• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena embraces minimalism

Recommended Posts

Week 3 recap

 

I was in Alaska for most of the week. I did pretty well for exercise...couple treadmill runs, snowy trail run, and then nice runs the past two days back home. I did minimal-ish strength training (counts as two times, but not as intense as what I would normally do back in the gym). Back up to 30 pushups per session, but only doing them every other day. Think I can increase this a little next week.

 

It wasn't a great week food-and-drinkwise. I think a couple things were going on. One that I hadn't thought of before was that the time difference threw off my body clock. Was crazy crazy hungry the second day. That is a pretty legit physiological thing. I think I could do better if I plan for that next time. ...I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Israel, so I get another chance almost immediately.

 

Challenge by the numbers

1. Run 3x per week.  4 times this week for a total of 22 miles. On track here.

2. 20 days of pushups. Had to scale this goal back. Managed 3x this week, for a total of 7 this challenge. Should get 4 or 5 next week.

3. 8 days of strength training. Yep, 2 this week for a total of 6 so far. Packed some resistance bands for the trip, so I can try something different. I feel like I'm losing a little ground here, but I'll be able to get back to normal after this trip.

4. 20 days of tracking. 4 this week for a total of 16. This week all days tracked were over goal, but I think it would have been even worse otherwise.

 

Not a very exciting week challenge-wise, but about as planned.

My high point was a really strong run Friday night.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Xena said:

.I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Israel, so I get another chance almost immediately.

As if I wasn't already jealous enough! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/1/2017 at 4:56 AM, Xena said:

snowy trail run

Am I the only one who didn't miss this little piece of Xena epicness?

 

On 29/1/2017 at 4:56 AM, Xena said:

I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Israel

I dare you to try out a Krav Maga class while you're there B)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2017 at 8:56 PM, Xena said:

I was in Alaska for most of the week. I did pretty well for exercise...couple treadmill runs, snowy trail run, and then nice runs the past two days back home. I did minimal-ish strength training (counts as two times, but not as intense as what I would normally do back in the gym). Back up to 30 pushups per session, but only doing them every other day. Think I can increase this a little next week.

 

It wasn't a great week food-and-drinkwise. I think a couple things were going on. One that I hadn't thought of before was that the time difference threw off my body clock. Was crazy crazy hungry the second day. That is a pretty legit physiological thing. I think I could do better if I plan for that next time. ...I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Israel, so I get another chance almost immediately.

That is a lot of traveling and a lot of modesty. Let's see, you went across the country, to not only a vastly different time zone (for some reason going west always messes up my body clock more than going east) but a different latitude. So, not only is the time of day different, the amount of daylight is different. All of that is going to mess with your body clock, yet you managed 5 runs (one a snowy trail run in Alaska -- how cool is that) and 2 strength training sessions, and you've increased your pushups per session. Oh, and you needed to turn around and start getting ready for an even longer trip to an even more different climate. It may not have been a great week compared to what you accomplish without that stuff going on, but you did have that stuff going on and I think you're doing a pretty kick ass job myself.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2017 at 5:26 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

I dare you to try out a Krav Maga class while you're there B)

 

I didn't get to do that, but I did ask some of my hosts about it (which had the extra bonus that I now know how to pronounce it). Based on my small sample set (asking two 40ish women about it), it's popular at least at a casual level. The kind of thing people are happy to have their daughters learn a little bit about for self defense. I know of course there are lots of serious practitioners. Apparently judo is also really popular here too (one of the women thought I was talking about judo at first).

 

I've spend some time running on the trails through the parks and specifically thought you would like it here. There are tons of little public fitness parts and lots of crossfit-like activities going on. Tons of guys doing muscle-ups and gymnastic moves on the bars. One of the parks had a special rack where you could hook up your own TRX equipment. So cool!

 

On 1/30/2017 at 11:12 AM, jstanlick said:

That is a lot of traveling and a lot of modesty. Let's see, you went across the country, to not only a vastly different time zone (for some reason going west always messes up my body clock more than going east) but a different latitude. So, not only is the time of day different, the amount of daylight is different. All of that is going to mess with your body clock, yet you managed 5 runs (one a snowy trail run in Alaska -- how cool is that) and 2 strength training sessions, and you've increased your pushups per session. Oh, and you needed to turn around and start getting ready for an even longer trip to an even more different climate. It may not have been a great week compared to what you accomplish without that stuff going on, but you did have that stuff going on and I think you're doing a pretty kick ass job myself.

 

Awww! Thanks. The travel is throwing me for a loop. If it were an ongoing thing I would have to figure out a better system, but it's not such a big deal to take a little break.

 

On 1/30/2017 at 10:50 PM, peelout said:

Can you say anything about what you do for a living?  Tons of travel.

