Dagger Shifts Priority Temporarily

Dagger

first, the less important: SUPERGIRL OMG YAY

second: 

tumblr_lntskeQqjx1qjkyjdo1_500.gif             6nuiJjOOQBBn2.gif

giphy.gif    party-hard-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7b13965_party-time.gif

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

PAAAAARTY!!!!!!!

giphy.gifsource.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

I have soooooo much to say. SO SO MUCH. An epic post is coming your way tomorrow, but before I go to bed I want to say the following:

• I'm proud of you for finishing but even more proud of you for taking an honest look at your schedule and goals and what you had the capacity for, and making a determination that an adjustment was warranted. And you didn't discredit your achievement or talk poorly about yourself for needing this adjustment. I think that's fantastic. We've all seen you admit it plenty of times on here (and other threads) when you believed you fell short of your goal, so everyone knows that when you say you think an adjustment is warranted, you're not making excuses. I think it's pretty amazing that you have developed a reputation as an honest assessor of your own progress/mood/situation and everyone trusts your assessment. It's rare to be able to have a relatively unbiased view of your own actions. So HIGH FIVE on the self-knowledge and its benefits.
  • Random thought but you have devised so many perfect terms for hard-to-define things. I have found myself using your term "overwhelm" (in the sense of a measurable feeling that goes up and down as our capacity and task lists fluctuate) in my own head when I think about whether or not I am too panicked about my to-do list. It's a really useful shorthand. Thanks!
  • Sometimes you say things in a certain turn of phrase and it's a great reminder of why you're a professional writer. You said something once (not sure where) about how sometimes it feels like words are "sticking to your fingers" when you're trying to write but you're not in the groove. And then more recently you talked about how writing sometimes feels like walking through mud. And I found both phrases so evocative and memorable. Kind of funny that when trying to describe your difficulties with writing you come up with phrases that show what a good writer you are :D
  • I agree with @Sylvaa that because you enjoy writing, you don't give enough credit to how difficult it is. But I have more to say about the writing stuff so I'll elaborate later.

More to come tomorrow!!

• Like 5

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

So I have something on my mind that I want to figure out so why not try to do it here and all you smart people can help me.

Recover Activities and Filler Activities

This came up during the Activate Your Vision workshop for me (aka it wasn't specifically part of it). I was thinking that I need to choose both my recovery activities better, but also those I just need something to do for a couple of minutes while I wait for X.

Filler activity would be something I do while cooking. I usually cook certain meals and I have prep and steps down easy. This means there are minutes at a time when I'm just waiting where I like to do something. This would be a typical filler task time. Or if I've just finished some task (say assignment) and I want to clear my head for a couple of minutes before doing the next thing, that would be another time for a "filler" activity.

What I want to do is to use those times in ways that feed me, that is loving, instead of just whatever comes to mind. Sometimes I can do something a little more brainpower necessary, and something I need something mindless because I just don't have the mental/emotional energy to deal with anything. Except my current mindless activities does not feed me and they are not loving.

Mind you, I'm not looking to never play minigames again. I do enjoy Super Mario Run, probably because I enjoy all mario games I've ever tried. But I want options. With options I can always choose the thing that actually will feed me, and if it turns out minigames never though, then maybe I'll be ready to let them go at that time. (Btw, if anyone else plays Super Mario Run, lets become friends! Although if you suck at mario games and hate when someone is a LOT better, don't friend me. I'm good at those kinds of games.)

One more thing, when I call it filler activities and recover activities I might do them for 5 minutes or 2 hours, or I might toggle between then so it takes up a few hours.

So what activities do I currently do when I have a few minutes over or when I take those minutes because I don't want to deal (sometimes legitimate, sometimes not):

• NF Forum
  • Email
  • Facebook (not that often, mostly in a sweep with the two above)
  • Reading
  • Minigames on my tablet
  • Minigames on my handheld gaming device
  • Breathing with or without mantra (super new addition!)
  • Walking
  • Blog posts
  • And maybe one or two more I can't remember right now

Of those, I'd say only these promote recovery and/or are loving:

• Reading
  • Breathing w/o mantra
  • Walking
  • NF forum (when I'm not obsessively checking it or just checking it way too often), could partly be seen as journaling which is why it is loving/recovery at times

Really, none of the other activities serve to truly be recovery or fill filler-time in a loving/great way.

