Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2017)

36 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

I just wanted to boast mention that I have passed Lothlorien and am on my way to Rauros :D 

Slightly not fair, though, the Fellowship had boats for this stretch! ;) 

Woohoo, way to go!! That's a big milestone!  :-D

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Great job Vibrantella!

I could use those boats right about now too. I have been hobbled by a foot injury.

Oh no, sorry to hear that! How did it happen? Hope you're better soon!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

On 2/14/2017 at 1:28 AM, Vibrantella said:

Oh no, sorry to hear that! How did it happen? Hope you're better soon!

Running, kicked a rock, tripped, caught myself deep in stride, and kept running, not hardly missing a beat. So nothing cool unfortunately lol. Didn't hurt or even feel it at the time. I actually ran 12 more miles. Next day it was swollen a bit, and just never went away. Nothing painful or anything, just nagging. 3 weeks later I finally realized it was serious. Now I have 6 weeks in a boot and no marathon to show for it :-(

All will be good though. I will make up for it when I am freed from this confounded contraption. I will make it back home to The Shire!!

How is everyone holding up?

I would almost trade the weather with some of you, with me being mostly grounded anyway. Because it has been REALLY super nice here in Phoenix lately! My daughter is loving it though, so sorry... *knock on wood* :playful: (things like this are probably what gets me in trouble, jinxing myself, and breaking things)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, charlomechfry said:

Now I have 6 weeks in a boot and no marathon to show for it :-(

Ouch!  Goes to show how dangerous low-level injuries can be.  Take good care of yourself!

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

tumblr_n5u8r6Oe1w1tqou9go1_500.gif

Yeah!  My son is going to join me on my walk to mordor.  We walk alot playing pokemon go and he's thinking about doing x-country next year as a freshman so I suggested that it might be interesting to see how long it would take him to get to mordor.  I signed him up with my nerd fitness name/his name (mom2sjm/max).  

• Like 2

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

On 3/24/2017 at 9:54 PM, mom2sjm said:

Yeah!  My son is going to join me on my walk to mordor.  We walk alot playing pokemon go and he's thinking about doing x-country next year as a freshman so I suggested that it might be interesting to see how long it would take him to get to mordor.  I signed him up with my nerd fitness name/his name (mom2sjm/max).  

Awesome! Welcome Max! If your gonna run, might as well run through Middle Earth!

I likely won''t be running for at least another month. The foot turned out to be more of a problem that I thought. 

Great job to the rest of you! Keep racking up those miles!!

• Like 3

Hooray, other people walking to Mordor!  (Thanks @maegs for pointing me to this thread!)  I've been working on a capstone project for engineering school to develop an app to track your progress to these locations.  It's currently in alpha testing, and hoping to have it out by late summer if all goes well.  I've gotten the map directly from Emil over at the LotR Project site, and I'm working on figuring out what I can safely use under fair use versus what I need to get permissions (licensing?) for.  Anyway, it's a work in progress, and I'm looking forward to getting it out for public use as soon as possible.

Is this something that you all would use on your journeys?  While I'm working on some (optional) gameplay mechanics, the point is to avoid the necessity of staring at the screen all the time a la Pokemon Go. :)  I'd love to hear any thoughts you all have on this.

P.S.  Here's an early version of the main screen:

screenshot.png

• Like 3

Anyone not willing to risk being left behind?

45 minutes ago, maegs said:

Happy to help! I like the idea of having a visualization of your progress as you go. Something that I would like is if it synced with e.g. Fitbit, Strava, etc. so that you don't have to manually enter your steps/distance. I don't know how hard it is to do that though, or if any licensing/agreements would be required

I actually wrote to Fitbit requesting a device for project development, but they never got back to me.  I'm fairly certain that most of those devices are open to application-syncing/use of an open-to-the-public software development kit so people can build software for their units, and that is on the table for later releases (we've discussed integrating with Google Fit, etc., as well).

Haha, forgot to mention: this already does auto-logging.  It currently pulls step-count data from the phone. :D

I wanted this to be as simple and intuitive as possible and get rid of manual logging for everyone currently using spreadsheets.  (Although, I must say, the one for this tracking is possibly the nicest spreadsheet version I've seen in my research of Walking to Mordor logging.)

This is currently based on an average stride length, but we've discussed integrating other, more accurate ways to track.

