What To Grab For Quick Meals?

Istra

Hey guys! So I'm working toward losing 10 lbs this challenge period, and being down to 200 lbs by New Years 2013 (That's 40 lbs total!)

I learned this week that unless I actually prepare a meal, I will continue to snack FOREVER. Obviously not ideal. But I don't always have time to PREPARE a meal (that's what happened last week, which is why I learned that lesson!), and I need some way to guard that flank of weakness.

Is there something you can have on hand that's quick and easy to grab? I'm vegetarian currently (trying it for Lent, but I REALLY like it ...), and I have NO FREEZER SPACE. (The unit that came with our apartment is ... pathetic.)

Sooooooooooo ... any ideas? This morning I ended up with a banana and a dutch bros. chai. Not very pleased, but it's better than snacking for 4 hours on chips and chex mix. :3

As an in-between step, between going all out making your own stuff, figuring out what works for you, a good solution is protein bars.

There are lots and lots of brands of these things, some are better than others, some are more expensive than others, but they can be found for under $1 each if you look for sales and stock up when you see them.

There are little ones and big ones, and they vary on protein count. I also include the zone diet stuff with these since they haver pretty high protein. One of the granola bar brands just started making high protein granola bars, I haven't checked them out, but they are cheap.

These things completely kill a snack attack. Unlike say pickels, which kill a snack attack as well with virtually no calories, they have calories but a high amount of protein and are usually heavily fortified with vitamins/minerals. That whole saying with Snickers, that they satisfy hunger, Snickers don't, but actual protein bars do.

Pickels are good for killing a snack attack, but in a different way. They don't really take away hunger, but they do kill a sweet tooth pretty strongly. Pickels are the most guilt free snack on the planet, a whole jar of the big ones has A LOT less calories than a teaspoon of olive oil.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

We always keep a few hard boiled eggs (still in the shell to keep the freshness) in the fridge, great for a quick snack before heading out of the house.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

I agree with Waldo on the protein bars. I usually get a big box of them shipped to me every two months or so, lots of different kinds from a site that does discounts when I buy 3 or 4 of each kind. That way I can be sure I have a bunch of different flavors, serving sizes, etc. I default to Promax bars for breakfast nowadays, and Weider does these little "body shaper" bars that are SO TASTY, great snack, satisfies my candybar cravings and still gives me a protein boost.

Other than that, I'd say go for packing meals in advance. I try to keep a couple tupperwares in the fridge packed with veggies, hard boiled eggs, etc. So I can just stick them in my bag on the way out, have them for lunch, and most of the time I can eat it with my fingers if I really need to.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

I learned this week that unless I actually prepare a meal, I will continue to snack FOREVER. Obviously not ideal. But I don't always have time to PREPARE a meal (that's what happened last week, which is why I learned that lesson!), and I need some way to guard that flank of weakness.

Not super easy, but whenever you do make a meal, always make extra. If I'm going to take the time to roast vegetables, or make something like a rice bowl, I always make enough to, at least, take to work for lunch the next day. I even pack it up in a container with as much as I need so I can just quickly grab it in the morning. At least 3 days a week my lunch is leftovers from the night before.

Cooking extra is excellent! I try to have at least some soup in the fridge at all times (lentil soup currently). Also, beans and rice is definitely quick. Throw in a fresh vegetable (you can pre-cut them once a week and keep them in the fridge in containers, no need freezing) and you have a very decent meal.

I try to prepare my oatmeal in the evening, then microwave it for two minutes in the morning. About the time it takes to put my clothes on :)

One word: Crockpot.

Or maybe

Two words: Slow cooker.

Seriously. I throw a bunch of veggies, some meat, and a sauce in there, and let it go on low for 6-10 hours (depending on the meat). Sometimes I add cheese, sometimes I skip the meat. But the basic idea is always the same. Once it's done cooking, I divide the contents into separate single-serve containers and stack 'em in the fridge. Each batch makes about 5-7 meals. I make a batch every three or four days, so I always have two different meals available to grab and go. Those are my go-to lunches and dinners. For breakfast, I bake a bunch of sweet potatoes, stick them in the fridge, and then grab one (or half of one if they're huge), heat it up and serve with almond butter.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

When I was living on my own for the first time, I hated cooking dinner and having so much leftover, but now, I do it on purpose. I have also prepared some lunches on Sunday while I am doing my household chores. If I grill outside, I always prepare enough for an army so that I will have something yummy awaiting me when I need it for lunch. Now, however, I am at the mercy of my university's cafeteria which I usually stick to the soups and vegetarian area. During the summer time, I have my fridge packed and labeled (oh dear, showing my OCD) with masking tape that tells me when I made it, when I should throw it away, and what exactly is in there. That way, I will won't have to worry if the tuperware in the back of the fridge is something from a month ago. Don't shy away from overcooking. Veggies are so easy to do that with.

