noxiousGnome gets back to the basics...

noxiousGnome

I have realized I need to do a bunch of returning to basics before I can do things to better myself overall. I need to return to a level of basic hygiene, basic manners, basic emotions, basic everything.

Normally I feel people do a physically/eating sort of challenge for their first of the year... I am going to do the basics.

1. I am going to perform basic hygiene on a daily basis. This is something I try to strive to do (be it taking a shower everyday, brushing my teeth, etc) I don't do this sort of things daily, I need to start taking better care of my body as a whole.

2. I am going to get my apartment clean and keep it that way. Let's face it. I am a slob and it needs to tend.

3. I want to throw this in here because it is important to me. I will drink a gallon of water a day. I hear this can be good or bad. But the truth of the reality is I need the hydration. I am in a state that is far hotter and more humid than I am actually from. (It is 45-46 here and where I am from is 37 right now.. SO that is about 10 degrees WARMER here. Hell, snow didn't exist all winter thus far and we had a green warm Christmas... It's crazy

4. I will stick to a budget, even if it is to break even. (This will benefit me in a future goal)

5. I will work on a roadmap for the next year. I have plans, just need to lay them and the foundation down.

• Like 3

Gnomish Superhero-In-Training S3|D3|S1|C3|W4.75|CH3

Gnomish Trials and Tribulations

1|2(a)|3|4
Gnomes Have Epic Quests Too! This gets updated as things get finished or I add more =D

I have one more 33.8oz bottle of water and 1 8oz cup of water to go to drink a Gallon of the today. I feel bloated lol. But not bad.

Edit the 2215 my time I did it! I drank a gallon of water.

In a little bit I will brush my teeth again and watch some Netflix with the wife before crashing.

Started budgeting today. Yay? Results at end of month.

In a few days I will post roadmap for 2017. Goals, steps, risks and dependencies, yay.

1|2(a)|3|4
Gnomes Have Epic Quests Too! This gets updated as things get finished or I add more =D

Recap of Day -5: I drank my gallon of water. Felt a bit bloated but otherwise okay. Once I was about 4 hours into it though I was taking like 5 minute bathroom breaks every half hour or so... It was insane. I finished about 12 hours after I started yesterday! Yay! I showered, lotioned, and brushed my teeth twice yesterday (that's a feat for me w00T!)

We got laundry washed and a fair amount of it folded, but none put away yet... Tonight when I get home I plan on getting dishes done and the rest of laundry that was washed folded and prepped for being put away. I hope to get it put away but if it isn't I will not fret it and be sure to do it tomorrow after work.

Here's a list of cleaning that needs to be done:

1. Laundry - All dirty clothes washed, folded, and put away (this does not include maintenance.)
  2. Dishes - All dirty dishes in sink and counter to be washed and put away the following day or as soon as dry.
  3. Kitchen
  4. Bathroom
  5. Bedrooms
  6. Living Room
  7. Closets
  8. Arts n Crafts drawers
  9. Izzy's drawings and toys
  10. Books/DvDs
  11. Dusting
  12. Sweeping/Mopping
  13. Vacuuming

These are not in any order of priority. They are just when I recall them. Once they are clean to the point of satisfaction I will start with the maintaining part of the ordeal. 

Week 0 Day -4

- Showered, Lotioned, brushed teeth, etc. Got 2 bottles of water prepped for the day. Lunch in bag and at I am already at work. The day is starting... strong. >.> Next post will be tonight or tomorrow morning. 

Finished my gallon of water an hour ago. Dishes mostly done. Brushed teethed second time today. Time for bed.

1|2(a)|3|4

Recap of Day -4: I rocked it! Showered, drank a gallon of water in 12 hours again (not bad if I say so actually), brushed my teeth twice... Something tells me I am going far too easy on myself... With that portion of the quest.

Well, I guess it balances out though with the other goals. Nothing was spent yesterday so budgeting is still spot on and accounted for. I did most of the dishes last night, will finish them up today after we go grocery shopping. Tonight I plan to also get all our clean clothes folded and put away.

Wife gets paid today so I got to make sure I get her income written down in our spreadsheet so I can keep track of things for us.

So Goals 1,3, 4 I am 2/2 so far

Goal 2 I am .5/2

Goal 5 I am 0/2 -- I really need to do this. >.>

Week 0 Day -3:

I showered, brushed teeth, lotioned, etc this morning. WiN! Started my water for the day about ten minutes ago, so there is that yay!

Just got done reading the latest blog on the NF blog and I felt amazing and envious of those that went to Camp NF last Fall. I wish I could go (one of these years maybe)

But that blog ended with a question from Steve, and one I am going to respond to here. He wanted to know what our non-fitness specialization is. Mine is software development. I am a professional developer (by hobby, by educational degree, and by actual job.) so I want to strive to be the best I can be. I am branching out and learning new skills to accomplish this: Testing, Automated Testing, better Analysis, Better coding standards, etc. New languages and tech stacks. (Old languages and tech stacks for giggles and hey! you can still learn off of them!)

1|2(a)|3|4

Week 0 Day -3: Showered, Lotioned, all that stuff.. I drank my full gallon of water =O yay!

