• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena embraces minimalism

13 hours ago, Xena said:

Also got in a run yesterday, and a couple miles on the treadmill today. AND used the awesome hotel gym. They have a heavy bag and I borrowed gloves from the front desk. Never done that before. SOOOO fun!!

What hotel has a heavy bag?  Never seen that before. 

• Like 1

oh yum I love New Orleans! the architecture and the food and the music and the food, and the beignets, which are also food, but deserve their own category...

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that. It is absolutely undrinkable, to me.

7 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm not sure we mean the same thing when we use the word "good."

Hmph. I'll have you know, coffee should be milk with hints of java, and zero dark flavor, sometimes with sugar accents. (See, I'm a connoisseur :p)

• Like 1

Following for awesomeness. Have a great time on your travels and rock your marathon!

You already have breakfast covered, so I'll share some of my favorite road trip food ideas. Granola bars (homemade or high protein) are good for general carbs. Chocolate-covered almonds take care of my chocolate cravings and give real nutrition. Fresh fruit. Beef jerky. Nut and dry fruit mix can substitute for meals on the go. When I was in grad school I lived on a mix of peanuts, almonds, cashews, dried banana chips (sweetened - the unsweetened ones taste like cardboard), dry pineapple and raisins. You can tailor it to have your favorite fruits and nuts if you have access to a store with a bulk section. I like the little crackers-with-peanut-butter or crackers-with-cheese packets you can get at grocery stores and gas stations. Not all that healthy, but you could make something of your own that was better.

Hopefully most of the time you will have access to good food and won't need to pack food for a trip through the wasteland.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Hmph. I'll have you know, coffee should be milk with hints of java, and zero dark flavor, sometimes with sugar accents. (See, I'm a connoisseur :p)

You're one of those people who goes to Starbucks to get your "coffee" and orders a strawberries and cream Frappuccino, aren't you?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Ah, I see it's not the word "good" that confounds us, but rather "coffee."

See, what you are describing is in fact "warm milk."

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

You're one of those people who goes to Starbucks to get your "coffee" and orders a strawberries and cream Frappuccino, aren't you?

Sometimes....0.o and I sometimes add chocolate chips, I mean "java chips" :P I usually order tea or a flat white, every other espresso drink of theirs is so bitter and gross!

But mostly I use my keurig with a coarse grind, it makes a nice, weak cup of coffee, i put 2 tbps of half and half and voila! 

Tank, maybe that's where the confusion is coming from! :P

• Like 2

Xena, is New Orleans where your race is at, or is this a work trip? 

I hope you take sone pictures on your next run! Running or cycling is my most favorite way to explore a new place. It's such a special feeling to go for a run in a completely new place.

• Like 1

Just now, x Valkyrie x said:

It's such a special feeling to go for a run in a completely new place.

Except for that time I was visiting Seattle and decided to go for a run. Pro-tip: if you're from the Midwest, don't run in Seattle.

• Like 4

Just now, imprimis5 said:

Except for that time I was visiting Seattle and decided to go for a run. Pro-tip: if you're from the Midwest, don't run in Seattle.

Ah, yes, the hills are rough! When I first moved to Washington, I took my bike out and almost fell off when i stalled on a mountain, I mean "hill".

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RES said:

Enjoy NOLA...My favorite city!

I've spent lots of time here in the past and do really like it! Thanks.

13 hours ago, imprimis5 said:

I am so jealous. I have yet to stay in a hotel with a gym I'm happy with, and I travel a lot.

I've stayed in this hotel before and knew it was super cool. It's kind of a hipster boutique hotel. Last time I was here (about a year ago), my flight was cancelled so I got to my meeting a day late. Instead of rushing straight there, I decided to talk a little time for myself, go to the gym, shower and then hit the meeting (I was late anyway, what's a couple extra hours). That's when I saw the heavy bag, but it wasn't my priority (I NEEDED to run), so I didn't take the time to get the gloves and try it out. I've been kicking myself for it ever since. So I was extra happy to have another chance! It's the only time I've ever seen it too.

12 hours ago, doctorake said:

Ok I am late but maybe this will help someone else. Also please no one try to burn me at the stake for this advice.