Also, does your work have a fridge? I always kept some greek yogurt, raw veggies, water, and berries in the one at my veterinary hospital. They would always laugh at me when I walked through the patient area snacking away on raw snap peas. Man, I miss those days.

One of the greatest discoveries man makes, one of the greatest surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do. -- Henry Ford

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Battle Chronicles of Sacculina

Sacculina's Wordpress

I make my own trail mix (almonds & other nuts, dried cranberries, dried strawberries, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds) and have that as a small snack. I know one's not supposed to go nuts on nuts (HA!) but a small amount satisfies me, and the little bit of sweetness from the dried fruit lulls the craving for more naughty snacks.

STR 5.25 | DEX 3.75 | CON 5.75 | END 3.5 | WIS 6 | CHA 5.5

Speaking of portable snacks and hardboild eggs, have you guys seen that newfangled gadget that does them in these dohickies without the shells? I'm highly tempted to get one just for the ease of not having to peel my eggs. (Linkage: https://www.geteggiestv.com/)

Speaking of eggs in general, and the fact that Easter is arriving and eggs seem to be seriously cheap, has anyone ever tried freezing them? (http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-facts/eggcyclopedia/f/freezing-eggs)

STR 5 * DEX 5.5 * STA 12.5 * CON 7.75 * WIS 7.75 * CHA 3

My Fitness Pal

I only ask because I need all the friends I can get.... and we also need to have a meet-up sometime this year!

I am in the Eugene area. :3 HIPPIE-VILLE! Or, TRACKTOWN USA! Or, LAND OF THE CRAZIES. (<- my personal favorite).

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas, guys! I really appreciate this. Something I've learned about myself the past couple years, is there's some things I will or will not do, if the opportunity arises, so I have to make sure the opportunities AREN'T THERE. Heh. (Like eating ALL THE CHOCOLATE! MWAHAHA!... Ahem.)

This is really helpful. <3

I am in the Eugene area. :3 HIPPIE-VILLE! Or, TRACKTOWN USA! Or, LAND OF THE CRAZIES. (<- my personal favorite).

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas, guys! I really appreciate this. Something I've learned about myself the past couple years, is there's some things I will or will not do, if the opportunity arises, so I have to make sure the opportunities AREN'T THERE. Heh. (Like eating ALL THE CHOCOLATE! MWAHAHA!... Ahem.)

This is really helpful. <3

Nice! I was just in Eugene a few weeks ago for a fisheries conference. :) Didn't get to spend a lot of time there, but it seems like a cool place.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Wait - FISHERIES conference? Are you in fishery ... type related work? MY BEST FRIEND WANTS TO DO THAT. CAN I TELL HIM ABOUT YOU!!!! D=

Also, yes. It is a cool place. Odd, but cool.

(... I obviously know nothing about fishery type things. I'm a music major type person myself. But HE likes it!)

Wait - FISHERIES conference? Are you in fishery ... type related work? MY BEST FRIEND WANTS TO DO THAT. CAN I TELL HIM ABOUT YOU!!!! D=

Also, yes. It is a cool place. Odd, but cool.

(... I obviously know nothing about fishery type things. I'm a music major type person myself. But HE likes it!)

Hahaha, I suppose you could... but I don't know how that would help him :P And yes, I do work in fisheries-type stuff.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Pickels are good for killing a snack attack, but in a different way. They don't really take away hunger, but they do kill a sweet tooth pretty strongly. Pickels are the most guilt free snack on the planet, a whole jar of the big ones has A LOT less calories than a teaspoon of olive oil.

Woah, really? I had no idea. In the summer, when I was younger, I used to munch on big, fat kosher dills while reading. Who knew I was enjoying a guilt-free snack at the same time? I may have to buy myself a jar of pickles on my way home tonight.

---

If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done. ~Thomas Jefferson

Woah, really? I had no idea. In the summer, when I was younger, I used to munch on big, fat kosher dills while reading. Who knew I was enjoying a guilt-free snack at the same time? I may have to buy myself a jar of pickles on my way home tonight.

Yeah. Think about it, pickles are just cucumbers in salt water. A whole jar is maybe 50 calories.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Orc Ranger

Str: 7, Dex: 2, Sta: 7, Con 4, Wis: 1, Cha: 3