• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena embraces minimalism

7 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

It's really physics. Assuming a steady state because acceleration is different, it takes x amount of energy for (calories) to move y mass for z miles. What running affects is the time it takes to do that 

I might be missing something, but isn't acceleration the point of the question (running v. walking)? Wouldn't physics tell us that force (amount of energy) is equal to mass times acceleration? And acceleration is equal to distance divided by the time squared (well, technically velocity (distance over time) divided by time which can be reduced to distance/time squared)? Running reduces the time for the given distance, thereby increasing the acceleration. Your body is the mass that remains constant. In this scenario, only the acceleration changes which increases the force. In short, it takes more energy to move the same mass, the same distance in a shorter amount of time. But, the human body being a biological system, it isn't just about the physics of moving an object across a flat plane. We would also need to take into account all of the systems and chemical reactions that take place to convert compounds into glycogen for the muscles to use to generate that force, the lungs to supply the oxygen, the heart to speed those nutrients around at a pace to keep up and to sweep away the lactic acid that is generated. Which is where I would guess the heart rate comes into it. I have no idea how to calculate that.

Nice question @peelout! Kinda makes my brain hurt and I'm not even sure if all of my conclusions/assumptions are correct, but it was a fun diversion from my day job :D

• Like 1

This is an interesting threadjack! I think @jonfirestar is right here though, acceleration doesn't really come into it if we're comparing steady state cardio. When you walk, you accelerate up to speed very rapidly and then maintain your chosen speed for the remainder of the walk. This is the same when you run and although you are accelerating up to a greater speed this initial acceleration is pretty negligible if we're travelling 5 miles. Once the body is moving then the only force put in is to counter-act friction to maintain the travel.

That said it is hugely more complicated than that as @jstanlick says. We are not just blocks being pulled forward and although it might help with approximations the situation I am describing is better for answering the question "how much energy does it take to tow a human?"

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Once the body is moving then the only force put in is to counter-act friction to maintain the travel.

Forgot that part. Acceleration is the change in velocity. My bad! Got a little wrapped up in the equations.

• Like 3

Come to think of it, maybe that's why interval training seems to require so much more effort. Speed up, slow down, repeat. Velocity is always changing in that type of movement.

Sorry, @Xena, I will stop stealing your thread now :D

• Like 3

Hijack away guys. But just wanted to point out, the cardio training aspect (aerobic threshold,etc) is different from the calorie burning aspect.

--------------

Today was a much more normal day for me. 4 miles in the morning (unfortunately kind of icy), did my pushups and calorie tracking, went to the gym after work, Unfortunately no bar available for pull-ups, but did everything else.

Also made a list of winter goals. They range from the industrious (repair and repaint my living room wall) to the virtuous (do some volunteer work), to the adventurous (take a ski trip) to the slightly hedonistic (finish that weird butterscotch-y rum...it's not bad but definitely a winter drink that I've had sitting around for a few years).

Looking like high 60's with thunderstorms for my marathon this weekend. Gotta go figure out a strategy for that.

• Like 10

Wow, sorry Xena, I never thought this question would generate so many posts.  I came to you because you run so much and thought you might have researched it.  Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  Below is a link to an interesting article by someone who writes for Runners World and sites a California State University study on the subject (not sure how valid that is but Runners World seems like it might be a reasonable source).  In this study, it said that running a mile burns more cals per mile than walking.  I have no idea how they measured actual calories burned.  One study or author doesn't prove anything and the difference was not huge, but here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

Xena:  Where might you take the ski trip?

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 8:46 PM, peelout said:

Xena:  Where might you take the ski trip?

When I hurt my back last year, I decided that I might give up snowboarding (I'm not good at it, so injury risk kind of high), and I abandoned downhill a long time ago (not good at that either). I dabble in snowshoeing and have tried cross country a few times. I tend to like repetitive motion/endurance sports. You guys know me as a distance runner, but like DR (and some others around here), I was a swimmer growing up. I think I could have been decent at crew, and I think I can probably pick up X-country. Not interested in the super-technical stuff, but want to get some technical competence so I could do overnight hut-to-hut trips.

Back in May I did a 50K at this cool trail system near Portland Maine called Pineland Farms. So really my short-term idea is just to organize a weekend with some good friends checking out the trails and hanging out in Portland.

My longer term goal is to figure out a way to do some kind of epic (but safe) multi-day X-country trek in Sweden or Norway. They have good supported hut systems. I have at least one friend who is competent (and super cool) and wants to do it. I just have to figure out what kind of skill level I would need and what I could reasonable attain.

11 hours ago, Fonzico said:

I like your winter goal list - it's got good range emoji14.png

I see what you did there :-)

-------------

Today kind of a light day (as planned). Doing well on tracking. Will run and go to the gym tomorrow.