Three example: Email might have something good, but it might also have something bad and most of the time it is just not anything except wasting time. Facebook does have some good stuff in some of the groups I'm in, but otherwise cruising it is just a way to fill time. Blog posts can be informative, entertaining and funny, but mostly those posts are not the ones I read when I spend filler time and unless funny they don't help me recover.

So I want to come up with a list of activities that I can try instead, that helps me recover and/or that are meaningful to me in some way.

So here's my current ideas:

• Perhaps other Nourish Yourself rituals, perhaps invocations. This would not be something I would want to do most of the time as I am currently, but it would certainly fill a hole of mindful activity.
  • Coloring. I totally got that idea from @deathbyshiny. This is perfect for the slightly longer pause, or when I'm willing to be realistic with how much time I will actually spend on the break. (Yeah, guess how often it actually is 5 minutes? Come on, guess? Like 1% of the time? Probably right. The most usual short time is probably 10-20 mins.)
  • I have a mala in the mail coming to me in the next week or so, and I figure I can do some mantra/breathing/ritual thing around that when I have a few minutes.
  • I have tarot cards that should arrive today or tomorrow and can first start to learn the cards and then learn some simple spreads or just one card draws.
  • Brainstorming (I literally just brainstormed that option, lol) on something writing related or life related, but small dose style.

Ok, I'm basically out of ideas right now. But I really want to hear from you guys. Think things that take 5-15 minutes preferably, although initially they can take longer while learning them.

I don't think I can suddenly change what I do during filler time or when I'm in recovery (actually switching recovery activities is going well). But I can't change options unless I have new options.

While I call this both filler and recovery activities, I know I'll use them differently depending on what I'm looking for.

Example: I managed to make a partly filled glass of orange juice tip over today. It first tipped and splattered the table and a book, then rolled to the floor and spewed the rest on the floor. I dried it with paper (I'll probably mop later, where later means before the next century), refilled the glass and sat down. I took deep breathes and said my mantra a couple of times to settle the slight upset. The urge I actually had at that time was to check the NF forum because I had the laptop right there, but I knew that surfing the net would not get me to feel alright in that moment. Breathing did a much better job.

(It turned out the glass had a crack after I'd finished the refillment. So I took that and a few other glass things from the kitchen and put them in a recycle bag. I guess I got the item decluttering done for the day due to this.)

• Like 9

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

I'll respond more specifically to you guys later.

All I will say is that you guys know how to party and this was exactly what I asked for. *slightly tear eyed but also ready to dance the night away*

<3 <3 <3

• Like 2

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Your buying no soda streak is super impressive to me. I like to drink flavored things so soda is usually my go to. Trying to swap to flavored water now.

Way to achieve basically all of your goals this week! That is super awesome!!

20 hours ago, Dagger said:

A few words about next week though. The list looks quite long. Oops! Especially considering I will mostly lose Sunday to travel. Although I could do something on the train since that is 3+ hours. But then it is airport, 1 hour in the air and then I'll be with my friend.

So while I just put the list together, I shifted the tasks around a little in a more prioritized order and I changed those that are most optional to italics. Or really the only ones I felt good about putting in italics.

Way to know when to rearrange and manage you as well as tasks you need to get done. Also have tons of fun with your friend!

As for things to do during downtime! I think coloring is a great idea! I know if helps me distress a lot and it’s something good to do if you need to think but want your hands busy.

Maybe doing a puzzle as long as you are okay having it sit unfinished for a while which also takes space unless you buy a tiny puzzle that you can do quick and be done… Hmm maybe a light easy stretching routine? Or calming music…

I will try to think of more and get back to you J

• Like 3

My Character ~~ My Log ~~ Formerly Kelley Gammell

30 minutes ago, Altamarie said:

Maybe doing a puzzle as long as you are okay having it sit unfinished for a while which also takes space unless you buy a tiny puzzle that you can do quick and be done… Hmm maybe a light easy stretching routine? Or calming music…

I have a puzzle app (I've not tried it on a phone, but I've got it on my tablet) - most of the puzzles take me around 5 - 15 minutes depending on number of pieces. I don't really consider it a mini game, but YMMV.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Altamarie said:

Maybe doing a puzzle as long as you are okay having it sit unfinished for a while which also takes space unless you buy a tiny puzzle that you can do quick and be done…

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

I have a puzzle app (I've not tried it on a phone, but I've got it on my tablet) - most of the puzzles take me around 5 - 15 minutes depending on number of pieces. I don't really consider it a mini game, but YMMV.

