Pasta, Bread, Rice HELP!

hadoo

I am new here, so bear with me. I want to do Paleo but don't think I can seriously cut out pasta, bread, rice. If I can't cut them out, what are the BEST options for keeping them in my diet? Is there a certian brand of bread that is better, or pasta that is better? Any help is appreciated!

If you'd like to cut these things out of your diet eventually then start with moderation on their consumption now. Not sure how often you eat each of them but start cutting it down slowly. Instead of bread twice a day, do bread once a day. Or instead of two slices, do one. Same with pasta and rice.

As far as better choices go: conventional wisdom recommends opting for items that are whole grain. Read the ingredients and opt for whichever has the least amount of ingredients (generally) and the best options. Avoid enriched wheat, etc because that means it's been so processed it's lost most of its nutrients (which is why the enrich it). For bread, I'm a big fan of Ezekiel brand (found in freezer section of healthy area in stores). Their products are pricier than most breads but worth it. You can also look at your local markets/farmer markets for bread that is homemade and full of natural ingredients.

Pasta--same.. look for whole grain. Rice, go for brown, basamati.. anything but instant white rice, really.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

First of all welcome. Second of all, making a choice to improve your life is something you should do in small, measureable increments so you can feel successful and "level up" at the accomplishment of every tiny step.

I have a terrible gluten sensitivity that gave me bowel issues and also aweful heartburn. I had direct reason to quit gluten and it still took me a long time to finally face that fact and then take the steps necessary to eliminate it from my life. If you are eliminating these foods in an effort to lower carbs in your diet, I suggest you do so very slowly and pick one specific thing to wean off--the first I would choose because it will show you the most change is high fructose corn syrup, white sugar products. You can still eat the other stuff, just get the sugar out. If a product HAS these ingredients on the list, you should not eat them. Do this for a week or so and see how you feel, then choose something else.

Not all "primal" diets are paleo and some allow potato and rice. i eat Archevore and some folks eat the Perfect Health Diet. I can have a small amount of white rice, white peeled potato, traditionally prepared corn and beans. Usually to the tune of one serving of one of those a day and then because I don't feel like eating it all I half the serving.

This should not be a race, it should be a slow and steady journey to life long health, so wean off slowly and you will be able to get to a healthy spot. Best of luck!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

I'm with the others, cut things out slowly. For your baby steps, I'd probably either go gluten-free or cut out refined sugars first. I think the really glutenous grains are probably the most problematic ones, but going gluten-free instead of grain-free would probably be easier as there are a lot more gluten-free things available these days. I thought it was going to be really difficult for me to cut out the grains too, but it hasn't been as hard as I thought. If I need a fix I go with potatoes (regular or sweet). I've also been starting to use kelp noodles in stir fry and stuff. It's definitely not real noodles, but having the "noodle" texture makes it satisfying enough for me. But yeah, if you can't cut things out, I'd go for good quality whole-grain breads and pastas as suggested before.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

I'm pretty far from Paleo and regularly eat all 3 of those items.

Bread - I love my bread. Specifically the strong flavored heavy breads. Which incidentally tend to be the best too (whole grain, super low GI/GL, etc..). I like my wheat bread to be grainy and coarse, not just brown, and I love strong rye breads. There is absolutely no way I could ever give up eating sandwiches. This type of bread tends to be very high calorie, so so have to be aware, however it is also extremely filling.

Pasta - The differences between "good" pasta and "bad" pasta are basically Coke to 7 up. The differences are very marginal. Really it doesn't matter all that much, but label read and pick the ones with lower calories and higher fiber. Pasta can be really good if timed right, it is a really good food to eat after a big workout. Pasta dishes tend to be low protein so you need to get that too, but pasta is one of the best foods there is for recharging your glycogen stores, a reason competitive endurance athletes are often big pasta eaters. Bonus points for pasta is that it doesn't go too good with most of the super bad foods hence it is rare to have a pasta dish with ridiculously high calories.

Rice - I'm a huge fan of brown/wild rice mixes. The stuff with a lot of natural flavor that doesn't need much seasoning. It is also dirt cheap. White rice is pretty much like eating sugar, however IMHO is is lame and boring. Same thing as pasta, rice is good for recharging glycogen depletion after exercise. I love the mix you can find in the organic section of the local grocery store. Soo much better tasting than anything in the regular rice section, and per serving it is actually cheaper than the seasoned stuff.

Do you happen to have a good reason for cutting these things out other than being less fat? Unless you think you have an allergy there is no good reason to cut any of these things out.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Oh man.. Nutella is delicious but I'm not sure about its nutrition profile. I feel like there's a reason I don't buy it. BUT that could be nothing because I am currently obsessed with Justin's Hazelnut Butter (similar-but supposed to be all natural). So freaking delicious. I have a slice of my ezekiel sprout bread with some most mornings at work (as well as greek yogurt). NOM.

In general, if you want to lose weight you'll want to keep all nut butters to a minimum because they are quite calorie dense. But I'm a fan of all things in moderation. No reason you can't have it. Just be aware of how much you're having :)

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

i tired paleo for 30 days but overall it wasn't for me. i have taken alot of the lessons from it, however, and now try and eat more protein, fruits, and veggies. instead of thinking of this in terms of what you can't have, perhaps instead try and think of a few awesome meals that don't incorporate any of the foods you want to avoid. i used to never feel like my meal was "finished" until i had a piece of bread but now as long as i have a starch of some kind i'm good. i ate potatos while doing paleo (i read various opinions and it seems that there is a difference of opinion as to whether these are really paleo or not) so perhaps subbing potatos for your pastas and rices can help. also, pay attention to your body in terms of how certain foods make you feel. i try and keep my pastas and breads to a minimum because i've found that when i eat them, i never seem to feel full and i keep eating even if i've clearly had enough in terms of calories.

best of luck and welcome!

what are your thoughts on Nutella? Totally random, I know.

It's candy, and should be treated as such. Or maybe it's frosting and should be treated that way. Not that I don't eat candy - I just pay attention to the fact that it's crap-for-food and limit myself appropriately.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

i tired paleo for 30 days but overall it wasn't for me. i have taken alot of the lessons from it, however, and now try and eat more protein, fruits, and veggies. instead of thinking of this in terms of what you can't have, perhaps instead try and think of a few awesome meals that don't incorporate any of the foods you want to avoid. i used to never feel like my meal was "finished" until i had a piece of bread but now as long as i have a starch of some kind i'm good. i ate potatos while doing paleo (i read various opinions and it seems that there is a difference of opinion as to whether these are really paleo or not) so perhaps subbing potatos for your pastas and rices can help. also, pay attention to your body in terms of how certain foods make you feel. i try and keep my pastas and breads to a minimum because i've found that when i eat them, i never seem to feel full and i keep eating even if i've clearly had enough in terms of calories.

best of luck and welcome!

I used to think that a meal wasn't complete without bread or a starch too, but even before I started Paleo, most of my dinners had dropped their starches because I had just gotten so lazy about cooking. It was usually a meat that I could toss in a pan or the oven and some quick steamed veggies.. so much simpler. I guess that's part of the reason the switch was easier for me. Sandwiches used to be most of my lunches though, so that's been a little more difficult. I just have to make sure I cook enough for dinner to bring leftovers now.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

I've done well with replacing foods with healthier alternatives and eating smaller portions. If you cut out all of the junk and eat smaller portions, you'll do fine in losing weight. Paleo is meant to allow you to eat as much as you want. So, unless you are super hungry all the time, Paleo doesn't seem like the right diet for you.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Good thread b/c so many different perspectives.

I went primal then largely paleo. I don't miss the grains, etc. at all. I replaced all rice with greens - spinach or kale (my preferences). So, anything I put on rice, I now put on greens (raw). I saw rice more as a delivery system for sauce versus something on its own. I never sat down with a bowl of plain rice, so I don't miss it too much. Potatoes? Same thing. Once in a blue moon, on a very heavy lifting day, I'll have about 1/2 cup of white potato or sweet potatoes.

Bread = delivery system for butter. So, honestly, I only miss it a bit. I hadn't eaten any in about 3 mos and tried a really good piece lately. It was okay. I wasn't thinking "OMG I miss this soooo much" nor was I thinking "wow why did I ever eat this?". It just was. So I was done.

People are really different. I've never been a huge pasta person, so don't miss it. BUT love my sauce - put it on spaghetti squash or meat or yes, greens (I've done it).

BUT, I did love oatmeal and miss it dearly.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Sounds legitimate :D Also, I don't know that it's relevant for you, but I thought this story on going Paleo/primal with a child from Mark's Daily Apple was really interesting.

Ugh. Parents that don't immunize their kids. LOL doctors around here have been telling parents to get lost if they try that crap, find someone else. They are taking a stand against it. One of my wife's classmates was all anti-immunizations until his young son nearly died from one of the things that the DTAP immunization would prevent.

Finding out if your kids have allergies though should not be a reason to laud a particular diet. These parents frankly sucked at introducing solid food the right way. You should be able to catch a severe grain allergy. There is a reason you are supposed to add one food at a time in a planned and deleberate way, watching for changes, and waiting 3-4 days before moving on. We've been going through this process for 8 months now and really only have nuts and honey to go.

Raising a kid paleo though.... no noodles, bread, cheerios, or milk, oh my. What do you do when they reject mom's spoon (ours has refused purees since he was about 7 mo old, finger food instead).

currently cutting

don't panic!

Hi hadoo, first, as a fellow mom, major kudos to you for nursing! I'm proud of every mom that does it considering how much pressure some of them can encounter to not do it.

Okay, that out of the way, as others have said try cutting down first and see how it goes. If you feel like you're depriving yourself of anything, it's a recipe for disaster and will be easy to backslide. You may find, especially if you track your calories with something like Lose It! or My Fitness Pal that the amount of pasta/rice etc. you can eat and still stay within your budget leaves you so unsatisfied that you prefer eating something else anyway. And, the less you eat this stuff, the less you'll crave it. Funny how that works. :)

I LOVE junk food - or should I say LOVED? Because although I have always had a sweet tooth that gets me into trouble (and at one point in my life, size 20 jeans) I find that after a few weeks of not eating it I just don't want it anymore. Last week I just cleared out my desk of "emergency" sweet snacks and put them in the office kitchen; I removed the "touch this and DIE" restrictions on the low-calorie ice cream in the freezer at home, the little cookies, etc. I've done the same with the savory carby stuff like pita chips, potato chips, etc. They're just not that appealing anymore, especially since so many of them are loaded with sodium and I know it'll make me weigh more (water weight) and feel bad. :D It's like quitting smoking - I might want it now and then, but not really enough to pick it up and do it. It's just not really worth it.

So ease down, but do it slowly, and do it on your terms, and you may be surprised at how at some point it doesn't feel like giving something up - it just feels like making a different choice.

Good luck to you!

Ugh. Parents that don't immunize their kids. LOL doctors around here have been telling parents to get lost if they try that crap, find someone else. They are taking a stand against it. One of my wife's classmates was all anti-immunizations until his young son nearly died from one of the things that the DTAP immunization would prevent.

Finding out if your kids have allergies though should not be a reason to laud a particular diet. These parents frankly sucked at introducing solid food the right way. You should be able to catch a severe grain allergy. There is a reason you are supposed to add one food at a time in a planned and deleberate way, watching for changes, and waiting 3-4 days before moving on. We've been going through this process for 8 months now and really only have nuts and honey to go.

Raising a kid paleo though.... no noodles, bread, cheerios, or milk, oh my. What do you do when they reject mom's spoon (ours has refused purees since he was about 7 mo old, finger food instead).

:high-five:

Thanks NotBadForAHuman! I nursed my daughter for 2 years; and now have been 4 months with my son. It's hard while working full time, but I make it work somehow.

Oh, awesome!! :) I nursed my first son for 4 weeks, ran into trouble, and stopped (lack of support). I nursed my 2nd son, 11 years later, for 19 months and my daughter was probably 2.5 before she was completed weaned (it was more of a sleepy early morning comfort thing for the last few months). I am even more impressed that you're doing it while working full-time! That is NOT easy. Total high fives to you!

Hahaha, I wasn't saying they were model parents by any means, just said it was an interesting read. My kids (if I ever have them) will definitely be getting their immunizations. Maybe not all the flu shots and everything through school, but there's too much scary stuff out there to risk not having them. Even if the risk of things like small pox is really low...

Oh, awesome!! :) I nursed my first son for 4 weeks, ran into trouble, and stopped (lack of support). I nursed my 2nd son, 11 years later, for 19 months and my daughter was probably 2.5 before she was completed weaned (it was more of a sleepy early morning comfort thing for the last few months). I am even more impressed that you're doing it while working full-time! That is NOT easy. Total high fives to you!

Yeah, wow, that is a long time. My wife stopped after 3 months and we switched to formula, though solids came pretty soon after that (he is/was huge and eats like it).

currently cutting

don't panic!

I nursed both my kids for about a year and they self weaned. About the immunization thing. My dad has lived all over the world and been a doctor all over the world and has had typhoid, malaria, small pox, diptheria....almost died a number of times. There is no way I would not have immunized my kids and that was one of the toughest things when I was blogging real food that everyone believes immunizations are bad. My sister's youngest daughter though was born with an immune defficiency and no matter how many times they immunized her she did not develop antibodies. In our area, a lot of folks choose not to immunize and so it was very dangerous for her to even go to school! After 6 years of transdermal immuneglobuline treatments she finally has some antibodies and can get shots....a week after her approval the school board contacted her parents and said, if she doesn't get them ALL this week she cant come to school...come ON....LOL her lawyer dad solved that, but seriously, its either one thing or another...don't go both ways~!

but we digress......

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

One thing to consider: as often as not grain products tend to be used as substrates, usually not for their own flavor, but partly for texture and partly for their utility value in holding things, or absorbing sauces and thereby taking on flavors. What does this mean? Well, for one it means that the "guts" of your sandwich, or the sauce you put on your pasta is(in terms of health impact) as critical as the bread/pasta itself.

Just one more piece to add to this debate. More often than not it's not the grains themselves that are the main problem, but rather things like the added sugar in the cereal, the jelly on that sandwich, or any of the various unhealthy sauces that are frequently put over pasta.

Me, I was never a big sandwich/bread person anyways, so I didn't really miss it. I still eat rice at times(I eat closer to what might be termed Archevore as opposed to strict paleo). I do like(and sometimes miss) pasta, but I do okay with various cooked veggies to act as substrates for sauces.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison