Jessebel Enters the Gompa

Jessebel

taktsang_dzong.jpg

2017. The hike to here has been a long one, but I have arrived.

As I follow the path, I seek to find a class with which to align myself. For now, like others have before me, I seek respite in the knowledge and the community of the druids. With your guidance and support, I believe that I can reach the goals set for this cycle.

I typically develop a theme for my challenges, but fail to complete them due to their complexity. This time, I will keep things simple so that my focus can shift from the story to the goals themselves. For this challenge, I will focus on building strength in three areas: Mind, Body, and Will

Strength of Mind

strength-training-for-body-and-mind.jpg

One Mala a Day: Each day, I will complete a mala of Om Mani Padme Hum, or 108 prayers. I am adding this as part of my daily meditation as I build a daily practice.

Tai Chi: I am new to Tai Chi. By the end of the month, I hope to add 10 minutes a day of Tai Chi to my morning routine. Understanding the meaning and purpose of the postures is important to me, so the time can be spent practicing or studying. I am learning this to advance my goal of becoming proficient in Tai Chi.

Strength of Body

imgur-rock-climbing-larger-size.png

Rock Climbing: I will climb at least once per week. I am pursing this goal to advance my quarterly goal of climbing 5.6+ with ease.

Walk: I will walk to the Prancing Pony (135 miles). This is a way point on the road to Rivendell (quarterly goal) and the first leg on my journey to Mordor.

Water: I will drink at least 32oz of water a day. I am pursuing this goal to advance my goal of making water my primary beverage by the end of the year.

Sleep: I will sleep at least 8 hours per night. I am pursuing this goal to advance my goal of establishing a healthy sleep routine.

Strength of Will

EmilysQuotes.Com-strength-physical-capac

Complete this Challenge: I will complete this challenge. This will be one of four challenges I promise to complete this year.

Take the Bus: I will take the bus to school instead of driving. This will support my annual goal of driving less even though it is convenient.

Take Notes: I will annotate required readings. This will support my 5 year goal of publishing research in the field of Occupational Therapy.

Environmental Adaptation: I will make three changes to my environment to decrease the amount of willpower required to complete my goals.

Good luck in your endeavors and thank so much for your support.

banner3.jpg

Happy New Year!

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Jessebel said:

Water: I will drink at least 32oz of water a day. I am pursuing this goal to advance my goal of making water my primary beverage by the end of the year.

Never underestimate the power of hydration. :) 

I wish you luck in all of your goals.

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

On 1/1/2017 at 10:14 PM, LittleTurtle said:

Never underestimate the power of hydration. :) 

I wish you luck in all of your goals.

With the exception of the marked increase in urination, being hydrated has been lovely so far. 

20 hours ago, Bouncer the Resilient said:

Ooh I love the vibe here! Following along, hoping for the best for you!

Thank ya muchly!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jessebel said:

With the exception of the marked increase in urination, being hydrated has been lovely so far. 

Ah yes.  That does suck...but your body should acclimate. :frog: 

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

2 hours ago, LittleTurtle said:

Ah yes.  That does suck...but your body should acclimate. :frog: 

The hardest part is getting past the "I have to pee all the time stage" xD

Though I do have to say it can be difficult sometimes when you realize parts of your schedule have a hard time "getting breaks".

• Like 1

Personfied/Comissioned Druid Avatar by EzratheButt

Halfway through zero week, and it is going swimmingly thus far. 

One Mala: 4/4

Tai Chi: 4/4

Rock Climbing once a week: Check

Walk to Prancing Pony: 8/135

Sleep 8hrs: 3/3

32oz a day: 4/4 (at least 64oz each day)

Environmental Adaptations: 1/3. Designated and set up space for meditation

I plan to update this post just Wednesday and Sunday to limit the amount of time I spend online with the more detailed update scheduled for Sundays. 

Thanks for the support thus far!

• Like 3

Zero Week: End of Week Report

Overall, I would say that zero week was a success!

