[Rebel Pilot Gar] A Fresh Start

Rebel Pilot Gar

Mission Log: Welcome to the Rebellion

The cantina in Ord Mantell was subdued. No surprise really, thanks to the frequent fighting between the Rebellion, Empire and anyone just plain looking for a fight. But leave was leave, so Gar sat in a small booth nestled in a corner of the cantina and nursed her drink. She kept a sharp eye out in case of trouble, but was blissfully undisturbed until a stranger in hooded robes invited themselves to the booth. 

"Greetings," Gar said carefully in basic. Never hurt to be polite. Even so, her hand twitched as she thought of the blaster at her belt. 

"I hear you are a pilot..." the figure began, voice soft and features indistinguishable in the low light. 

"Might be," Gar shrugged, "Why do you ask?"

"I have a job for a pilot. Especially one who can handle sensitive information." The figure slid a datachip across the table, but kept their hand on it - clearly waiting for a response. 

The first thought that crossed Gar's mind was how under-trained she was for this. Was a quiet night in an off-base cantina too much to ask for? She glanced at the datachip, seeing the Alliance Starbird faintly painted on a corner of the chip. 

Clenching her fists over the table, she looked at the mysterious figure. "Alright, I'll bite. What's the job?"

~~~

With the dawn of a new solar cycle Gar finds herself still on Ord Mantell, consulting a data pad. Her U-Wing was still grounded with at least one engine needing repair. From the schematics it looked like the hull had taken significant damage also.

"Looks like we'll be on Ord Mantell for a while longer, Jamo." What Gar would not give to have her dependable X-Wing right now instead of the old transport. But they had to deal with the present, and the U-Wing's size would be crucial to the next mission.

Gar's companion, a J-series astromech droid designated J4-M0 whined softly in reply, before letting out a series of beeps.

"The datachip?" Gar asked, "Yeah I guess we can take a look. Did you finish the check for viruses?" Gar looked back down at her data pad while J4-M0 streamed the analysis of the contents. "Hm, there are preparations we can get out of the way while we wait for the ship repairs... Might as well get started then."

~~~

1) Mindful Practice

To prevent the Sith from prematurely finding out about our mission, we must be mindful in our practice. Just because I am no Jedi does not mean I am completely defenseless against the darkside. 

Task: 31 days of yoga (Yoga with Adriene: Revolution)

2) Scan the Base

If the stranger from the cantina can be trusted, Imperial spies have infiltrated rebellion ranks. Scans must be taken and tracked to ensure these spies can be captured before sensitive information can be leaked. 

Task: Use the FitBit to track daily steps, sleep, and water consumption. (No judgement, just tracking)

3) Prepare the Rations

We may be grounded, but that does not mean I can just sit around and wait for the ship repairs to be completed. Need to have supplies ready for whenever the ship is prepared for launch.

Task: Bring lunch to work 4 days/week. Prepare night before for bonus points

• Like 8

2020 Battle Log

2017 - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 || 2018 - 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

2019 - 19 | 20 | 21 | 21.5 | 22 2020 - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Archived Mission Log

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Plain English:

I have pretty much immersed myself in Star Wars the past couple of weeks, thanks in part to Rogue One, SW:TOR, and my addiction to fanfiction. Any fellow Star Wars fans see some flaws in my storyline, please feel free to (gently) point them out. Otherwise I am having fun weaving in the little lore I remember from childhood obsession with my respawned character.

Previously participated in challenges (2012-2016) as "Garjan" but I felt a refresh was needed and have changed my username. My focus this challenge is mainly to track (with out guilt trips), and build a habit of daily exercise (yoga) and healthier choices (work lunches). 

J4-M0 is my dog droid and prime adventure companion. I will occasionally post pictures just because I can. Figure A below of "helping" with Yoga Day 1. 

tumblr_oj4bnnuJex1spvu8qo1_1280.jpg

• Like 3

2020 Battle Log

2017 - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 || 2018 - 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Thanks for the translation! I am the absolute worst Nerd. I saw the first 3 movies when I was probably younger than 10 and remember basically nothing. 