Sure...I don't talk about it too much on the forum, but I'm a marine scientist. Mostly research and a little teaching. Sometimes lots of travel, sometimes not so much. This month was unusual.

 

Kind of an informal check-in

I'll work on posting a few pictures later...

Israel has been mostly a work trip, but my hosts have been really fantastic and I've gotten to see and do some really interesting things. I've been staying in Tel Aviv....and I have to say, I had no idea what a cool city it is! Highly recommended. I wish I had 2-3 more days to look around. I got to go scuba diving in Eilat and spent a day hiking on the way back to Tel Aviv. It was really really nice of them to arrange the diving for me, but it was pretty cold and we weren't diving in the most exciting place. On the other hand, the hiking was FANTASTIC. We didn't do anything particularly epic, but wow, what beautiful canyons and desert scenery. Amazing!

 

My friend also arranged a ticket for me to go to some kind of modern dance show yesterday. I enjoy modern dance, but I gotta say, I was completely lost with this performance. There was a lot of spoken word (poetry I think....it seemed to rhyme) along with the dancing, but I have NO idea what the message or even the tone was**. It was interesting to watch, but I feel victim to the jet lag and nodded off a little.

 

** I don't speak any Hebrew. I learned the Hebrew word for "ibex" ("yael") while hiking, but that didn't help me too much with the modern dance interpretation.

 

Challenge-wise....not great but honestly about as expected. Got in 3 runs so far: 6 miles with my friend totally kicking my a**, a more gentle 5 miles on my own, and 11 miles today. Today I felt like I easily could have gone another hour or more, but I wasn't carrying water (there were some fountains). Haven't done anything else on my challenge...jetlag, travel, and a freaking cold hotel room. I finally figured out that the heat doesn't come on until I get into the room and put my card in the slot. Have been sitting in bed for a couple hours with all my clothes and coat. Couldn't face the thought of getting down on the cold tile floor to do some pushups. It's an excuse, but I'll get back to normal next week.

 

Food here is very tasty, but different from what I'm used to. Lots of vegetarian food, so my macro balance has been different. Between that and jetlag, I'm hungry at unpredictable times and have been eating a lot of pastry and stuff. If I was staying longer, I would sort it out. As is, I'm just enjoying it and will get back on track next week.

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2s159jp.jpg

 

30ixnqu.jpg

358cidf.jpg

 

^^^ 3 pics from Israel and one below from Alaska. I took it during my little trail run. I did take a selfie and almost posted it, but I just couldn't do it. It is a freaking unflattering picture, and a girl can have a little pride ;-)

 

2aajbyc.jpg

 

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, peelout said:

If you ever need a hydraulic engineer on your trips, call me.  I could carry bags, gear, whatever.  I'm pretty envious of the scenery.

Or, you know, a theologian to carry...questions. I dunno, I'm good at lifting heavy objects too.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, peelout said:

If you ever need a hydraulic engineer on your trips, call me.  I could carry bags, gear, whatever.  I'm pretty envious of the scenery.

 

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Or, you know, a theologian to carry...questions. I dunno, I'm good at lifting heavy objects too.

 

Seems like the start of a pretty good crew!

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you twist your ankle, I can help you rehab it...so you should bring me on your next Israel hike. You never know when you might twist your ankle! Seriously though, what wonderful experiences you've had this week! Maybe it hasn't been Challenge-Ideal, but I think you've been true to the spirit of NF: Going boldly into the world to live a full and healthy life, able to do the things you want to do without injury, and to explore your environment with all of your senses. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm not really good for much unless you need someone nagged about doing homework, but this sounds like a Hell of a crew.

Hell of a crew indeed. And would be even better with a penguin sled (perhaps more useful in Alaska, but might be adapted for sand dunes).

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a more relative note, I'm in the neighborhood and my job deals with Research Policies, including bilateral deals with Israel (also trilateral including Cyprus). Thought I might come in handy besides the suitcase lifting B)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a terrific Ranger challenge! Travel to three very different parts of the world. You did runs and workouts, ate local food and still hit your weight goal. Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2017 at 9:50 AM, DJtrippyT said:

awesome pics! I'm quite jealous.

 

I keep thinking about that Arctic resort link you posted. It's totally stuck in my head now :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2017 at 3:03 PM, Xena said:

Seems like the start of a pretty good crew!

 

This has got to be the most humble and bizarre of beginnings for any adventuring party everposter,210x230,f8f8f8-pad,210x230,f8f8f8

 

Article_SwordCoastAdventurerersGuide_Sub

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

 

This has got to be the most humble and bizarre of beginnings for any adventuring party everposter,210x230,f8f8f8-pad,210x230,f8f8f8

 

Article_SwordCoastAdventurerersGuide_Sub

 

LOVE this, but you're on my 2017 thread! Guessing I need to update my signature ;-)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now