Mizbrek Renews

Mizbrek

492882.jpg

The portal opened on a small, green field. Mizbrek stepped through, the portal closing behind him, blinking in the sunlight. He shouldered his pack, taking his staff in one hand and setting out along the path before him. At the farmhouse ahead, several Pandaren children ran up to him, falling into step alongside him. They were almost as tall as the hobbit monk now.

“Miz! Miz! Where ya been?” one uttered, a girl.

“We haven’t seen you back in ages!” the other accused, a boy.

Miz walked past the farmhouse, limping slightly with a grin. “You know me, kiddos! Here and there. Fighting dragons. Brewing beer. Wooing damsels.”

“Can we try your beer?” said the girl excitedly as she skipped along.

“You must be at least taller than me to drink the beer, sweetheart.” Miz cracked at her, rounding a bend and crossing a bridge, heading towards a tall temple up ahead.

“Are you here to meet with the other monks?” the boy asked, gesturing towards the temple.

“I am,” Miz confirmed. “It’s a new year. I think. Depending on your understanding of time and space. I need some time to reflect, rethink, renew myself a bit. Look at where I go and what I want to do with myself. My place in the cosmos.”

There was a long pause from the kids at that. “We just learned fractions,” the girl mentioned.

They reached the open front door of the temple, and Miz turned back, smiling at both of them. “You’ll have to show me sometime. For now, run along, I think I see your dad waving for you back there.” They waved their goodbyes as they ran off. Miz stepped into the temple, breathing deeply of the incense, the fires ahead, feeling the aura of the Celestials he had long ago placed his faith in, rebuilding and renewing him, just by being here.

It was gonna be a good year, he thought, as he swung his keg around, drinking deeply.

If not, there was always beer.

492883.jpg

Last Challenge

The last challenge was tough around the holidays, but overall I’m giving myself a level for it. I worked out several days over vacation, I stayed pretty consistent with my Hearthstone, and I stayed pretty active in the community. Could’ve done better on the measurements, but I actually took those and pictures today! So not too bad overall. I failed mostly at the logging, and paid the price of jumping a few pounds over the holidays, but considering it was only about 5 pounds overall, I’m generally considering that okay.

This Challenge

For this challenge, I’ll be focusing on starting anew, but keeping some of the old.

Bodyweight Exercises - 5x weekly, M-F. I’ll miss one this week but that’s okay. I’m also going to try and focus on the NF Rings exercises and do my best to progress through that program along with the regular exercises.

Photos/Measurements Weekly - I took this today, and will be re-attempting this one! It’s part of the NF Rising Heroes program which my wife and I signed up for, so I think this should be more doable.

MFP Logging - Going to carry this one over again. I am going to try and focus on this one a bit - I know it’s super helpful with weight loss overall, and I should remember that.

5 Minutes of Economist Daily - I’ve fallen off this habit and want to get back onto it. Setting a goal of just reading the magazine for 5 minutes daily. I think this should be doable.

Morning Pages - This is probably the focus of this challenge for me. A big part of my road map for this year is improving my thought processes and self confidence overall. I have a lot of negative self-talk and self-confidence issues, and I think this holds me back in many aspects of my life. With morning pages, the idea is that you write 3 stream of consciousness pages by hand every morning, to help clear your head and get you set for the day. I’m excited about this idea, and what it could do for me.

Bonus Goal - Golf Practice - As a kind of bonus goal, I’d like to work on my golf skills this year. My in-laws all golf, and just bought a house on a golf course, and I’d like to be able to better participate. I worked on this a bit last summer but could use more work. I’ll be attempting to spend some time at a driving range once a week. This is my “skill,” which is part of the Rising Heroes program where you pick a non-fitness skill to work on and develop. This isn’t strictly non-fitness but I see having some skill in golf as building my own self-confidence, broadening my horizons, and possibly be an asset in my job search and networking skills. So this isn’t really an official part of the challenge, but is something I’ll be working on in parallel.

Thanks for reading along folks, and hope to see you all again!