Om Mani Padme Hum Mala (1x/day)

Completed 6/7 days. I noticed a real difference when my intention was there versus when I was just trying to check off a box on my tracker. I spend more time meditating and completing prayers and chanting when I lock myself away in my meditation space than when I try to just ignore my surroundings. Moving forward, I will work to clear my mind and set my intention so that I can be more present in my practice.

Tai Chi: Yang short form (10 min/ day)

I have really enjoyed practicing Tai Chi! I have not gotten very far in the postures, but I feel certain in the movements I have been practicing. I spent well over 10 minutes a day (including text/ video study) on Tai Chi six of seven days, and I taught my lady friend what I have learned so far without so many details. The forms I have practiced include commencement posture, parting the wild horses mane (x3), and white crane spreads its wings.

Tai Chi gets my stamp of approval.

Rock Climbing (1x/ week)

I rock climbed once this week, so I suppose that is a success as well! My goal is to be climbing 5.6+ by the end of March and I could climb some 5.5+ and 5.6 routes during this visit. I was going to go last night as well, but the gym was closed due to snow.

Walk to Prancing Pony (135 miles)

Twelve miles down. I only count miles that are walked or ran specifically for exercise and not all of the steps that I take in a day. This week’s walking was shorter than normal due to the monthly blood curse, ice, and seizures. Unfortunately, due to my slacking this week, I have to walk about 30 miles a week for the rest of the challenge to make it. I think I will be alright especially since I need to limit my driving. J

Sleep 8hrs

Sleep has been a big issue for me for some time. Recently, I had some seizures which brought my attention back to the importance of sleep. I slept for at least eight hours 5/6 nights (night 7 is tonight) and was in bed by midnight each night. The past two nights, my lady friend has been sleeping in our guestroom to see if sleeping alone helps me at all. Only five more nights until that experiment ends. It’s silly, but I hope that I do not notice a significant difference so I can have her back in our bed soon. The dogs have been much harder to remove.

Water (32oz/ day)

I’ve gotten 64oz or more most days if I can count seltzer water. My soda consumption is also way down as a byproduct. It is nice to feel hydrated. Had I known what I was missing out on, I would have started drinking more water sooner.

Environmental Adaptations (3 by end of challenge)

I completed my first adaptation, if you can call it that. I designated a space to complete meditation. It ended up being the first place I tried (guest room) as it is realistically the only place in my home where I can shut myself away without shutting anyone else out. The problem is that, even though all of my meditation stuff is there, I only used the space twice during the week.

Other Stuff

The rest of the week was pretty swell. I went geocaching with my lady friend and stumbled across a cool stuck house (picture below). I went to the local gaming bar (I do not really drink alcohol, but I did get some extra water in) and learned to play Mysterium, Lost Cities, Kodama and Compounded with my lady and other friends. I went on a Zombie run (only 5 more sessions until I complete the Zombies c25k program!) and took the dogs for a walk in the snow. I also found myself a pretty great side kick through Rising Hereos. I have not yet decided if I will stick with it. It depends on how things go next week!

Good times.

Possible Challenges for Next Week
The big one is that school starts back next week, but not until Thursday, so my additional goals will kick in.

Also, my center is starting a new module in the Discovering Buddhism series on Monday which I love but which takes some more time.

Hopefully next week will be a lovely as this one.

Some Pictures

not a door.jpg

For the haha

stick house.jpg

Stick House

walkin.jpg

Youngest in the snow

Good luck with all your goals, and thanks for stopping by!

• Like 2

Nice work!  

• Like 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

I love the theme and all your quests for this challenge! I like the fact that completing the challenge is one of the quests of the challenge, lol. Good job on finding a Rising Heroes side kick! I have a feeling I may end up dropping the program, but only because I feel like I have enough accountability from myself and the forums. I think RH is meant to hold your hand a little more and guide you daily. I'm not sure I need that at this point. But I'm curious to see how the missions change. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1 — 23456 — 78910111213 — 14 — 1516 — 17181920 — 2122 — 23 — 24 — 25 

On 1/8/2017 at 1:00 AM, LittleTurtle said:

Nice work!  

