Cataleya's 2017 Roadmap

2016 was rough for all of us. My partner lost his grandfather, which sparked an existential crisis for me, complete with death anxiety. I stumbled around on my dissertation, I struggled with my weight, fitness, and all around health... It was rough. So even though I'm not much of a New Year's resolution type, I figured I'd make a roadmap for this year so I can focus my goals on those things I find most important in my life. Some of these, well, I'm aiming high. I don't know how else to aim.

LIFE

Finish my dissertation. If I can do this, I'll have that PhD I've been working on since 2011. Ugh, it feels so long ago. I don't know what I will do afterward as a celebration, but hopefully it's a good one.

Get a job post-graduation. Preferably, a tenure-track position, but I am flexible. So long as I feel comfortable in my job, I will feel accomplished.
Manage stress. Try to get a massage at least once every two months. Meditate. Take a bath. Enjoy life. We only have one (that we know of).

Become more fluent in German. While I am German, I'm not necessarily as fluent in it as I'd like to be. I don't really have a lot of people to practice with. So I'm going to work up so I feel comfortable enough to have conversations with my Oma and German cousins.

HEALTH

Get down to 160lbs. I don't have a specific reason for this particular weight other than it's less than what I weigh now (mid-190s). It's not as important as my fitness goals, but it gives me a solid number to aim for, and one way (of many) to know if I'm on the right track. Plus, my doctor will complain less.

Defeat the Sugar Beast. I have a bad issue with sugar. I need to cut down on it. I want to get to a point where I don't feel like I need dessert, and where I can control myself in social situations (aka not stuff myself on sweets when someone brings them in).

Stay off soda. I'm going into 2017 clean. I want to leave 2017 clean. No soda. I will make an exception for trying a new flavor or something (say we end up at a weird food place or something, I will try it for the sake of being able to say, "I have tried [x]."), but I don't want to get back on this train. It only ends in tears.

FITNESS

Average 5 miles a day. According to my Fitbit records, I traveled 1543.19 miles in 2016, for an average of 4.22 miles a day. My hope for this year is that I can average at least five miles a day for this year.

Be able to do a sprint triathlon. For those who don't know, that's 0.5mi (750m) swim, 12.4mi (20km) bike, 3.1mi (5km) run). I dunno if I will actually do an official one, given my limited funds, but being able to do the distances together is a goal for the year.

Get bent. I want to be able to do the splits!

Do you even lift? Let's work up to being able to do the following:

• Bench press my weight

• Deadlift my weight

• Do an unassisted pull up

• Do an unassisted dip

• Five minute plank

HOBBIES

Read 20 books this year. This is a pretty constant goal I have. It's a nice, relaxing activity. 

Travel. Go to five new places this year.

Play on. Complete five video games this year.

I realize I won't get to all of these this year, but this gives me something I can focus on. I hope all of us get to where we'd like to go.

• Like 10

GO CAT!!!  You have great goals for 2017!!

I like your soda idea, just to try it once in a while.  I don't do soda except when we're at a restaurant with one of those crazy 500-flavor Coke machines... I'll have a soda there because once in a while is fine, but by the time I'm done I usually find that one is more than enough for me now! I like how our tastes change~ :)

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

I like your goals for 2017. Some are similar to what i want to do in 2017.

I have the same Hobby goals, some higher and some lower. And as for life i also have the goal to speak better German. I'm not German, im just your good old neighbor to the west (Netherlands) but with my brother working/living in Germany it would be great to be able to speak german better when im there.

Maybe in the future (if we get a good friendly connection through NF) we can meet so we can both check our German :) 

Gonna make a Epic Quest & new Challenge post this week. If you want i can send you a link. ;) 

• Like 1

What a great goals for 2017! I love this!!

I may.... tumblr_ly7kzuvMQt1r4ibh3.jpg steal this Road Map idea...

• Like 1

2018 ~ Trophy Guide and Roadmap.

2016 Journey: June | July failed | August failed | October respawn/failed

2017 Adventure: January respawn | February | March | April/May | June | July | Horizon 2017 Dawn year recap
Quest: January respawn | February | May

What do we say to the god of procrastination? "Not today."

Love this and totally stealing it! Hope you don't mind ;)

• Like 1

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

So how did I do?

LIFE

Finish my dissertation. DONE

Get a job post-graduation. DONE. Tenure track too!
Manage stress. I did not do this, but I am set up to get a massage every month starting in January. Super excited!

Become more fluent in German. I don't know if I accomplished this, but I did continue to use and read it, and I listened to more German radio than before.

HEALTH

Get down to 160lbs. I did not accomplish this. I did manage to get down to 178lbs at one point, but I gained it back. Now that I'm done with grad school, I hope 2018 goes better.

Defeat the Sugar Beast. Still working on this.

Stay off soda. I did get back on, but I'm back off again.

FITNESS

Average 5 miles a day. According to my Fitbit records, I traveled 1543.19 miles in 2016, for an average of 4.22 miles a day. My hope for this year is that I can average at least five miles a day for this year.

Be able to do a sprint triathlon. Nope.

Get bent. Nope.

Do you even lift? Nope.

HOBBIES

Read 20 books this year. I've still got time, and I think I'm going to manage this.

Travel. I went to some places, but maybe not five. Canada was one!

Play on. I don't think I did this, but I did enjoy FFXIV a bunch.

There were a lot of big and sometimes unexpected events in the past year, like my dissertation having some stupid delays, my grandmother passing away, a huge move, and getting a new job. I'm hoping I can take the lessons I learned in the past year and apply them to 2018. Onward and upward! Stay tuned for the 2018 roadmap.

• Like 3
Any luck finding a fitness program that you find interesting/exciting? 
In terms of lifting? Sadly no. Right now I'm doing the NF bodyweight exercise routine, very slowly lol. Since I have a legit apartment now I might try to find a pullup bar and add that in. Trying to take things one step at a time.

As far as cardio, I do running twice a week, three times if tennis isn't on. I play tennis once a week while league is going. It just ended this week for the rest of the year, so I'm switching to running 3x a week on the C25K program.
  • Like 2
On 22-12-2017 at 6:20 PM, Cataleya said:

Since I have a legit apartment now I might try to find a pullup bar and add that in.

Oh thats nice, i also have a apartment and i have one extra room where only stood a washing machine. So i put a pull-up/dip station there. Since then i do only bodyweight exercises. This week i got 2 kettlebells and i'm going to start a kettlebell program and later one combine it with bodyweight.

• Like 1