Dagger Shifts Priority Temporarily

Dagger

5 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I think it depends more on our definition of capacity. :chuncky:

I definitely see what you mean. And what you've said makes a lot of sense if capacity is both productivity and rest.

Now my brain have something more to think about. Because now it is wondering if thinking about productivity isolated from rest is actually a useful concept. Because as I described above, part of my increased productivity is due to better rest methods. So if capacity is only productivity, then that rest component doesn't really apply.

I can feel my brain expanding. (Remind me to talk more about Nourish Yourself stuff and expanding when I have time. Another thing for the list... *sigh* only so many hours in a day.)

• Like 5

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

I came home and this thread had totally blown up! Really interesting to read.

analogies.jpg

The way I read it, @Sylvaa is using the word capacity to mean a resource very much like time. And she's saying that one person might use 6 hours of their day productively, and 18 hours in rest or non-productivity, and another person's ratio might be more like 12/12 or 16/8 - but at the end of the day we're all limited by the same finite cap. Like, imagine we're all born with an invisible backpack exactly the same size. And every day we choose what to put in the backpack: work, or naps, or school, or dates, or video games, or whatever. And the choices are infinite but the bag is the same size for everyone. And Sylvaa says that sometimes depression or other factors mean that you need to put more rest into the backpack each day (thus leaving less room for anything else) but the size of the backpack doesn't change. 

I'm familiar with the spoon theory and I think it relates to what Dagger is saying: that for her it feels like sometimes she doesn't have a choice in how the time is used. Like, someone with depression might wake up in the morning and find that 75% of their backpack is already filled with a mandatory chunk of "sit around feeling awful and unable to do anything." And it's frustrating. Because a depressed person doesn't feel like they chose to put that in the backpack. It's just there, every day, taking up space, making it really hard to find energy or time for other things. And I think when Dagger is talking about increasing her capacity, she's talking about increasing the percentage of space in the backpack that she gets to choose how to fill. She doesn't want more time and energy necessarily, she just wants more time and energy to feel genuinely under her control.

For many of us there are other things in the backpack that are mostly non-negotiable, absent extreme life changes. Like child care, going to work, sleeping at night, etc. But I think that's a different phenomenon from when depression is taking up space. Things like work and child care are inherently productive and valuable, and help build a quality life. Depression takes up a bunch of non-negotiable space with...well, mostly a lot of nothing.

And like both Sylvaa and Dagger said, it's complicated, because sometimes if you allocate too few resources to rest in favour of productive tasks like work, you get stressed out and you end up shooting yourself in the foot: your body puts its foot down, and makes you sick or burns you out. And then while you recover, you have a bunch of non-negotiable recovery taking up space in your backpack every day.

Plus different things are different levels of difficulty for different people, and at different times. So like, if you're just starting to exercise and it's scary and you're nervous and out of shape and everything is hard, finding space for "do a 30 min workout" in your backpack can be really hard because it's super over-inflated, like it's in too much packaging. So it takes up more space. Later, after you're good at it and it becomes routine, you learn to pack it better, smaller, more efficiently, so it takes up way less room and you barely notice it's in the backpack and you have room for other things.

And I think that might be part of what Sylvaa is getting at - for almost everyone who's not a genius prodigy, new things are always hard to fit into one's life, and it takes time to get it integrated. It's really empowering to remember that the more we practice or prioritize something, the more likely we'll find a way to make it fit. But there are always choices involved, always trade-offs.

And obviously so many factors make certain things easier or harder for people to fit in. Mental health issues make a lot of mundane things take up way more space in the backpack. Being poor, likewise. Like...when I was a kid, "get groceries" for my mother meant getting 3 little kids ready to go out, walking to the bus station, taking one bus, transferring, and then another bus, to get to the store. And then carrying it all home on the bus in a bundle buggy. Getting groceries took like 3 hours with kids whining the whole time.

And sometimes it's past experiences or personality. Like making new friends might be an easy goal for an extrovert and a terrifying endeavour that requires a lot of dedicated energy for a shy person. So although we all have the same hours in the day, the same task can still have wildly different costs for different people.

In our household, we talk about something called a "spoon edge" (named after an "edge" roleplaying rule mechanic in Numenera) where, for example, L can cook dinner at a cost of 1 spoon because L loves cooking and is very skilled at it. Meanwhile cooking dinner would cost me or D like 4-5 spoons. I can mow the lawn for like...half a spoon. But for L or D it'd be a huge and unpleasant effort. I hate grocery shopping and so does L, but D finds it pleasant and cheerfully does all of it (he calls it "running missions"). So we try as much as possible to allocate chores/tasks to people who are good at them or find them inoffensive or fun. It means all of us get to fit more of the stuff we want into our backpacks.

Like Dagger, one of my goals is to find ways to increase the amount of space in the backpack that feels truly under my control. And for me that mostly means battling anxiety, staying organized, having a schedule, doing self-care stuff like sleeping and exercising and eating well so I have the maximum amount of energy, etc. 

• Like 9

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

*casually adds "Severine's backpack theory" to wikipedia* 

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

12 minutes ago, fleaball said:

*casually adds "Severine's backpack theory" to wikipedia* 

Hahaha, I would cut you.

giphy.gif

I'm not ready for the public eye!

• Like 3

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
19 minutes ago, Severine said:

I'm familiar with the spoon theory and I think it relates to what Dagger is saying: that for her it feels like sometimes she doesn't have a choice in how the time is used. Like, someone with depression might wake up in the morning and find that 75% of their backpack is already filled with a mandatory chunk of "sit around feeling awful and unable to do anything." And it's frustrating. Because a depressed person doesn't feel like they chose to put that in the backpack. It's just there, every day, taking up space, making it really hard to find energy or time for other things. And I think when Dagger is talking about increasing her capacity, she's talking about increasing the percentage of space in the backpack that she gets to choose how to fill. She doesn't want more time and energy necessarily, she just wants more time and energy to feel genuinely under her control.

I had literal tears in my eyes when I read this, because this is exactly it. I want to gain back the space in my backpack. I want it to not be filled with stupid amounts of packing peanuts.

PS. This is a good analogy.

• Like 5

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

5 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I had literal tears in my eyes when I read this, because this is exactly it. I want to gain back the space in my backpack. I want it to not be filled with stupid amounts of packing peanuts.

