[Sylvaa] Intention

Sylvaa

Sounds like it may be a blessing in thin disguise.  I hope your grandmother recovers well and that the outcome is good for your whole family.

Working at McD's may just make your son want to eat there more often due to employment perks.  I've stayed away from food-service with all of my job choices because nothing good would come of my particular brand of (lack of) discipline. :D

• Like 2

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Spreadsheets

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope they get that housing.

• Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Thanks for the support peeps! 

Truthfully, the fact of matter is that they are old. My grandparents are both in their 80's. I know a lot of people who haven't even had half the time with their grandparents that I have and I am thankful and blessed for that. As they get older and they can't do all that they used to, we (family) can see how much it bothers them, and I don't want that. They have lived a long and full life, and if this is the end, then I don't want them to hang on with this sense of grief over what they can no longer do. I want them to go down with a smile and a laugh.

I spend last night wrapped up in light reading and some dark chocolate (still within calories though!). It was nice and let me think without dwelling, so I'm going to be sappy for a minute - sorry in advance.

My grandfather was the first person I recall ever showing me that family is there to pick you up when you fall. When I was younger, we lived in Germany. One year, my grandparents came to visit and we went to Italy (my great-grandparents came over on "the boat", so we went to visit some family that still lived there) and we went to the Mediterranean. I was pretty young, standing in the waves with my grandpa and the waves kept knocking me over. So he'd pick me up sputtering, set me down, I'd inform him that I could do it, he'd let go, and we'd repeat. This should probably give you pretty good insight into my character. 

When I got married, my grandpa wrote me a letter. It was a copy of a homily he did for a wedding he officiated (my grandpa is an ordained deacon in the Catholic church). It said, "Love is patient, love is kind. Love is also tolerance and heartbreak. In the grand scheme of the universe, we are tiny and insignificant. Yet one of the first things we search for is love. We pass it down as our legacy to our children. Your grandmother and I have stayed married because we've celebrated both our joys and our sorrows. We've found the one special person who makes the journey worthwhile. This is the legacy I pass to you. Love when it hurts, laugh when it doesn't, and pray for many years to watch your family grow and to grow old together." 

• Like 16
34 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

My grandfather was the first person I recall ever showing me that family is there to pick you up when you fall. When I was younger, we lived in Germany. One year, my grandparents came to visit and we went to Italy (my great-grandparents came over on "the boat", so we went to visit some family that still lived there) and we went to the Mediterranean. I was pretty young, standing in the waves with my grandpa and the waves kept knocking me over. So he'd pick me up sputtering, set me down, I'd inform him that I could do it, he'd let go, and we'd repeat. This should probably give you pretty good insight into my character. 

When I got married, my grandpa wrote me a letter. It was a copy of a homily he did for a wedding he officiated (my grandpa is an ordained deacon in the Catholic church). It said, "Love is patient, love is kind. Love is also tolerance and heartbreak. In the grand scheme of the universe, we are tiny and insignificant. Yet one of the first things we search for is love. We pass it down as our legacy to our children. Your grandmother and I have stayed married because we've celebrated both our joys and our sorrows. We've found the one special person who makes the journey worthwhile. This is the legacy I pass to you. Love when it hurts, laugh when it doesn't, and pray for many years to watch your family grow and to grow old together." 

That is fantastic!  Thank you for sharing it.  

Hoping the best for your grandparents. 

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Couldn't read the entirety of your last post but sending hugs in your general direction. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

That is beautiful and yes, sappy. But sappy is wonderful.

Thank you for sharing. <3

• Like 3

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

So I FINALLY finished a program. I got through all 31 days of the yoga revolution. *dances* Take that Ranger-brain! (Note: I did not do the 31st day, I did an alternative routine of similar length. The last day was a "free program" day, where you can use Adriene as a guide, but she doesn't talk through the practice. While that is probably great if you are used to yoga, I am not ready for that kind of responsibility). 

Started Day 1 of Athena's Playbook yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised with my ability to do the workout (non-running Cardio). Apparently, something I am doing has been working at least a little bit. I need to take progress pictures and see if there has been any change in the way I look. I'm not seeing anything, but I'm also super critical of myself when it comes to the way I look. 

I've finally gotten through listing goals and then my loot for meeting those goals. Now I'm working on how to get there over the next few months. I really need to make a 2017 road map, but I'm not quite there yet. 

Also, this week was a really strong eating week for me. I'm hoping to see it reflected at least a little bit on the scale. 

Finally, I need some hair advice. My hair has gotten really long. I usually go through a cycle of let my hair grow out, cut it short (not like a pixie cut, but too short for a ponytail), regret it when exercising, let it grow, repeat. I need some ideas for what the heck to do with my unruly mop. 

• Like 13
3 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Finally, I need some hair advice. My hair has gotten really long. I usually go through a cycle of let my hair grow out, cut it short (not like a pixie cut, but too short for a ponytail), regret it when exercising, let it grow, repeat. I need some ideas for what the heck to do with my unruly mop. 

I'm the same - I grow it long, visit the salon just to get a style put in and come out with really short hair because I just can't just get a style put in, I always ask for it cut short despite not actually wanting to. It's crazy. So I learned how to cut layers in myself so I am not tempted to get it all cut off. Which reminds me, I need to do that soon. 

But I digress - do you mean what can you do with it when you're training? Because I usually twist it up into a messy bun and it keeps it out of my face. 

• Like 2

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Just now, deftona said:

But I digress - do you mean what can you do with it when you're training? Because I usually twist it up into a messy bun and it keeps it out of my face. 

No, sorry. I need ideas with what to do with it on a daily working basis. I generally just keep it down for the first part of the day, but by mid-afternoon, I've got it up in a ponytail. And while it's fine for my current project, it is debatable whether the next one will be okay with it. 

I've never learned to do my hair or make-up, so I need some stylish things I can do for looking professional that will keep my hair out of my face. But they need to be pretty easy, because I take like 20 minutes to get ready in the morning (including a shower) and I don't own a curling iron / straightener / etc... 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Sylvaa said:

No, sorry. I need ideas with what to do with it on a daily working basis. I generally just keep it down for the first part of the day, but by mid-afternoon, I've got it up in a ponytail. And while it's fine for my current project, it is debatable whether the next one will be okay with it. 

I've never learned to do my hair or make-up, so I need some stylish things I can do for looking professional that will keep my hair out of my face. But they need to be pretty easy, because I take like 20 minutes to get ready in the morning (including a shower) and I don't own a curling iron / straightener / etc... 

Ah, ok. 

On a daily basis, I just do the "some up, some down" style. It keeps it out of my face and it looks like I could be arsed to do something with it, despite the fact it takes me about a minute and I often don't even bother to brush it. 

f85694819f197ceb76eeac63216fd276.jpg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, deftona said:

On a daily basis, I just do the "some up, some down" style. It keeps it out of my face and it looks like I could be arsed to do something with it, despite the fact it takes me about a minute and I often don't even bother to brush it. 

So for real, how do you make it not look like crap from behind? Or do you just roll with it anyway? 

I have made it almost 35 years without knowing anything about this kind of stuff. *grumble grumble* Note: I probably could continue to just roll with not caring, but as I interact more and more with vendors and clients, I need to not look like I rolled out of bed and threw on some clothes. 

Okay, done whining. Thank you!

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

So for real, how do you make it not look like crap from behind? Or do you just roll with it anyway? 

I have made it almost 35 years without knowing anything about this kind of stuff. *grumble grumble* Note: I probably could continue to just roll with not caring, but as I interact more and more with vendors and clients, I need to not look like I rolled out of bed and threw on some clothes. 

Okay, done whining. Thank you!

I don't know if I do, I can't see that ;) 

I am pretty sure it looks ok though, Just use your hands to feel to make sure it's straight and not messy and comb through the bits you tied up at the back to smooth them out. I have really sleek and straight hair though (the exact same colour as that picture I posted incidentally, but unfortunately not as gorgeously curly) so I can feel if there are any fly aways.

• Like 4

MAN I feel you on these hair issues. I have no idea how to put my hair up in a way that looks remotely professional. I highly recommend watching YouTube videos for ideas, because it helps me to see all the little things that people do that they might not think to explain. Apparently "running late hairstyles" is a thing so hopefully those are quick? Although a lot of youtubers don't understand the word simple. 

• Like 5

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

For a long time when I had long hair, my everyday go-to was to have it up in a butterfly clip like this. Basically I would gather my hair as if to make a pony tail, then twist it around a couple times, fold it kind of up against my head, and clip it. The picture below has loose bits at the top, which I sometimes did for a more casual look, but you can also tuck the end back into the clip so it's all tidy and self-contained. Once you're used to it, it takes less than 30 seconds, and you can re-do it throughout the day as needed without needing a mirror or styling products or pins or anything like that.

One of my Latin profs once told me it was a very "typically ancient Roman" way for a woman to wear her hair, which made me love it 300% more.

670px-Put-Your-Hair-Up-with-a-Jaw-Clip-S

• Like 6

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
28 minutes ago, Severine said:

For a long time when I had long hair, my everyday go-to was to have it up in a butterfly clip like this. Basically I would gather my hair as if to make a pony tail, then twist it around a couple times, fold it kind of up against my head, and clip it. The picture below has loose bits at the top, which I sometimes did for a more casual look, but you can also tuck the end back into the clip so it's all tidy and self-contained. Once you're used to it, it takes less than 30 seconds, and you can re-do it throughout the day as needed without needing a mirror or styling products or pins or anything like that.

One of my Latin profs once told me it was a very "typically ancient Roman" way for a woman to wear her hair, which made me love it 300% more.

670px-Put-Your-Hair-Up-with-a-Jaw-Clip-S

This was always my go-to as well. I just forgot because my hair hasn't been long enough to do it forever. So +1

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

23 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

*points at his profile picture*

Hair-Clipper1.jpg

My wife does a thing that she calls Rosettes with her hair and a bunch of Bobby Pins. Unfortunately my two minutes of googling it lead to much more complicated things than what she does and you can bet I don't know how to do them. If you want me to ask her to find a tutorial, let me know. The best thing about the rosettes is that when they come out they leave a pretty naturally, good looking wave in the hair. 

• Like 2

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

16 hours ago, Severine said:

Thank you! I can totally try this! Also, yeah, the ancient Roman thing is a huge plus. 

13 hours ago, weaver said:

Best wishes to your grandparents, congratulations on finishing the yoga program (I had that same "you want me to do it all alone on the last day? I don't think so!" problem with the one I did), and glad to hear that you've already moved on to and are excited about a new program!

And I'm also a fan of YNAB and of throwing hair up in a butterfly clilp.

Yeah, I might have felt differently about the last day if I weren't such a yoga n00b. So I still got in a full day of yoga, and probably was better off for it because I wasn't just going through like two poses for 35 minutes. It was kind of a let down for me, unlike the people who were crying about the experience (which, by the way was weird to me, but whatever - it takes all kinds). 

11 hours ago, maegs said:

I hope your grandparents are doing better. And good luck with your hair!

Everything is status quo with the grandparents right now, so that is a good thing. No update yet on the housing thing, but fingers are crossed throughout my family (note: this is a lot). My mom is flying up to stay with them for a week, so she's going to call me and get some advice on things that we can get set up. 

Just now, The Most Loathed said:

My wife does a thing that she calls Rosettes with her hair and a bunch of Bobby Pins. Unfortunately my two minutes of googling it lead to much more complicated things than what she does and you can bet I don't know how to do them. If you want me to ask her to find a tutorial, let me know. The best thing about the rosettes is that when they come out they leave a pretty naturally, good looking wave in the hair. 

We've actually already got clippers like that for the boys, but I can rock it with the glasses. Now, if I go back to contacts, I could probably get away with it. 

I've got a mental picture of Rosettes and oh my goodness, I'm pretty sure your wife is magic! I appreciate it, but not necessary. Bobby pins do not stay in my hair very well (I've got ridiculously thick hair. My daughter has the same issue and has to use about 50 at a time to make them stay in). Also, my hair does not curl. :ambivalence: It makes me sad, because hair like that looks so pretty. I've got a small natural wave - just enough to keep it from being perfectly straight - but there is no amount of hair spray / setting spray / etc... that will keep curl in my hair for longer than an hour. 

As a side note, I'm pretty sure that when you google "professional hairstyles for long hair", there are before porn pictures included. I'm afraid to click on some of the links.

Also, my cat has decided that she is 100% done with the puppy. It is quite possibly one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

• Like 8
32 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

AND to cap off my luck when finding professional hairstyles on the internet, this little gem popped up:

e79015093afb312c479660ad2fd68663.jpg

I am going to figure out how to do this just to wear it to work.

I had hair like that once. It was the morning after the night before when I passed out in a bathroom for three hours. Who knew I was so fashionable! 

• Like 6

When my hair was long enough to do anything with, I liked the inside-out ponytail. There are a lot of videos and variations on youtube but you won't need any of them for the basic style:

Gather a low, loose ponytail on your neck rather than on the back of your skull. Secure it with an elastic band. Part the hair above the band in halves with your fingers, then turn the band up and through the hole you just made, and pull the tail down and through. Tighten and fluff by pulling the tail apart slightly. Once you've done it a few times, it only takes a few seconds longer than a normal ponytail, but looks a lot more polished. 

Also, collect a bunch of decorative barrettes and such like this. You can either do the half-and-half ponytail like @deftona posted above, or as a clip for a regular low ponytail. Again, zero time invested but it looks good and keeps the hair out of your eyes. 

• Like 3

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin