Out of the box and into the wild.

Greetings All,

Since college graduation 10 years ago I have steadily become more lazy and larger adding 35lbs and 4" to my waistline. It has been bothering me for a while and has included in a few failed attempts at joining a gym. It never held my interest and got boring FAST!

As a way to motivate myself as I was stretching out my latest new bigger pants only a few months after buying them around the holidays I registered for the 5K run that is part with the Pittsburgh Marathon weekend.

I failed to do any real training over the winter and now I'm 7 weeks out to the 5k and I've only been running outside for a week.

However I love being outside. I actually want to go running in the park (North Park specifically for the Yinzers out there). I've also signed up for a season of Kayak rental Through Venture Outdoors/Kayak Pittsburgh and plan on hitting the local hiking trails.

My biggest gripe at the gym was mostly running/biking/or other cardio equipment and not really going anywhere. I'm still keeping the membership as after the 5k I want to take a hard look at getting a good free weight routine in and not the weight machine routine I had before.

Squire Of Pitt

Welcome and way to go nature-like! I agree that being outside is definitely more fun than being in the gym, but I have yet to find the good places to go in Portland... and it also rains here a lot, so I use that as an excuse often. Kayaking is way fun though! I'm jealous. If you're enjoying running outside, I'm sure you'll be able to train up for the 5K, no problem. And even if you can't run the whole thing, there's no shame in that. It'll just add more fuel to the fire and make you want to be faster next time!

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

A friend of mine runs marathons, she seems to get allot out it and that was part of the reason I signed up for the 5k.My goals right now are weight loss, endurance and then strength. I'm focused on this 5k for now and don't want to risk any injury by lifting. But once that is done I want to get back in the gym and to the free weight room instead of the machines as I prepare for some other 5k events if I can find any.

Squire Of Pitt

I don't know how it is there, but there are a ton of 5Ks here, so it shouldn't be a problem to find more :) I think that sounds like a great plan, but if you do get curious about lifting, just make sure you've got good form and aren't lifting too heavy and you shouldn't have to worry too much about injuring yourself. I think I want to try a sprint-distance triathlon next year if I can keep up with training and find an affordable pool to start swimming again. Like you, I have a friend (brother actually) that does triathlons... but he's a pro triathlete, so I'm not even going to TRY to compare :P

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

A friend of mine runs marathons, she seems to get allot out it and that was part of the reason I signed up for the 5k.My goals right now are weight loss, endurance and then strength. I'm focused on this 5k for now and don't want to risk any injury by lifting. But once that is done I want to get back in the gym and to the free weight room instead of the machines as I prepare for some other 5k events if I can find any.

Squire Of Pitt

Welcome! I'm assuming you live somewhere north of Pittsburgh? A 5K is a great first goal.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

Hey Squire, welcome aboard. I think I already replied to a message by you in the Runner's Guild regarding your 5k. Sorry, I got kind of carried away with my reply. I tend to ramble on at times. I think it is totally doable for you to train yourself to complete a 5k in 7 weeks. Just set that as a goal and keep to it. Don't push too hard too early come game day and wear yourself out halfway. That can happen if you pay attention to the other runners and try to keep up. Running is very much an individual art.

"If you think we can't change the world, it just means you're not one of those that will." -Jacque Fresco