[BitterOyster] goes through (high-heeled) Boot Camp

BitterOyster

Hiya! I am usually with the Rangers but I'm dropping in to glean some Assassin-y wisdom.

This challenge I'm putting myself through boot camp.

favicon.png

Oh no, not the kind with yelling and mud. The kind with glitter, love and self-improvement. (And maybe a little mud.) The format will be a little different to typical challenges.

Basically I've set aside this month, in which I'm moving back in with my parents, to make the final preparations for my Epic Travel Adventure. This will involve WWOOFing in Australia and Germany for (hopefully) a year. I'm miles ahead of where I used to be (like a couch potato, but more of a couch turnip), but I'm still very overweight and not used to the solid 4-5 hours of physical work per day that is expected in WWOOFing. So now that the holiday hullabaloo has passed, I have two main goals:

Goal #1: Create a custom no-equipment travel-proof workout (and do at least some of it daily):

Barbells have been my mainstay since I got into fitness so I am a bit bamboozled by the world of bodyweight training! But I've done bits and pieces in exercise classes, and I have a month to put it together. So far I have 3 main areas of interest:

1. basic bodyweight strength exercises

2. mobility/accessory work

3. restorative work - stretching, yoga etc. to deal with the aches from the work I will be doing

I'm thinking of a modular workout, with some basic bodyweight exercises (a la Steve's Beginner Body Weight Workout) and a different area of mobility work each time, but if I'm not feeling it that day, just 2 basic exercises and I'm done, to avoid slipping into the 'I'll start tomorrow' mentality. I will be hashing out the details over the first two weeks.

Goal #2: Scale up the amount of time I spend being active

WWOOFing usually involves a 4-5 hour workday, 5 days a week. I will scale up my active time each week from 2 hours daily to 5 hours daily, with weekends to rest or make up lost hours. This includes exercise, housework and gardening - doesn't have to be too strenuous, as long as I'm on my feet. If I pick up a little casual work while I'm there, it will likely be something active. These 'work blocks' will ideally be mostly in the morning with an early start.

Week 0: 2 hour work blocks (I'll probably do more than this)

Week 1: 3 hour work blocks

Week 2: 3.5 hour work blocks

Week 3: 4 hour work blocks

Week 4: 4.5 or 5 hour work blocks

1403698484-51873500.jpg

Let the sparkling begin!

• Like 3

2017: Year of the Epic Travel Adventure

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Current challenge - Metallica Theme

Previous: 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle log/inspiration thread

Results

Week 0: Total chaos

Week 1: depression and partial chaos

Tuesday: Swim, 2 laps

Friday: short walk

Saturday: hill walk, workout

Sunday: short walk

Week 2

Monday: hill walk

Tuesday: short walk

Wednesday: hill walk

Thursday: short walk

Week 3 + 4

I lost track here.

I didn't end up going to yoga but I kept up my routine of alternating long and short walks, and occasional swims.

It's frustrating and kind of humiliating to go from being a frenetic ranger doing everything, to struggling to get out of bed, but I'm calling this a success to be proud of, because keeping on through depression and walking every day was a challenge I rose to.

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Love the glitter challenge, and the upcoming travel adventure! I had never heard of WWOOF, but it looks amazing. Steve's BBWW is a fantastic workout, although I may be biased as it's what got me into NF and starting on the path to where I am now. Looking forward to seeing the couch turnip progress!

(Also, welcome to the assassins!)

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Yay WWOOFing! For a few years I was doing a work-barter thing on a local organic farm - four hours once a week, and you bring home a big bag of veggies. I've also worked in landscaping. Hardest thing for me, in both jobs, was getting up super early, and being out in all sorts of weather. Rainy, cold, hot, whatever. If it was awful pouring rain at the farm, they'd often find us indoor work - rendering lard, transplanting seedlings - but sometimes, the work's gotta get done today, no matter the weather. There is a big order of veggies to go out, or there are trees that got delivered and need to go in the ground ASAP, or a truckload of alpaca poop needs to be moved.

That type of work can be really hard on the low back - lots of bending and stooping. Also a lot of kneeling, crouching, crawling, etc. We did a LOT of weed-pulling by hand. Being able to move around on the ground with good body mechanics made a huge difference.

The other thing is that farm work isn't ever a balanced workout. You might be mostly hoeing for three days straight, and even occasionally switching to doing it lefty is hard if you are working right along side other people. And you can't to a few hard "sets" of poop shovelling, and then take a rest day. You shovel the poop until the poop is done, so you have to sort of shift your grip and stance to tire out different muscles, which may not be the best muscles for the job, but they'll get it done. So when the day's work hasn't left you totally flat, having some kind of full-body workout is good to balance things out. At least some sort of "active recovery". (My housemate thinks it is stupid that I work out when there is always firewood to split, rocks to haul, etc. around here. Then she wonders why she keeps throwing her back out.) You just can't do hard workouts to failure - the alpaca poop will not wait for your DOMS to subside. You save your working-to-failure for when all the hay has to come in NOW.

• Like 2

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #20: The Weasel goes on an Adventure!

Also, I don't know if they provide gear, but even if they do you might want your own - especially a few quality pairs of work gloves, and a nice pair of rubber boots. There is a huge difference being out in cold rain and mud in stiff cheap rubber boots a size too large (with ice cold alpaca poop oozing in the crack in the heel that duct tape is failing to cover), and being out in the rain in a nice pair of insulated, well fitting, high quality boots. I'd always had cheap boots that lasted a year, maybe two with more duct tape, and a few years ago the local discount store got a small batch of ladies Muck Boots, for $20, instead of $120. Except your options were either hot pink snakeskin print, or bright yellow with fake fur tops and pom-poms. (Gotta love surplus, right?) So I got myself the yellow ones, and they are kind of silly looking, but I love them. They are just starting to show some wear, after more than five years.

Though if you are in Germany, I doubt you can even GET cheap boots in Germany. I've visited a few times, and I was never able to find anything that wasn't built to last 50 years, and priced accordingly.

• Like 1

I love this quest! Glitter, love and self-improvement are three of my favorite things, closely followed by heels and Doc Martens.  

I know you said "no equipment" but I've started traveling with resistance bands and that has been a great help to my workouts.  They are so light and take up no space at all.  

Where in Australia will you be? I spent a month there a while back and loved it. 

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

On 1/2/2017 at 3:22 AM, BitterOyster said:

Basically I've set aside this month, in which I'm moving back in with my parents, to make the final preparations for my Epic Travel Adventure. This will involve WWOOFing in Australia and Germany for (hopefully) a year.

OMG you are making me so jelly! I want to do an Epic Travel Adventure so badly. However 2 kids, a house and hubby's job have us a bit stuck. But I've told kids and husband that as soon as they're through college and he retires, we're selling the house and travelling the world. That's why I have to keep in shape!

That WOOFING thing sounds amazing. Have you already got all your stays planned out in advance, or is it something where you can pick the next spot as you go?

• Like 1

otterbyte, level 3 chirpy otter assassin

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 3

current challenges: otterbyte juggles priorities  \\ old challenges:4-week: DEC16 * JAN17 * FEB 17 * APR 17 * JAN 18\\ Assassin MiniChallenge: Epic Throwdown Championship * Assassin's Age: Origins \\ Monkey Tamers United

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett

On 03/01/2017 at 2:19 AM, Manarelle said:

Love the glitter challenge, and the upcoming travel adventure! I had never heard of WWOOF, but it looks amazing. Steve's BBWW is a fantastic workout, although I may be biased as it's what got me into NF and starting on the path to where I am now. Looking forward to seeing the couch turnip progress!

(Also, welcome to the assassins!)

Thanks! I never quite clicked with the BBWW, but now I am going into it with the mindset that I will have to adapt it heavily, and my physiotherapist has given me some alternate exercises, so I think it's going to be different this time.

On 03/01/2017 at 7:06 AM, Darth Yoga said:

Yay WWOOFing! For a few years I was doing a work-barter thing on a local organic farm - four hours once a week, and you bring home a big bag of veggies. I've also worked in landscaping. Hardest thing for me, in both jobs, was getting up super early, and being out in all sorts of weather. Rainy, cold, hot, whatever. If it was awful pouring rain at the farm, they'd often find us indoor work - rendering lard, transplanting seedlings - but sometimes, the work's gotta get done today, no matter the weather. There is a big order of veggies to go out, or there are trees that got delivered and need to go in the ground ASAP, or a truckload of alpaca poop needs to be moved.

Thanks so much for all the advice, it is super helpful! To be honest, I think it might actually be too much for me, but that's why I'm doing a test run in my home country before going overseas.

I did expect the work to be unbalanced, so I figure I can modify the workout easily to make up the difference.

I was wondering whether it was worth the extra weight to take rubber boots, but now I'm certain, especially since I absolutely hate having wet feet in shoes. Possibly I can get some cheap ones in Australia, leave them behind for the next person, and buy good ones in Germany, where I plan to spend more time.

We also seem to have the pink leopard print etc for muck boots here, and despite the theme of this challenge, I am really not one to wear decorative boots, but luckily my feet fit best in men's shoes and that suits me just fine :)

On 04/01/2017 at 6:49 AM, traaki said:

I love this quest! Glitter, love and self-improvement are three of my favorite things, closely followed by heels and Doc Martens.  

I know you said "no equipment" but I've started traveling with resistance bands and that has been a great help to my workouts.  They are so light and take up no space at all.  

Where in Australia will you be? I spent a month there a while back and loved it. 

Oh oh oh! Resistance bands, do tell! I actually have bought resistance bands since they seem like bang for your buck being so incredibly light, but when I searched the forums I didn't find much enthusiasm for them. What do you like to do with them?

I actually live in NSW in Australia, and I am going to Victoria for February, since that month is too humid for me in NSW but still too cold in Germany.

On 04/01/2017 at 1:23 PM, otterbyte said:

OMG you are making me so jelly! I want to do an Epic Travel Adventure so badly. However 2 kids, a house and hubby's job have us a bit stuck. But I've told kids and husband that as soon as they're through college and he retires, we're selling the house and travelling the world. That's why I have to keep in shape!

That WOOFING thing sounds amazing. Have you already got all your stays planned out in advance, or is it something where you can pick the next spot as you go?

I'm in an advantageous position, I was going to move cities anyway for better job options so I've just finished up at my job, my lease is about to end, I'm not in a relationship, don't have any pets or kids, so I may as well make the most of it!

I have 2 stays planned out, I'm going to start looking for more soon, aiming to always be at least couple of months ahead, but you can do it last-minute if you're less choosy about where you go.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Week 0 - I have been keeping up my knee exercises and done more than 2 hours of activity a day because I am totally flat out organising travel stuff and cleaning up the sharehouse I've been living in before we all move out - for complicated life reasons I'm the only one who can be here to clean up so we get our bond back, which is actually fine since I wanted the exercise. Haven't done the bodyweight workout yet, so I need to get on that soon.

Haven't posted about this yet but a few weeks ago I finally went to the new physiotherapist, she told me I have unstable kneecaps due to a biomechanical problem unrelated to weight. She described exactly how my knees behave, which I have never heard from a physiotherapist (I have never found a good one before this). Oddly enough I was ecstatic to hear I have problems, because I knew something was off but never got a diagnosis beyond a hand wave and being told to lose weight (like I need another reason?) So now I know what the problem is I can finally start dealing with it. She also told me all the squatting I was doing was aggravating it, and if I'd kept up my previous exercise schedule I was on track for permanent damage and increasingly frequent injuries, so that's been a big wakeup call.  'What do you mean I have to stop squatting? Those words make no sense. That is what I do 3-4 times a week. Squat is life.'

But it is so good to finally be able to do something, and to know my instincts were right.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Having traveled with close to 100 pounds of kettlebells I'd say @traaki's suggestion of resistance bands is vastly superior! It isn't something I've got much experience with, but anything you might do with dumbbells seems like a good candidate for resistance bands. 

And physios generally love resistance bands, so if she's giving you advice on what you should be doing, they are an especially good choice.

• Like 1

Agree that resistance bands don't get enough love. I didn't have much experience with them until PT for a rotator cuff tear, but after 6 weeks of doing only resistence bands, I've built up some impressive muscle (for me, probably won't win any body building contests or anything). Definitely worth looking into!

And glad you got a good physiotherapist. Understanding WHY something isn't working is so much better than a dismissive answer. Boo about the squats, but hey, at least you know and can find new things to do! Grats on the Week 0 process!

12 hours ago, BitterOyster said:

Oh oh oh! Resistance bands, do tell! I actually have bought resistance bands since they seem like bang for your buck being so incredibly light, but when I searched the forums I didn't find much enthusiasm for them. What do you like to do with them?

I actually live in NSW in Australia, and I am going to Victoria for February, since that month is too humid for me in NSW but still too cold in Germany.

Okay, I'm totally not an expert but these are the things I do:

• Rows--stand on the band and do a standard row--either upright or bent over
  • Wrap it around a door knob and hold on to it during leg lowerdowns or deadbugs (ab work) to engage arms and upper abs
  • Pull aparts 
  • Throw it over a closet bar and do fake pull ups 

I also look at lists like this one when I'm traveling and realize my standard workout can't be done because I don't have weights/a bar/whatever. http://greatist.com/fitness/resistance-band-exercises

I am 100% not a medical professional and hardly qualify as even a knowledgeable amateur, but I also have kneecap alignment issues. I had clamshells prescribed, as well as glute bridges and just standard quad stretches (the one where you stand on one leg and hold one foot against your butt).  If you're super sad about the loss of squats, maybe ask if you are off squats for LIFE or just until you develop nice complimentary muscles to keep that kneecap in place.  Squats fixed my knees but I have to be super careful about how I do them and make sure the right muscles are activating or my knees freak out.  But of course we may have completely different biomechanics! 

I loved both NSW and Victoria! I was there in June though and remembered wondering how humid and hot it must get in the summer. 

• Like 1

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

Not sure if you have the option to sink a good chunk of money into equipment but I have heard from several people that have used these while traveling that they work great.  Monkii Bars

I am personally waiting for Monkii Bars 2 to come out this spring and make it a birthday/ NF anniversary gift to myself.

To echo @traaki resistance bands work great, I don't have any weights at my house but I have done curls using bands in the past and it works great.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Myrik said:

Not sure if you have the option to sink a good chunk of money into equipment but I have heard from several people that have used these while traveling that they work great.  Monkii Bars

Whoa! These look fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Darth Yoga said:

Having traveled with close to 100 pounds of kettlebells

??????? Wow.

18 hours ago, Darth Yoga said:

And physios generally love resistance bands, so if she's giving you advice on what you should be doing, they are an especially good choice.

10 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Agree that resistance bands don't get enough love. I didn't have much experience with them until PT for a rotator cuff tear, but after 6 weeks of doing only resistence bands, I've built up some impressive muscle (for me, probably won't win any body building contests or anything). Definitely worth looking into!

Actually I didn't mention the resistance bands to the physio because I had so much else to talk about, and she just gave me standing and lying knee exercises. Unfortunately I only got in 2 appointments with her before the move date, and she doesn't have any recommendations for where I'm eventually moving to. There are more pros than cons for moving away, but some things I'm sad about losing are this awesome physio and my amazing kickboxing instructor and totally inspirational classmates.

7 hours ago, traaki said:

Okay, I'm totally not an expert but these are the things I do:

[clipped]

I loved both NSW and Victoria! I was there in June though and remembered wondering how humid and hot it must get in the summer. 

Thanks, I will have a look at those!

NSW coastal summers depend very much on how far north you are, anything north of Sydney is way too humid for me. I'm 2h north which is not quite subtropical, but still humid and full of mosquitoes. My parents are south of Sydney halfway to the southern border, so I like it much better!

6 hours ago, Myrik said:

I am personally waiting for Monkii Bars 2 to come out this spring and make it a birthday/ NF anniversary gift to myself.

To echo @traaki resistance bands work great, I don't have any weights at my house but I have done curls using bands in the past and it works great.

So glad to see all the love for resistance bands! Those bars look great, I have seen similar cheaper suspension systems but I'm afraid of damaging my hosts' doors since I'm so heavy. My gym has a set and I really enjoyed doing inverted rows on them, way more than any other kind of rows, so maybe it is worth taking them just in case I can drum up the courage to ask, or maybe I will find a convenient attachment point. I also was looking at gymnastic rings lately, one idea was to attach them to playground equipment, but the suspension system could do that too.

I don't have serious shoulder problems, just the typical office dweller syndrome, and when I do consistent mobility work they really improve noticeably. So I'm in a good position to work on them and prevent problems before they start. I think some hanging and leg assisted pullups would really help them.

• Like 4

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

In other news, I think I've been having depression symptoms coming back. I've had it in the past, am mostly recovered but it creeps back every now and then, often at an inconvenient time. I think the level of tired I am is beyond just tired, I'm not getting up early and I am wanting to stay in bed for hours, when normally that bores me. And I'm having a lot of negative thoughts about myself, which on some level I don't actually believe, but they keep coming back.

Despite hearing it a zillion times, light exercise like walking doesn't really seem to help me, shorter bursts of intense activity do, which seems intolerable right now, but I'll get there. Hopefully the bodyweight workout will hit that spot if I set a timer and try to get as much done in that time as possible, and also I'm planning to take up lap swimming once I get to my parents' place. I haven't done that for many years and I haven't done much cardio lately, so making it through a lap without stopping will probably be high enough intensity.

These are the sparkly boots of depression recovery, because I've just decided they are.

54851b24e7da3_-_mcx-saint-laurent-boots.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

1 hour ago, BitterOyster said:

??????? Wow.

It was a 50lb, a 35lb, and a 10lb. We were on a road trip for business, something like three weeks, staying in multiple locations. Let me tell you, after hauling those up stairs to a motel room or across a big hotel, I NEVER skipped a workout. I'd be all like - "I didn't drag these things across six states just to look at 'em!"

But yeah, never doing that again. Bodyweight workouts, FTW.

12 hours ago, BitterOyster said:

These are the sparkly boots of depression recovery, because I've just decided they are.

54851b24e7da3_-_mcx-saint-laurent-boots.

Fantastic. Kick that recovery into gear. Random depression is such a drag. (Man, these puns just write themselves!). You got this. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Hope you've just been busy, and not stuck kicking depression with your glittery boots of recovery. How's the week going?

Thanks for checking in! Unfortunately the depression symptoms have gotten worse and I haven't been doing much, but I haven't abandoned my knee exercises altogether and I have been getting out of the house a little every day. I have been traveling for the last few days to go to the German Consulate in Sydney and put in my visa application.

In the pits of depression I seriously considered calling the whole thing off, even though I have been planning and arranging my life around it for two years. I thought of taking the money and using it to support myself while taking a year to work on my health and art, since I just felt so tired. I called a good friend to talk it out and she told me I deserved to take that time if I wanted it. Ultimately I decided to go, but I shortened it to three months in Germany (plus one in Australia). That way I have more ability to plan what happens when I get back, and it also means I'll have better access to therapists and medication if needed once I'm back in Australia. If I really catch the travel bug, I can keep traveling in Australia, where I'm a citizen so I don't have to worry about visas.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Sorry to hear you're under siege from depression, but kudos for sticking with your exercises and getting out of the house! Sounds like a you've got a good plan to balance out travel, adventure, and self-care. I hope things start to level out for you soon. /hugs.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:00 PM, BitterOyster said:

Despite hearing it a zillion times, light exercise like walking doesn't really seem to help me, shorter bursts of intense activity do

Light exercise doesn't seem to help me either.  I've always had to do something like strenuous running, lifting, or hitting a heavy bag to really get the neuro-chemical effects needed to counteract my depression.  Excited to follow your adventure!

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

14 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Sorry to hear you're under siege from depression, but kudos for sticking with your exercises and getting out of the house! Sounds like a you've got a good plan to balance out travel, adventure, and self-care. I hope things start to level out for you soon. /hugs.

Luckily the next week I am house sitting for my parents with a dog and garden to look after so that will keep me up and about. Also, they're in a very small town and I just found out the local gym moved to a larger premises much closer to the house, how lucky am I? :)

I feel like I've pretty much wasted my first two weeks, and I'm wondering how much progress I can really make in the two weeks I have left, since Week 4 will only be a short week before I leave. It's scared me to realise how much cardio fitness I lost while busy at my old job - I was careful to keep up my weights routine but I drove everywhere because I felt like I had no time. I have heard it's easier to regain a previous level of fitness than to gain a new one though?

But, getting back into a routine of getting up early will be helpful for WWOOFing, and I can definitely do that in two weeks. If I take the dog on a route with a big hill that should help. And I can still start a bodyweight routine and do some work in the garden, even if not as much. And swimming!

eta: I did go for a swim earlier this week! With a 5min drive there is actually an ocean inlet area with little to no current, I used to play there as a kid so I never thought of swimming laps, but apparently lots of seniors go down in the morning and do laps - that is so much cooler than a pool, you get to see fish, no chlorine and no entrance fee!

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

I did well today! It took me a while to get going this morning, but I did a couple of things around the house, some bodyweight exercises, and took the dog for a walk including coming back via The Hill of Doom (it's like Mount Doom but smaller and with less lava). I had to stop twice on the way up to catch my breath, but that's better than it could have been, and I felt such a sense of accomplishment when I made it to the top. Let's see if I can reduce the number of stops to 1 and then 0. Bonus quest: post some photos, this place is RIDICULOUSLY scenic.

Now I'm psyching myself up to go to the shops and stock up on healthy food.

Exercises today:

10 pushups

4x5 resistance band pullaparts

some band dislocations

3x12 band deadlifts

40sec wall sit

These are the metaphorical boots with which I kicked today's butt:

10254b49f1163c75bb7d8e44d8701b3c.jpg

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13