karinajean IS UNSTOPPABLE.

karinajean

15 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

I READ THE WHOLE THREAD YAY. I no longer feel like worst, least supportive friend evar! <3

I hope you get a bit more R&R this week! The last week/ few weeks sounded like a doozy!  I am so glad you made it to the DC march though!! WOOT WOOT.

you are so charming and ridiculous! you are a wonderful friend. <3 <3 <3

14 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

See thread title.

LOLZ would you believe I totally forgot about that? Ha!

10 hours ago, Kishi said:

That being said, your math is different. My parents don't cook for me; they only have themselves to worry about. They don't have to keep peace for me, you know what I mean?

In your situation, if I may suggest, why not do a little of both? Focus on eating clean and being super jealous about your periworkout nutrition, and then letting dinner go where it will? I've seen that work for busy people/professionals/family folk before, and it gives you the opportunity to fill up on higher quality calories to balance out the bad. Because, right now, it sounds like a case of trying to outfight your fork, and girl, the fork ain't even breathing hard.

Which it couldn't because... tines, and... no lungs, and... look, it's a metaphor, all right. Hopefully the point is made.

yeah, I mean, we all know you can't outrun your fork (except for that time that @Hazard totally did that but those were very extreme circumstances) and right now I'm hardly running myself, regardless of what the fork is doing. I def think my diet needs a tweak, but I hate restricting what I eat. it's REALLY BORING. so I'm wondering if I went all in if that would work - if the obsession with following a strict program well and meeting that goal would be enough of an incentive to overcome the BOREDOM.

or maybe I really need to totally mix up my exercise program and 1. maybe do it regularly, oy! and 2. work in more muscle building programs because I have been meaning to anyway, and if I had more muscle my fork wouldn't be outclassing me so heavily in this match.

8 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

The point is made, 4 times because it is a fork.

:D

Tick-Spoon.jpg

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I think it boils down to exactly how important it is to you? 

11 minutes ago, sylph said:

This is really the question. Among all the other stuff you're doing, how much do you want to focus on what you're eating? Would it be a welcome distraction or would it be one more stressor adding to the load?

I'm not a huge fan of restricting my diet, but I do want to lose some of the softness I have around my middle. When I've got a set lunch at work I do much better, but in the past that's been something like trader joe's freezer meals, or something similar. I don't even like chicken? so that's really my most extreme case. doing some lunch batch cooking would benefit me regardless of what it is going to be. staying away from pizza would also benefit me. and the problem is that it HASN'T been that important to me, possibly because every time I decide it's important I don't see any changes and therefore it's easy for me to assume that wth it's just not going to work so why try so hard?

but like I said above, I think the real answer probably has something to do with maybe doing the work a little more regularly, and a little different.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Week 4 Day 3

GOOD NEWS I WENT TO THE GYM TODAY!

I ran for 1.25 miles, stretched a bunch, then ran for another 1.25 miles. then stretched a bunch and did some bicycles, then showered. My gym has been undergoing an interminable bathroom/locker room renovation project - it's been going on for at least a month, such that I can tell - and today the women's locker room was down to 2 showers, accessible by plywood bridge through a dusty construction area (happily with no dudes in it). at least there was lots of hot water. that kept the grouchy ladies a little less grouchy.

I also took photos this morning. that's round 3 for this challenge, which is not exactly as many as I wanted, but better than ever before. I need another round of measurements too.

tonight we have tkd, which is great. I'm still going through the day with a feeling of dread. I'm trying to focus on things that are aspirational for my better life. I'm also making phone calls, trying to log things in my hobobujo a little better.

tomorrow is gym again! yas.

• Like 8

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

4 hours ago, karinajean said:

yeah, I mean, we all know you can't outrun your fork (except for that time that @Hazard totally did that but those were very extreme circumstances) and right now I'm hardly running myself, regardless of what the fork is doing.

photo IMG_7580_zpsqloc5thh.jpg

• Like 3

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

6 hours ago, karinajean said:

yeah, I mean, we all know you can't outrun your fork (except for that time that @Hazard totally did that but those were very extreme circumstances) and right now I'm hardly running myself, regardless of what the fork is doing. I def think my diet needs a tweak, but I hate restricting what I eat. it's REALLY BORING. so I'm wondering if I went all in if that would work - if the obsession with following a strict program well and meeting that goal would be enough of an incentive to overcome the BOREDOM.

Go all in for just a little while, and you may just surprise yourself. You never know, right?

7 hours ago, karinajean said:

or maybe I really need to totally mix up my exercise program and 1. maybe do it regularly, oy! and 2. work in more muscle building programs because I have been meaning to anyway, and if I had more muscle my fork wouldn't be outclassing me so heavily in this match.

Actually doing the thing may not be a bad idea. Couldn't hurt! Unless it does.

• Like 1

I hate restricting.  I am so close to the edge right now it's not even funny.   Rage quit imminent.    We just gotta find a way to bear through.   I've not been great on my BuJo either, and I was SO excited about it.   And of course, when week 4 hits, and I look back to less than stellar previous weeks, it makes me offer very little enthusiasm for finishing up strong.  It's more like a 'whelp, ok next challenge'.

We must break free my twin!

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

I haven't been here much, but I've been doing the things, despite a big shift in schedule, some doldrums at work, and being so tired.

Week 4 Day 4 - wednesday! up and to the gym. I did intervals on the treadmill, ran 0.5 miles, walked 0.1 miles. I did this for about 3.5 miles, and then stretched and went to work to shower because the gym is finally actually gutting the shower part of the ladies room and no showers "for the foreseeable future thank you for your cooperation." UM. I'm pretty glad I can shower at work, but I don't like being NAKED at work. oh well.

week 4 day 5 - thursday means early day and tae kwon do in the evening. which was good, she split the class and put me in charge of the little ones and told me to "keep 'em moving" so I drilled them on their forms, then some basics, and made them do things powerful, and we did some bag work, and some kicks, and practices some of the nuance? like keeping your hands up when you kick, and not having chicken wings when you punch. stuff that is tough for white and yellow belts.

week 4 day 6 - today! up and at the gym, because today is cake friday. my husband had school and I hustled and left before he did. I ran for 0.5 miles and stretched, and then ran for 2 miles (SO BORING) and stopped, finishing with bw squats (10x3), weighted (20 lbs) hip thrusts (10x3), and bicycles (25X4), all mixed in with stretching and then to work for showering and work. during the day I found out that daddy is back in the hospital, he was having a lot of problems breathing, and has been really low energy the last couple of days, so maybe it's his congestive heart failure accelerating, or maybe it's a lung infection and he just needs some antibiotics in the hospital for a day or so. the thing is - he just decided to get an assist pump (LVAD - http://www.mylvad.com/content/what-lvad-how-does-it-work ), and we are all a little worried that this will mean he can't go ahead with the surgery. but, he's in the right place, he's getting the right treatment for now, and he sounds good. I'm worn out. but he's good.

so, in the spirit of "yo, maybe this is actually important after all - don't get congestive heart failure," exercise a bunch every week. (http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/healthy_heart/diseases_and_conditions/congestive-heart-failure-prevention-treatment-and-research). As much as I'm pretty flippant about being so healthy, I really need to remember that I have to keep it up. Just because my cholesterol and blood pressure have always generally been really super, I need to stay the course and do the work.

re: food, I've been doing really good and staying on track this week. Maybe about 80-100 calories over my strict goal a few days. looking back over the last challenge my weight at least seems to be stabilizing, at least, even if I'm not losing - at least it's not going up any more. maybe that's what I get?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, karinajean said:

I haven't been here much, but I've been doing the things, despite a big shift in schedule, some doldrums at work, and being so tired.

Glad to see you!

Week 4 Day 4 - wednesday! up and to the gym. I did intervals on the treadmill, ran 0.5 miles, walked 0.1 miles. I did this for about 3.5 miles,

HOORAY GYM 

UM. I'm pretty glad I can shower at work, but I don't like being NAKED at work. oh well.

Pfft, whatever, man. Sounds like SOMEBODY's got some HANGUPS.

week 4 day 5 - thursday means early day and tae kwon do in the evening. which was good, she split the class and put me in charge of the little ones and told me to "keep 'em moving" so I drilled them on their forms, then some basics, and made them do things powerful, and we did some bag work, and some kicks, and practices some of the nuance? like keeping your hands up when you kick, and not having chicken wings when you punch. stuff that is tough for white and yellow belts.

I suddenly don't want to know what I look like during kickboxing.

I hope your dad's doing okay, bud. 

Finally, I salute you for citing sources throughout your post. 

• Like 3

"We can be heroes"

I suddenly don't want to know what I look like during kickboxing.

I hope your dad's doing okay, bud. 

Finally, I salute you for citing sources throughout your post. 

1. It's just not as glamorous to be the naked engineer as it is the naked librarian.

2. I'm sure you look awesome at kickboxing. Just remember to keep your hands up because as my teacher says: your teeth look better IN YOUR MOUTH.

3. Thanks re: daddy-o! I treated my insecurities with veggie risotto and beers tonight.

4. I THOUGHT that sources might be appreciated by SOME nerd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

18 hours ago, karinajean said:

Hey, it's tough for all of us. :) Thing 2's TKD school has a class of 3-4yo's called 'Tiny Tigers' and they adora-freakin-ble. With their tiny, intense shouts and feet *everywhere*. What I would give to have that energy and stamina! 

18 hours ago, karinajean said:

we are all a little worried that this will mean he can't go ahead with the surgery. but, he's in the right place, he's getting the right treatment for now, and he sounds good. I'm worn out. but he's good.

So sorry to hear about your da. Hope he's feeling better soon and he can get the treatment he needs.

• Like 1

otterbyte, level 3 chirpy otter assassin

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 3

current challenges: otterbyte juggles priorities  \\ old challenges:4-week: DEC16 * JAN17 * FEB 17 * APR 17 * JAN 18\\ Assassin MiniChallenge: Epic Throwdown Championship * Assassin's Age: Origins \\ Monkey Tamers United

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett

Busy and chaotic as usual KJ.    Sending TP&V for PapaKJ.    My dad's side has all the heart failure and diabetes, my mom's side all the cancer.    You reminded me, that even if I am stuck with this extra fluff for years to come, I need to keep doing this because, fluff or not, the exercise and good food DOES make a difference elsewhere.  Thank you for that. 

I hope life lets up just a bit for you.  I mean, not so much that you're bored because you only have 10 things going instead of 18.   But ya know, a little less chaos for a bit so you can focus on the chaos you want to focus on. :)

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

STAYNG THE COURSE AND DOING THE THING doesn't mean it's easy tho. Good work, KJ~

• Like 4

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

At a hotel gym and don't want to forget: warm up 1 mile, 5x intervals of 0.25 run at 8:49 or faster, 0.1 mile walk.

• Like 1

Hey! Challenge over!

Last week was really the best one I think. I made it to the gym 3x and TKD 3x. If I were counting sundays, which I do if it is to my benefit, then I also get to claim the 5k this weekend that I ran at 29:50! My weight hasn't budged but it was a really good week.

Thanks for the good thoughts re: daddyo. He went home on sat, and found out yesterday that Boston will still take him next week! Which is so good but so terrifying. He suggested his lung issue was maybe an "artifact," and I was like.... um of an alien race?! (Note: neither my father nor I are doctors.)

I'm in MD today, I drove down yesterday for a quick meeting this morning and I'm headed back this afternoon. If I am lucky I'll make it to TKD tonight. I'm already lucky, I missed the wintery mess up there this morning. And this hotel gym was pretty nice, even if the treadmills are terrifyingly unstable.

• Like 7

CHALLENGE RECAP:

Goal 1: Exercise More / Don't Break The Chain

I did OK on this. Week 1 actually was awful (sick). Week 3 was also awful (travel). but weeks 2 and 4 were REALLY GOOD and I did the exercise every day!

on week 1 and 3, though, I really could have done some jumping jacks or hula hooping. there's no excuse for not doing that.

Goal 2: Eat Less / Eat Better

I did a great job of logging. MOSTLY I did a great job of staying on track. there were a couple of days where I ate into my exercise, but not a bunch.

I did not do a great job of logging half and half in coffee / milk in tea. NEXT TIME.

Goal 3: Put the NERD back in NERD FITNESS.

I still need to do final photos and final measurements but I did get pics and measurements for 3 of the 4 weeks.

I couldn't get my skulpt to work when I tried it during week 1 and got frustrated and never tried again. oops.

I was MOSTLY here. MOSTLY. there were a few days where I wasn't, esp when I was super sick and/or traveling.

other experiments:

* HOBOBUJO is coming along ok. I have a few blank pages but haven't been writing in it much for February yet, and I would like to keep it up, so need to get cracking.

* we had great momentum starting with house stuff (basement) but didn't finish cleaning the attic which is a SHAME and I would like it to be DONE ALREADY.

* making bread is getting better and better.

* my no-spend-january was a HUGE success, and I feel much better (in the habit of not buying stuff).

BIG PICTURE

I feel more on track and back in control (this is a big deal!)

I also feel more used to getting up and going to the gym (ALSO a big deal!) and less like I can negotiate my way out of doing something I don't want to do really.

I'm feeling less flippant about the exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle because yo, I NEED to stay healthy long-term, and don't want to deal with future CHF or anything like that (not that it's predetermined or even like I'm aiming in that direction, but it's a very real consideration and I can't let things slide).

and WEIGHT:

I'm feeling more hopeful about this. I managed to stop the upward trend, at least this month, although my starting weight (trended) was 187.4 and my final weight was 188.6. the curve is more hopeful though.

large.020717_Weight.JPG.bf6d7ad0ec7ce40d

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

You keep amaze me challenge after challenge. You achieve SO much, all the time, even when life's being a bitch. Awesome job.

Seconding this ^^^^^^ 

You've been super motivating and I'm really glad I started following your challenges.

• Like 2

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

Way to stick it out and through it, and with it and all the things!

You've got a lot that you've figured out.   (I am there with the BuJo business.  I love it, I LOVE IT, and yet I not as consistent with it as I'd like to be.   Next challenge... more bujo.)   If you're anything like me (duh, twins) I have a feeling that as we move more toward spring, we're going to see both of us with more scale success and more general success.   We might, in fact, be part bear.   But we're feisty bears that fight through winter!

Or something.

OMG.   I just searched 'bear cartoon gif' to find something for here, and this gif is hysterical.  It totally has me lol'ing.

aLDDNR.gif

• Like 2

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Loved following your challenge and appreciate the big picture list. Those are important and glad you are seeing those changes. :) 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Hey! I wasn't good at following along and stuff, but when I did, I thought you were pretty great!

Also, yeah, nothing like hospitals to remind you to go out and hit the pavement. I'm glad to see that your dad's doing all right. I hope that continues for a long, long while.

Everything tried to stop you, and yet... you persisted. And got a strong finish for your trouble too. Well and good, well and good.