Aaaaanyway. Your challenge looks good! And I'm going to have to check out that yoga challenge. Good luck to you and your droid.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

10 hours ago, fleaball said:

Thanks for the translation! I am the absolute worst Nerd. I saw the first 3 movies when I was probably younger than 10 and remember basically nothing. 

Aaaaanyway. Your challenge looks good! And I'm going to have to check out that yoga challenge. Good luck to you and your droid.

No problem! I recognize that I know way too much about Star Wars (thanks to an addiction to the visual guides and reading the novelizations) so even with other Star Wars fans I need to translate myself when I start gushing about the vehicle designs and models. 

As for the yoga challenge - I (inconsistently) did one of Adriene's daily yoga challenges this past summer and really enjoyed her approach to the mindset and theme she weaves through the videos. If you are looking for a good source of free yoga videos on youtube - daily challenge or just general resource - I highly recommend her channel. :)

5 hours ago, Tyburn Lil said:

I think I may have just fallen in love with your puppy.

I'm going to follow you like a stray, partially to share motivation, but tbh mainly to get a chance to see more beautiful hound photos!

He's a good boy - even if he always tries to take up the bottom third of my yoga mat and lick me in the face. Thanks for the follow!!

• Like 2

2020 Battle Log

Yeah, I tried one of her challenges a few summers ago and enjoyed it. Much better than other challenges/instructors I've tried. (Don't ask me what they were, I couldn't tell you.)

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Ohmygodyourdogisgorgeousarglegashgaskfhgds.

Following! 

Also massive Star Wars nerd, so I'll try keep you right, but im more Yuuzhan Vong era stuff (loved those books...)

• Like 1

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

16 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

I recognize that I know way too much about Star Wars

Pff. No such thing. ;)

Followed! I can't pass up another Star Wars fan with an adorable doggie adventuring companion. How old is he? My little fuzz-face is only eight months, so he's still learning important adventuring skills like not chasing leaves or trying to eat bird poop.

• Like 2

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

Star Wars fans unite! Definitely following, this sounds amazing, and your droid looks like the perfect companion.

When talking to my friends I always feel like I know way too much about Star Wars... Though I should learn a bit more about the vehicles! I've mostly been into the languages lately.

The yoga challenge seems great, might try that one myself. :) 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Loopus said:

Ohmygodyourdogisgorgeousarglegashgaskfhgds.

Following! 

Also massive Star Wars nerd, so I'll try keep you right, but im more Yuuzhan Vong era stuff (loved those books...)

Thanks!! And I appreciate any help with timelines. I'm honestly just cobbling together what I remember with some quick google searches. My favorite era is the original trilogy plus the X-Wing books, but it has been quite a while since I last read those. 

I'm actually not that familiar with Yuuzhan Vong - any book you recommend starting with?

3 hours ago, Starstuff said:

Pff. No such thing. ;)

Followed! I can't pass up another Star Wars fan with an adorable doggie adventuring companion. How old is he? My little fuzz-face is only eight months, so he's still learning important adventuring skills like not chasing leaves or trying to eat bird poop.

Thank you! He's 2.5 years (3 in June) - he is pretty well behaved but some manners like jumping are still a work in progress. Best of luck with your pup! 

1 hour ago, Inazea said:

Star Wars fans unite! Definitely following, this sounds amazing, and your droid looks like the perfect companion.

When talking to my friends I always feel like I know way too much about Star Wars... Though I should learn a bit more about the vehicles! I've mostly been into the languages lately.

The yoga challenge seems great, might try that one myself. :) 

Thanks! I had a lot of fun writing this. I have to say one of my favorite things about Star Wars is how much of everything there is (history, planets, creatures, tech, etc) - and how detailed it is. Just so so much expansion on the stories and worlds it is amazing.

From past & current experience I definitely recommend it. Even if it's not a daily thing, there are so many great videos to choose from, and I like her mental approach to the practice - helps on day 7 or so ;)

• Like 1

2020 Battle Log

20 minutes ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

I'm actually not that familiar with Yuuzhan Vong - any book you recommend starting with?