McDonalds has some decent options I feel. The fruit and yoghurt parfait is 150 calories, the egg McMuffin is 290, and the egg white delight is 250. Now I understand McDonalds is not for everyone but this is an extremely easy to find option that you know the calories will be almost exact.

Are you doing the marathon in NOLA? I did IRONMAN there last spring and I must say my post race meal at Mulate's was amazing. We were there late enough to also have some great music playing.

I'm am all for these options and would definitely do it in a pinch. I totally agree it's a way to get some reasonable calorie food with protein.

Not a marathon here. Just a work meeting. Marathon next week :-)

10 hours ago, peelout said:

What hotel has a heavy bag?  Never seen that before. 

International house. The aforementioned hipster hotel. They don't provide much in the way of food, but once you figure that out, the gy makes up for it. Plus it has an awesome bar (haven't had anything there yet this trip, but probably will have a fancy cocktail tomorrow).

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

Following for awesomeness. Have a great time on your travels and rock your marathon!

You already have breakfast covered, so I'll share some of my favorite road trip food ideas. Granola bars (homemade or high protein) are good for general carbs. Chocolate-covered almonds take care of my chocolate cravings and give real nutrition. Fresh fruit. Beef jerky. Nut and dry fruit mix can substitute for meals on the go. When I was in grad school I lived on a mix of peanuts, almonds, cashews, dried banana chips (sweetened - the unsweetened ones taste like cardboard), dry pineapple and raisins. You can tailor it to have your favorite fruits and nuts if you have access to a store with a bulk section. I like the little crackers-with-peanut-butter or crackers-with-cheese packets you can get at grocery stores and gas stations. Not all that healthy, but you could make something of your own that was better.

Hopefully most of the time you will have access to good food and won't need to pack food for a trip through the wasteland.

I brought an awesome almond-rich trail mix. It was on clearance at the grocery store fancy natural food section because it had peppermint flavored chocolate bits (leftover from Christmas). So good! I am also with you on the peanut butter cracker packets. I almost brought some.

I've made a pretty useful discovery of the grilled chicken sandwich. Sounds really really obvious. But you can get it lots of places. I've done really well a couple times this trip by getting that with no fries. Once I was able to add a salad. Burger not too bad either honestly, especially if you don't mind skipping the fries and cheese.

10 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Xena, is New Orleans where your race is at, or is this a work trip? 

I hope you take sone pictures on your next run! Running or cycling is my most favorite way to explore a new place. It's such a special feeling to go for a run in a completely new place.

Yup, so just a work trip.

I've done a lot of running here (spent several months here a while back) and honestly I'm pretty sure it's my least favorite kind of running...the urban jungle. I really DON"T LIKE running around pedestrians, closed sidewalks and other obstacles and dealing with all the millions of stoplights. Not fun to me. I'm still going to try getting in a longer run Sunday along the streetcar line (I've done this many times...about 15 years ago...should be interesting).

Today's food less good (on the calorie front), but some of it was worth it. I haven't totaled it up yet, but I'll see if I can figure it out (shudder)

Breakfast was (as we have extensively discussed) spot-on

Lunch was kind of crappy. Some gave me a pre-made box lunch. Which would have been fine, but I shouldn't have eaten the chips or the cookie. Not to be a martyr, but just because they weren't very good quality, so they weren't worth the calories. Still not sure why I ate them.

Dinner was too much. Half a dozen DELICIOUS grilled oysters that I DON"T REGRET ONE BIT. I should have gotten twice as many even though they were in butter. Fried eggplant that I shouldn't have bothered with (thought it was a reasonable-ish choice, but it wasn't that good), a glass of wine (which I regret only because it wasn't very good...the style of sauv blanc that tastes like rotten flowers to me....I need to figure out the right word to describe it so I know how to avoid it), and a praline dessert that I also should have either skipped or only eaten half of.