• Like 1

So I'm fairly new to NF but this look like just my thing! I love LotR, I've read the entire trilogy 9 times including once in German (Btw the german dubbing of the movies hit the voice for treebeard just right imo). I just started 7/1 and while it may not be the most impressive goal I think I'll be happy if I can stay consistent and make it to Rivendell by the end of the year or ideally by Dec 25 so I can set out with the fellowship. This will average out to about 2.3 miles a day. I think I can make that. I want to keep my start a little conservative, and then build on that. Also, one thing I want to do is keep track of my kayaking distance and use that towards the Lothlorien - Rauros Falls section. This may be the part that takes me the longest, but I'm curious to see how much watertime I can log for this. So any kayaking I do in the meantime I am going to set aside for that leg of the journey even if it is out of order.

Water Distance to date - 1.5mi / 389mi

• Like 3

Challenges: 1st [B-], 2nd [NA], (6 years away),  3rd[A-], 4th [B-], 5th [C], 6th [Current]
Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet)

"Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
(Don't wait for the ideal circumstances, get to work NOW)

The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step.

Could someone check my numbers on the spreadsheet?  My numbers for July and my totals overall match (1189.95 km) but the distance to my next destination don't match up.  My total number shows 291.05 km to Lothlorien but on July it's showing -452.95 to Lothlorien.  

Thanks for fixing!  The negative number is getting in my head :)

I-will-never-get-that-image-out.gif

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

On 7/17/2017 at 10:35 PM, mom2sjm said:

Could someone check my numbers on the spreadsheet?  My numbers for July and my totals overall match (1189.95 km) but the distance to my next destination don't match up.  My total number shows 291.05 km to Lothlorien but on July it's showing -452.95 to Lothlorien.  

Thanks for fixing!  The negative number is getting in my head :)

Fixed! Thanks for finding that! There was just one misplaced letter in the formula made specifically for your situation. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I just got back last night from rafting the Grand Canyon for 19 days!! And now leaving in a few hours to visit family out of state for the weekend... Hopefully I will be joining the walk again soon. Happy walking all!!

• Like 2
On 7/20/2017 at 7:56 AM, charlomechfry said:

Fixed! Thanks for finding that! There was just one misplaced letter in the formula made specifically for your situation. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I just got back last night from rafting the Grand Canyon for 19 days!! And now leaving in a few hours to visit family out of state for the weekend... Hopefully I will be joining the walk again soon. Happy walking all!!

Thanks for your help!  It's nice to see a positive number.  It's put a spring in my step.  Hope to reach Lothlorien soon!

psy247.gif

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Just joining in kind of late, but my fitbit had all my numbers for the year and they are all now entered in the spreadsheet.  I plan to make it back to hobbiton by the end of the year, most of my walking is during my work though LOL.

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

On 4/26/2017 at 6:42 PM, Dav Ghtroc said:

Hooray, other people walking to Mordor!  (Thanks @maegs for pointing me to this thread!)  I've been working on a capstone project for engineering school to develop an app to track your progress to these locations.  It's currently in alpha testing, and hoping to have it out by late summer if all goes well.  I've gotten the map directly from Emil over at the LotR Project site, and I'm working on figuring out what I can safely use under fair use versus what I need to get permissions (licensing?) for.  Anyway, it's a work in progress, and I'm looking forward to getting it out for public use as soon as possible.

Is this something that you all would use on your journeys?  While I'm working on some (optional) gameplay mechanics, the point is to avoid the necessity of staring at the screen all the time a la Pokemon Go. :)  I'd love to hear any thoughts you all have on this.

P.S.  Here's an early version of the main screen:

screenshot.png

Hi I was wondering if there was any news on this app? I would love to be able to see where i get on my journey.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, jokeen16 said:

Hi I was wondering if there was any news on this app? I would love to be able to see where i get on my journey.

Yep.  It's in production.  I am updating here every couple of weeks, if you're interested in the process and how it's coming (slowly right now, but that should change once some things settle down here at the end of the week).

• Like 1

I just found this thread :D 

My girlfriend and I have been doing our own Walk to Mordor for a while, although we did occasionally go a month or so without updating... :flustered:
The link is my signature, I believe we are somewhere around a combined 700 miles. It's been good though, since we have a long distance relationship (Washington and France) it feels like we're doing something together!

• Like 2