Well, the whole New Jedi Order series is the Yuuzhan Vong War with Mara, Jacen and Ben. It kinda starts with the Dark Tide Duology, starting with (surprise suprise) Dark Tide I: Onslaught.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Jedi_Order (minor spoiler warning) 

Another fantastic, and smaller series, is the series of books revolving around Clone troopers who try to become real Mandalorians like Fett. A great insight into a barely explored culture in the Star Wars universe. Im desperately trying to find them! EDIT; Gottem! The 'Republic Commando' and 'Imperial Commando' books

• Like 1

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Week 0 Mission Progress:

Day 1: 

• (Yoga) Revolution Day 1 - Ease (24 min)
  • Steps = 370 * did not wear fitbit most of day
  • Sleep = 7 hr 52 min * (fitbit died partway through sleeping)
  • Water = 2000 ml
  • Rations = N/A

Day 2: 

• (Yoga)  Revolution Day 2 - Intention (31 min)
  • Steps = 3,105 * did not wear fitbit much of day
  • Sleep = 9 hr 04 min
  • Water = 2000 ml
  • Rations = N/A

Day 3:

• (Yoga) Revolution Day 3 - Honor (30 min)
  • Steps = 10,428
  • Sleep = 5 hr 24 min
  • Water = 1600 ml
  • Rations = YES
  • Like 3

2020 Battle Log

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:11 PM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Task: Use the FitBit to track daily steps, sleep, and water consumption. (No judgement, just tracking)

The "no judgment" part is so important.  In order to be accountable, you have to be honest.  To be honest with yourself and others, you have to accept it for what it is without judgment or embarrassment.  But "no judgment" does not mean no feedback.  You have to be able to review the results, find the weaknesses and missteps, and understand how to correct or circumvent in the future.  That is how we grow into the Rebel Pilot we see ourselves becoming.

Good luck in your mission!

• Like 2

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

On 1/3/2017 at 7:22 AM, Loopus said:

Well, the whole New Jedi Order series is the Yuuzhan Vong War with Mara, Jacen and Ben. It kinda starts with the Dark Tide Duology, starting with (surprise suprise) Dark Tide I: Onslaught.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Jedi_Order (minor spoiler warning) 

Another fantastic, and smaller series, is the series of books revolving around Clone troopers who try to become real Mandalorians like Fett. A great insight into a barely explored culture in the Star Wars universe. Im desperately trying to find them! EDIT; Gottem! The 'Republic Commando' and 'Imperial Commando' books

Thanks for the recs! Looks like my local library has the Commando books - I can definitely get started on those. (I don't mind buying books but I usually try to find them in the library first unless it's Harry Potter or something :P)

12 hours ago, JediNickD said:

The "no judgment" part is so important.  In order to be accountable, you have to be honest.  To be honest with yourself and others, you have to accept it for what it is without judgment or embarrassment.  But "no judgment" does not mean no feedback.  You have to be able to review the results, find the weaknesses and missteps, and understand how to correct or circumvent in the future.  That is how we grow into the Rebel Pilot we see ourselves becoming.

Good luck in your mission!

Ahh Master Jedi thank you for the pointers!! (Seriously though your response is so perfectly worded, I am now convinced you are a true Jedi)

I will certainly keep the feedback in mind. I do have "goals" registered on my Fitbit App for each category. My idea is to capture screenshots of trends and analyze at least weekly. 

10 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Found You (and following)!

First of all, the Yoga accountability offer works both ways! 

Second of all, I should have gotten a picture last night of my puppy "helping" with yoga too. I'm pretty sure our puppies are siblings in spirit (although mine is a month older).

Blast my disguise was discovered! And thank you, I am on track now but there are many days left before the mission is completed :)

Dogs are so nosy. They see you are paying attention to something other then them and happily join in the activity. Quite funny that your pup also brought their bone to yoga (maybe they think the yoga mat is a dog bed?)

9 hours ago, Mon Mothra said:

I really like your approach to this challenge. Your goals are do-able and your attitude about the challenge is awesome.

Following!

Thank you for the feedback. I am still a little worried the challenge is "too easy" but I'm sure that will change after the initial "new challenge adrenaline" wears off. Also... I love your user name :)

• Like 1

2020 Battle Log

11 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Ahh Master Jedi thank you for the pointers!! (Seriously though your response is so perfectly worded, I am now convinced you are a true Jedi)

I will certainly keep the feedback in mind. I do have "goals" registered on my Fitbit App for each category. My idea is to capture screenshots of trends and analyze at least weekly. 