• Like 7

Level 11 Hobbit Brewmaster

Half Ranger, Half Druid, Completely Ridiculous

Instagram

Current Challenge: Mizbrek Studies with the Order of the Broken Temple

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Well, you're seeing me now, and I'll be following you.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Yay forgetting the measurements and pictures in. Great goals. Tim Ferris talked about doing the mornig journaling stream of consciousness thing. It interested me. I may take a stab at it some mornings. Interested to hear how it goes for you.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well, you're seeing me now, and I'll be following you.

Thanks! Great to see you again!!

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yay forgetting the measurements and pictures in. Great goals. Tim Ferris talked about doing the mornig journaling stream of consciousness thing. It interested me. I may take a stab at it some mornings. Interested to hear how it goes for you.

Ha, I read about it there! Did you pick up his latest book? I'm not normally a huge fan but finding it fascinating so far. Will recap the morning pages below!

Bodyweight Exercises - 3A this morning and ring work! Felt good. May have to try the next level of ring work, the 4x5 ring rows at 45 degrees seems easyish now. Might need Mrs. Miz to check my form though - not sure I'm getting 45 degree right.

Photos/Measurements Weekly - Did yesterday, so I think ideally I'll aim to complete this every weekend to compare.

MFP Logging - Good so far! Measured out my lunch at work with measuring cups and a scale. Helps remind me of the cost of things. Ate a much smaller lunch than I think I need, but about half an hour later feeling full but not overly full. I trained myself for YEARS by eating until I was stuffed, still trying to train myself the other way, but feeling good about that.

5 Minutes of Economist Daily - I'll have to squeeze this in on the train home - running out of time today!

Morning Pages - First day of this was tough for a few reasons. First off, that's a lot to write, 3 pages! My hand was cramping up a lot, as it's been a long time since I've written much of anything by hand, but I think the practice is good. I mostly wrote about writing my morning pages, so not sure how valuable it was, but I think that makes sense for the first day. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Bonus Goal - Golf Practice - Will work on this this weekend!

Also planning to keep up with a couple other habits from previous challenges, namely my daily Hearthstone game, checking the NF forums daily, reading the paper, doing the litter boxes, and reading a bit of a book. I'm giving myself a bit more leeway with these since they're not "official" challenge goals, but keeping them in mind all the same.

• Like 2

Instagram

Good day one. I bought Tim Ferriss's book Tool of Titans, and am reading it. It's really fascinating so far. I think some of the interviewees have some crazy ideas, but some are really helpful, and even the crazy ones are inspiring. I was reading last night about a Wall Street Broker who decided to do the Idatarod. This morning, when the temp was below freezing I was tempted to skip my walk, but then I thought about that guy, and decided I could brave 25 degree F for thirty minutes.

• Like 1

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good day one. I bought Tim Ferriss's book Tool of Titans, and am reading it. It's really fascinating so far. I think some of the interviewees have some crazy ideas, but some are really helpful, and even the crazy ones are inspiring. I was reading last night about a Wall Street Broker who decided to do the Idatarod. This morning, when the temp was below freezing I was tempted to skip my walk, but then I thought about that guy, and decided I could brave 25 degree F for thirty minutes.

Agreed on some of the crazy ideas! I'm not ready for a full keto diet (not really interested either truth be told) and I kiiiinda wish he'd brought in some folks who advocate a more balanced diet as well, but eh. Stil really neat stuff.

20 hours ago, Marauder said:

Great challenge!  Is the Mrs on the forums as well?

She lurks but hasn't posted a challenge herself! I've also been informed by her she'd prefer to be known as Ms. Miz (try saying that 3 times fast). Trying to nudge her to post in the thread and say hi!

20 hours ago, Laghail said:

Excited to follow along again. Kuddos on the economist portion too. They have a podcast version that's sometimes easier, but it's all great.

Great to see you again! It's a neat read. I already have so many podcasts though! Mostly lighter ones, focused on gaming or TV shows. They used to do this great little mini morning podcast, like a 10 minute "here's the big stories of the day" thing, but they got rid of it unfortunately. It's too bad, it was great. I do like their little Espresso app though - kind of a written version of that old podcast, just a quick "here's what you need to know today" in 7 short articles.

Bodyweight Exercises - 3B this morning. Did some assisted pull ups with the rings, which felt great. I didn't have rings or a pull up bar on vacation, had to substitute some exercises, so nice to get back to those.

Photos/Measurements Weekly - Did this past weekend, so I aiming for next weekend.

MFP Logging - Getting better at this. Was under my calorie goal last night, and ordered a food scale for home to help measure and portion out things and get a more accurate idea of what I'm eating. Had a couple chocolates someone brought in to work today before checking them, and didn't realize how bad they were! Oh well, no more, and now I know. Not sure they were worth it, but eh, I'm still not doing too bad calorie wise.

5 Minutes of Economist Daily - Did yesterday and on the train this morning!

Morning Pages - Still getting hand cramps from this, and it's taking longer than I'd like, but interesting. Had some good career based conclusions get settled a bit today in those pages, so there does seem to be some value in it, though not sure it's ALL there.

• Like 3

Instagram

I've done low carb, but never keto. I think it would be interesting to try for a cycle. I did find it interesting when he talked about how he didn't lose any muscle mass. Also really fascinating how keto finally helped him cure Lyme disease.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I've done low carb, but never keto. I think it would be interesting to try for a cycle. I did find it interesting when he talked about how he didn't lose any muscle mass. Also really fascinating how keto finally helped him cure Lyme disease.

I'm a bit skeptical - it all sounds a bit too good to be true, for me. But I'm a born skeptic on that stuff! And to be honest I like my bread, my fruit and my cheese too much for that!

Instagram

Here to follow along again!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:09 PM, Mizbrek said:

Morning Pages - This is probably the focus of this challenge for me. A big part of my road map for this year is improving my thought processes and self confidence overall. I have a lot of negative self-talk and self-confidence issues, and I think this holds me back in many aspects of my life. With morning pages, the idea is that you write 3 stream of consciousness pages by hand every morning, to help clear your head and get you set for the day. I’m excited about this idea, and what it could do for me.

So you just write whatever pops into your head?  Interesting.  There are many times that my thoughts just run away from me and head to the same dark memories to kill my mood.   I wonder how this would help such things. 

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

1 hour ago, Broba Fett said:

Here to follow along again!

So you just write whatever pops into your head?  Interesting.  There are many times that my thoughts just run away from me and head to the same dark memories to kill my mood.   I wonder how this would help such things. 

Thanks for following around! And basically, yes. You're certainly allowed to direct it a bit though and direct your thoughts, and I find the act of writing it down (since I can't write nearly as fast as I can think) tends to help with that direction a bit. I haven't seen it go to a dark place, but I suppose that certainly could happen. Might be worth a shot though, maybe help shed some light on those things?

Instagram

I love morning pages! I've been doing them for a few years, both digitally and handwritten, and it gets to the point when I really notice if I haven't done them in a couple of days - like the extraneous detritus builds up in my head, or something.

Following for awesome, and for morning pages!

Stoney

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mizbrek said:

I'm a bit skeptical - it all sounds a bit too good to be true, for me. But I'm a born skeptic on that stuff! And to be honest I like my bread, my fruit and my cheese too much for that!

There has been some scientific evidence that low carb and keto lowers inflammation. I agree though, I get skeptical when they start listing it as curing everything. Same thing with Paleo.I think it helps, and I do feel healthier when I eat healthy, but it doesn't unfortunately cure all my problems instantaneously.:)

• Like 1

On 3 January 2017 at 4:09 AM, Mizbrek said:

I had a Creative Writing tutor that raved about these. Said they make no sense to you what so ever at first but over time they really help unblock your mind and sets your day up. It feels a little too much for me to start yet another daily habit yet though, so I'm definitely interested to see how it works out for you.

Good luck on your challenge!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

There has been some scientific evidence that low carb and keto lowers inflammation. I agree though, I get skeptical when they start listing it as curing everything. Same thing with Paleo.I think it helps, and I do feel healthier when I eat healthy, but it doesn't unfortunately cure all my problems instantaneously.:)

I'm always for moderation, in everything. I think eating more meat and whole foods can absolutely be great for you, but I also think some grains, breads and fruit can be too! Everything in moderation (including moderation!).

4 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I had a Creative Writing tutor that raved about these. Said they make no sense to you what so ever at first but over time they really help unblock your mind and sets your day up. It feels a little too much for me to start yet another daily habit yet though, so I'm definitely interested to see how it works out for you.

Good luck on your challenge!

You know it's funny so far. My normal routine is I work out after the morning pages, but the last couple days I've needed to take a break after writing to look up something or jot down something. Today I had some new loot goal ideas and wanted to research them a bit right after before I forgot. So it's been good so far!

• Like 1

Instagram

Quick update over lunch! Weight stayed the same today as yesterday - not great, but not bad!

Bodyweight Exercises - 3c this morning. Getting better at the bar hang, still not up to the 30 seconds 3C asks for, but around 15-20 now, which is an improvement!

Photos/Measurements Weekly - Did this past weekend, so I aiming for next weekend.

MFP Logging - Still better at this, and it definitely encourages me to make better choices. Near the end of last night I was feeling snacky and made better choices based on where my calories were at. Still overate if you don't count my exercise calories, but I feel a bit more comfortable counting those with the Apple Watch, since with the HR monitor I'm a bit more confident I'm getting a good reading of what I'm spending.

5 Minutes of Economist Daily - Will try and squeeze this in after this!

Morning Pages - Hand is cramping less! I ended up browsing again after this and I may need to make a habit of taking a few minutes to just take notes after I finish those, or as I'm doing them. Had some ideas about loot goals and thoughts on that and wanted to make sure I didn't lose them. Still got the workout done today though in good time!

• Like 3

Instagram

On 2017/01/03 at 5:09 AM, Mizbrek said:

The last challenge was tough around the holidays, but overall I’m giving myself a level for it. I worked out several days over vacation, I stayed pretty consistent with my Hearthstone, and I stayed pretty active in the community. Could’ve done better on the measurements, but I actually took those and pictures today! So not too bad overall. I failed mostly at the logging, and paid the price of jumping a few pounds over the holidays, but considering it was only about 5 pounds overall, I’m generally considering that okay.

You did great! I'm still in awe that you managed to train over vacation. Can't wait to see how well you're going to do this time round. Also when you golf, you can apparently go anywhere and play, or talk about it.

• Like 3

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

9 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

You did great! I'm still in awe that you managed to train over vacation. Can't wait to see how well you're going to do this time round. Also when you golf, you can apparently go anywhere and play, or talk about it.

Thanks! I'll admit that's part of the appeal of it for me - there are so many gorgeous golf courses and resorts that cater to golf, so it's a lovely excuse to visit, and if you can play there, well all the better!

Bodyweight Exercises - Back to 3A this morning!

Photos/Measurements Weekly - Did this past weekend, so I aiming for this weekend.

MFP Logging - Better at this. Indulged in some chocolate at work right now but still within calorie goals, though seeing as it's Ms. Miz's birthday today and we're going out I'll likely be a bit over. Oh well. Weight has ticked up a pound but I'm ascribing that more to natural flux and perhaps some residual pounds ticking over from the movies this weekend.

5 Minutes of Economist Daily - Will have to do on the train home!

Morning Pages - Getting better at this. Was feeling really tired this morning. A good book (John Scalzi's Human Division) is keeping me up late these days. Ended up browsing after the morning pages. Didn't even need to look up anything, just felt like it. Not great, but eh.

Bonus Goal - Golf Practice - Will work on this this weekend! Still debating on the big dome place that's further away and cheaper or the little simulator place that's closer but more expensive. Nice to actually see the balls go, but I suppose the simulators tend to be pretty accurate. We'll see. Likely the simulator I'm guessing. The dome is almost half an hour away from me, which is a bit much for a casual weekend drive.

• Like 4

Instagram

Found you! Following along :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Mizbrek said:

Thanks! I'll admit that's part of the appeal of it for me - there are so many gorgeous golf courses and resorts that cater to golf, so it's a lovely excuse to visit, and if you can play there, well all the better!

True. Here in South Africa with the famous Gary Player and more recent Ernie Els, they inspired many a golf course and golf housing estate to spring up. The place we are going away to end of January also has a golf course (but I think designed by a famous American golfer), but luckily also a mini-golf course for us "lesser inclined" people. :D

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

On 1/6/2017 at 6:26 PM, Yasha92 said:

Found you! Following along :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay! Welcome!

On 1/7/2017 at 3:21 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

True. Here in South Africa with the famous Gary Player and more recent Ernie Els, they inspired many a golf course and golf housing estate to spring up. The place we are going away to end of January also has a golf course (but I think designed by a famous American golfer), but luckily also a mini-golf course for us "lesser inclined" people. :D

Ah I love Ernie Els. I live near where they hold the Canadian Open and Ms. Miz and I made a special point of going to see him play when he was here for that. And yay for that! I'm definitely less inclined now but working on it! 

Had a bit of a rough weekend food wise. We went out on Friday to celebrate Ms. Miz's birthday, which was lovely, and a bit indulgent, but not too bad. However I drank a bit too much, and woke up feeling rough, and we ended up ordering in takeout for Saturday's dinner, and then again for Sunday lunch. I paid for it today - was up late with a stomach ache, my stomach is still a bit rough, and I didn't manage to work out this morning. In general feeling a bit beat down, but I need to remember this is just a setback, not the end of the road. I always fear when I miss a day that this is it, that I'll finally totally fall off the wagon, as I have withe very fitness thing I've ever done over time. Now I don't think I will or have. But that fear is there.

Regardless, the plan is to get back to it tomorrow morning.

Bodyweight Exercises - Missed this today. :(

Photos/Measurements Weekly - Missed this this weekend. I think I might aim for pictures and just do measurements at the end of the month. The measurements take a WHILE, so not sure it's really worth doing every week. Will try to take pics tonight.

MFP Logging - Missed this for the most part this weekend, but back on track today!

5 Minutes of Economist Daily - Gah totally forgot about this one. Will tackle this right after this!

Morning Pages - I've decided to have this one be a M-F practice. The reason mainly being that on weekends one of my singular pleasures is relaxing in bed with a book or my tablet, browsing away, or playing a game of Hearthstone. This is one of my favourite parts of the week, and I don't want to give that up. And since the point of morning pages is largely to do it right as you wake up, I think it doesn't make sense to do it on the weekends. Plus when I was journaling before using the 5-Minute Journal, I found I just wasn't doing it on the weekends anyway. So leaving that for the week. Did it this morning though!

Bonus Goal - Golf Practice - We tried out a spot with a simulator, had a great time! Fun little area. Might try a different spot next time though, just for variety, but the simulator things were more fun than I expected!

• Like 3

Instagram

Hope you feel better soon. Also, it is a win because you are stopping and realizing that it is the over eating and drinking that made you feel that way. Remember that, and next time you are tempted it will be easier to stop when you want,

• Like 2

On 1/9/2017 at 1:15 PM, Elastigirl said:

Hope you feel better soon. Also, it is a win because you are stopping and realizing that it is the over eating and drinking that made you feel that way. Remember that, and next time you are tempted it will be easier to stop when you want,

Thanks! Definitely going to try to next time!

Missed posting yesterday, apologies folks! I had to work through lunch to leave early for a meeting after work (which didn't end up happening due to weather) so was a bit busy. Was a stressful day overall though. Work is ramping back up quickly and it's been one of those days where every five minutes something new crops up. On top of that, I have a meeting tonight I'm a bit nervous about. Could be very good but will be very stressful, so I'm sitting here with my heartbeat a bit higher than I'd like and feeling super anxious. Yay stress?

Bodyweight Exercises - Got back to this yesterday and today and felt good with it. Oh! Need to go log my woodchoppers for the mini.

Photos/Measurements Weekly - Will try to take some photos tonight or tomorrow morning!

MFP Logging - Been better at this though failed yesterday afternoon. Still kept relatively good though in terms of choices.

5 Minutes of Economist Daily - Missed this the last couple days. Will try to fit in after this.

Morning Pages - Sticking with this. I'm not totally sure I'm seeing much value from it - it feels more chore than helpful, but we'll see. I'm going to try it for the remainder of the challenge M-F and we'll see how it goes.

Bonus Goal - Golf Practice - Getting back to this on the weekend! Debating simulator versus the enclosed driving range. We'll see.

• Like 3

Instagram

Apologies, I've fallen behind on your thread. Seems like week one is taking its toll on us, especially in terms of stress. Way to go on getting those woodchoppers in for the mini!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)