Thank you, muchly! I was pretty pleased with myself. Haha. 

On 1/8/2017 at 11:01 PM, EternalJourno said:

I love the theme and all your quests for this challenge! I like the fact that completing the challenge is one of the quests of the challenge, lol. Good job on finding a Rising Heroes side kick! I have a feeling I may end up dropping the program, but only because I feel like I have enough accountability from myself and the forums. I think RH is meant to hold your hand a little more and guide you daily. I'm not sure I need that at this point. But I'm curious to see how the missions change. 

Thank you, sir! Unfortunately, as much as I love these challenges and as helpful as they are, I have a hard time sticking with it. Even if I stick to my goals, the documentation is hard. I also think that RH is not really for me for similar reasons and made me appreciate the value of a self-paced program. I am going to hold out a full month because you can get your first two months refunded if you don't like it. We'll see how it goes!

• Like 1

So, week one isn't going quite as well as week zero, but it really isn't going terribly. I've been struggling to juggle all of the things, but I am working on establishing a stronger routine. Figuring out a realistic schedule is part of that. The amount of ice has made getting out harder to do and restoring water to my home after the pipes froze took more time than I anticipated. 

I still had plenty of time to do the things, but you know. Reasons and stuff. 

Completed 3/4 days. And, honestly, I have only completed this task so that I can check off boxes which kind of defeats the purpose of the practice. 

So, I have done Tai Chi everyday, but I have only gotten 1/4 days with 10 or more minutes. I have practiced the postures that I have learned so far and I am making a new goal of adding a posture before the end of the week. 

Rock Climbing (1x/ week)

Not yet, but I will! Probably on Friday. If not, then Saturday.

Added 4 miles for a total of 16/135 miles. And that was in one day. 

Sleep 8hrs

4/4. Yesterday, I started taking melatonin again now that I have established a semi-normal sleep routine and have improved my sleep hygiene. We will see how that goes. The lady is already back in the bed, and I am pretty happy about that. We decided that if I have any neurosymptoms during the day, that I will sleep alone that night and every night until the symptoms go away. 

Water (32oz/ day)

4/4. So much water. So much. 

1/3. No progress this week. And I do not plan on making more progress on this particular goal this week as school is starting. 

Complete this Challenge 

I'm still here. That's a good sign! I am tracking a lot in my handy notebook which makes keeping up with my daily log a little easier. I have tracked zero days so far in my battle log for this week. I will remedy that soonish. 

Take the Bus 

Tomorrow is my first day back to class! If I take the bus (1 hour ride) tomorrow, I will have completed this goal for the week. And nature is being nice to me tomorrow morning, so I have no excuses! 

Take Notes (Annotate Readings) 

I have already read and annotated one article. I will be able to finish up the second article this evening. 

And that's all I've got really! 

Take care.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jessebel said:

Completed 3/4 days. And, honestly, I have only completed this task so that I can check off boxes which kind of defeats the purpose of the practice. 

Yes and no... Maybe short term it defeats the purpose, but if it helps you build a habit of doing it regularly then you should get to the point of doing it because that's part of your day and start getting the full benefit again.

Sounds like week 1 is going well, keep up the good work!

Yes and no... Maybe short term it defeats the purpose, but if it helps you build a habit of doing it regularly then you should get to the point of doing it because that's part of your day and start getting the full benefit again.

Sounds like week 1 is going well, keep up the good work!

Thanks for saying this. I was thinking of not doing it tonight, but you are totally right.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Completed 6/7 days. Some days are better than others, and that is okay.  

I am falling short of the 10 min/ day goal, but I have been doing Tai Chi each day. 4/24 postures learned so far!

Rock Climbing (1x/ week)

Check! On 01/13. 5.5, 5.5+, 5.6(x2)

37/135 miles. 

Sleep 8hrs

7/7. ALL OF THE DAYS! And I really think this makes a huge difference in my life. 

Water (32oz/ day)

7/7.

1/3. No progress this week. 

Complete this Challenge 

I won't stop. I'll get it, get it. 

Take the Bus 

I took the bus! I really like taking the bus. 

I read and took notes for the week. Of course, it was only the first week. And there was only one day of classes. But I did it! 

Week Two

Wow. This month is flying by. I think that I may actually finish this challenge!

This week will be more challenging than the last but still easier than the following as I have no classes tomorrow. I will have to take the bus either 2 or 3 days this week and it will be raining the two days I am sure that I need to ride. 

I know. It shouldn't be hard. The hard part is the waking up part. And that part is made harder by the rainy bits. Despite this, I am still confident.

I mean, things are going pretty well so far.

I just have to keep on this middle road and not succumb to all or nothing tendencies. Right now, I am happy with slow and steady progress. 

Pictures from the week

[Pending figuring out how the internet works]

• Like 2

Am I right in understanding that you walk a mile to get to the bus? Impressive! The best thing about riding the bus is that you can read or zone out or whatever. Very much frowned upon when you do that while driving.

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

On 1/16/2017 at 9:36 AM, stealthstitcher said:

Am I right in understanding that you walk a mile to get to the bus? Impressive! The best thing about riding the bus is that you can read or zone out or whatever. Very much frowned upon when you do that while driving.

Yeah. It's a mile to my bus and back home. It would be more impressive if I were more consistent. :P

And, for the moment you've all been waiting for, my end of challenge review!

I am having to estimate on a few things because I have not been great at tracking, although I am getting better (just not on here). 

I have meditated or completed a mala most days, but I fell quite short of making this goal. I am not really sure what happened other than school starting. Funny. I read an article for school about how people with more time are better able to change habits. Shocking, yes? Really, it showed that people who manage their diabetes the best when given education on habit changes are the people with the most time to available to change their habits. It is, by far, the biggest predictor. Bigger, even, than the amount of time the individual has been managing diabetes (newly diagnosed vs 10 years, for example). 

Applying that to my life, I need more time or fewer goals. Given the way time works, I will have to lean towards the latter option. 

I run through the postures that I know a few times a day, but I have fallen short of the 10 min/ day rule. Next month, I think that I will just try to learn one posture a week and run through what I know at least once a day (which takes less than 1 minute). 

Rock Climbing (1x/ week)

Done and done! I even muscled my way up a 5.7. It was a slow, hot mess and I spent some time hanging in my harness, but I got to the top. Solid 5.6 climbing is getting closer.

I did not quite make it. 101/135. I have lots of excuses, but I could have gotten it done. My next goal is to get to the Great Watchtower of Amon Sul (mile 240). I think it will be easier because of weather reasons. We shall see!

Sleep 8hrs

You know, I really have been prioritizing this, and I think that it has paid off. I did miss about 4 nights during the month, but that is a huge improvement. 

Water (32oz/ day)

All of the water on all of the days! 

2/3. I have a dedicated meditation space and I organized my shared office space. It will need to be cleaned again soon. I did not meet this goal, and I am going to put it on the back burner for the next challenge.

Complete this Challenge 

I really need to figure out a reporting system that works well for me. The only problem with updating daily is that I really want to limit my time online. Once I am on the forums, I kind of fall into the bottomless pit that is the internet. I even have trouble keeping track in my bullet journal even though that only requires a check mark. I have seen a direct correlation between recording my progress and making said progress. Recording progress will be a goal next time around. Also, I am open to challenge updating suggestions. 

Take the Bus 

Damn. I drove every day last week because I went to bed late and then overslept. In addition to not walking to the bus and not reading on the bus, I ate fast food twice each day that I drove. This will be a goal again. 

I was able to keep up with school work. Easy peasy. 

Thanks for following along! I'll try to check in more regularly next time around. 

• Like 1