Laying puzzles could work. @Sylvaa, please share the app. :)

I like laying puzzles but space. I never have the space for them because I lay them so slowly or I have too hard puzzles. :P

• Like 2

UGH so because I am foolish*, I just wasted like 40 minutes trying to find an article or blog post that someone on here linked months ago. Your post instantly brought it to my mind, because I think it's very close to what you're wondering about. And when I read the article/blog way back then, it had a huge impact on me and I found it really valuable. In fact I have often thought of it since then.

I think it was maybe linked by @NeverThatBored or @Sylvaa or @zenLara but I couldn't find it so it could have been someone else. Anyway, the blog post was about the different ways to spend our time and energy, and broke activities down into four main categories. And I think it was something like:

• Activities that accomplish something but cost us energy (e.g. working on a project for school or work)
  • Activities that accomplish something but help us regain energy (e.g. painting, yoga)
  • Activities that don't accomplish anything but help us regain energy (e.g. reading a beach novel, a bubble bath)
  • Activities that neither accomplish anything nor help us regain energy (e.g. mindless television, refreshing facebook)

And the author broke it down into a graph where they plotted various activities along two axes, creating those four quadrants. And the graph looks a little different for different people (for example, socializing with friends has value, but might regenerate energy for extroverts while costing energy for introverts) and obvioulsy different people have different definitions of work and what helps them regain energy, but nevertheless the idea was that we all have these four categories. 

And the author said that her main goal (I think it was a woman, at least) was to minimize time spent doing the activities in the last category. She said those things were basically just things we do to escape from ourselves and avoid engaging with the world. She even had a term she'd come up with for that category.

I wish I could remember!! The author explained all of this so much more eloquently than I am doing, with much better examples. I will bestow the cutest baby animal I can find upon anyone who remembers what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I often think about that article and the concepts therein when I'm pondering my own procrastination or thinking about how to make better use of my time. I try as much as possible (with less success than I want) not to do those things in the last category because they're unsatisfying - they accomplish nothing, they're not relaxing, and it just feels like lost time, lost life. Which I think is exactly the same thing you're grappling with in trying to find new "filler" activities.

I have some things I do as "filler" activities. Not all of these are things I think are a good idea, of course:

• Random exercise - when I'm on the ball with fitness, I like to scatter small bursts of exercise throughout the day. Like if I'm waiting for the tea to steep or something to heat in the microwave I might do 10 bodyweight squats and 10 incline pushups against the kitchen counter.
  • Language study - I have some apps on my phone and when I have 5-10 minutes it's perfect to sneak in a bit of review. If my brain is feeling engaged, I'll do something active like read the news in French or review some Spanish vocab. If I'm feeling lazier, I'll just listen to some French radio or something.
  • Cleaning - I am constantly aware of everything that needs cleaning in my house, so I always have a pending task list. Sometimes if I want to procrastinate or if I am anxious and have 10 spare minutes before I need to go out or something and I'm unable to relax, I'll go clean something. Usually makes me feel a bit better. I often procrastinate by cleaning, actually. Like I'll fold laundry or reorganize a cupboard instead of doing my actual task
  • Reading, either online or books or the various magazines we get at the house. I spend more time reading news than I should.
  • Small video games like MiniMetro (on PC, which is my only gaming platform) if I have a little bit of time, or larger games like Mass Effect or CK2 or Civ if I have more time
  • Writing in my Hobonichi, either journalling or doodling/drawing
  • Making lists of things - this helps me calm down. I make lists of all the stuff I need to do, or lists of places I want to travel to, or books I want to read, or whatever. No idea why but I find this fun and soothing.
  • Music - I "waste" a lot of time on Spotify making playlists, sometimes for myself but usually for friends or my partner L. I really enjoy discovering new music, and making playlists for people and sharing music with them is one way I express affection. I often berate myself for spending too much time doing this, but I acknowledge it has some value too.
  • Creative writing - I don't show it to anyone so it's just for fun
  • Researching - I often fill spare time by researching a wide variety of things. Like learning more about a place I want to travel to, or trying to find a good deal on a filing cabinet for the office, or whether there's a good local meetup group for practicing Spanish or whatever
  • Walking - still my favourite form of exercise, especially with music
  • Talking to friends on Slack. A bunch of my friends are long distance and we have a Slack channel (basically an updated replacement for IRC) where we chat each day. I waste more time there than I should.