I appreciate the kind words as it gives me perspective and feedback on my progress, but I'm just being careful with my words as my Jedi and Toastmasters communication/leadership training has taught me. 

Analyzing trends is my favorite way to track progress.  Nothing beats an experiment with a solid scientific method using mathematics and technology to collect and analyze data! 

Also, I love the quote from K-2SO in your signature.  He's the unsung hero of Rogue One.

• Like 1

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

57 minutes ago, JediNickD said:

I appreciate the kind words as it gives me perspective and feedback on my progress, but I'm just being careful with my words as my Jedi and Toastmasters communication/leadership training has taught me. 

Analyzing trends is my favorite way to track progress.  Nothing beats an experiment with a solid scientific method using mathematics and technology to collect and analyze data! 

Also, I love the quote from K-2SO in your signature.  He's the unsung hero of Rogue One.

I have truly started realizing how much care must be brought to clearly communicate properly . It is amazing the difference between what one thinks they are saying and what others understand from what they heard. 

Trends over time also help take emotion out of the analysis. Like you said honesty in data recording is crucial. The trend separates 'well that was the day XXX' and really shows the variance and progress over time.

And thank you. I love K-2SO so much. I mean there is something I loved about all of the Rogue One characters but K-2SO is something special. 

• Like 2

2020 Battle Log

Mission Report: Ord Mantell Day 7

Back on the ship, Gar finished scrambling and sending a response to her commanding officer's instructions. J4-M0 was plugged into the ship analyzing the diagnostics and repair logs, whistling softly in a way that did not bode well. 

The Rebellion it seemed had a few jobs in the surrounding system, and they were quite impatient for Gar to be underway. At the very least, her time scouting Ord Mantell had proven useful thus far. Gar had included the suspected companies involved in leaking information to the Imps in her report. 

A storm brewing outside the hangar would prevent Gar from scanning too far from base for the rest of the day. As J4-M0 finished its report on the remaining repairs, Gar decided to spend her time attending to her daily meditations.

~~~

1) Mindful Practice

To date 7 of 7 Yoga sessions have been completed. I am on track, and definitely feeling the effects of the practice so far - mainly in being more aware of how I am breathing and of my posture while sitting and standing. 

2) Scan the Base

tumblr_ojp0mrd52h1tqzzjao2_400.png

tumblr_ojp0mrd52h1tqzzjao3_1280.pngtumblr_ojp0mrd52h1tqzzjao1_1280.png

3) Prepare the Rations

Complete - 4 lunches brought out of 4 days back at work. The last two days were nearly a miss - need to attend to preparing the night before instead of relying on remembering day of. :)

• Like 5

2020 Battle Log

Great work!  And great writing!

Spoiler

Quick Week 1 Update Time!

On a goals standpoint this week is going well. I am 100% with the daily yoga so far. I have also been logging my water in the Fitbit app daily. (Which reminds me that I need to post those Week 0 screenshots... oops). I did miss bringing lunch to work Monday, made up for it Tuesday and Wednesday and just have to keep it up for Thursday and Friday.

• Like 3

2020 Battle Log

6 hours ago, Mon Mothra said:

That's awesome about your 100% daily yoga record! Keep up the good work!

Thank you! It's definitely getting harder to do after work. I may try before work next week - dependent on my success forcing earlier wake-up time...

6 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I thought of you last night. I was sitting cross-legged on the floor with my eyes closed, opened my eyes to Boom! Puppy!

I tried to get a picture but I wasn't fast enough. Last night, she was all about figuring out why exactly mommy was hanging out on the floor.

Haha nice! The "lion's breath" breathing has a very large chance of surprise dog kisses. "Mom why are you making strange sounds?? Here, let me kiss it better!!"

Also I get the occasional squeaky toy present placed just off the mat. Dogs are silly thats for sure :)

• Like 3

2020 Battle Log

Update 2

Yoga completed - 13/13 days so far

Lunches brought to work - 4/5 days 

Tracking - in progress :D

• Like 3

2020 Battle Log