Quads not recovering

I started a new job, cave-guiding about 6 weeks ago - lots of walking, climbing, fording the river etc etc. I wasn't overly fit when I started, so it's been a challenge (but I'm loving it!). However, it seems like my quads aren't recovering like I would've thought they should be by now. Even having 2-3 days off in a row each week, they feel stiff and tired to the point where it feels almost impossible to drag myself back out of the cave at the end of each tour - even on the first day of my week. Today, it feels like I may have even slightly pulled one of the muscles (pain in the upper-front thigh during the rock climb and walking up the hill on the way out, pushing the clutch in while driving etc). I haven't done anything that would cause a pulled muscle (no accidents). 

Just wondering if anyone knows of something I can do to help them recover better - especially on my days off. The rest of my body has mostly adjusted, so I'm really hoping the quads will soon, too!

First, I'd suggest a physical therapist, kinesiologist, or doctor to try and diagnose your specific problem. 

If that's not an option, and you want to try to self diagnose or experiment to see if you can resolve it yourself, some things you could try:

Warm up before and cool down after your shift. Try a good dynamic warm up routine (google could help) before your shifts to loosen your joints and get your muscles ready. After a shift, try some controlled movements or stretching to keep things loose. Tai Chi, Yoga, etc.

Similarly, try some kind of stretching or movements on your off days. Nothing too strenuous, but something to get those limbs moving and blood flowing. 

I've seen many people have success with foam rolling tight muscles. I've never tried it, but maybe something you could look at.

• Like 1

Battle Log

"Those who feel themselves despised do well to look despising. The smile on Bernard Marx's face was contemptuous." 

O wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't.

— William Shakespeare