I will get a picture up shortly, so we can see how I am doing. I will give you guys some results and a bit more input on this.

Still need to do cleaning >.>

1|2(a)|3|4

Week 0 Day -1: Dishes are almost done, I think our washing machine is frozen/not working? Which sucks cause it has clothes in it currently. Hopefully I can get that fixed or running soon.

I still need to shower and get Izzy bathed.

Started my water late today, so let's see if I finish it.

1|2(a)|3|4

Attached are my pre-challenge image. Let's see how well I change in the first 4 week challenge.

Sorry they are me in my underwear in my bathroom (getting ready to take my shower and such so...) 

According to our bathroom scale I am at about 165.8 pounds (I do not weigh myself much so I will check in at the beginning and end of every challenge that I am apart of.)

Spoiler

Snapshot_20170107_5.JPGSnapshot_20170107_7.JPGSnapshot_20170107_3.JPG

1|2(a)|3|4

That is the plan Baldilocks.

Well, here is my update thus far: I didn't accomplish ANY goals yesterday the first day of the challenge, daughter was not feeling well and wife had to prep for a procedure. Today I am about a bottle and a half shy of my water, won't be able to accomplish that in 20 minutes. But I did take a shower and what not today so win there. Brushed teeth twice. Wife had her procedure today, everything looks good yay.

Another day another notch I guess/ Tomorrow starts anew.

1|2(a)|3|4

1/10: I think I accomplished my water goal (I can't remember frankly) this past week has been crazy with brain power usage, has not been pretty at all. Showered, etc. Didn't do any cleaning, etc (It was my birthday... The big 3-0)... eh

Work has been tough on me getting this code in and it is kicking my ass (Seriously I am struggling with it)

1/11: Showered (Even though I feel like I missed lathering my body... But I think I did that just don't remember, as I said blurry week so far), Dishes were done before dinner. Will do the rest tomorrow (if wifey doesn't do them first) Laundry still needs to be done. I completed my water today yay! So that is a plus...

On the water bit: Here is what I noticed so far: No matter what I am drinking, if it isn't water I am still insanely thirsty afterwards. Coffee made me super tired this morning (first cup since i started the water in the morning... It's weird), My lips are ALWAYS feeling dry until I drink water, seriously it's weird. I pee like crazy (but that is to be expected) I feel bloated at times, but not sure if that is caused from food choices that produce gas or the water consumption.

Today was a weird day, usually I am talking to my coworkers and team mates at work, but today I was literally zoned into my code, trying to figure out the problem at hand... (I am getting closer to the solution just struggling to finish it.) I really need to crank it out tomorrow morning though (I hate shellscript)

Gonna go brush my teeth and then head to bed (it is about 2315 here now)

1|2(a)|3|4

Thursday and Friday I accomplished bathroom routine and water,.. It has been crazy at work and it hasn't been helpful with home stuff honestly.Same with Friday. Wife had the last two days off so she has done some cleaning, which I will not be counting towards my goals but it does help nonetheless.

My wife got me a new book last night it is an Organized Work Life in a year, I have been on a kick of reading these self-help, organize your life kind of books lately and I find them relaxing oddly enough. Good reads. Mostly I want to see my options as I move through my life. Today is going to be interesting. Sleep was hard last night -- our daughter woke up in the middle of the night with a bad earache, took most of the evening to get it to let her sleep so we could sleep. Then wifey had to get up early and head to work... So a total of maybe 3 hours of sleep...So far, I am about to crash here  but I wanted to update here before I forgot.

Goals today:

1. Shower, Shave, etc

2. Water... Water... Water

3. Finish up clothes and our closet. Our closet looks like a nightmare, so I want to get it clean and looking nice.

4. Dishes

3 and 4 will tackle three of the items on my list below from the 4th. as done and then into maintenance phase (Which we do have a plan already in place for once we get there. We did it in NY and it worked well, we will do it again here) The plan was simple, once that room/area/item is completely finished -- cleaned, picked up, in order, etc we take the few minutes a day in the evening addressing the parts that need to be picked up and put away. 

On 1/4/2017 at 7:44 AM, noxiousGnome said:
  • Laundry - All dirty clothes washed, folded, and put away (this does not include maintenance.)
  • Dishes - All dirty dishes in sink and counter to be washed and put away the following day or as soon as dry.
  • Kitchen
  • Bathroom
  • Bedrooms
  • Living Room
  • Closets
  • Arts n Crafts drawers
  • Izzy's drawings and toys
  • Books/DvDs
  • Dusting
  • Sweeping/Mopping
  • Vacuuming

That book my wife got me actually has job related organization things broken down into months, I had a organize your life book (well I think it was actually the house) when I was in NY (so it is probably in storage right now) that did something similar where you focused on a room every week/month and got it completely clean. I mean completely clean. What is nice though is this is the first book that mentions the intertwining of life at work and life at home and how they feed off one another, so it looks like it is going to be an interesting read (It is so far at least)

So yeah, that's my update!

1|2(a)|3|4

Update on the water so far. It has been a week and a half now and honestly, drinking water has never been so easy. I carry around one of two 33.8 fl oz bottles of water with me daily, I go to work with both, I end up filling them both up at least one during the day and go home with only 1 full one.Most days that is. Some days I have left with half a bottle. So I am killing this challenge.

A few things I have noticed more and more though. My lips feel constantly dry, I am literally constantly. Between drinks my lips feel like they have never been touched by the wetness of water. It drives me utterly crazy. I have tried applying chapstick to them but it does nothing but soak it up and still remain insanely dry feeling. So far drinking water works the best. Since I started this I have had ONE cup of coffee... ONE and honestly, it was amazing to have, but it made me feel sluggish and dumb. But I wanted it anyway. Addiction? Most likely. I noticed I haven't ate a lot of candies or sweets during the day. I use to run to the vending machine constantly to get something to eat: a snickers bar, m&ms, cookies... Whatever... Now I just run to the bathroom... A lot. I guess that is better? I spend a lot of time in the bathroom.. Luckily that duration of work to bathroom breaks is improving. I can go about 45 minutes on the lower end to an hour on the max end before having to pee. Again, I am always drinking water. >.>

Also, don't get me wrong, I am still eating a lot, I am not tracking it so I dunno how much though... Maybe next challenge... Maybe. -nods-

I feel that my zit issue I has having around my one eye is pretty much gone, that might be from the daily showers thought too.. But I am going to attribute it to my water too.

I don't feel as bloated all the time now, it is almost magical though, all this water and I don't feel bloated most days. I don't feel as if I am getting more energy yet, I feel the urge to want to do more around the house though -- just have not acted on it... Yet. Today though I shall... After I shower >.> I already shaved and am getting ready to brush my teeth and then I will be hopping in the shower and have my full morning ritual done for the day.. Even though it is 1130 in the morning... (as I mentioned earlier, daughter was up a good chunk of the night so it made sleep hard... I just woke up about a half hour ago... >.>)

Today water is going to be tough.... I think, let's see.

1|2(a)|3|4

Finally started on my water for today. However, budget is up-to-date and the kitchen has been cleaned. yay My list has been updated to the following:

On 1/4/2017 at 7:44 AM, noxiousGnome said:
  • Laundry - All dirty clothes washed, folded, and put away (this does not include maintenance.)
  • Dishes - All dirty dishes in sink and counter to be washed and put away the following day or as soon as dry.
  • Kitchen
  • Bathroom
  • Bedroom - Izzy's
  • Bedroom - Ours
  • Living Room/Dining Room
  • Hallways
  • Closets - Izzy's
  • Closets - Ours
  • Arts n Crafts drawers
  • Izzy's drawings and toys
  • Books/DvDs
  • Dusting
  • Sweeping/Mopping - Kitchen
  • Sweeping/Mopping - Entryway
  • Sweeping/Mopping - Bathroom
  • Vacuuming - Living Room/Dining Room
  • Vacuuming - Izzy's Room
  • Vacuuming - Our Room
  • Vacuuming - Hallways

I expanded it a little and updated it some so that it was more precise. Roadmap still is not done, working on that.

1|2(a)|3|4

Sunday was fail on the gallon I did drink a lot though. Just not enough. Housework was minimal, budget is updated.

Yesterday water was good. Signed up for a gym membership through work. Did an arm day with roommate and a co-worker of his. They play rugby. Legs ache from the sprints and arms are a little sore.

Oh and I showered and all that both days

1|2(a)|3|4

Water has been slow starting... I am nearly done though. About half a bottle left before I reach my goal for the day yay.

I showered and all that this morning. I walked quite a bit today, felt good on the calves and my arms... They are still a bit sore though... Eh it happens.

House work has been non-existent today... Gods I really need to get better with this stuff. >.<

1|2(a)|3|4

Finished water last night... Totally forgot to brush my teeth before going to bed last night.

Got up late today. Well later than normal. Showered and such... Forgot to take allergy meds. Ugh. Prepping water now.

1|2(a)|3|4

Yesterday I completed water, showered and brushed teeth twice. These are going self maintenance goals are going well.

Cleaning still is sacrificed. Today wife and I are looking to requalify for our apartment with just us. Let's see what happens.

Got a haircut today looks good feels good.

Water is slow. Not quite a liter done yet.

1|2(a)|3|4

Been quiet pretty much every other day...

Recap time: I apparently misplaced my bank card since Wednesday... Which is NOT good for me >.< I need it real soon for bills and such and that's just not fun.

Spent most of today cleaning our bedroom and looking for it, but no luck... I am trying to retrace my steps but so far no luck... I am almost thinkin' I left it at work >.<

Water was good yesterday, Still got about a bottle and a half to finish for today though...

Budgetting has been forgotten to write down, but I can update it later... I think?

We shall see >.<

I didn't shower or anything today yet, prolly won't either due to all the cleaning I want to/need to get done still

1|2(a)|3|4

This past week has been a flurry of busy-ness. I showered daily but never completed my water every day. It has been sad but I was still drinking quite a bit of water. Will keep this up.

1|2(a)|3|4