I know what you need!

giphy.gif

The great thing is that you are totally doing it. You've already reclaimed so much energy and power. And you're wisely using the energy you have to nurture and love yourself and make positive changes so that you build it up more and more. You just need to keep putting in the really admirable work you're already doing, and believe in yourself, continue to challenge yourself, stay introspective and adjust the process as needed. You'll get where you want to be. You're already on the way!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Severine said:

I know what you need!

giphy.gif

The great thing is that you are totally doing it. You've already reclaimed so much energy and power. And you're wisely using the energy you have to nurture and love yourself and make positive changes so that you build it up more and more. You just need to keep putting in the really admirable work you're already doing, and believe in yourself, continue to challenge yourself, stay introspective and adjust the process as needed. You'll get where you want to be. You're already on the way!

For you:

raw

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Severine said:

Hahaha, I would cut you.

giphy.gif

I'm not ready for the public eye!

Then I'll frame it and stick it on my wall til you're ready. Because that was so good. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

So I want to do an independent report on my progress or rather lack of progress on my short story. This will also be me going through reading and answering the questions @Severine asked in her reply above (I will be quoting as I need). But I thought I'd start with some free flow thinking.

This week feels like a lot of crap so far. Or perhaps the last two days more like. Brainstorming is sometimes an activity I need to jump start the brain to get a spark for a story, but it can easily become a procrastination task. Or the lack of a "proper" spark will cause me to procrastinate because it is much harder to start a story when I have no idea what drives it. (The spark can btw look very different from story to story.)

This leads me to today. More brainstorming in the morning where I got a loose possible idea that I can use, and I got another idea that I don't know how to execute currently so it is on hold until I do (I'm guessing it will suddenly come out like a lightning from clear sky, but obviously I can't decide when that happens).

I'm trying to be a professional writer, that means I don't only work when I'm inspired. Being inspired is nice and all and when a story comes like lightning from the sky I love it. But that is not the only time I love writing. Or if it is, then I should really find another way to create the majority of my income because inspiration is not an every day thing.

So I feel like crap right now, because despite brainstorming, a story is not clicking or sparking. And that means I need to just get down and dirty and try it. And this is when the biggest procrastination monster hits. If it is hard on a normal day to just sit down and write when I feel ok about it. It is exhausting to just think about it when I know it'll feel like walking in mud. Every word sticking to my fingers and making the next word so much harder.

Part of that is that I'm really seeing Saturday as my deadline and that means I have Friday and Saturday to write it and if I'm realistic I know I'll be better of if I start writing it today. Another part is that it was and is an experiment to ask for deadline motivation help or lets say a celebration for hitting a deadline. I haven't worked that well with it in the past, and I guess I wanted to see if I'd changed and could use it to my advantage since I continue to hear the gospel of public accountability being THE thing for motivation. (Btw, I call bullshit on that, not for this specific instance, but in general. People are different and get motivated by different things. I tell my parents something I will do and you can be sure it'll happen next century if I'm lucky.)

So I guess I challenged myself to use it. I do however like how it has shifted the deadline to Saturday for me.

I do not like the stress and overwhelm I feel.

The reason I've been doing pretty well the last few weeks is because I've carefully managed my level of overwhelm so it never reached critical mass and when it did I cut tasks. This means that on any given day I'd ask myself "which task should I complete to reduce the amount of overwhelm?", and the answer to that is the workshop videos because despite the fact that they aren't that time consuming or stressful in themselves, they take a lot of effort out of me: learning and just general frustration with taking notes and pausing and starting the video and just previous memories of especially frustrating videos.

But this week, due to my Saturday deadline, I don't feel like I can make the call in the same way. I need to do the short story and this constant demand runs in the back of my head. And it really isn't helping. I don't think because it is hard to relax into writing when I have pressure on it. When I think of it as work.

Because seriously, making shit up and writing it down isn't hard. Not physically hard and not mentally hard once I get over the hurdle of sitting down (meaning the writing isn't hard, getting to the writing is).

So this leads me into the article from Severine and her questions. I'll start by discussing/quoting some parts of the article I found really relevant.

Here is the link again if anyone needs it.

All told, these qualities have led researchers to call procrastination the “quintessential” breakdown of self-control.

I'd certainly agree with this.

Social scientists debate whether the existence of this gap can be better explained by the inability to manage time or the inability to regulate moods and emotions. 

See the later for the truth, or at least it is the truth in my case.

The idea is that procrastinators calculate the fluctuating utility of certain activities: pleasurable ones have more value early on, and tough tasks become more important as a deadline approaches.

This quote was in reference to procrastination being the inability to manage time. Saying that the reason I procrastinated was because I calculated that what I did instead had more value is bullshit. I could see through my own mental reasoning that was thin as tissue. It was an excuse nothing more.

Psychologists like Ferrari and Pychyl, on the other hand, see flaws in such a strictly temporal view of procrastination. For one thing, if delay were really as rational as this utility equation suggests, there would be no need to call the behavior procrastination — on the contrary, time-management would fit better. Beyond that, studies have found that procrastinators carry accompanying feelings of guilt, shame, or anxiety with their decision to delay. This emotional element suggests there’s much more to the story than time-management alone. 

Yes to the guilt, the same and the anxiety. Procrastination has and does wreck my life. I have it more under control now than I did before, which we'll get to from the quotes below, but I've never found that procrastination actually made me feel better. It truly is the dark playground that Wait But Why describes in his articles about procrastination (Part 1 and Part 2).

“Emotional regulation, to me, is the real story around procrastination, because to the extent that I can deal with my emotions, I can stay on task,” says Pychyl. “When you say task-aversiveness, that’s another word for lack of enjoyment. Those are feeling states — those aren’t states of which [task] has more utility.”

I can definitely say that beating down or winning over or stopping procrastination early have gotten easier as I've started to feel better. The better I can overall take care of my mental and emotional state, the better I deal with procrastination.

the best personal remedy for procrastination might actually be self-forgiveness. A couple years ago, Pychyl joined two Carleton University colleagues and surveyed 119 students on procrastination before their midterm exams. The research team, led by Michael Wohl, reported in a 2010 issue of Personality and Individual Differences that students who forgave themselves after procrastinating on the first exam were less likely to delay studying for the second one.

