Yeah, I said it.

Years of half-hearted stretching hasn't entirely changed my life, shockingly, so it's time for a small change. Which means accepting that it's a long journey and starting it right.

Concentrating on soft tissue is my way forward for now. I've been reading and listening to Coach Sommer at Gymnastic Bodies, and noting that most of my aches and pains are down to soft tissue issues (oh yes), and that they take longer than muscles to sort out. I'm in it for the long haul, and I'm going to do the Gymnastic Bodies Daily Limber every day to slowly loosen up and rehabilitate my body. Slowly.

Also taking it slowly will be... my head. I've been banging on about mindfulness, with fitful practice for ages. When I meditate regularly, it helps, so I'm going to meditate, even for a short amount of time, every day.

What else have I been talking the talk but not walking the run/walk with? Oh yeah, Couch to 5K. Taking it slowly at first, of course. Started it with my partner this weekend. Hooray!

And I'd like to do more productive sitting down, so I'm going to see at least one play during this challenge.

That'll probably do for now, though I'll keep working on my debt, and we've also started the guitar.

A fullish New Year plate, hopefully not too full.

1)_Do GB Daily Limber every morning_____________ (28)

2) _Meditate for five minutes every day____________ (28)

3) _See at least one play_______________________ (1)

4) _Do couch to 5k with Ali three times per week_____ (12)

• Like 2

Level 0 Human Adventurer

STR - 1; DEX - 1; STA - 0; CON - 0; WIS - 1; CHA - 1

Slow is good. It's not always easy to get excited about and stick with, but definitely pays off in the long run. What sort of play are you interested in seeing? Also (if I'm not asking too many questions) what is the GB Daily Limber? Is it a set routine or something you develop for yourself?

• Like 2

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

On 1/3/2017 at 8:16 AM, Manarelle said:

Slow is good. It's not always easy to get excited about and stick with, but definitely pays off in the long run. What sort of play are you interested in seeing? Also (if I'm not asking too many questions) what is the GB Daily Limber? Is it a set routine or something you develop for yourself?

I second this! 

It takes time to build habits. It might feel like you're wasting time but you are not. One day you will do one of the things you are working on automatically and it will finally click. It's a great thing to remember when you lose focus. :) 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I've been updating once a week, though I'm aware it doesn't look like that, dammit! No idea what went wrong.

So, briefly, things are going from average to good, really. I've missed a few daily limber days, and a few meditation days, so those aren't going as well, but I keep getting back on those horses, so all is not lost. I've probably done 50% of the meditation days so far, and a few more daily limbers.

(The daily limber is a stretching and dynamic stretching routine from gymnasticbodies.com , which I'm finding massively helpful).

I'm going to see Amadeus at the National Theatre (London) on Thursday. Really looking forward to that. And I'm in the process of giving my career a boot up the arse - I've always been terrible at the business side of acting, so I'm sorting that out this month as January's always frighteningly quiet.

Couch to 5k is going really well. We haven't missed any runs, which I'm very chuffed about. Running with a partner makes it so much easier and keeps me so much more honest! I might have missed a few if it weren't for Ali, if for no other reason than it's a bit bloody cold out. (Though this is London-cold - Canadians feel free to laugh in my face.)

So, in general, all is moving in the right direction. Hooray!

• Like 2

Level 0 Human Adventurer

Boo to missing updates. That's so frustrating when you get everything typed up and it just vanishes. Glad to hear things are progressing, though! Cold is all relative; I have a friend way down south who complains when it's what I'd call chilly, and another friend up north who says negative degrees are just fine. Keep it up, you've got this!

• Like 2

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Congrats on all of your progress and for getting back up after you fell. Yay another Gymnastic Bodies person! :) How goes the daily limber? I'm assuming its the Fundamentals Block 4-Lesson 21: Daily Limber yes?  I'm currently doing their stretch series 3x per week (one day per series, front split, middle split, and thoracic bridge) and finding it very useful even though I have to modify everything pretty heavily because I'm so inflexible >_< Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

On 25/01/2017 at 0:57 PM, Ryuu1011 said:

Congrats on all of your progress and for getting back up after you fell. Yay another Gymnastic Bodies person! :) How goes the daily limber? I'm assuming its the Fundamentals Block 4-Lesson 21: Daily Limber yes?  I'm currently doing their stretch series 3x per week (one day per series, front split, middle split, and thoracic bridge) and finding it very useful even though I have to modify everything pretty heavily because I'm so inflexible >_< Keep up the good work!

Yes! It's that one. I'm finding it really helpful, as I'm crazy inflexible. When I've got a bit more cash I think I'll get one of the stretch series, as that's the thing I have most problems with. Though it would be great to move on to Foundation.

• Like 1

Level 0 Human Adventurer

This time I have no-one to blame but myself. I've just totally forgotten to update.

Challenge round-up.

I've moved every day, not necessarily the whole daily limber, but some daily limbering. I'm pleased with that.

Fell off the meditation wagon again. Why is that so hard?! Presumably because being silent with oneself can be hard.

I saw two plays! Both in London. Amadeus at the National and The Convert at the Gate. Both terrific.

Couch 2 5k is going really well. We're up to 20 minute runs. Didn't think I'd be able to get there, so really really pleased.

Slow and steady works.

ONWARDS!

Hope you all went great guns in your challenges.

x

• Like 2

Level 0 Human Adventurer