The Year of the Spezzy

spezzy

EDIT: I WAS LOOKING FOR MY END OF CHALLENGE UPDATE AND REALIZED I JUST UPDATED MY INITIAL POST. OOPS :(

Powerlifting, main quest: 1,000lb total in 2017.

March 11th is the ending date of the second challenge, so these two first goals will be goals lasting 2 challenges, plus the break between.

1) Track everything I eat, hit my macros, and everything must be paleo except rice and dairy.

yeah, so i haven't done this. at all. HOWEVER, I'm down a solid 2lbs and definitely leaner.  What I did end up doing was mapping out a few meals and their macros and just... eating the same thing every day. This worked much better for me.

2) Trust the program.

Done - followed exactly except for one day where I put 15lbs more on the bar than I should have (but still hit my numbers :) )

Mental Health Main Quest 

1) WEAR YOUR STAINS ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR CLOTHES

100%

2) Miles with Madi

Did great the first half - and then stopped. Sooooo 50%

3) Work / Life Balance

0%

4) Counseling

100%

5) 10 Minutes for Me

90%

• Like 17
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Not only am I following, I'm not stealth following.

I love your focus on mental health. While I don't have specific goals for it and haven't, I've definitely worked a lot on it for the last few months. It makes such a huge difference. Wait a minute! I do have a goal for it this challenge and the next. Score!

raw

• Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

7 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

Really looking forward to how you go peaking for and competing in this competition. Following.

Thanks! I'm kind of nervous about it because I haven't competed at a sanctioned meet since Raw Nats in 2015.  I've still run programs to peak though my last one I took what I learned from 2x ago and applied it, but missed my max out day due to a kidney infection - so don't know how it actually worked (though I was pretty ready to go, so I think well?). I have the first week of the program done (which is good since it starts today) but am definitely going to be seeking out advice on the peaking part before I get to it.  Should be fun either way :) 

• Like 4
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Great set of goals. The Mental Health one is important, and you're awesome, both for tackling it and for the way you're going about it. I have been known to do personalized battle speeches upon request, and I'd be honored to help out in any way I can. Also, I mentioned about wanting to have at least one of my raw numbers on my big three higher than yours, the last time I tested bench I hit 215, and I'll be testing again this challenge...

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, Dagger said:

Not only am I following, I'm not stealth following.

I love your focus on mental health. While I don't have specific goals for it and haven't, I've definitely worked a lot on it for the last few months. It makes such a huge difference. Wait a minute! I do have a goal for it this challenge and the next. Score!

raw

Thanks! It's so hard to set specific goals for mental health, finally finding a good counselor has helped quite a bit, as he's helped me break things down into smaller manageable pieces.

5 hours ago, ManicSpider said:

These are great goals! And that Arnold pic cracks me up every time.

Thanks!  And yeah I use it for too many challenges. Never gets old. :D

55 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

This is such a great challenge. Following along!

NtLSCAe9rw3N6.gif

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Thanks! I'm kind of nervous about it because I haven't competed at a sanctioned meet since Raw Nats in 2015.  I've still run programs to peak though my last one I took what I learned from 2x ago and applied it, but missed my max out day due to a kidney infection - so don't know how it actually worked (though I was pretty ready to go, so I think well?). I have the first week of the program done (which is good since it starts today) but am definitely going to be seeking out advice on the peaking part before I get to it.  Should be fun either way :) 

You were originally planning on competing sometime around mid November weren't you? Illness sucks, glad to see you're back on it.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

4 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

You were originally planning on competing sometime around mid November weren't you? Illness sucks, glad to see you're back on it.

December 10th, yep. Was signed up and everything. Was having a lot of aches and pains and thought it was just the final weeks of the program so didn't get to the doctor as quickly as I should have, and then 1 week of antibiotics turned into 3. 

Can't be mad about it though! It's disappointing I didn't get to do it but things happen, and it was just really bad timing.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Thanks! It's so hard to set specific goals for mental health, finally finding a good counselor has helped quite a bit, as he's helped me break things down into smaller manageable pieces.

My changes have happened due to finding a mentor for this stuff: Kate Marolt! Camp NF has done so much good for me. :D

So I'm currently working on techniques for dealing with emotions when they come and different rituals/habits to take better care of myself. Just actually focusing on taking care of myself have made a huge difference.

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

26 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Great set of goals. The Mental Health one is important, and you're awesome, both for tackling it and for the way you're going about it. I have been known to do personalized battle speeches upon request, and I'd be honored to help out in any way I can. Also, I mentioned about wanting to have at least one of my raw numbers on my big three higher than yours, the last time I tested bench I hit 215, and I'll be testing again this challenge...

Thanks!

If you've already hit 215, you're already ahead of me. My bench PR is 200 :)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, spezzy said:

Thanks!

If you've already hit 215, you're already ahead of me. My bench PR is 200 :)

Life goal achieved! Now I must focus on the other lifts, where I am way the heck behind on raw numbers.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

16 hours ago, spezzy said:

But seriously: be more open about my struggles with EVERYONE in my life. This means don't hide in the closet because I'm depressed or anxious, it means admitting I'm having a problem and being honest about it. I can then hide in the dark, but I need to tell my loved ones it's happening instead of just shutting them out.

I connect with this on many levels. It's one of the best/hardest most useful things I sometimes try to always make myself do. <3 

• Like 2

Today's kind of crazy with Rising Heroes launch.

Did manage to sneak away and get a quick workout in -

Squat 5x5@235 (8RPE)

Bench 4x7 @145 (light RPE)

Oh dumbbell 3x10 at 30

I also set up a whiteboard on my fridge to start getting the hang of logging food again. This way as I eat I write it and then can log in MFP later:

9275a528a2456a65e26e3d4969d0e0de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
55 minutes ago, RedStone said:

I connect with this on many levels. It's one of the best/hardest most useful things I sometimes try to always make myself do. <3 

This is a new one for me. I didn't realize I was hurting my loved ones by shutting them out, I didn't want to hurt them by being around me when I was going through that. Turns out it's easier to just be like "hey, I'm feeling super anxious about this, can we talk about it later?" or "hey, i'm starting to feel anxious, I need some time to myself" and that's better than the alternative. 

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, spezzy said:

This is a new one for me. I didn't realize I was hurting my loved ones by shutting them out, I didn't want to hurt them by being around me when I was going through that. Turns out it's easier to just be like "hey, I'm feeling super anxious about this, can we talk about it later?" or "hey, i'm starting to feel anxious, I need some time to myself" and that's better than the alternative. 

Hey yo, and I'd call that a double win - they don't get hurt, and you get the self care and alone time you need, especially without having to feel like you're doing something wrong or making them unhappy, cause who needs more anxiety on top of anxiety? :P The more I've done this for myself the more I feel like I can back off on others when I realize they need it too. Seems to help, and well, I certainly hope it doesn't come up for you, but if it does... that it helps :) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, spezzy said:

Today's kind of crazy with Rising Heroes launch.

Did manage to sneak away and get a quick workout in -

Squat 5x5@235 (8RPE)

Bench 4x7 @145 (light RPE)

Oh dumbbell 3x10 at 30

I also set up a whiteboard on my fridge to start getting the hang of logging food again. This way as I eat I write it and then can log in MFP later:

9275a528a2456a65e26e3d4969d0e0de.jpg

I have 3 whiteboards and they are so freakin useful. The one inmy gym is 3 meters long

• Like 3

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

20 hours ago, spezzy said:

I think I'm definitely good for a 286 squat, 198 bench, and 440 deadlift

Impressive, most impressive.

20 hours ago, spezzy said:

440 deadlift

Gaaah my OCD twitched....441lbs is 200kg...the metrics among us would be stoked to see you hit that, 200 is a BIG number! 

• Like 2

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Gaaah my OCD twitched....441lbs is 200kg...the metrics among us would be stoked to see you hit that, 200 is a BIG number! 

Haha yeah it would actually be 200kg, since we compete in kg here. Biiiiiiig lifetime goal. Confident I have at least 200 if not 205, though I likely don't have BOTH, so likely will just go for 200 on my third even if I think I have 205, because I don't want to miss a milestone and I doubt doing 200 for my 2nd I'd have 205 for my third.

• Like 4