Xena

Xena embraces minimalism

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

So sad you missed whataburger.

Me too.

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Not sore? That's incredible. This would be me:

41dd508637aca72086267b6857acc304.jpg

Realizing I perhaps spoke too soon. Underestimated the D in DOMS. But still doing remarkably well.

• Like 10

Good Job, Xena!

Be kind to you. Post-race free massage? That sounds amazing!

---

"Travel lightly, for what you bring with you becomes part of your landscape." -Anne Bishop

5 hours ago, Xena said:

Realizing I perhaps spoke too soon. Underestimated the D in DOMS. But still doing remarkably well.

Always fun when you think you have escaped them and they sneak up on you! Well done on finishing the marathon!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, peelout said:

Xena, great job running a marathon.  26mi is beyond my comprehension.

I'm with you on that. I can't imagine how sore my body would be after 26 miles.

Awesome job, Xena! I've got mad props for anyone who takes on those kind of distances.

• Like 1

@ doctorake that is one of the CRAZIEST things I've ever seen!!! I was confused by the gear at first. Then confused by the teams/tethers. Then looked up the website and saw that the race covers 26 islands over 75 km. And it's cold. Crazy! Holy cow, Scandinavians are freaking tough!

(Back ~15 years, I did a fair number of openwater swims, and run-swim was my favorite, but we just had regular road runs followed by open water swim. Nothing like that awesomeness)

-----------

I am now appropriately humbled. I jogged 3 miles today, did my pushups, went to the gym and did some tracking. My shoulder was fine today. If it isn't sore tomorrow I'll be encouraged. I mostly did core work, and I was a complete trainwreck at it. Guess my body is just kind of wiped out.

• Like 11

Finally getting caught up on all the awesomeness in your thread!

Congratulations on the weight loss and the marathon, plus kudos on your workouts. Your long term goal of an epic Scandinavian X-country ski adventure sounds great. DJtrippyT's link makes the whole idea seem pretty magical!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Xena said:

@ doctorake that is one of the CRAZIEST things I've ever seen!!! I was confused by the gear at first. Then confused by the teams/tethers. Then looked up the website and saw that the race covers 26 islands over 75 km. And it's cold. Crazy! Holy cow, Scandinavians are freaking tough!

(Back ~15 years, I did a fair number of openwater swims, and run-swim was my favorite, but we just had regular road runs followed by open water swim. Nothing like that awesomeness)

-----------

I am now appropriately humbled. I jogged 3 miles today, did my pushups, went to the gym and did some tracking. My shoulder was fine today. If it isn't sore tomorrow I'll be encouraged. I mostly did core work, and I was a complete trainwreck at it. Guess my body is just kind of wiped out.

Marathons are a big deal, it's ok to need some recovery time afterward.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Marathons are a big deal, it's ok to need some recovery time afterward.

True that. It was just funny to observe in practice.

Today was good. I didn't really do much of anything (planned rest), but my shoulder feels fine, so I can do more pushups tomorrow.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Your challenge thread is tagged "cats". I sense a distinct lack of cats

Minimalist challenge. Just too minimal on the cats. Thanks!

https://portraitsofanimals.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/031312-kellynapping.jpg

Today was pretty great. Yesterday was a planned rest day and it just felt kind of weird. Today I went for an easy 3 miles on trails and really looked forward to it. Some gym after work, including 15 pushups. If shoulder not sore tomorrow I'll do 20-25 on Saturday.

I've been tracking food but lost my little notebook and had to switch to another. Whoever finds is is going to have some fascinating reading...yogurt, toast, coffee, blah blah blah....Keep thinking it has to turn up somewhere. Really hope so b/c it had a super useful list of things I eat frequently (not yogurt, toast or coffee...got those memorized).

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Xena said:

Today was pretty great. Yesterday was a planned rest day and it just felt kind of weird. 

It's great when exercise reaches the consistency level that the brain automatically expects you to follow a routine and when you don't, it seems weird. It becomes like brushing your teeth.  If you skipped it, the brain would keep reminding you.  Great job.

• Like 5

Way to go on the marathon, that is super exciting that you accomplished that! Also, the food sounds delish. 

Hope the shoulder is doing ok. Are you feeling pain during the pushups or just after? Is it perisistent, like an ache, or sharp when you move it certain ways (does it hurt when you raise your arm above 90 degrees)? 

Congrats on hitting your goal weight. I love how you put down 'finished the marathon' as if it's a minor effort/detail.

Since it looks like you are trying to do a marathon in every state...have you already hit Indiana/Ohio/Kentucky? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2017 at 3:54 AM, jonfirestar said:

Rest days are weird?

I know they are important, but marathon training takes up a lot of time and after the marathon you need to rest and sort of have all this random time...

On 1/20/2017 at 9:17 AM, Fonzico said:

You can borrow my cat, if you want.

Your lost food log should make for fascinating study for future anthropologists emoji14.png

Thanks for the loaner cat!