Having a few days off from pushups and starting again makes me realize how much I ramped up last challenge (it was about 3x more than I had ever done in that period of time). I know this will sound stupid, but I was having all these knots inside my shoulderblade and couldn't figure it out. Pretty sure it was the pushups. Still feeling ok so I'll keep them up, but I may back off and substitute something else if I start getting all knotted up again.

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, Xena said:

Having a few days off from pushups and starting again makes me realize how much I ramped up last challenge (it was about 3x more than I had ever done in that period of time). I know this will sound stupid, but I was having all these knots inside my shoulderblade and couldn't figure it out. Pretty sure it was the pushups. Still feeling ok so I'll keep them up, but I may back off and substitute something else if I start getting all knotted up again.

Lacrosse ball time!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Lacrosse ball time!

Yup did lots of that. Also laying across a yoga block or foam roller. Also this pose

Image result for yoga lying across a bolster twist

7 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Ooh winter adventures sound fun!

Do you normally run and lift on the same days? 

Yes, but I often run in the morning and lift at night. And for a couple weeks I've had a break from leg days.

-------------

I hit my goal weight for the first time today. I've lost 10-12 pounds and haven't seen this weight in over 20 years.

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Xena said:

My longer term goal is to figure out a way to do some kind of epic (but safe) multi-day X-country trek in Sweden or Norway.

Rangersense tingling

Spider-Sense.gif

There's potential for an adventurous European NF meetup in that idea...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I hit my goal weight for the first time today. I've lost 10-12 pounds and haven't seen this weight in over 20 years.

Now thats the kind of post I like to hear.  Gets sh@t done on this thread.

Image result for pictures of people winning

• Like 5

Yeah you did!

That's awesome, congrats! You're so inspiring 😊

• Like 1

On 1/13/2017 at 1:48 PM, x Valkyrie x said:

Was that a 50k run or snowshoe expedition? Sounds super fun! 

Just a run (back in May). It was my first legit ultrarun and it was a really fun trip. Event was super low key and I had a really good friend with me.

On 1/15/2017 at 9:01 PM, DJtrippyT said:

If you go to Finland you have to go here. It's so on my bucket list.

http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/

Wow, that place looks AWESOME!!! It reminds me of a place I stayed in Patagonia several years back  http://www.ecocamp.travel/en#

• Like 3

Week 1 Wrap-up
 Challenge goals are a little light this time around...and are about to be modified further, so here's week 1 in review:

1. Run 3x/week....yup, ran 5 times, total of 39.4 miles, and most importantly, finished the marathon...more on that later.

2. 20 days of pushups...only did 4. But I'm starting to feel some new twinges in my shoulder. This makes me nervous, so I'm scaling the goal. Skipped today. Tomorrow I'll try 10, and take the next day off to assess. If no pain I'll try 15 etc etc. Don't want to get hurt. I know wide pushups can make people vulnerable to shoulder injury, but this is new for me.

3. 8 days of strength training...only did 1. Partly because I was busy/traveling. I could have found time for an at-home workout, but there were lots of things I was avoiding so close to my race. I'll get in at least 2 days this week and will try for 3. Planning to go to the gym tomorrow...but my legs are still recovering and I want to go easy on my shoulder, so it will be a modified workout with lots of core exercises.

4. 20 days of tracking...5 days tracked and 2 days excused (pre-marathon and marathon days). Didn't really make a plan for whether the excused days should count toward the goal, so I'll split the difference and count it as 6 days. Made my average calorie goal for the week :-)

Marathon Report

So I finished a marathon in State #22! Houston Marathon this Sunday. Weather was a little warm (60's) and very humid with some rain. I wasn't hot but I was pretty uncomfortable most of the time. My honest best guess is that given my training, I could have run about 15 minutes faster under better conditions. But the weather is part of the race and everyone else was dealing with the same thing. A great thing is I'm not noticeably sore today. Post-race free massage probably helped with that.

Had a great time traveling to the race and hanging out with a friend. We ate really well (ribs, mesquite-grilled redfish, burger) but missed a couple key things (brisket, whataburger) and clearly need to go back. I still can't believe we didn't make it to Whataburger after all that...but hours were limited and we were honestly too tired to leave the hotel after the marathon on Sunday. Wanted to see some live music too, but needed to sleep early on Saturday and nothing open on Sunday.

Part of me really wants to find another marathon and chase a faster time, but I think the better thing for me right now is to do some local races. Depending on weather I'll do a 20 miler in February. In March I'll do a half marathon and the following week I'll try a 6-hour trail run. I'm going to focus on trying to do well in the half. It's a race I've run several times over the years (so I know what is a good performance for me) and I've always liked the half marathon distance.

• Like 12