased to have caught you up a bit this year but I think the workouts have favoured me and you've not been on top form. Your lifts are a lot heavier than I can manage at this stage too but "I'll get you next time Gadget"!

• Like 2

I also located that the pain doesn't originate from the tendons/muscles above the leg, but it dies down all the way to the ankle and the muscles that move the foot.

I'm really starting to think we're like E.T. and Elliott or something, I'm still having treatment for tightness all down my leg and into my ankle that causes me super stiff and painful Achilles. Oh wait, wasn't Achilles Greek? OMG we're linked and this is all your fault! (or maybe all my fault :P )

I'm dreading Castro announcing Double Unders, I haven't done any for months for about 5-6 months since I developed this ankle issue....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Endor said:

Seriously though, I remember you doing really well in the Open last year, at least compared to me so I've had my eye on your scores. It's fun to have someone to chase even if you know you're unlikely to hunt them down! I'm pleased to have caught you up a bit this year but I think the workouts have favoured me and you've not been on top form. Your lifts are a lot heavier than I can manage at this stage too but "I'll get you next time Gadget"!

Dude. 

You have no idea how much your post means to me.  I seriously had to take a moment after reading it, because it sounds so much like me. 

I’ve spent years chasing my rabbits, trying to catch them.  I’ve managed to beat them on a few workouts that favored me, but as I got better, so did they.  It’s pushed me to find precision (which I still don’t have), find strength, and find speed that I didn’t know I had just to keep up. 

I never thought that I could be that person for someone else. 

So, thank you, sincerely, for saying this.  It means so much, especially with how beaten down I’ve been feel during the Open this year.

Well, c’mon and I’ll lead you on a merry chase.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Niccolo said:

Dude. 

You have no idea how much your post means to me.  I seriously had to take a moment after reading it, because it sounds so much like me. 

I’ve spent years chasing my rabbits, trying to catch them.  I’ve managed to beat them on a few workouts that favored me, but as I got better, so did they.  It’s pushed me to find precision (which I still don’t have), find strength, and find speed that I didn’t know I had just to keep up. 

I never thought that I could be that person for someone else. 

So, thank you, sincerely, for saying this.  It means so much, especially with how beaten down I’ve been feel during the Open this year.

Well, c’mon and I’ll lead you on a merry chase.

You're most welcome, nice to know someone else is in the same position too :) 

It's so easy to forget how far you've come, I looked back in my workout journal, when I first started out I could only squat 60kg, now it's 122kg.

I know you've been doing it a bit rough recently but I have a feeling the best is yet to come for you ;) 

• Like 2

Nice try @Endor, but you know I'm Scaling instead of Rx'ing badly, so I don't concern myself with rankings. As far as I rank better than I did last year (and beat the chubby guy from my box I was head to head last year and it pissed me off) I'll be fine. For now, it's simply survival mode as I make it through the Open with the damn tweaked knee.

Did I mention I signed up for a 3vs3 competition on Saturday?

46724208.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

rank better than I did last year (and beat the chubby guy from my box I was head to head last year and it pissed me off) I'll be fine

Good goal to have, I think you're on track so far too?

15 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

3vs3 competition

What's this then? Like a partner WOD but 3 of you and presumably against another team(s) of 3? Sounds like fun :) Do you know what the movements are yet?

------------------------

Welcome to Gainsville, population me :P 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Endor said:

Good goal to have, I think you're on track so far too?

After 17.3 results, I'm 123 and he's 131 in the Country.

7 hours ago, Endor said:

What's this then? Like a partner WOD but 3 of you and presumably against another team(s) of 3? Sounds like fun :) Do you know what the movements are yet?

Not much is known yet (yes, I signed up on a whim). It's for our box members only, teams of 3 and depending on the number of participants, will either take up all of Saturday or all of the weekend. Updates as I get them.

• Like 3

DR, that sounds like fun!

I did 17.3 (scaled) on Monday for 143 reps. I did one of my best-ever (feeling) squat snatches in the 2nd round of the #65 lifts (3rd overall round), but was power snatching and squatting on the following round. Obviously, I need to drill my oly lifting!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IslandGirl_Becks said:

I did 17.3 (scaled) on Monday for 143 reps. I did one of my best-ever (feeling) squat snatches in the 2nd round of the #65 lifts (3rd overall round), but was power snatching and squatting on the following round. Obviously, I need to drill my oly lifting!

Such a great feeling when you make a good snatch! It's similar to hitting a great golf shot or scoring a goal, you can feel the win! Well done on 17.3 :encouragement: 

I was super excited today and planning my day around the 17.4 announcement, my wife is coming home at lunchtime so I said, yay you can watch it with me. She said but it's Thursday today. FML was so gutted :lol: 

• Like 1

On 15/3/2017 at 9:55 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Updates as I get them.

Box is moving to the nearby stadium for Friday and Saturday. Friday is free classes for all levels and at 20:00 we'll be having the first team event. Also, two box members will be giving 17.4 Rx a shot at center stage. Saturday team events are at 11:00, 13:00, 17:00 and finals at 19:00 with free classes for all levels in between. Assuming 17.4 will be the WOD for Monday. Keep an eye on my challenge thread for potential photos!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Box is moving to the nearby stadium for Friday and Saturday. Friday is free classes for all levels and at 20:00 we'll be having the first team event. Also, two box members will be giving 17.4 Rx a shot at center stage. Saturday team events are at 11:00, 13:00, 17:00 and finals at 19:00 with free classes for all levels in between. Assuming 17.4 will be the WOD for Monday. Keep an eye on my challenge thread for potential photos!

This sounds fantastic, your box really knows how to get people involved and excited! So much better than that other one you were going to for a while!

• Like 1

On 09/03/2017 at 11:01 AM, Endor said:

It's 16.4 repeat.....watch this space!

55 deadlifts
55 wall-ball shots
55-calorie row
55 handstand push-ups

Told you so! What's my prize?! :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Endor said:

Told you so! What's my prize?! :D

55 deadlifts
55 wall-ball shots
55-calorie row
55 handstand push-ups

• Like 2

I'm excited for the repeat!  Looking forward to trying to beat my score from last year. :)

I really enjoy my box's Friday Night Lights setup.  They run heats all afternoon from about 3 to 9 pm with big crowds watching and cheering the entire time.  They also bring in a DJ and have party lighting going on the entire time.  It's a trip working out there. :D 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

I'm excited for the repeat!  Looking forward to trying to beat my score from last year. :)

I really enjoy my box's Friday Night Lights setup.  They run heats all afternoon from about 3 to 9 pm with big crowds watching and cheering the entire time.  They also bring in a DJ and have party lighting going on the entire time.  It's a trip working out there. :D 

Cool, it's just me and coach in a PT usually so nowhere to hide!

How did you do last year?

I can't seem to find last year's score on the games site....

I was most of the way through the row last year, if I remember right. My goal is to get to the HSPU this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1