Will I do better tomorrow? At least a little. I'll be good at breakfast and lunch. If I have the chance to eat something really delicious at dinner I'm going to take it. I won't get another dessert, but I might share one. And I will have a fancy cocktail of some sort. It's my last night in New Orleans. I might even go back for some of those oysters. I think they were one of the best things I've ever eaten.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Sometimes....0.o and I sometimes add chocolate chips, I mean "java chips" :P I usually order tea or a flat white, every other espresso drink of theirs is so bitter and gross!

But mostly I use my keurig with a coarse grind, it makes a nice, weak cup of coffee, i put 2 tbps of half and half and voila! 

Tank, maybe that's where the confusion is coming from! :P

I read voila as vodka

• Like 4

On 07/01/2017 at 2:26 AM, Xena said:

've done a lot of running here (spent several months here a while back) and honestly I'm pretty sure it's my least favorite kind of running...the urban jungle. I really DON"T LIKE running around pedestrians, closed sidewalks and other obstacles and dealing with all the millions of stoplights. Not fun to m

That really sounds like it sucks tbh. Trying to run through town would really put me off. 

Running vs walking question:

This has been running through my mind (no pun) for no particular reason.  If a person runs for an hour, then the next day walks for an hour, obviously that same person would burn more cals running.  However, if that person runs for 5mi one day, then walks (at a fast pace) 5mi the next, which day would you guess they would burn more cals?  At first glance, I might say running.  However, they might only spend 35min (7min mi) running but spend 70min fast paced walking (14min mi).  Any guesses?  Just something that popped into my mind the other day.

1 hour ago, peelout said:

This has been running through my mind (no pun) for no particular reason.  If a person runs for an hour, then the next day walks for an hour, obviously that same person would burn more cals running.  However, if that person runs for 5mi one day, then walks (at a fast pace) 5mi the next, which day would you guess they would burn more cals?  At first glance, I might say running.  However, they might only spend 35min (7min mi) running but spend 70min fast paced walking (14min mi).  Any guesses?  Just something that popped into my mind the other day.

I'm not the expert here, but my understanding has always been that it's the mileage that counts. The speed at which you do it affects your cardiovascular system differently, but for calorie burn 5 miles is 5 miles. I may be very incorrect, however.

• Like 2

Thirded. From what I've read, running means you burn it in less time than if you were walking, but in the end, the calories depend on distance. You don't even need to be walking at a fast pace.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, peelout said:

Yup, rule of thumb is they are equal. I have to guess it's not 100% sure, but close enough for practical purposes.

-------------

So...last week ended with some gluttony. Too much drinking on Saturday. Kind of a lot of eating on Sunday, which honestly helped me recover from Saturday. Then crazy late traveling that's put me behind today. I don't regret one single oyster though. They were freaking delicious!

Got home at 2:30 this morning (not partying, just late travel) and had to kind of organize myself at work and home. Gonna just do my tracking and pushups today and have a more normal day tomorrow.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, peelout said:

Again, no expert here, but my understanding is that the highest rate of calorie burning is at the beginning as the heart rate rises until the "out of breath" feeling sets in and for a short while after that. Past that point, the body adapts and things get less stressful in comparison, meaning the rate at which calories are burned also goes down. This is what interval training tries to take advantage of, pausing once you've hit that steady spot in order to keep you on the maximum burning rate at all times.

That said, they might be more or less equal, but potential intervals can provide significantly different results. A steady 5mi run is not the same as interval sprints that total 5mi and a 5mi walk feels different depending on whether it's a steady walk or you gotta stop every once in a while (think of walking a dog or pausing to check out storefronts).

• Like 3

11 hours ago, peelout said:

It's really physics. Assuming a steady state because acceleration is different, it takes x amount of energy for (calories) to move y mass for z miles. What running affects is the time it takes to do that 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Again, no expert here, but my understanding is that the highest rate of calorie burning is at the beginning as the heart rate rises until the "out of breath" feeling sets in and for a short while after that. Past that point, the body adapts and things get less stressful in comparison, meaning the rate at which calories are burned also goes down. This is what interval training tries to take advantage of, pausing once you've hit that steady spot in order to keep you on the maximum burning rate at all times.

This is what I thought, as well. It seems like heart rate is involved in calorie burn, but I don't have sources to back that up.

• Like 1