*I noticed myself doing this but wasn't even sure what to put instead that didn't sound bad. 

• Like 8

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

My amount of dangling topics was longer than I though. I just went through page 2-4 to find them and I even put two on hold for now. Geez...

I thought I'd clear them off.

Space creates Strength

Alright so while I was figuring out my intentions for the Nourish Yourself course I hit on four things that seemed to feed into each other like an endless cycle:

• Self care
  • Breathing
  • Space (space as in taking time for yourself, room and time I suppose)
  • Strength

My intentions circle around these four things although I could not tell you my intentions because I didn't memorize them. Oops...

My mantras that are built from my intentions was first just: I create space for myself to gain strength.

However, when someone also in the course mentioned using the word allow. I got this variation: I allow space for myself.

I thought I'd only use one of them but both of them speak to me in different times. "I allow..." is gentler and a great reminder; it doesn't give any demands. "I create..." is stronger, more active; it requires me to do something. So together they create a whole.

But back to the headline. Why does space create strength?

Space to me is taking time for self care. Self care is often breathing, it is the nourishment rituals, it is my mantras, it is moving my body like it wants to.

All of those things centers me, and when I am centered I feel good and I get stuff done. But I don't get them done because I have to, I get them done because I want to, because doing them is caring for myself.

Are you guys seeing how I am rewiring my brain? Doing my goals is caring for myself. Sometimes caring for myself means ignoring any objectives/goals I have, but most of the time it is caring to do them. It eases overwhelm and makes me happy.

In the past, I haven't taken time for myself. I haven't allowed myself to breathe. Tipping over an glass of orange juice would have made me intensely surf the net in that way that isn't healthy, it would have been the hiding-from-reality surfing.

So giving myself the space to breathe, to focus on myself and what I feel without dwelling on the emotion is making me stronger. But I'm sure you've figured that out from what I just wrote.

Nourishment Definition—Sea and Lake

So back last week some time, I figured out my definition of nourishment. I don't exactly remember it, another thing I didn't memorize (I didn't try). But I found my experience interesting.

I always thought that nourishment and being centered and such was a calm feeling. It was serenity and low level joy all the time.

Turns out that at least for me that is only half the equation, just like with my mantra. That calm part I call the lake by the way. Think a quiet, mostly isolated lake. It might be used in summer for water sports but it isn't fed from big streams or anything that really carries boats, so it is mostly still. It reflects the nature around it. When something hits its surface there are ripples but they quickly die out. There are no waves most of the time. Mostly it is just a mirror for the nature around it.

The other part of it is the sea crashing into the shore line again and again. The sound, the energy, the constant motion. It is the fresh sea breeze, the glitter on huge waves. It is the danger of sneaker waves and of currents. It is strong and it is always in action. It is the sea. (I picture the Pacific ocean at the Oregon coast, btw.)

This dichotomy fascinates me but it also makes so much sense. I always wondered if I could ever calm down enough to be like those meditative monks and such that I admire. I admire so many things about them.

But I want to live and adventure and take big action. I want to have a family and drag them around the world. I would to build, to create and make a ruckus.

I can not be only the lake. I need to be the sea too.

Capacity = Productivity + Relaxation?

On 1/12/2017 at 6:43 PM, Sylvaa said:

I see it as capacity = productivity + relaxation (or non-productivity)

I've been thinking about this and I think you are right, Sylvaa. There is no productivity without proper rest and recovery. So the amount of productive things you can do depend on how well and how much you rest, and therefore capacity needs to have both to function.

Activate Your Vision

This workshop was mindblowingly good. It helped with some planing and made me for one think about my filler activities, but also that I need to slowly add boundaries for when I will work/write and when I will not. (Although right now, working time boundaries will have to wait, if I try to add them now my capacity will take a significant hit and I'm getting enough recovery.)

It is hard to explain why it was so influential on me. It made me look at 2016 and figure out both good things that happened and bad things. So I can bring the good things forward and release the bad things, although it isn't as simple as that. Sometimes you have to release good things too, or rather aspects of it because you can't recreate an experience exactly.

Close to the end, we had a guided meditation with Kate. It was meant to open us up to our hearts' voice. This. This was the thing that was more than worth the time I spent on it. Worth the money I spent on it, or I think it will be. (Technically I got it as an early bird bonus for booking the Costa Rica retreat.)

It was like a dam was broken and suddenly I felt connected with myself in a way I haven't in a long, long time. Not that I've been disconnected, but one of the reasons I was depressed for five years was because I didn't know how to handle my empathy and I overloaded, seriously overloaded. This meant I shut it down hard, so hard I hadn't realized until recently how closed I've been to subtle emotions. I could feel the big ones and I could feel the weaker ones, but they didn't have nuance. If that makes sense.

So while I've been chipping at the dam for the last couple of months, now it felt like it crumbled completely away, but not in a bad way.

The meditation also included releasing old energy, future energy and every energy particle that wasn't my own, so I felt lighter than I had in years before we got into connecting to the heart meditation.

My heart voice confirmed my calling and added to it. I know I'm somewhat vague, but I'm not ready to share it yet. :)

I guess in many ways I am exploring and developing my spirituality although I'm not currently focused on it. Just another part of my Year of Strength.

Invocation Audio this morning—WOW!

And as if Activate Your Vision wasn't awesome enough in the meditation space, this happened this morning:

So I chose the audio this morning for my ritual. The two before today I spoke them myself and had started to decide that this was the more powerful version of the ritual.

Then this morning, I didn't have the energy to be that active, so I started up the audio. (Interestingly enough the audio is 15 minutes, so it is a longer commitment than 5 minutes. Mysterious ways...)

With the invocations are guided meditation. They specifically ask me to visualize certain things. The last thing is to imagine myself a magnet (sounds stranger than the audio is but seriously it would take too long to explain) for success and joy and happiness. That feeling today? Wow, was it strong.

I felt like I was a champagne bottle. Bubbles crazily filling my body with energy and happiness. Hard to see a better way to start the day.

General Recommendation of Kate Marolt

Seriously, if you get a chance to work with Kate Marolt. Take it. Amy Clover of Strong Inside Out is also great, but I don't have as much experience with her yet.

You've already heard a lot about the Nourish Yourself course, and if lighting candles and asking your Higher Self for help doesn't sound like your thing at all, then perhaps Kate isn't for you. I'd also like to mention that I would have belonged in that group just a year or so ago.

Her guided meditations are gold, her voice is so soothing. I'm pretty sure you can get a couple of meditation from joining her newsletter, otherwise her Choose Freedom course is great. Sure I've only done 6 of the 30 days, but with all the other guided meditations I've done with her, the actual count is higher. Plus if she's great both live and recorded.

She doesn't even have a affiliate program, so I'm not earning anything by recommending her. ;)

~*~*~*~*~*~

Alright, I'm done for now. The stabled topics are in the PS below.

PS. I left of the topic of studying why restarting my reading habit was such a success, because I haven't had time to think about it. I think it would also be useful to look at other habits that I've failed at or that sometimes gets consistent for a while. Another topic I'm stabling for the moment is "making the hurdle smaller to get to writing", partly because I haven't thought about it and partly because right now is not the time to explore that (sorry for being vague).

• Like 4

21 hours ago, fleaball said:

SUPERGIRL OMG YAY

I know! I wish I could follow it live. But alas... At least I've seen the first season twice in about a month. XD (I haz bluerays.)

21 hours ago, fleaball said:

13965_party-time.gif

Favorite of yours!

~*~*~*~*~*~

15 hours ago, Severine said:

giphy.gif

Favorite of yours!

I'm proud of you for finishing but even more proud of you for taking an honest look at your schedule and goals and what you had the capacity for, and making a determination that an adjustment was warranted. And you didn't discredit your achievement or talk poorly about yourself for needing this adjustment. I think that's fantastic. We've all seen you admit it plenty of times on here (and other threads) when you believed you fell short of your goal, so everyone knows that when you say you think an adjustment is warranted, you're not making excuses. I think it's pretty amazing that you have developed a reputation as an honest assessor of your own progress/mood/situation and everyone trusts your assessment. It's rare to be able to have a relatively unbiased view of your own actions. So HIGH FIVE on the self-knowledge and its benefits.

raw

Random thought but you have devised so many perfect terms for hard-to-define things. I have found myself using your term "overwhelm" (in the sense of a measurable feeling that goes up and down as our capacity and task lists fluctuate) in my own head when I think about whether or not I am too panicked about my to-do list. It's a really useful shorthand. Thanks!

Right back at you! Obligation-induced anxiety is a great word for when my anxiety usually pops up.

Sometimes you say things in a certain turn of phrase and it's a great reminder of why you're a professional writer. You said something once (not sure where) about how sometimes it feels like words are "sticking to your fingers" when you're trying to write but you're not in the groove. And then more recently you talked about how writing sometimes feels like walking through mud. And I found both phrases so evocative and memorable. Kind of funny that when trying to describe your difficulties with writing you come up with phrases that show what a good writer you are :D

tumblr_m0lb0vHq0T1qfgb8po1_400.gif

You are the first to articulate why you think I'm a good writer. I appreciate that. :3

But I have more to say about the writing stuff so I'll elaborate later.

Looking forward to it!

~*~*~*~*~*~

9 hours ago, Altamarie said:

giphy.gif

The Mask! Such a fun movie. Gosh, I haven't seen that one in ages!

5 hours ago, Altamarie said:

Your buying no soda streak is super impressive to me. I like to drink flavored things so soda is usually my go to. Trying to swap to flavored water now.

Not as impressive as it might seem. I mostly quit soda back when I was 18 years old. However, I did notice I was getting a little too liberal with it during December with loads of julmust and then cider things for new year. So I knew if I articulated the rule and tracked it, I'd get off soda pretty quick.

I still buy flavored water at times, but without any calories or sweetener. Otherwise I've bought orange juice and I do have some elderflower (or is it elderberry) cordial if since before if I'd get a huge craving.

5 hours ago, Altamarie said:

Hmm maybe a light easy stretching routine?

Good idea!

~*~*~*~*~*~

Was this the article you were looking for @Severine: Are You Tired?

I don't remember who linked it so I saw it, but I've been throwing it around since. And if this is the one, yes it was on my mind.

But I hadn't thought to apply it also to those 5-15 minute breaks where I have nothing to do but usually play minigames or do mindless checking of email/facebook/forums.

42 minutes ago, Severine said:

Random exercise - when I'm on the ball with fitness, I like to scatter small bursts of exercise throughout the day. Like if I'm waiting for the tea to steep or something to heat in the microwave I might do 10 bodyweight squats and 10 incline pushups against the kitchen counter.

42 minutes ago, Severine said:

Cleaning - I am constantly aware of everything that needs cleaning in my house, so I always have a pending task list. Sometimes if I want to procrastinate or if I am anxious and have 10 spare minutes before I need to go out or something and I'm unable to relax, I'll go clean something. Usually makes me feel a bit better. I often procrastinate by cleaning, actually. Like I'll fold laundry or reorganize a cupboard instead of doing my actual task

I like these two.

Some of the others are good too, but doesn't really fit into filler time for me because they either take too long (research) or are too mind intensive (language study, although I suppose getting regular with it could make parts of it less mind intensive, hmmm...).

~*~*~*~*~*~

My list of options and things to try do grow longer, yay!

Thanks everyone for great thoughts and suggestions and all your compliments. <3

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Was this the article you were looking for @Severine: Are You Tired?

I don't remember who linked it so I saw it, but I've been throwing it around since. And if this is the one, yes it was on my mind.

AHHHHHHH YOU FOUND IT THANK YOU! Yes that was it.

You know, maybe it was you who linked it originally? I don't know, but I am going to use this gif anyway:

omg-it-was-you-the-entire-time_o_184545.

As for your reward, it turns out there are a lot of cute baby animals out there. So I cannot claim to have found the cutest, but I offer you this 45 second video of a baby polar bear from my hometown.

• Like 3

Daily Report, 2017-01-16

raw

Fitness

1. Daily movement: 1/7 — long walk
  2. Buying no soda: 15 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 11 day streak

Studying

1. Write 1 short story for Anthology: 0/1
  2. Character Development assignment (last week): 1/1
  3. Character Development videos: 0/7
  4. Character Development assignment (this week): 0/1
  5. Writing Mystery videos: 1/6
  6. Nourish Yourself 40 day practice: 1/7
  7. Nourish Yourself super charge manta: 0/1
  8. Nourish Yourself Mantra + Meditation + Movement ritual: 0/1
  9. Nourish Yourself additional tasks Kate might/will assign: 0/X (guess will be max 2)
  10. Activate Your Vision, look over worksheet from call: 0/1

Becoming Nomadic

1. Pick minimum one item and put it in a box every day: 1/6 (focus on books)
  2. Book last few things for Feb/Mar USA trip: 5/4 — turned out to be one more than I thought
  3. Change Insurance company: 0/1

Misc

1. Packing for trip: 0/1
  2. Travel day to friend (Sunday, leave home 11:00): 0/1

Tasks I want to remember: contact companies about my name change, move info from travel books to docs.

What was done on short story today? Brainstorming with possible spark!

Side Note

Started the day with that champagne feel after the daily nourishment ritual. Then after some forum reading I went for a walk because my body said: hey, why not walk now? So my first day of asking my body what movement it wanted was a success (7700+ steps). I also did some dancing while cooking dinner.

After walk and lunch, I had a little free time then I decided to dig into all the booking and stuff.

So I did and I thought while I'm at it, I should probably fix my name in a few more places and stuff and down the rabbit hole I went. Damnit.

At least it made me remember something I really need to do, so I'll get that done tomorrow. But far more admin stuff than I meant to.

Did a bit of brainstorming before cooking dinner. Then I thought to tackle a couple of more things, but time ran away from me and I didn't want to stay on the computer too late and it is already 23:30. Ugh, I wanted to get off it around 23:00. I guess I should talk less. :P

NEVER!!!!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Severine said:

You know, maybe it was you who linked it originally?

It wasn't, I distinctly remember following the link from someone else's challenge, but I can't for the life of me remember who's because it was like three or so months ago. Probably more...

Still I will accept your offering! And offer one in return:

raw

• Like 2

For fillers, I'll usually tidy up the kitchen, rarely but sometimes do some stretches or easy exercises like calf raises or maybe pushups on the stairs (not easy but whatever), or pull out my phone and kill brain cells. So I have nothing to offer and will be stealing ideas as people come up with them. 

As for the rest: I will attempt to come back tomorrow and actually comment on what you posted. Because it's interesting. But I cannot brain tonight.

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

11 hours ago, Severine said:

I think it was maybe linked by @NeverThatBored or @Sylvaa or @zenLara but I couldn't find it so it could have been someone else.

Definitely not me. Because it's the first time I hear about this.

Luckily you seem to have found it alreday. Now my turn to read it!

By the way, this made me laugh so hard:

<<thread intrusion ends>>

• Like 2

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

1 minute ago, zenLara said:

By the way, this made me laugh so hard:

I know. Me too!

And you are welcome to stay if you want to. Whether you do or not, enjoy the article, it is a game changer for recovery.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2017 at 1:11 PM, Dagger said:

Last year I found a purpose for my life: becoming a nomad, aka go long term traveling

Wow, that is HUGE! Now I have to read the whole thread, damn :D 

• Like 2

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

Wow, that is HUGE! Now I have to read the whole thread, damn :D 

Pick a beverage and settle in. You're in for a looooong ride! :D

• Like 4

Daily Report, 2017-01-17

raw

Fitness

1. Daily movement: 2/7 — 3-song long dance party
  2. Buying no soda: 16 day streak
  3. Buy max one sweet thing when shopping: 12 day streak

Studying

1. Write 1 short story for Anthology: 0/1
  2. Character Development assignment (last week): 1/1
  3. Character Development videos: 7/7
  4. Character Development assignment (this week): 0/1
  5. Writing Mystery videos: 6/6
  6. Nourish Yourself 40 day practice: 2/7
  7. Nourish Yourself super charge manta: 0/1 — Decided to simplify these two tasks.
  8. Nourish Yourself Mantra + Meditation + Movement ritual: 0/1
  9. Nourish Yourself additional thing on one day: 0/1
  10. Nourish Yourself additional tasks Kate might/will assign: 0/X (guess will be max 2)
  11. Activate Your Vision, look over worksheet from call: 0/1 — took away italics, this one will happen and doesn't need to take long

Becoming Nomadic

1. Pick minimum one item and put it in a box every day: 2/6 (focus on books)
  2. Book last few things for Feb/Mar USA trip: 5/5 — fixed the number of "planned"
  3. Change Insurance company: 0/1

Misc

1. Packing for trip: 0/1
  2. Travel day to friend (Sunday, leave home 11:00): 0/1

Tasks I want to remember: contact companies about my name change (did a lot of this, unplanned...), move info from travel books to docs.

What was done on short story today? Meant to do things, but the day just didn't turn out as expected

Side Note

So I had some interesting learning happening today.

I started the day off by diffusing my energy, aka I checked the NF forum and facebook and such before my morning Nourish Yourself ritual. This meant that when I got to the ritual, I didn't have the focus to do it myself and decided on the audio. Plus I had that great experience with the audio yesterday.

It wasn't the same today. It took half the audio before I managed to actually focus on what I was doing. My focus was so scattered that by the time the ritual ended I'd only managed to gather it up somewhat and the strong experiences I often have didn't happen. I see this is a great learning opportunity and it proved something for me that I'd though. Or I suppose two things I learned.

1. The order I do things in the morning is important. Ritual first, NF forum and Facebook second. When I do it the other way around I ruin both the ritual and the next few hours.
  2. The internet is a diffuser of focus, or disrupter of Deep work (I need to get back to that book).

As if that realization wasn't enough for the day, I figured out a definition or a way to figure out if an activity actually is a recovery activity or not. When it popped into my head it was so obvious, but I hadn't had a clear sense of how to figure out if an activity did induce recovery or not.

So what is the formula?

To be recovery, an activity have to produce a net gain in energy when finished. So the energy produced by doing the task have to be more than the loss of energy to get started on the task and whatever energy is needed to do the task.

Net energy income. Why hadn't I thought of that before?

With this, I can actually reflect on activities after I've done them and ask myself if they gave me energy.

Every Nourish Yourself thing I've done have been recovery. Reading is recovery. Taking walks is recovery. Exploring my just arrived first tarot deck is recovery (no idea if it will stay that way).

I can now analyze my tries of different activities to figure out which ones help me the most for recovery, which ones are still alright for filler activities (aka plus-minus-zero income), and which activities I should phase out.

And seriously, activities that leaves me more drained than I was before can't be that fun, can they? Are they really enjoyable? Or are they just really good Skinner box?

~*~*~*~*~*~

Things I did today: 5 videos of Writing Mystery workshop (aka finishing it!!!), 7 videos of Character Development, lots of name admin (some websites are just stupid), looked at every card in my new tarot deck, read a chapter of the book that came with the deck on reading tarot, dance party, went through a box of books sorted into keep/charity/unsure/would-prefer-to-read-before-I-leave-but-will-end-up-in-charity-in-the-end, and a few bits and ends that aren't important enough to mention (like cooking and other everyday stuff).

I'll leave you with a great quote I found in the tarot book when I read about the card "Two of Coins":

"Walk on a rainbow trail; walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail." ~ Robert Motherwell

• Like 6

I am ashamed of myself for missing the party!

rOpd6.gif

Great job though!

giphy.gif

On 1/16/2017 at 8:59 AM, Dagger said:
  • Coloring. I totally got that idea from @deathbyshiny. This is perfect for the slightly longer pause, or when I'm willing to be realistic with how much time I will actually spend on the break. (Yeah, guess how often it actually is 5 minutes? Come on, guess? Like 1% of the time? Probably right. The most usual short time is probably 10-20 mins.)

Omg it's SOOOO helpful. <3 I pretty much only color 5-10 minutes a day, but I swear it's making me less stressed before bed!

• Like 2

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. - Gail Devers

Current challenge: New Game

Previous challenges: 2017 Challenges: Strategy 2Strategy 1 | 1-3 1-2 | 1-1 | Reset
2016 Challenges: 432 | 1 | .5

@_@ damn you and your well thought out posts. I need to find a time when I'm actually awake to read them. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

9 hours ago, deathbyshiny said:

giphy.gif

I accept your party offering!

I loved that show as I was growing up, although I think I might have seen a cartoon version?

9 hours ago, deathbyshiny said:

Omg it's SOOOO helpful. <3 I pretty much only color 5-10 minutes a day, but I swear it's making me less stressed before bed!

I haz the supplies and books already, so I just need to set up an area. :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fleaball said:

@_@ damn you and your well thought out posts. I need to find a time when I'm actually awake to read them. 

I'm sorry I have them coming to thick right now. There seems to be so much firing in my brain right now and it is glorious.

But probably somewhat overwhelming to you guys.

• Like 1