I agree about the food log. Fortunately I found it on my desk under some papers. I had no idea I was so addicted to that thing.

On 1/20/2017 at 10:05 AM, x Valkyrie x said:

Hope the shoulder is doing ok. Are you feeling pain during the pushups or just after? Is it perisistent, like an ache, or sharp when you move it certain ways (does it hurt when you raise your arm above 90 degrees)? 

It was hurting several hours later or the next day (never during). It was more like an ache in a small area on the inside of my shoulder. Felt like maybe some kind of tendonitis?? But the good thing is that after scaling back, I haven't felt it. Still don't know if the pushups were the culprit, but as long as it goes away and doesn't come back, I don't care.

20 pushups today...if no pain, I'll do 25 or 30 on Monday. I feel like I may have been too conservative in the way I cut back, but it was a safe decision.

On 1/20/2017 at 1:22 PM, Hiroro said:

Congrats on hitting your goal weight. I love how you put down 'finished the marathon' as if it's a minor effort/detail.

Since it looks like you are trying to do a marathon in every state...have you already hit Indiana/Ohio/Kentucky? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

And NO, I haven't done ANY of those YET! Wanna do one with me?  We could pick a race that also has a half if you don't want to do another full marathon. I would be totally up for it. I would lean slightly toward Indiana or Kentucky but any would be great.

----------------

Today was good...getting ready for more travel (Alaska for a few days for a conference). Got in a shortish run, gym, pushups, tracking all the normal stuff. In case I don't get around to posting a Week 1 update, everything is going fine. The only goal I'm behind on is the pushup goal, because I've intentionally scaled it back.

• Like 8

On 1/21/2017 at 8:41 PM, Xena said:

And NO, I haven't done ANY of those YET! Wanna do one with me?  We could pick a race that also has a half if you don't want to do another full marathon. I would be totally up for it. I would lean slightly toward Indiana or Kentucky but any would be great.

----------------

Today was good...getting ready for more travel (Alaska for a few days for a conference). Got in a shortish run, gym, pushups, tracking all the normal stuff. In case I don't get around to posting a Week 1 update, everything is going fine. The only goal I'm behind on is the pushup goal, because I've intentionally scaled it back.

Bahahahahah maybe, if by 'with' you mean meet up before or after because I certainly would not run at your pace. I did the Indy Monumental (November) and that seems to be the big Indiana once, but there are a bunch more. Kentucky - the Derby Festival Marathon is in April, the Horse Capital is in May, Bowling Green in November, Backside Trail in April, Otter Creek Trail in December. All of those have shorter distances :) I think Run the Bluegrass is popular but it's only a half. In Ohio the Flying Pig (May) and the Nationwide (October) are pretty big, I think Cleveland has one too.

Do you get free time in Alaska to explore/do fun things?

• Like 1

On 1/21/2017 at 7:41 PM, Xena said:

I had no idea I was so addicted to that thing.

That happens, doesn't it?

On 1/21/2017 at 7:41 PM, Xena said:

I feel like I may have been too conservative in the way I cut back, but it was a safe decision.

When dealing with injuries, if you're going to make a mistake, being too conservative is the better way to go as opposed to not conservative enough and causing further injury.

Have a great time in Alaska!

• Like 3

On 1/23/2017 at 10:41 AM, Hiroro said:

Bahahahahah maybe, if by 'with' you mean meet up before or after because I certainly would not run at your pace. I did the Indy Monumental (November) and that seems to be the big Indiana once, but there are a bunch more. Kentucky - the Derby Festival Marathon is in April, the Horse Capital is in May, Bowling Green in November, Backside Trail in April, Otter Creek Trail in December. All of those have shorter distances :) I think Run the Bluegrass is popular but it's only a half. In Ohio the Flying Pig (May) and the Nationwide (October) are pretty big, I think Cleveland has one too.

Do you get free time in Alaska to explore/do fun things?

I'm vaguely thinking I would like to do the Derby festival, but probably not till 2018. I'll read up about it a little more. My plans are a little up in the air for this fall. I'm hoping to get into to a trail ultra in October, but I'm on the waiting list. Trying to decide how much to trust in the waiting list and when to come up with a backup plan.

Not too much free time in Alaska. Free time to go out for a beer with friends, but not really to go exploring. I've just been exercising in the hotel gym, but might try the outdoor (snowy!) trail tomorrow of Thursday. Depends if it rains...I'm not really up for that.

On 1/23/2017 at 1:54 PM, jstanlick said:

When dealing with injuries, if you're going to make a mistake, being too conservative is the better way to go as opposed to not conservative enough and causing further injury.

Very true.

22 hours ago, peelout said:

While you are there, keep an eye on Russia.  You can see it from parts of Alaska, fur shoor. lol

I can see it from my yard/hotel room.

• Like 6

Travel so far ok. Worked out yesterday and today as planned. Ate too much yesterday, but not ridiculously. Today at too much at lunch, but I think my body is kind of thrown off from the jet lag. I'll try to get salad or something light for dinner.

• Like 5