I agree with this too. That it is in forgiving myself when I procrastinate that I let go of the feelings of shame and guilt and anxiety, and when I let go of those I have an easier time getting the procrastinated task done.

I'll also say that the more capacity I get in my life, the more spoons I get back into my use, the better I deal with procrastination. So procrastination is also a factor when it came to how I could handle every day tasks. My lack of spoons made me procrastinate which created guilt, shame, and anxiety which further reduced my number of spoons and the ever lower number of spoons made me procrastinate more and... You see the cycle.

And for anyone who thinks true procrastination is resting, they aren't chronic procrastinators. Because as the article says, it creates feelings of shame, guilt and anxiety.

Towards the end of the article (I didn't quote and I'm too lazy to get it), it says that one of the solutions to procrastination is to find something in the task that you want to do. And I can see how this can be true of some things. Like when I can focus in on the reason I love writing and how freeing and nice it can be, it can be easier to get into the chair to write, but it isn't reliable. And then there are all the tasks that has no pleasure in them that I procrastinate on like calling electricians to come fix problems in my house. Especially if something vital isn't broken. If something vital is broken, then yes, the pleasure of having it fixed will get me to call... But if it isn't broken, if it is working and even if it is a temporary solution? There is no pleasure in getting that task done, neither the phone call or the actual fix. There is only the pain of the phone call, pain of having someone in the house, and pain of the bill.

Now how is seeing the light or pleasure or good thing about the task going to get me to do it? Bah humbug. That might be a solution for some procrastination, but not all.

~*~*~*~*~*~

So now, that I've managed to piss myself off at the end of an article that was generally very good and actually talked about procrastination in a way that reflects how I have experienced it, let us go to Severine's questions. (Actually, I'm pissed off that I have to make that stupid call to an electrician tomorrow or early next week. Because that was not a hypothetical situation. Although I haven't procrastinated on it yet.)

Oh there was one more thing about being a professional writer I wanted to mention and to find the originator of the quote I instead found several quotes from professional writers on inspiration. What they say is true in my opinion and something I aspire to.

19. Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the writer must develop an approach for the rest of the time. ~ Leonard Bernstein

20. Inspiration is a guest that does not willingly visit the lazy. ~ Pyotr Tchaikovsky

21. Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work. ~ Stephen King

22. I write when I’m inspired, and I see to it that I’m inspired at nine o’clock every morning. ~P eter De Vries

23. If you wait for inspiration to write; you’re not a writer, you’re a waiter. ~ Dan Poynter

I did just realize however that maybe working "despite" inspiration is like discipline or productivity or capacity. It is a muscle that need to be flexed and worked to help. Geez, there are so many muscles I have to grow. And we haven't even discussed my literal muscles (not at is literary muscles, but actual muscles on my body. :P ).

On 1/11/2017 at 4:19 AM, Severine said:

And I think there are two ways to look at it. You can say that you're more to blame because you knew it was coming and it still happened, or you can say that because you understand it well enough to predict and identify it, it'll be easier to change. I think the second way is a more constructive outlook :D

I agree that because I could see what I was doing, I've become better than when I'd do the same things but not be aware.

Awareness is the first step to changing. It is also the first step to learning something new, becoming aware of something you don't know or a technique you hadn't seen before (relevant for a lot of my writing craft workshops that are about awareness of what is possible so I can then work on achieving those skills).

I was wondering, for example, about your reasons for not starting the story in advance.

Always asking the easy questions, aren't you? :P (I need to inject some humor to more easily approach the subject.)

If we ignore all the legitimate reasons, like needing some time to think on the theme and such. The biggest "reason" was that I didn't have an idea I had fallen in love with. I didn't have an idea I felt excited about.

But this is also false because just like anything that we know we really like we might not like when thinking about or right before doing.

Example: When I book a trip I am excited. Then comes a time of waiting where my level of excitement will drop away until I can't generally feel it at all. For a while that trip will feel like work (even if all arrangements are done) and I'll wonder why I thought that was a good idea. If everything works well, the excitement will reappear before the trip starts, otherwise the flights and such will be a pain. But when I get to where I am going (barring bad stuff happening) I will be excited.

So I'm guessing this applies to writing. Or I should say I guess this applies to writing on an idea I'm not feeling at that moment (and haven't yet). But I can't really say because I can't remember if I've ever pushed through that feeling with an idea I haven't felt a good spark for.

But for writing on stories I've had that spark for I have pushed through the hard part of getting to the keyboard and when I have I have generally enjoyed myself.

So that was the main "reason". Beside some minor reasons or rather excuses, I don't think I have a reason that stand up past a very casual glance. Yes, I prioritized workshop stuff because I knew that would help with overwhelm during the weekend. And that could be seen as a reason for not starting the story, but I had both Friday and Saturday marked as days I would work on the story, but I didn't. I didn't push through to the keyboard. And the only reason I could give is that I didn't feel confident in the story, but I call at least half bullshit on that.

Edit: Okay, so a little further down I do mention another reason why I didn't finish the story, although I'm not sure if has anything to do with starting the story. I'll italics the part.

So I'm curious if you've done any serious thinking about the mechanics of your delay. How does it feel when you consider starting a daunting task? Have you paid attention to what happens, mentally/emotionally, between the moment when you think 'Hrm I should start on that' to the moment you decide 'Nah, later"? 

I don't think I've focused much on that. I know what procrastination feels like vs acceptably delaying a task until later (aka it doesn't fit the schedule currently). Procrastination comes with guilt and shame right on its heels. It is doing other things while feeling guilty although I don't feel quite as guilty or not guilty at all if I do other productive things. Which have been one of my ways to build up my productivity so I don't mind that yet, I'm guessing it will be something I'll have to work on eventually.

Some things I feel is like I'm not in the right mindset to start the task at that moment, which is 90% of the time bullshit. This usually means I pick up my iPad and play minigames or such to try and get rid of that feeling that isn't there to get rid off. What I'm really not "ready" for is to tackle the mental task of getting to the task. So it isn't so much doing the task as getting there, as getting started that is the hurdle.

Like I really don't like cleaning, but if I get started and makes sure not to be interrupted, I will do as much as I planned and I'll be happy a cleaned. But getting me to start? I need a good reason because by myself I'm not really bothered, right? Well, I am, but I don't yet have the cleaning muscles to get me past the hurdle.

Same with writing, with one exception. There is a skill I've been working on in writing since a year and a half ago. It has to do with openings of stories, chapters and such. My writing teachers call it depth. This is a skill I'm getting good at, but it doesn't feel automatic yet. It is still something I have to work at every time I do it.

This means that openings of stories are extra hard to get to, because I have to get over the hurdle of getting to the keyboard and then I have the hurdle of a skill I still have to work at. (This is also the reason I wrote about 500 words on last week's story and then didn't get back to it, because just after finishing the opening depth, the story demanded a change of scenery that means another 400ish words of depth. Basically hard skill and then hard skill again instead of some easier writing.)

I think that perhaps what I should focus on is how I feel when I get past the hurdle, what is different at that time than others. I really hope the answer isn't: the deadline looms too large. But that might be a reason some or most of the time, I just hope it isn't always.

~*~*~*~*~*~

So that is even more reflection and talking on an already talkative day. But I needed to do this. Because I hoped I'd find answers that would make it easier to get to writing this week. Especially since it feels like my week is slipping away from me.

But I have no good answers. I know it would have been good to write 250-500 words today of the opening. Probably an opening I would have thrown out (another reason I find openings hard, especially when I don't have a sense of the story, because that means my first attempt I'll be feeling my way and if I go at it until I find the way, then I can start over and do it right...)...

But that won't happen tonight, it is 22:30 and I'm planing a little Nourish Yourself because it'll be nice and then reading and trying to get to bed at a reasonable hour (read before 2 am) since I have for the last couple of days. Better keep the trend since I liked getting up around 9 instead of giving myself until 10 to get some sleep.

• Like 6

Daily Report, 2017-01-12

raw

If you feel like this today, I totally understand.

raw

So I don't believe in drinking at these kinds of moments, but I totally feel like more action could have happened today except at least some of the talking was necessary or it turned out super helpful so I can't really complain, but talking takes tiiiiiiime.

Fitness

1. 4500 steps per day: 2/7 — Nope
  2. Buying no soda: 11 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 7 day streak

Studying

1. Write 1 short story for Anthology: 0/1
  2. Writing Mystery videos: 1/6
  3. Character Development videos: 5/8
  4. Character Development assignment: 0/1
  5. Nourish Yourself nourishment definition: 1/1
  6. Nourish Yourself creating your 40 day practice: 1/1
  7. Nourish Yourself first four days of 40 day practice: 1/4
  8. Nourish Yourself additional ritual (letting go of stuff): 0/1
  9. Activate Your Vision 3-hour workshop/video call, Jan 14: 0/1

Becoming Nomadic

1. Pick minimum one item and put it in a box every day: 4/7
  2. Do Nourish Yourself ritual to start detaching from my stuff: 0/1
  3. Pick up new IDs: 3/3

Tasks I want to remember: contact companies about my name change, change insurance company, and move info from travel books to docs.

What was done on short story today? I brainstormed some more. And it feels like I got nowhere in the end. Still no spark if plenty of fizzle.

Side Note

New credit cards with new name arrived today. I called about electricity stupid stuff, but that only resulted in me needing to call an electrician... Which I decided will happen on Monday I believe.

I skipped the walk because it was either walk or do some workshop videos and I'm sad to say it wasn't all for one week. This week is just not shaping up as well as last, although I'll give myself that I didn't have a car errand last week (or rather I moved the car errand to this week and did it on Tuesday).

I can't believe it is only Jan 12, it feels like most of the month should have whizzed by, I guess that means I really have done more than I'm used to because my brain thinks the amount of stuff I've done should have taken more time. Score for me.

First day of the 40 day Nourish Yourself practice and I started strong with a morning invocation ritual (ca 15 mins). And that is my plan, to do that every morning although it will be either 5 or 15 minutes depending on which version I used.

I also stopped twice during the day to breathe and say my mantra to see if it worked to help calm boiling emotions. I'll say it was better than expected but it was probably mostly the breathing. I need to try and supercharge my mantra again.

I'm also planing to spend 5-15 minutes when I finish this, doing some kind of nourishment before I read and go to bed. Not sure what yet. Might just keep it informal and breathe some more, maybe light a candle and honor myself with reading. Who knows? I'll see.

At least I'm doing good with the going through my stuff. It is definitely more than one thing a day, but I still haven't finished with the Christmas tree. That will be tomorrow unless I'm pressed for time. 

Also, I'll mention that I can delay this week's Writing Mystery videos and depending on how it goes with the short story I might just do that. It is the last week of the workshop and no assignment the last week. And I'll have about two weeks after the workshop to review all weeks (I never do, because it is too close to finishing it to be useful for me).

I'm not glad that I'm having to choose between walking and studying, because I have to choose. My backpack was too fully to allow me to fit both in. Maybe if it was summer and not snow I'd take a quick evening walk, actually there is no maybe about it, I would; but it is winter and that means loads of clothes and all that so the walk takes more room in the backpack.

However, one change from previous years and such is that I recognize while it is fine to skip the walk one day or even two days in a row, it isn't a fine choice in the long run. In the long run it is bad for me to not get out and move (and generally my knees will tell me if I spend too much time on the couch). So I'll probably get to it tomorrow or Saturday latest. Actually on Saturday I will take a walk if I didn't on Friday because I'm not willing to prioritize other things above fitness for longer than two days in a row.

So I don't quite follow the "Never twice in a row" rebellion rule, but I'm close.

One last thing, a really good friend suddenly asked if I was available to come visit her end of next week and until middle of the week after (this be week's starting on Mondays btw). We generally see each other once a year so I said yes, and that means I'll spend quite a bit of time travel, and quite a bit of cash on it too. I decided to go with the more expensive travel options because they took less time (and trouble). But it still means interesting things for my challenge and I'll need to scale down my commitment on those days. I'll figure it out early next week when I plan for how to handle it.

But it would mean it would be a good precedent to finish the story on Saturday since next Sunday I'll be traveling for most of the day then spending time with my friend.

• Like 7

I will totally read this later but my brain is mush. But I'm acknowledging that you posted it. :)

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your thinking patterns. But I did want to comment on this:

15 hours ago, Dagger said:

Because seriously, making shit up and writing it down isn't hard. Not physically hard and not mentally hard once I get over the hurdle of sitting down (meaning the writing isn't hard, getting to the writing is).

I wonder if because you enjoy it, you don't give yourself enough credit for how mentally hard writing is.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, fleaball said:

I will totally read this later but my brain is mush. But I'm acknowledging that you posted it. :)

48 minutes ago, Altamarie said:

I read what you wrote and and am processing it. Will post again later but for now all the hugs!

Looking forward to both your takes. Also, all the hugs right back!

33 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your thinking patterns.

Right back at you. Seriously, I find it so helpful to share my thinking here because I get such thoughtful responses back.

34 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I wonder if because you enjoy it, you don't give yourself enough credit for how mentally hard writing is.

Maybe. I definitely know that the hardest part at the moment is getting to the chair, the next hardest is writing openings.

There is also a lot of mind games going on. The harder I think writing is, the harder it is to get to it. It is like dentist visits. If they were actually pleasant as well as helpful then I'd certainly have no problem going to them regularly, but since they aren't pleasant I'll put it off for as long as possible until the guilt of not going gets high enough (or until I get a real problem I suppose *knock on wood*).

So if I acknowledge writing is really hard, then I validate how hard it is to get to it, so I can more easily talk myself out of writing.

Another example: the best success I've had at creating a habit since joining NF has been to add back reading into my life. In my teens and into my earliest twenties I read all the time, every evening always. Then I got out of the habit, until I'd read in spurts of two to three weeks and then don't read for weeks and then read and not, read and not.

Getting reading back into my life was one of my first NF goals and while I don't strictly read every day anymore, I only miss for a couple of days at a time. I never really stop.

There might be more factors, but the main factor it has been so easy to stick to after the first couple of weeks is because I enjoy it so much. So very much.

The more I can focus on the positive of writing, the easier it will be to get in the habit when I have the time and focus to put that as my priority one.

And even now, when I remember how much fun writing in, when I really focus on that, that is usually what gets me over the hurdle except for a looming deadline which also works.

But I probably need to study my success with reading more and see if there is more than enjoyment behind it. Perhaps a history of having had the habit also helps and/or more stuff.

• Like 3

Alright. I copied your post into word so I could break it down piece by piece. On my own time during the day here :)

Response to @Severine's post:

Spoiler

I love this backpack analogy so much! And I agree with it and what @ Sylvaa said that some people need more rest into their backpack then others and how your feeling on a given day will impact that.

I also agree with that some days your backpack does come prefilled with packing peanuts shall we say of do nothing because you feel terrible, but it’s not your choice to do that and it’s hard to get those peanuts out of the bad but she is working towards that goal of having less peanuts and more space for what she wants.

I also agree with everyone that rest and productivity go hand in hand because like Severine said if you don’t rest enough your body makes you and then you have almost no space while you recover. I like the example of difficulty of things and how that effects there size and as you master them you basically learn to vacuum seal them into your bag so that they take up less room.

I also love how in your house you allocate chores based on what will fit well with each person and I really need to look into implementing that in my house.

I too, as you two are, am trying to make more space in my backpack in much the same way. I am working toward establishing routines so that those tasks can be decreased in space and be a nice foundation. I am also working on organizing and tracking so that things are not so overwhelming right off the bat. J

Dagger, you have made so much progress just in the few challenges I have followed. Be proud of yourself and keep moving forward

Response to Dagger's Response to Severine:

Spoiler

First off I am sorry this week feels like crap. That always makes things harder. As a writer myself I know exactly what you mean about sparks and how easy and hard it is to wait for them and hope they catch fire. Sadly though sometimes we must start without the spark and hope it shows up as we sit down to the keyboard.

Your right as well when you say when there is no spark it is like walking through mud and it sticks to you, but just maybe if you have an idea rattling around but aren’t sure about maybe once you get going it will click and spark and away you will go. Maybe, if possible just sit down and start typing in general or a general outline of some sort of plat and see what finds you? I know that is not super helpful but it’s something I plan on trying when I get stuck, is just writing whatever I can cause at least it gets things moving.

Public motivation is not best for everyone, you are right there. Maybe it will help you in this instance though because if you make it we will all be genuinely super excited for you and if you don’t make it we will be here with all the hugs for you some more.

I am sorry that this is causing undue overwhelm for you and that the deadline is making things feel like work and extra work at that but you have come a long way and I believe you can do it, but if you feel yourself at the tipping point don’t be afraid to step back and take a break.

For some reason the link won’t work for me so that is sad, but I will try to respond based on what you quoted.

I agree with you Dagger that I feel like it is the latter in that it is (inability to regulate moods and emotions).

18 hours ago, Dagger said:

This quote was in reference to procrastination being the inability to manage time. Saying that the reason I procrastinated was because I calculated that what I did instead had more value is bullshit. I could see through my own mental reasoning that was thin as tissue. It was an excuse nothing more.

I fully agree with you here some days maybe I mismanage my time, because doing whatever I did to procrastinate was more valuable, but most of the time I agree that this is not the case. I know I have spent time on stuff that is not more valuable because my body felt I needed it like a nap after work, where normally I would rather be cleaning.

I am glad it is getting easy for you! Yay for progress!!

I agree those of us who chronically procrastinate end up in a vicious cycle of shame and guilt that just makes it harder to complete the tasks. I have friends that procrastinate to rest, and they don’t feel guilt over it, but it’s not the same for them it’s truly to rest, so I think there are different way people procrastinate and how it affects them.

I’m sorry about the electric stuff. That sucksL.

Flex those lit muscles girl!

Your right for a lot of us, getting past the hurdle is the hardest part. Have you thought about ways you can make that hurdle smaller? Maybe when your not feeling in the right mindset play a few minigame but set a time and then get to work when it rings?

Response to Daily Update:

Spoiler

1. I understand about not wanting to call someone to come to your home and fix something that isn’t crucial. I am the exact same way and the day they do come I always feel like that is all I can get done that day.

2. As you told me you need to take it day by day. This week may not feel as good as last week but this week has brought you different challenges and different things to take up space in your backpack.

3. Yes score for you! It means you’re able to do more in a shorter amount of time! (Though I agree it feels like it should be later than Jan. 13th, but that may be because I vacation in February.)

4. that is great to do the morning ritual and it’s nice that there are two different lengths so that you can adjust as needed!

5. I will be honest and say I need a mantra and to do this. It is good you can look at yourself and realize when your emotions are boiling so you can stop and recite your mantra and just breathe, that alone is great progress on your quest I feel because that can be one of the hardest parts sometimes! What do you mean by supercharge your mantra?

6. Also good to spend time at the end of the day nourishing yourself! I find candles and reading or a bath can do wonders to make me feel more recharged the next day.

7. It is super hard to go through only one thing a day! I am trying to do that two and I usually end up cleaning a whole small chunk of whatever area I am working on. My Christmas tree is also still up;. It’s just a pain to undecorated and take down. So I am here with you.

8. Is there something you need to finish at the end of the workshop? If you think this is best do it! You’re going to know best what drains you the most and how much you can put up with. So maybe moving it to a lighter week would be ideal.

9. I agree with you here too walking in winter is a big chore and it takes way more space then summer when you can just go. This is another point where I am honestly awed at your self-reflection and your awareness of the situation and how much you can accomplish. It makes me want to strive harder to be more aware of my backpack and be like you where I can look at stuff and realize I just don’t have room and need to shift things around to better fit.  It is also awesome that you recognize that stopping for too long is not an option if you want to continue on the journey you have laid out. Way to make plans and be aware of what you need to do to keep yourself going!!

10. Its good you are going to see the friend and less hassle in travel is always good! You can do it J. And you have plenty of time to plan for it. *Hugs

Sorry for the long post. I broke it into spoilers so it will be easier on others. Also sorry about the lack of quoting like i mentioned i did it in word and then when i copied it over i lost which places I wanted to quote.

• Like 2

My Character ~~ My Log ~~ Formerly Kelley Gammell

4 hours ago, Altamarie said:

Dagger, you have made so much progress just in the few challenges I have followed. Be proud of yourself and keep moving forward

Thank you.

raw

I am working toward establishing routines so that those tasks can be decreased in space and be a nice foundation.

Yeah, this is on my agenda too. Although I guess on this challenge it has been shuffled down the list a little.

Maybe, if possible just sit down and start typing in general or a general outline of some sort of plat and see what finds you? I know that is not super helpful but it’s something I plan on trying when I get stuck, is just writing whatever I can cause at least it gets things moving.

I might try this. Mostly I just need to get started. BICHOK (Butt in chair, hands on keyboard). And stop stalling. But we all know how easy that is to say...

For some reason the link won’t work for me so that is sad, but I will try to respond based on what you quoted.

Fixed it, sorry!

I agree those of us who chronically procrastinate end up in a vicious cycle of shame and guilt that just makes it harder to complete the tasks. I have friends that procrastinate to rest, and they don’t feel guilt over it, but it’s not the same for them it’s truly to rest, so I think there are different way people procrastinate and how it affects them.

I'm thinking that kind of "procrastination" probably needs another name. It is more delaying a task than procrastinating on it. But then we're off discussing definitions of terms and sometimes all you can do is make sure that you have the same definition. You only have to look at my thread and Sylvaa's and my discussion on capacity. When we figured out we had different definitions, it made more sense. :)

I’m sorry about the electric stuff. That sucks.

Flex those lit muscles girl!

I will take care of it, start of next week since that is what I promised on the phone.

Have you thought about ways you can make that hurdle smaller? Maybe when your not feeling in the right mindset play a few minigame but set a time and then get to work when it rings?

I'll think about how to make the hurdle smaller, it is a good question.

As to your suggestion, I do something like that except I don't set a formal timer, and whatever time I give doesn't matter because I always go over because the minigames are not actually helping me get in the right mindset. So I've tried to stop doing that, not sure I have a good replacement or if the replacement should be to suck it up. Not sure yet.

the day they do come I always feel like that is all I can get done that day.

Yeah, me too.

What do you mean by supercharge your mantra?

I'll talk about when I try it again, right of the top of the head I can't fully remember, but it is about visualizing the feelings behind what your mantra means, then stripping the specific memory with that feeling away but keep the feeling and then saying the mantra while feeling that emotion. I guess I did remember better than I thought. But I'll leave an experience report when I get some time to try it again.

Also good to spend time at the end of the day nourishing yourself! I find candles and reading or a bath can do wonders to make me feel more recharged the next day.

I actually ended up just reading, but then reading is nourishing to me. :3

It is super hard to go through only one thing a day! I am trying to do that two and I usually end up cleaning a whole small chunk of whatever area I am working on.

I'd love for that to happen. I need to after all probably reduce my amount of stuff by around 90%. So the more I do in one day, the better.

This is another point where I am honestly awed at your self-reflection and your awareness of the situation and how much you can accomplish. It makes me want to strive harder to be more aware of my backpack and be like you where I can look at stuff and realize I just don’t have room and need to shift things around to better fit.

That self-reflection comes from experience with awareness. Not experimentation although I've obviously started doing that. But that when I do feel low energy, I've observed in myself that when I try to tackle two things I need to do, I usually end up doing either. But if I put one as more important and truly decide it is, then I will get at least that done.

I've been very aware of myself for a long time. It is a skill, I suppose. But it took many times of trying to do both things before I acknowledge that that strategy worked maybe 1 in 10 times or less, while deciding to do one worked 9 in 10 times or more. It helps detailing this stuff out.

Back during my first few challenges I designated each day and called them bad, average or good, depending on energy generally. A good day could suddenly nose dive into bad if something upset me terribly. But what I also did with this was to be gentle with myself. If I got one thing done of a bad day, I saw it as a success because it was. And sometimes I'd have a good day and not get anything done, but that was because I was taking a rest day. Sometimes a rest day would start crappy because I needed recovery so much but towards the end of the day I'd feel better.

I did this to figure out how my pattern of good, average and bad days worked. I never saw a pattern, but it was easier to be forgiving of myself if I thought about and realized the day had been a bad one. The relevant challenges are mainly the ones I did in June and July, so number 1 and 2 if you want to check out what I did. Also realize I was a lot more emotionally volatile back then, or so I think.

It is also awesome that you recognize that stopping for too long is not an option if you want to continue on the journey you have laid out. Way to make plans and be aware of what you need to do to keep yourself going!!

Thanks. It helps that I've noticed the tangible benefit of going for my walks, and that my knees now complain if I spend all day on my couch.

Biggest difference is that I've decided it is important enough for me. And the only reason I accept the substitute sometimes now is because I actually go do the thing I substitute it for and the only times I make that call is because I am avoiding overwhelm later in the week.

Although my missed fitness day usually on Monday or Tuesday does not fall in that pattern. Something about certain recovery days makes the size of a walk huge and very hard to fit into my backpack. I'm sure it'll reduce with the weather and as I get a little more space cleared out in my backpack.

• Like 4

Daily Report, 2017-01-13

tenor.gif

Fitness

1. 4500 steps per day: 3/7 — 6000+ steps
  2. Buying no soda: 12 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 8 day streak

Studying

3. Character Development videos: 8/8
  7. Nourish Yourself first four days of 40 day practice: 2/4
  8. Nourish Yourself additional ritual (letting go of stuff): 0/1 — Letting this task go until I feel I need to do it.
  9. Nourish Yourself try supercharging my mantra again (both?): 0/1
  10. Activate Your Vision 3-hour workshop/video call, Jan 14: 0/1

Becoming Nomadic

1. Pick minimum one item and put it in a box every day: 5/7
  2. Do Nourish Yourself ritual to start detaching from my stuff: 0/1 — See above
  3. Pick up new IDs: 3/3

Tasks I want to remember: contact companies about my name change, change insurance company, and move info from travel books to docs.

What was done on short story today? I brainstormed some in bed last night, the idea I had proved to have merit. Finally started writing close to 23:00 at night. Don't celebrate yet, only the first battle have been won. There is still the war, and the possibility that I'll need to restart it tomorrow.

Side Note

I feel pretty good about where I am with my tasks. As I see it, I'll get short story and workshop assignment done. The Writing Mystery videos are maybes. I'd rather do a longer Nourish Yourself ritual on Sunday to celebrate and dive into that then attack the videos this week; I have time after all.

This morning I did the invocation ritual as I've planned will be my morning routine. And today I tried it by breathing and saying the invocations myself, plus ending with a couple of repetitions of my mantra. That felt completely different. While listening to the audio was kind of meditative, this felt more active, like I was taking part and asking for these things. Don't get me wrong, the audio had other benefits.

I'll see if I'll toggle between them or mostly do one over the other. I think I'll just ask myself each morning which one will be the right one that day.

I'm pretty sure there were a few more things I have to go through but I'm tired and I can't think of them. And yes, I do remember the dangling topic from last week (was it that long ago?).

I've been really happy about the discussions we are having here by the way. I am learning so much from them and still think about them. Both Sylvaa's definition of capacity and Altamarie's questions I highlighted today that I want to get back to.

Only so much mental space of reflecting in the backpack each day, at least if I want to get other things done! :)

• Like 6

Finally read the procrastination article and your post. I don't really have a lot to add. Although executive dysfunction can be a thing with anxiety, so that explains a bit. Ugh there really was something I was going to say but I've lost it now. Maybe it will come back later. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

12 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Finally read the procrastination article and your post. I don't really have a lot to add. Although executive dysfunction can be a thing with anxiety, so that explains a bit. Ugh there really was something I was going to say but I've lost it now. Maybe it will come back later. 

No worries. It'll come to you in the shower or some other inconvenient time. :P (Nope, I have no experience of that. Nope, nope, nope. Why do you always know when I am lying? WHY?!?!?!)

13 minutes ago, fleaball said:

executive dysfunction

Explain this phrase to me, please. Does it mean that actually doing stuff might not happen due to anxiety (simplified explanation even if it is correct)?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Dagger said:

No worries. It'll come to you in the shower or some other inconvenient time. :P (Nope, I have no experience of that. Nope, nope, nope. Why do you always know when I am lying? WHY?!?!?!)

Honestly. It's so not fair.

41 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Explain this phrase to me, please. Does it mean that actually doing stuff might not happen due to anxiety (simplified explanation even if it is correct)?

I'm actually not sure what you mean by that. Also sorry, I didn't realize the article didn't use that exact phrase. What is said was 

The frontal systems of the brain are known to be involved in a number of processes that overlap with self-regulation. These behaviors — problem-solving, planning, self-control, and the like — fall under the domain of executive functioningOddly enough, no one had ever examined a connection between this part of the brain and procrastination, says Laura Rabin of Brooklyn College.

“Given the role of executive functioning in the initiation and completion of complex behaviors, it was surprising to me that previous research had not systematically examined the relationship between aspects of executive functioning and academic procrastination — a behavior I see regularly in students but have yet to fully understand, and by extension help remediate,” says Rabin.

To address this gap in the literature, Rabin and colleagues gathered a sample of 212 students and assessed them first for procrastination, then on the nine clinical subscales of executive functioning: impulsivity, self-monitoring, planning and organization, activity shifting, task initiation, task monitoring, emotional control, working memory, and general orderliness. 

So executive dysfunction is when you have trouble with executive functioning. (Worst definition ever.) Like having issues with any or all of the bolded things. (Which the article said the study in question found all correlated with procrastination. Correlation isn't causation, but meh.) Most of the discussion I've seen of it has been in reference to ADHD and I think autism? But when I googled just now to find an actual definition anxiety and depression came up as well. Although of course everything I glanced at said there's not a lot of research on executive dysfunction and anxiety. Anyway. I have no idea what my initial point was supposed to be or how to explain myself. But when you look at some of the parts of executive functioning and anxiety and procrastination, it makes sense: task initiation (don't wanna start the thing), planning and organization (I could break down this paper into individual steps and make a schedule but nah), other stuff. 

In terms of my own procrastination on things, I usually ascribe it to anxiety. Yeah there are times where I put things off because I really just don't want to do it (cleaning the shower), but other times, like when I can't get myself to work on a paper even though I'm really interested in my topic and actually want to learn more about it? There's an underlying thing there for me. I'm afraid I'll fail the paper because I think I suck at writing papers, or I'm afraid the professor will think I'm an idiot when they see what I've written, or who even knows why. And oh look. all of this is having trouble getting starterd. 

Does that make any sense at all? I feel like I'm reading/writing through a fog today and can't really articulate anything properly.

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

3 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Honestly. It's so not fair.

I'm actually not sure what you mean by that. Also sorry, I didn't realize the article didn't use that exact phrase. What is said was 

So executive dysfunction is when you have trouble with executive functioning. (Worst definition ever.) Like having issues with any or all of the bolded things. (Which the article said the study in question found all correlated with procrastination. Correlation isn't causation, but meh.) Most of the discussion I've seen of it has been in reference to ADHD and I think autism? But when I googled just now to find an actual definition anxiety and depression came up as well. Although of course everything I glanced at said there's not a lot of research on executive dysfunction and anxiety. Anyway. I have no idea what my initial point was supposed to be or how to explain myself. But when you look at some of the parts of executive functioning and anxiety and procrastination, it makes sense: task initiation (don't wanna start the thing), planning and organization (I could break down this paper into individual steps and make a schedule but nah), other stuff. 

In terms of my own procrastination on things, I usually ascribe it to anxiety. Yeah there are times where I put things off because I really just don't want to do it (cleaning the shower), but other times, like when I can't get myself to work on a paper even though I'm really interested in my topic and actually want to learn more about it? There's an underlying thing there for me. I'm afraid I'll fail the paper because I think I suck at writing papers, or I'm afraid the professor will think I'm an idiot when they see what I've written, or who even knows why. And oh look. all of this is having trouble getting starterd. 

Does that make any sense at all? I feel like I'm reading/writing through a fog today and can't really articulate anything properly.

Yeah it makes sense.

I kinda skimmed that part of the article. It was using too many big words. Not really, but I guess I didn't have the mental energy to read and retain that.

So I get what you mean now. And my very oversimplified explanation was correct if simple and inaccurate in its simpleness. (I hope that makes sense.)

• Like 2

Daily Report, 2017-01-14

One%20Moment%20Please%20Star%20Loader.gi

Fitness

1. 4500 steps per day: 4/7 — 3:30 minute dance party, I'm going to count it
  2. Buying no soda: 13 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 9 day streak

Studying

7. Nourish Yourself first four days of 40 day practice: 3/4
  8. Activate Your Vision 3-hour workshop/video call, Jan 14: 1/1

Becoming Nomadic

1. Pick minimum one item and put it in a box every day: 6/7
  2. Pick up new IDs: 3/3

What was done on short story today? Nope. Will explain below.

Side Note

I'm going to keep it short and sweet. Or try to.

My body is smarter than my mind and realized it needed a lot of energy for the Activate Your Vision workshop/call. So I napped during the afternoon and barely got myself into a shower before the video call. (My hair was literally drying during the call so I looked alright at the end, except for the fact that I cried, but anyway.)

I won't get into the call, but it left me drained but elated.

So I've shifted my deadline for getting a party for finish the story because I miscalculated on the call and what I needed for it. I had not taken into account not writing at all on Saturday.

I'll talk more about what happened during the call and more nourishing things another day.

New party deadline is: 18:00 tomorrow (Sunday), that would be 6 PM (my timezone).

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Yeah it makes sense.

I kinda skimmed that part of the article. It was using too many big words. Not really, but I guess I didn't have the mental energy to read and retain that.

So I get what you mean now. And my very oversimplified explanation was correct if simple and inaccurate in its simpleness. (I hope that makes sense.)

lol it's also harder to pay attention sometimes when they talk about stuff you're not familiar with. For my anthropology class last year we read a bunch of articles that relied heavily on queer theory and some other concepts I'd never studied, and even though I was interested in it my eyes just glazed over. And 

I know what you mean, no worries.

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

New party deadline is: 18:00 tomorrow (Sunday), that would be 6 PM (my timezone GMT+0).

17:58 (GMT+0) I finished the story!!!!

Woop woop!

Let's party, people!

raw

90's music for the win!

• Like 5

Daily Report, 2017-01-15

raw

Fitness

1. 4500 steps per day: 4/7
  2. Buying no soda: 14 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 10 day streak

Studying

1. Write 1 short story for Anthology: 1/1
  4. Character Development assignment: 0/1 — Moved to tomorrow
  7. Nourish Yourself first four days of 40 day practice: 4/4
  8. Activate Your Vision 3-hour workshop/video call, Jan 14: 1/1

Becoming Nomadic

1. Pick minimum one item and put it in a box every day: 7/7
  2. Pick up new IDs: 3/3

What was done on short story today? YES! PARTY TIME!

Side Note

I could write loads of stuff here, but naah, not tonight. Tonight I will party with some Supergirl episodes. For once I have an evening free and not only that, it is quite early too!

Woop woop.

A few words about next week though. The list looks quite long. Oops! Especially considering I will mostly lose Sunday to travel. Although I could do something on the train since that is 3+ hours. But then it is airport, 1 hour in the air and then I'll be with my friend.

So while I just put the list together, I shifted the tasks around a little in a more prioritized order and I changed those that are most optional to italics. Or really the only ones I felt good about putting in italics.

I also changed the step goal to daily movement. I will make a conscious decision each day to make some kind of movement. If that is a one-song-long dance party, shoveling snow, taking a walk, yoga, stretching, it doesn't matter. This is a change I realized from Activate Your Vision. And this actually fits better into my day then always making it a walk (or calling it a walk); lets hope it means I'll do better than 4/7.

So below is next week's list, that might have to be trimmed because I can only count on a 6-day week.

Week 2

Fitness

1. Daily movement: 0/7
  2. Buying no soda: 14 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 10 day streak

Studying

2. Character Development assignment (last week): 0/1
  3. Character Development videos: 0/X
  4. Character Development assignment (this week): 0/1
  5. Writing Mystery videos: 1/6
  6. Nourish Yourself 40 day practice: 0/7
  7. Nourish Yourself super charge manta: 0/1
  8. Nourish Yourself Mantra + Meditation + Movement ritual: 0/1
  9. Nourish Yourself additional tasks Kate might/will assign: 0/X (guess will be max 2)
  10. Activate Your Vision, look over worksheet from call: 0/1

Becoming Nomadic

1. Pick minimum one item and put it in a box every day: 0/6 (focus on books)
  2. Book last few things for Feb/Mar USA trip: 0/4
  3. Change Insurance company: 0/1

Misc

1. Packing for trip: 0/1
  2. Travel day to friend (Sunday, leave home 11:00): 0/1

Tasks I want to remember: contact companies about my name change (one), move info from travel books to docs.

Let's PAAAAAAARTY, PEOPLE!

• Like 6