Crossfit Games: The Open 2017

Endor

16 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

I was most of the way through the row last year, if I remember right. My goal is to get to the HSPU this year.

ok now I have a target :encouragement: I think I'm unlikely to get that far but I'll give it a shot. I think I got about 10 wall balls last year.  

This workout destroyed my back last year, took about a week to recover, I'm hoping my deadlift PR since then will get me through. 

Doing it in 50 mins from now!

Oh I found my score, got 11 wall balls last year, still can't quite believe I completed those deadlifts last year!

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

Way to go Endor!!!

I got 40 cal on the row, which handily beat my score from last year. Woot woot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

51 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

I got 40 cal on the row, which handily beat my score from last year. Woot woot!!

2 cal PR, nice job!

Damn it now I regret taking too much rest on the wall balls!! :P I really need to improve those. 

How long did the deadlifts take you?

My back is shot to shit this morning. 

• Like 1

2 cal PR, nice job!

Damn it now I regret taking too much rest on the wall balls!! [emoji14] I really need to improve those. 

How long did the deadlifts take you?

My back is shot to shit this morning. 

The deadlifts were about 3-4 minutes. I did sets of 5 with 5-8 seconds rest between. Wall balls were sets of 8ish. Just didn't have my usual strength on the row.

• Like 1

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Coach programmed 16.4 on Thursday. Guess who did exactly the scaled workout that day?!? At least I don't feel bad about being out of town this weekend!

• Like 2

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

6 hours ago, Niccolo said:

The deadlifts were about 3-4 minutes. I did sets of 5 with 5-8 seconds rest between. Wall balls were sets of 8ish. Just didn't have my usual strength on the row.

That's pretty much what my coach told me to do but I wasn't up to it. I did sets of 3 DL's every 20 secs. Wall balls are my nemesis, I did between 4 and 8 per set with too long rests. Got no repped about 4 times, each time I took a long rest before starting again. One point I thought fuck this I'm going to get some chalk and walked off, coach screaming at me "where the hell are you going?!!" :lol: 

Agree, when I got to the rower I was smoked, strange feeling, oh where's the power gone?!!

4 hours ago, IslandGirl_Becks said:

Coach programmed 16.4 on Thursday. Guess who did exactly the scaled workout that day?!? At least I don't feel bad about being out of town this weekend!

Strange programming....hope your back is up to a redo on Monday...oh I can't remember if you are entering scores or just doing the workouts?

How was scaled for you, did you finish a full round?

• Like 1

So the 3vs3 Battle I signed up for.... turns out there was an entire "Hobby Festival" going on for 2 days. Dancing, Zumba, Miniatures, Drones, Wargaming, Subbuteo, Cosplay, LARP, Roller Derby, Crafting, Curling, BMX, Climbing and Rapelling, Videogaming, Krav Maga, Tae Kwon Do, there was a stand for everything and so was there for Crossfit. Free classes went on for visitors and our 3vs3 Battle served to spice things up.

Friday night's event was 17.4, with each team scoring the total number of reps for its 3 members. Limited space with many participants, so various setbacks included

• Guys from previous heats making it to a second set and asking me while Deadlifting if I had a lot more left (I did, but even bothering to answer threw me off)
  • Someone stealing my MedBall before I started the Wall Balls. Had to find another
  • Hearing the coach say "Time" when I still had 3 Wall Balls left, stopping to collapse only to have the SRLF come let me know that time was up for the previous heat, not mine. 10-15 seconds wasted easily

And I still scored 1 rep better than last year! Re-trying it on Monday, of course. I know I can do better.

Also, our final event was kinda brutal

That's right, I called out Castro in the description. You know who to blame next year.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Endor said:

Strange programming....hope your back is up to a redo on Monday...oh I can't remember if you are entering scores or just doing the workouts?

How was scaled for you, did you finish a full round?

I'm just doing the workouts. And yep, one round down and into the 2nd round of DLs :) 

7 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

That's right, I called out Castro in the description. You know who to blame next year.

Cajones!

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

14 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:
  • Guys from previous heats making it to a second set and asking me while Deadlifting if I had a lot more left (I did, but even bothering to answer threw me off)
  • Someone stealing my MedBall before I started the Wall Balls. Had to find another

This is the part where I kill someone. So rude.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2017 at 5:01 AM, PachaTisai said:

So, I'm late to the party, as I JUST got back on NF, but wanted to say hi to everyone #intheopen.  What are you hoping to see/not see tonight?  Any predictions?  I'm saying death by db thrusters.

Thursters...it had to be Thrusters.

I did 17.5 Rx this morning after a very tough week at work and in the box.

It really kicked my ass both physically and mentally, but mainly mentally. Highlighted a big weakness for me, I'm crap at Thrusters and I'm having a really hard time recovering when face with 2 high volume gassy movements.

I almost gave up all the way through the first 6 rounds, stood around for ages recovering and just telling myself it sucked, I sucked and I didn't wnat to do it and I would redo Monday instead. Coach seemed to read my mind and told me I was finishing it and I could do it. I kept trying.

Got to 32 mins and was concerned I might not make the cap so I picked my game up a bit.

Finished in 36:22 a crappy time for me I thought but my goal for the Open was to finish it all Rx and I did that so I am happy. :) Coach told me physically I had a lot more in the tank, as witnessed by no drop in form when I actually did the Thrusters and stoppped whinging and I did a 35 DU unbroken set to finish the workout.

Super happy with my snatch PR too :)

e3bb8fb11c32e1aaeed813870a3fd514.jpg

• Like 2

As my coach put it, thrusters are supposed to be the hard part for scaled athletes while Rx can handle the weight and are supposed to have a tough time with the DUs. If you sucked at Rx thrusters, that must have sucked.

I re-tweaked my knee on the 5th or 6th set but stubbornly pushed through for a 13:36 score

• Like 2
9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

As my coach put it, thrusters are supposed to be the hard part for scaled athletes while Rx can handle the weight and are supposed to have a tough time with the DUs. If you sucked at Rx thrusters, that must have sucked.

I re-tweaked my knee on the 5th or 6th set but stubbornly pushed through for a 13:36 score

I can do the Thrusters Rx, I'm just not used to the feeling of discomfort. Double Unders are not a problem for me, I spent a lot of time getting the technique right. 15 mins practice before every WOD for about 5-6 weeks.

A time like that I guess you did scaled. I reckon you could have done this Rx as well...maybe next year? Anyway good time for a scaled version anyway :encouragement: 

Did you beat the chubster?!

• Like 1

Well, I came down with the plague this week, so I can't do the last workout in time for it to count. :( I can barely stand for more than a few minutes, so a workout like this is certainly out of the question. Oh well. Health is more important than the Open. I'll come back next year, hopefully healthy for the entire 5 weeks.

Good job everyone!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

Well, I came down with the plague this week, so I can't do the last workout in time for it to count. :( I can barely stand for more than a few minutes, so a workout like this is certainly out of the question. Oh well. Health is more important than the Open. I'll come back next year, hopefully healthy for the entire 5 weeks.

Good job everyone!

Bummer, hope you feel better soon. Exactly the same thing happened to me last year and I couldn't do 16.5.

If it's any consolation, if you were going to miss one, this is the one to miss! It was a bitch.

Get the chicken soup on the go!

• Like 1

On 25/3/2017 at 7:27 PM, Endor said:

A time like that I guess you did scaled. I reckon you could have done this Rx as well...maybe next year? Anyway good time for a scaled version anyway :encouragement: 

Did you beat the chubster?!

Of course I could have done this Rx, especially with that 40' cap. Since we're not competing for rankings or a spot at Regionals, my box supports the idea of picking Rx or Scaled and sticking with it to the end. Guess it's part of an overall politic against cherry-picking workouts.

I don't know what chubs did with 17.5 as he did it the following day, but with 17.5 scores still unconfirmed, he's at 131 and I'm at 125.

As the Open draws to a close, I'm looking to percentages in order to compare performance because attendance soared. 134 athletes in Greece did the Open this year, compared to just 49 in 2016.

• Like 1
On 27/3/2017 at 9:36 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

I don't know what chubs did with 17.5 as he did it the following day, but with 17.5 scores still unconfirmed, he's at 131 and I'm at 125.

As the Open draws to a close, I'm looking to percentages in order to compare performance because attendance soared. 134 athletes in Greece did the Open this year, compared to just 49 in 2016.

Score submission closed, I'd like to think that pretty much all of them have been verified and there are none pending. I fell to 127, but chubster remains at 131 so I beat him for 4 places, as opposed to last year's head to head race where I won simply by doing 16.5 Rx.

2016 numbers

99.625th in the world out of 102.681 male athletes. Better than 3% of male participants

15.871th in Europe out of 16.248 male athletes. Better than 2,3% of male participants

47th in Greece out of 49 male athletes. Better than 4,1% of male participants

16.4 score: 146 reps

2017 numbers

181.368th in the world out of 201.949 male athletes. Better than 10.2% of male participants

35.292nd in Europe out of 38.237 male athletes. Better than 7,7% of male participants

127th in Greece out of 135 male athletes. Better than 5,9% of male participants

17.4 score: 175 reps

Disclaimer: Due to a change in how Crossfit sets up the leaderboards, 2016 numbers don't take into account athletes who signed up but didn't submit scores for some or all of the workouts. Also, actual participants might be more, due to ties in the rankings.

• Like 3

I don't do crossfit at all or know much about it, but if anyone plans on coming to Madison let me know!!! :D

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads