Dagger Shifts Priority Temporarily

Dagger

Happy 2017, everyone!

A new year is upon us and I have made a list of my 2017 goals, which you can find on my mostly dormant battle log.

I've decided to call 2017 "The Year of Fitness" (yes, capitalization is needed!).

That means that fitness will always be my first/main goal for each challenge.

Also, a little about me:

• I found NF in April/May 2016 by reading Steve's book
  • I've been doing challenges since June last year
  • Last year I found a purpose for my life: becoming a nomad, aka go long term traveling. I am still setting this up. I have a house to sell, stuff to cull, things to do, and people to tell. This is generally my second focus/goal of each challenge
  • I'm a writer (fiction) by profession and have two short stories coming out in anthologies in March and May (all the pubs for this year that I know about so far, hoping for more sales!)
  • I'm Swedish, but speak English fluently if that wasn't evident

Eeeeh... That is enough. You can find links to my original introduction post and other important forum threads in my signature.

Onward to discussing goals and such for this challenge!

~*~*~*~*~*~

The priority shift this challenge is that Studying will take priority over Becoming Nomadic stuff. This is because I have such a mountain of study stuff.

raw

My main objective is to work on not getting overwhelmed with the study stuff I have to do. I've had similar work loads in the past and gotten completely burned out by it. I've worked on energy and emotion management since then though and hope I can stay emotionally stable and keep from getting exhausted. Basically I want to skip this stage (ignore the text):

raw

Fitness

I'll have two goals here. For me, fitness is both movement and nutrition/eating/dieting (as in what I eat, not going on a diet).

Main goal is to walk with a step goal each day. I did 4500 steps the last week of the previous challenge, and I will keep with that goal and maybe raise it to 5000 steps during the challenge depending on if I keep my current walking streak of 6 days in a row and hopefully counting.

Second goal is to not buy any soda. During Christmas in Sweden, we have this awesome soda called julmust. And while I've mostly quit drinking soda, I've been drinking quite a bit of julmust and I've let myself drink more soda or soda-like (non-alcoholic cider) than I've meant to. But I set the goal as not buying, because I want to finish what I have at home over the next week or so.

Basically, not buying means I will not buy any more soda either to take home or at restaurants and I've set a tentative "end" date of my birthday. Not saying I'll suddenly drink soda after that, but if the habit of not buying is established by then, I don't have to keep tracking it. I will have an exception to buying if I find a new interesting one to try. I like trying new things.

You might also have noticed I said I won't buy, but nothing about drinking. Basically, I mean that if someone offers me soda and it would be too impolite to say no or just too much trouble to say no, it is alright to drink it. Plus I can finish what I have in my fridge without guilt.

Another exception is if I can't get water, not sure this would be the case any time, but I thought I'd mention it.

Sometimes I want flavor to what I drink, and in that case I will focus on adding lemon/lime juice to the water (or finishing off what I already have). Occasionally I'll get flavored fizzy water because I want the bubbles. I will also not buy/drink much cider (that is about the only alcohol I buy for myself and even that is rarely) because it is almost like soda.

So much writing about the secondary goal, lol. But it needed more explaining.

tenor.gif

Studying

Okay, so here is the list of workshops/courses I will be working on this challenge:

• Last four stories for upcoming Anthology in-person workshop (Feb/Mar). This means I write and submit one short story per week to a specific theme I learn on Mondays. (I can't talk about the themes or the stories because I don't know if anyone else who is going will read this, part of the rules for the workshop.)
  • Last two weeks of Writing Mysteries online workshop. This means ca 7 videos (ca 5-7 mins) to watch and take notes to per week, plus one assignment.
  • First five weeks of Character Development online workshop (then one last week after this challenge). This means ca 7 videos (ca 5-7 mins) to watch per week, plus one assignment per week.
  • Nourish Yourself course with Kate Marolt (Camp NF headmaster and yoga teacher in NF Yoga). I don't know everything this course entails, so I'll just create objectives as I figure it out. (Btw, you'll notice Kate will pop up quite a bit in my challenges. She's become one of my mentors, teaching me about emotional stability and techniques to feel better. Also, I'm going to her Costa Rica retreat in May this year, because COSTA RICA and KATE and AMY CLOVER (Camp NF headmaster).)

So four different workshops/courses I'm working on, all of them have weekly objectives of different kinds. Actually, I think Nourish Yourself will have daily objectives starting on January 8.

Basically a lot of different stuff. And this doesn't count the one off stuff I have. I have one of those on Jan 14.

raw

Becoming Nomadic

So this one is taking a backseat this challenge. Or is it?

The last couple of challenges, I've been working more or less daily to advance towards the date when I'm free to go. I've been reading and researching, checking off some to dos and started the ball rolling in some areas.

During this challenge I will however start tackling a very important beast. I will start to go through my possessions and choose: sell (if I get off my butt and do it), charity, trash or keep. I need to downsize as small as possible and then probably halve what I try to keep. Basically right now, I'm looking at storing a couple of boxes with my parents (if they agree) and some books (perhaps a box or two) with a friend (she's agreed because I've asked). I also get to keep anything I plan to carry around with me (duh).

So I will start this. I expect it to be tough at times. So I've set the goal low. Each day, starting from Week 1, I will take one item and decide what to do with it. This means even if I've forgotten or avoided all day, I can do it right before I sleep.

Zero Week will be different though. I have some leftover tasks I want to get done, and I have some prep tasks to tackle the culling/decluttering/clearing/whatever-the-f*ck-to-call-it (yes, I occasionally swear).

The culling will be a tough task, at least with some items.

raw

~*~*~*~*~*~

The next post will hold weekly reports. Basically putting my exact objectives for each week and being able to use them for reporting my progress. Also, this challenge will start already in Zero Week, because so much stuff.

Things+to+Do+and+Time.jpg

I will strive to update daily, because I follow through the best then. I'm also striving to add in more gifs and pictures (I like when others do it, so I guess I can too to entertain others). Another striving will be to not only read and like (to show I've read), but actually post more in other people's challenge; it isn't that I haven't been posting, but I want to do more of it.

• Like 14

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Zero Week

Fitness

1. 4500 steps per day: 6/7
  2. Buying no soda: 7 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 3 day streak (started on Friday of Zero Week)

Studying

1. Write 1 short story for Anthology: 0/1
  2. Writing Mystery videos: 7/7
  3. Writing Mystery assignment: 1/1
  4. Character Development videos: 7/7
  5. Character Development assignment: 1/1
  6. Nourish Yourself intentions ritual: 1/1
  7. Nourish Yourself figure out mantra: 1/1
  8. Nourish Yourself nourishment definition: 0/1 — Started
  9. Nourish Yourself additional ritual (letting go of stuff): 0/1

Becoming Nomadic

1. Set up bags/boxes for sell, charity, trash and keep: 4/4
  2. Do Nourish Yourself ritual to start detaching from my stuff: 0/1

~*~*~*~*~*~

Week 1

Fitness

1. 4500 steps per day: 4/7
  2. Buying no soda: 14 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 10 day streak

Studying

1. Write 1 short story for Anthology: 1/1
  2. Writing Mystery videos: 1/6
  3. Character Development videos: 8/8
  4. Character Development assignment: 0/1
  5. Nourish Yourself nourishment definition: 1/1
  6. Nourish Yourself creating your 40 day practice: 1/1
  7. Nourish Yourself first four days of 40 day practice: 4/4
  8. Activate Your Vision 3-hour workshop/video call, Jan 14: 1/1

Becoming Nomadic

1. Pick minimum one item and put it in a box every day: 7/7
  2. Pick up new IDs: 3/3

~*~*~*~*~*~

Week 2

Fitness

1. Daily movement: 6/7
  2. Buying no soda: 21 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 17 day streak

Studying

1. Write 1 short story for Anthology: 1/1
  2. Character Development assignment (last week): 1/1
  3. Character Development videos: 7/7
  4. Character Development assignment (this week): 0/1
  5. Writing Mystery videos: 6/6
  6. Nourish Yourself 40 day practice: 7/7
  7. Nourish Yourself additional thing on one day: 1/1
  8. Nourish Yourself additional tasks Kate might/will assign: 1/1
  9. Activate Your Vision, look over worksheet from call: 1/1

Becoming Nomadic

1. Pick minimum one item and put it in a box every day: 6/6

Misc

1. Book last few things for Feb/Mar USA trip: 5/5
  2. Change Insurance company: 1/1
  3. Packing for trip: 1/1
  4. Travel day to friend (Sunday, leave home 11:00): 1/1

~*~*~*~*~*~

Week 3

Fitness

2. Buying no soda: 28 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 24 day streak

Studying

2. Character Development videos: 4/7
  3. Character Development assignment: 0/1
  4. Nourish Yourself 40 day practice: 7/7
  5. Nourish Yourself extra ritual/meditation: 2/1
  6. Nourish Yourself modules: 2/2

Becoming Nomadic

1. Pick minimum one item and put it in a box every day: 0/4 — Becoming ill made it easier to just strike this goal for the week

Misc

1. Days at friend's place: 2/2
  2. Travel day: 1/1
  3. Handymen visits: 2/2

~*~*~*~*~*~

Week 4

Fitness

2. Buying no soda: 35 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 31 day streak

Studying

1. Nourish Yourself 40 day practice: 7/7
  2. Nourish Yourself extra ritual/meditation: 3/3
  3. Nourish Yourself modules: 0/1
  4. Nourish Yourself call: 1/1
  5. Read Anthology workshop stories (ca 10 per day): 27/60
  6. Character Development rest of last week's videos: 3/3
  7. Character Development videos: 4/8
  8. Character Development assignment: 0/1
  9. Character Development old missed assignment, hoping for feedback on that instead: 1/1
  10. Read 8 chapters of the tarot book story: 8/8

Becoming Nomadic

1. Pick minimum one item and put it in a box every day: 6/7

Misc

1. Domestic bliss, finish a list of tasks I made: 0.5/1
  • Like 6

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

You're so organized and I'm jealous. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

41 minutes ago, fleaball said:

You're so organized and I'm jealous. 

My first instinct was to laugh. Then I looked at my list of goals/objectives and realized you are right.

Which considering I have an organized kitchen and always try to make sure stuff have a specific place to be means it was a strange reaction. I am organized most of the time.

Maybe it is because I look at my list for Zero Week and I wonder if it is insanity. Insanity never feels organized.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dagger said:

My first instinct was to laugh. Then I looked at my list of goals/objectives and realized you are right.

Which considering I have an organized kitchen and always try to make sure stuff have a specific place to be means it was a strange reaction. I am organized most of the time.

Maybe it is because I look at my list for Zero Week and I wonder if it is insanity. Insanity never feels organized.

Ha! I mean yeah, you've got a lot going on for sure. But you've seen the word vomit my challenges can be. =P I'm all "I guess I'll do a thing?" and your stuff is very "I'm gonna do X thing Y times because Z." I know we all have different styles but right now I kinda want to be you when I grow up.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

I know we all have different styles but right now I kinda want to be you when I grow up.

:wub: Thanks, that is like the best compliment I've gotten in a while. 

• Like 1

Daily Report, 2017-01-02

raw

Fitness

1. 4500 steps per day: 1/7
  2. Buying no soda: 1 day streak

Studying

2. Writing Mystery videos: 0/7
  3. Writing Mystery assignment: 0/1
  4. Character Development videos: 0/7
  5. Character Development assignment: 0/1
  6. Nourish Yourself intentions ritual: 0/1
  7. Nourish Yourself figure out mantra: 0/1
  8. Nourish Yourself additional ritual: 0/1
  9. Nourish Yourself day one stuff: 0/X (Jan 8, first day of the 40 day practice of the course that I don't know yet what it means)
  10. Nourish Yourself potentially other tasks that will show up during the week: ???

(Shit, this list is long.)

Becoming Nomadic

1. Go pick up new passport and ID card: 0/1
  2. Contact remaining companies on list about name change: 0/1 (done or not done)
  3. Set up bags/boxes for sell, charity, trash and keep: 4/4
  4. Do Nourish Yourself ritual to start detaching from my stuff: 0/1 (dual purpose, both nomadic and study based, might count as the additional ritual)
  5. (Optional) Move information from travel info books to appropriate docs (lists and to-dos): 0/2

Side Note

Shit, that is kind of not enough done for my first day. I had plans and got derailed by two things: stupid update on iPhone made me have to do lots of worthless shit that I then had to deactivate, and Rising Heroes (aka the new NF thing).

I decided to join to check it out for the first two months, if it helps beyond just being a fun narrative to read (one of the main reasons I joined) I'll stay.

Of course, I couldn't do any of the workshop stuff, and only just got the theme for this week's story. But it would have been good to check of a Nourish Yourself task.

At least I got texts saying my passport and ID is ready, so I can go get them when I have time.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

Impressive goals, based on some deep reflection.  Happy New Year and good luck with the first challenge! :D 

Thank you so much! Right now, I really feel like I need that luck.

Forgot gif to describe day:

raw

Also edited into the actual post, since I realized no one will have read it yet (posted like four minutes ago...).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bouncer the Resilient said:

I see the system of you knowing what are doing, so I give you luck for your long list!

Thanks. I feel a little less overwhelmed today, but only from time to time. I knew this would be a tough month for study overwhelm, I didn't quite expect it to show up already.

• Like 3

Following! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Daily Report, 2017-01-03

tenor.gif

Fitness

1. 4500 steps per day: 2/7
  2. Buying no soda: 2 day streak

Studying

2. Writing Mystery videos: 1/7
  3. Writing Mystery assignment: 0/1
  4. Character Development videos: 0/7
  5. Character Development assignment: 0/1
  6. Nourish Yourself intentions ritual: 1/1
  7. Nourish Yourself figure out mantra: 0/1
  8. Nourish Yourself additional ritual (letting go of stuff): 0/1
  9. Nourish Yourself day one: 0/1
  10. Nourish Yourself potentially other tasks that will show up during the week: ??? — I'll add it if it comes.

(Shit, this list is long.) Writing shit like that doesn't help me, does it? (Will delete tomorrow.) Actually, I also went through and did some adjustments.

Becoming Nomadic

1. Go pick up new passport and ID card: 0/1
  2. Contact remaining companies on list about name change: 0/1 — To ease some of the overwhelm I'm feeling for this, I'm just nuking this. Yes, it needs to happen, but I have too much mental/emotional energy tasks already this week.
  3. Set up bags/boxes for sell, charity, trash and keep: 4/4
  4. Do Nourish Yourself ritual to start detaching from my stuff: 0/1
  5. (Optional) Move information from travel info books to appropriate docs (lists and to-dos): 0/2 — I'll just scratch through this one too, same reason as above.

Side Note

Snowing... Took walk in snow. It is -6C; it is cold. But still kinda nice.

You'll see above I've made some adjustments to my week. It is only Tuesday but I've been feeling since yesterday that there is no way I can do all that stuff. Realistically I know I could, but not while I'm worrying about it. So I've deleted three tasks (one was the optional) and feel lighter already.

Anyone who's followed me for a while knows I make adjustments to my challenges as I go. Lately I've had to do less of them, mostly because I've set such small goals. This week and the coming ones I really can't, which is why I made really small goals outside the Studying category.

I also think it helped that I didn't set exact goals for any given week until I was upon it during the previous challenge. So that is what I will do this time too.

Also, know that if enough snow comes, I'll count snow shoveling as "4500 steps". That goal is mainly about getting moving. Although, considering I'm working on a streak, I might just walk too. :)

It was after my afternoon walk that I went through and scratched some of the objectives for this week. Then I gamed a little (Mario Run) and then I read until I got so sleepy I thought I'd just close my eyes for a minute.

Two hours later I woke up. I guess I really needed that.

After dinner I finally tackled figuring out my intentions for the Nourish Yourself course. It was cathartic and makes me think I might have to rename my year. But I will think more on that privately, with just me, myself and I, before bringing anyone else in.

So today turned into a day of unplanned relaxing, with a small dose of productive. Just enough that I feel confident that this week can happen. (Yes, my mood totally changed after doing the intentions for Nourish Yourself and I'm not going to edit this post that I've been writing throughout the day.

Giving myself to space to light a candle, slow down, breathe, do a task, finish it, give thanks, and blow out the candle, is really nice. That is what a ritual is in the Nourish Yourself course; well, the basic formula for it. I really like that.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

Following! 

32 minutes ago, Altamarie said:

Following! :)

raw

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Casbin said:

Hey, it really sound like you got a lot on your plate!

Do you have a plan which once you want to tackle first?

Regards

Casbin

Hi Casbin!

Yes and no. I plan to tackle the workshop stuff next although I haven't decided which day I'll go and get my passport that will be tomorrow or Thursday. Then short story. And Nourish Yourself wherever I fit it in basically.

This is the order I know will make me stress the least, but I imagine I'll be somewhat crunching during the weekend for the short story.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Casbin said:

Ok, this sounds really interesting...

There is also a spot in the beginning to ask yourself, your higher self and/or some kind of other power for energy/guidance/whatever you need, and then at the end of the ritual when giving thanks, you thank whoever you called for help for their assistance.

A few years ago... actually a few months ago I would have called that woo-woo or "magic". But I've recognized that asking myself for the energy or guidance or so, really does help to focus me down. So does asking like the energy in the room to help me. I don't really believe that kind of stuff, but I recognize that doing it helps me focus in, and it helps me feel more relaxed and open and ready to do what the ritual asks me to do. So whether it is woo-woo or not doesn't matter, it does the job.

• Like 2

Well done crossing off some stuff and freeing up mental space. Also keep us posted on how the Nourish Yourself thing goes because I am super intrigued now.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 minute ago, fleaball said:

Well done crossing off some stuff and freeing up mental space. Also keep us posted on how the Nourish Yourself thing goes because I am super intrigued now.

Thanks.

And I can do that!

So the first thing I did, which was last week so it isn't on the list here, was to Take Inventory. Or so the worksheet was called. Basically it asked me to talk about what my relationship was with eight different areas of my life. And it asked how they looked now, not what they have looked like (past) or what I want them to look like (future). The eight areas are: physical/body, mental, emotional, spiritual, environment, financial, creative, and relationships. Then it had some additional things with those, such as rating them from 1-10 on super bad to dream come true good (paraphrasing!).

It was very informative, which sounds too stiff. Revealing is a better word. It showed me where I feel I need the most work, where I had coasted, and where I had improved quite a bit in the last few months (basically since meeting Kate).

So there you have a little about the first task.

I also tried to find if Kate had an article about some ritual, but couldn't find one. I might ask her and then I can share if with you guys so you can get how she explains it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Casbin said:

Well, THAT is a solid plan, one thing at a time.

Thanks. It has taken time to figure it out, but it worked well last challenge so I feel confident it will again.

6 minutes ago, Casbin said:

If the Nourish your life tasks are like the ritual above they might present a nice break inbetween?

You're actually quite close to my intentions there. The answer is: yes. Nourish Yourself course is very much a nice break and a space to breathe.

6 minutes ago, Casbin said:

Honestly, does it matter if it's magic, energie or applied physics? If it works it's worth a shot, well and I can't disregard it as impossible.

Thanks, you said what I tried to say. Basically, I don't know what it is or if it matters. It works, so I'm happy.

• Like 1

lololol it suddenly occurs to me that I am a moron. Is it all about taking care of yourself in general? Because I read "nourish" and automatically thought food. I know it can be used in other contexts but that totally never occured to me. Womp. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi