Jump to content

Recommended Posts

December was a pretty good month for me. I think I've established the gym habit and I'm ready to increase on it this month. 

 

January is the calm before the storm. Rugby practice starts back up in February with matches happening March and April. I've got 2 airport jobs this spring. Airports are always more difficult than they really need to be. I'm also working on setting up a rugby tournament for the summer. I haven't fully committed to this happening but I have some more preliminary work to do so I can decide whether to jump into it or not. 

 

This month, I really have to get my food and fitness ramped up. After January I will be pulled in a ton of directions so if I don't have the habits pretty solid, I will struggle. 

 

Goal 1) Gym 3 times per week. Both lifting and bjj count towards the 3.   *I changed this from 4 to 3 for realism. I got 2 per week in December, why jump so much and make it harder to succeed? I need success more than I need lofty goals*

 

Goal 2) Rehab. I have a big case of gluteal amnesia that I'm working on with a trainer. I've already made progress but I'm not doing the things I'm supposed to be doing at home. I've got some pretty simple exercises that I'm supposed to do 3 days a week.

 

Goal 3) Food. I just have to do it. I'm committing to primal. It's hard for me to commit because I know I'm going to struggle and be somewhat less than perfect. My wife lives on grains alone (not really but so close to really) so I know it's going to be difficult/impossible for me to do this perfectly. But if I shoot for perfect and land at 60% I'm still so far ahead of where I am now. If I don't try then I'll never know what adjustments I can make for success. 

 

Goal 4) Mornings. I suck at mornings. My goal is to be at work by 8 am each day. Eventually I want it to be 7 but that's too much of a change in one go since I'm also adding a primal goal which will require breakfast at home and a packed lunch most days. The only way I'm going to succeed at mornings is to leave all the guesswork out of it. Each night before bed I will lay out my work clothes, make sure my gym bag is ready if it's gym day and have food prepped as much as possible for the next day. 

 

My life is pretty chaotic and I'm tired of it. Tired of quitting, tired of chaos and tired of being fat. That's sort of the motto that got me through December so I hope it will carry me forward in january. 

  • Like 5

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Link to comment

Hey girl!    You got a good plan for success!  Just stick with it, and most of all, remember that progress and success often looks like this:

 

nytt%C3%A5rsforsett+suksess.jpg

 

I still struggle hella bad with this ^ thing.  So we can remind each other!

You got this!

 

  • Like 3

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

 

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

 

 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, joedog said:

Goal 4) Mornings. I suck at mornings. My goal is to be at work by 8 am each day. Eventually I want it to be 7 but that's too much of a change in one go since I'm also adding a primal goal which will require breakfast at home and a packed lunch most days. The only way I'm going to succeed at mornings is to leave all the guesswork out of it. Each night before bed I will lay out my work clothes, make sure my gym bag is ready if it's gym day and have food prepped as much as possible for the next day. 

 

It's a little weird, but I've come to really enjoy salads for breakfast. It's also easy to prep the night before. 

 

 

4 hours ago, joedog said:

Goal 3) Food. I just have to do it. I'm committing to primal. It's hard for me to commit because I know I'm going to struggle and be somewhat less than perfect. My wife lives on grains alone (not really but so close to really) so I know it's going to be difficult/impossible for me to do this perfectly. But if I shoot for perfect and land at 60% I'm still so far ahead of where I am now. If I don't try then I'll never know what adjustments I can make for success. 

 

I do a mostly primal, and my husband does not. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but it can work. The main compromise has been in starches. Since he loves pasta we'll do rice noodles (pad thai ones work great, and they are pretty much just rice flour and water most the time) We also do more potatoes than I normally would like, but I just have a little bit instead of how much i used to do. 

 

 

Looks like a great challenge!

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

Link to comment

mornings can be really tough for eating! having my lunch prepped the night before helps me with the rest of the day, and if I am in a rush, I have got a back-up protein shake meal that I can rely on. if you have a back-up almost-convenience food that works for you, figure out how to make it quickly and most deliciously, it will save a BUNCH on morning pains.

 

ps I pretty much love your december motto.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

 

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

 

Link to comment
On 1/3/2017 at 1:08 PM, Starpuck said:

Hey girl!    You got a good plan for success!  Just stick with it, and most of all, remember that progress and success often looks like this:

 

nytt%C3%A5rsforsett+suksess.jpg

 

I still struggle hella bad with this ^ thing.  So we can remind each other!

You got this!

 

 

I've been doing a lot of soul searching over the last...year I guess. It's really ramped up with the Rising Heroes stuff. I'm really unhappy with my life and I finally figured out that I'm the only person who can do something about it. I have always believed that I could do anything I put my mind to but I allowed fear to keep me from doing it. Man, have I got a lot of second place ribbons. I never put in maximum effort so I never had to face the reality of pouring your guts into something and not coming out on top. 

 

21 hours ago, Toshimi said:

 

It's a little weird, but I've come to really enjoy salads for breakfast. It's also easy to prep the night before. 

 

I do a mostly primal, and my husband does not. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but it can work. The main compromise has been in starches. Since he loves pasta we'll do rice noodles (pad thai ones work great, and they are pretty much just rice flour and water most the time) We also do more potatoes than I normally would like, but I just have a little bit instead of how much i used to do. 

 

Looks like a great challenge!

 

Salads for breakfast actually sounds lovely. Unfortunately I can't seem to eat raw vegetables very much. The best I can tell from google-fu it's the insoluble fiber. I get pretty serious GI pain. No other symptoms but the pain is too much to bear. 

 

My wife was vegan for a while and I'm definitely never going to be vegan. So for 6 months we basically did completely separate meals. She has a lot of depression issues and when she struggles it makes everything difficult in the household. Anyone who has suffered severe depression or loved someone who did probably understands what I mean. I also have severe depression and anxiety so we trigger the crap out of each other.

 

Thanks for dropping by and yes, I always have walls of text and way too much information! 

 

 

6 hours ago, karinajean said:

mornings can be really tough for eating! having my lunch prepped the night before helps me with the rest of the day, and if I am in a rush, I have got a back-up protein shake meal that I can rely on. if you have a back-up almost-convenience food that works for you, figure out how to make it quickly and most deliciously, it will save a BUNCH on morning pains.

 

ps I pretty much love your december motto.

 

My biggest issue with breakfast is commitment. I'm a bitter angry troll first thing in the morning. Most days I understand why Brian Wilson stayed in bed for all those years. (Now I have THAT song stuck in my head the rest of the day.) 

 

I think my motto is a good one. Like I said above, I'm not happy and no one is going to change that for me. Even the people who want to can't do it for me. 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Link to comment

I hope you guys know I save a lot of money on therapy by just baring my guts here. 

 

Not a lot to report so far. Monday was Greg day. I love Greg days. He likes to see just how far he can push me and that's what I love in a trainer. Most of our work this week was either a bondage fantasy or a lesson in how to use bands to work on muscle imbalances.

 

Tuesday was the first day back to work. I made it by 815 with lunch packed but breakfast was still on the old plan. Tuesday night I did a couple of house chores and then played around with my mandolin a bit. I made something come out of it that was almost like music. The good thing about bluegrass is you don't have to be a good singer to be a good singer. 

 

Tonight is up in the air. I'm supposed to go to bjj but I've got a terrible crick in my neck that is making it hard to even move my right shoulder appropriately. So I may just go to the gym and do some light rehab things. I also have vegetables to experiment with. I did make it to work at 745 this morning, first one in. No lunch packed which was planned, gym bag is packed, breakfast was still the same old. But my chicken biscuits were free which I probably deserve after eating them probably 200 days a year for the last 3 years. Yes, really, that many chicken biscuits. That 54% body fat? That's only partly genetics. 

 

Anyway, as you can probably tell, current mood is speculative and snarky. 

  • Like 6

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Link to comment

I didn't go to bjj Wednesday night. I couldn't turn my head or move my right shoulder so bjj didn't seem like the thing to do for it. In fact, it's still hurting today although not as much. Clearly I'm doing something to cause this since it's happened a few times over the last few months. It's way more than just the usual "slept wrong" muscle knot. 

 

I went to the gym yesterday. I stayed at 75# for working weight on bench. I think I could go up but I don't want to push it. I feel a lot stronger on bench since Greg reminded me about locking my shoulder blades back before I grab the bar. I wasn't doing that over the summer and hurt my shoulder. I hit 175# for 3 on dead lift. That was a bit ambitious and I probably need to stay there for a while because my form wasn't so great. I didn't get to squat because all the racks were taken and I needed to get my 2 wheel drive truck home before it got dark and the roads froze back over. I was bummed about that because I was hoping a loaded bar on the knot in my neck would help relieve some of the tension. 

 

I've had a huge breakthrough on the food front. A new place opened up in town called Eat Fit Go. It's all fresh microwaveable meals that fit perfectly in a lunch box. They label the boxes with macros and have loaded all their recipes into MFP so you can just scan the bar code on the box and boom. I can buy lunch and breakfast from them every day and spend approximately what I'm spending now on fast food crap. Maybe even less. Everything I've had so far is good if a bit bland. They cook all the food with no fat and it's very low sodium. But that's ok because it's easier for me to add a little salt and butter than it is for low sodium/low fat folks to take it out. I'm also going to whip up a batch of Lizard Sauce from Well Fed 2 to help improve the taste profile a bit. Guys...this is big. Breakfast has been my stumbling block for a loooong time. 

 

I also changed my gym goal from 4 down to 3. Four would be perfect (or 5) but I have to work from where I am not where I could be if everything were perfect. I started the habit of 2x per week in December. I'll increase it to 3 for January. Then in Feb I will see if I can increase it to 4. Probably Feb will stay at 3 gym sessions and add 2 rugby practices. 

  • Like 3

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Link to comment

Omg Joedog!!  That food option sounds amazing!    I am soooo thrilled for you!  

Grab that inspiration by the horns and ride it into the sunset!

tumblr_mgh8juEY821rg0lgoo1_500.gif

 

Also, probably smart on the neck whackadoo issue.   Wisdom wins the day.

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

 

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

 

 

Link to comment
32 minutes ago, joedog said:

 

I've had a huge breakthrough on the food front. A new place opened up in town called Eat Fit Go. It's all fresh microwaveable meals that fit perfectly in a lunch box. They label the boxes with macros and have loaded all their recipes into MFP so you can just scan the bar code on the box and boom. I can buy lunch and breakfast from them every day and spend approximately what I'm spending now on fast food crap. Maybe even less. Everything I've had so far is good if a bit bland. They cook all the food with no fat and it's very low sodium. But that's ok because it's easier for me to add a little salt and butter than it is for low sodium/low fat folks to take it out. I'm also going to whip up a batch of Lizard Sauce from Well Fed 2 to help improve the taste profile a bit. Guys...this is big. Breakfast has been my stumbling block for a loooong time. 

 

 

this sounds AMAZING and totally worth the money!!!

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

 

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, joedog said:

I've had a huge breakthrough on the food front. A new place opened up in town called Eat Fit Go. It's all fresh microwaveable meals that fit perfectly in a lunch box. They label the boxes with macros and have loaded all their recipes into MFP so you can just scan the bar code on the box and boom. I can buy lunch and breakfast from them every day and spend approximately what I'm spending now on fast food crap. Maybe even less. Everything I've had so far is good if a bit bland. They cook all the food with no fat and it's very low sodium. But that's ok because it's easier for me to add a little salt and butter than it is for low sodium/low fat folks to take it out. I'm also going to whip up a batch of Lizard Sauce from Well Fed 2 to help improve the taste profile a bit. Guys...this is big. Breakfast has been my stumbling block for a loooong time.

 

Holy crow! That sounds huge! If you can just pay a little money for a meal that works for you that you can tailor w/o having to cook, that takes a huge amount of willpower/effort out of the equation. I know it was that way for me too after figuring out how to make Chipotle fit my macros, so you're definitely in a good place as far as that goes.

 

1 hour ago, joedog said:

I went to the gym yesterday. I stayed at 75# for working weight on bench. I think I could go up but I don't want to push it. I feel a lot stronger on bench since Greg reminded me about locking my shoulder blades back before I grab the bar. I wasn't doing that over the summer and hurt my shoulder. I hit 175# for 3 on dead lift. That was a bit ambitious and I probably need to stay there for a while because my form wasn't so great. I didn't get to squat because all the racks were taken and I needed to get my 2 wheel drive truck home before it got dark and the roads froze back over. I was bummed about that because I was hoping a loaded bar on the knot in my neck would help relieve some of the tension.

 

I feel you on this one. A lot of my training revolves around the barbell now, for better or for worse, and at the gym I go to that can be a big problem, particularly as I'm of the "get in, get done, get out" school of gymming. The best compromise I've found is to consider the pattern of movement that I mean to work and find what I can do based on what I have available. So, say you were going to squat, and you wanted to get under the barbell, but all the racks are taken. Okay. Well, you can still squat. You just have to use different implements. You can do pure bodyweight if you want to if you want to practice mobility. If you want to practice mobility and load, do a goblet squat, and feel free to work some prying into it as well. A third option would be to just hold a pair of DBs in rack position and front squat those puppies. Or do it with a KB, if that's what you have.

 

Just a thought. Remember, the body doesn't punish you for deviating from the program, provided you're smart about it. :)

 

Anyway, this is off to a strong start! Remember, don't let perfect be the enemy of good!

Link to comment
On 1/3/2017 at 0:10 PM, joedog said:

I need success more than I need lofty goals

I know this place. I think I live there. Or maybe I live here: " Tired of quitting, tired of chaos and tired of being fat." Either way, I think it's safe to say we're neighbors, if not roomies. 

 

On 1/6/2017 at 9:56 AM, joedog said:

I've had a huge breakthrough on the food front. A new place opened up in town called Eat Fit Go. It's all fresh microwaveable meals that fit perfectly in a lunch box. They label the boxes with macros and have loaded all their recipes into MFP so you can just scan the bar code on the box and boom. I can buy lunch and breakfast from them every day and spend approximately what I'm spending now on fast food crap. Maybe even less. Everything I've had so far is good if a bit bland. They cook all the food with no fat and it's very low sodium. But that's ok because it's easier for me to add a little salt and butter than it is for low sodium/low fat folks to take it out. I'm also going to whip up a batch of Lizard Sauce from Well Fed 2 to help improve the taste profile a bit. Guys...this is big. Breakfast has been my stumbling block for a loooong time. 

 

That sounds freaking amazing. I tried a frozen paleo meal from wal-mart. It was pretty good, but not budget friendly for right now. That's so brilliant of them, too! I hope they spread, preferably in a southeastern direction. ;)

 

Mornings suck but it sounds like you're sticking with your plan! yay for that!

Link to comment
On 1/6/2017 at 10:18 AM, Starpuck said:

Omg Joedog!!  That food option sounds amazing!    I am soooo thrilled for you!  

Grab that inspiration by the horns and ride it into the sunset!

tumblr_mgh8juEY821rg0lgoo1_500.gif

 

Also, probably smart on the neck whackadoo issue.   Wisdom wins the day.

 

I've got all my breakfasts for the first half of the week. Since it's fresh food I can't actually buy a whole week at a time. But that's ok. So far everything I've had has been pretty good except the steak and eggs breakfast which was kind of meh. But there were no chicken biscuits this morning. So that is brilliant. 

 

On 1/6/2017 at 10:29 AM, karinajean said:

 

this sounds AMAZING and totally worth the money!!!

 

It is! Even if it costs me a bit more, getting the weight off will be cheaper in the long run. 

 

On 1/6/2017 at 11:24 AM, Kishi said:

 

Holy crow! That sounds huge! If you can just pay a little money for a meal that works for you that you can tailor w/o having to cook, that takes a huge amount of willpower/effort out of the equation. I know it was that way for me too after figuring out how to make Chipotle fit my macros, so you're definitely in a good place as far as that goes.

 

 

I feel you on this one. A lot of my training revolves around the barbell now, for better or for worse, and at the gym I go to that can be a big problem, particularly as I'm of the "get in, get done, get out" school of gymming. The best compromise I've found is to consider the pattern of movement that I mean to work and find what I can do based on what I have available. So, say you were going to squat, and you wanted to get under the barbell, but all the racks are taken. Okay. Well, you can still squat. You just have to use different implements. You can do pure bodyweight if you want to if you want to practice mobility. If you want to practice mobility and load, do a goblet squat, and feel free to work some prying into it as well. A third option would be to just hold a pair of DBs in rack position and front squat those puppies. Or do it with a KB, if that's what you have.

 

Just a thought. Remember, the body doesn't punish you for deviating from the program, provided you're smart about it. :)

 

Anyway, this is off to a strong start! Remember, don't let perfect be the enemy of good!

 

I want to be disciplined enough to batch cook on Sundays and view eating as simply fueling my body. But I'm just not geared that way. I don't know if it's nature or nurture but food has been comfort for so long. I think it was Staci that was putting day's worth of food in a container and then munching on it through the day. I want to be like that but I have so many issues with food that my brain will not allow it. I know that's a luxury and if I'd been born in a different time or place I would have either adapted or died by now. 

 

I'm struggling with the squats right now. When I come out of the hole, I drive almost entirely with my left leg. All the training we're doing is to try to make my body work bilaterally when it is supposed to. I go into squats with a negative attitude. Need to work on that. But it's a little disheartening when your OHP and your front squat are the same because you can't go up in weight until you can make both sides work together. 

 

On 1/7/2017 at 4:02 PM, PinkNinja said:

I know this place. I think I live there. Or maybe I live here: " Tired of quitting, tired of chaos and tired of being fat." Either way, I think it's safe to say we're neighbors, if not roomies. 

 

That sounds freaking amazing. I tried a frozen paleo meal from wal-mart. It was pretty good, but not budget friendly for right now. That's so brilliant of them, too! I hope they spread, preferably in a southeastern direction. ;)

 

Mornings suck but it sounds like you're sticking with your plan! yay for that!

 

So far they appear to be spreading mostly north out of KC but hopefully that will change. 

 

This weekend in Amy's primitive camping adventure saw me completely fail at building a fire (but that's ok because I've never really tried that hard before and everything was damp), completely fail at archery (but that's also ok because I've never shot a bow before and I'm pretty sure the bruise on my arm will go down eventually) and completely fail at knife sharpening (that's not true, the knife is really sharp now, judging from the cut on my hand). We are considering a youtube channel or a blog about our misadventures in learning the primitive camping/backpacking life which should make other people feel better about themselves and involve me shouting the F word a lot. 

 

  • Like 2

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Link to comment
2 hours ago, joedog said:

I want to be disciplined enough to batch cook on Sundays and view eating as simply fueling my body. But I'm just not geared that way. I don't know if it's nature or nurture but food has been comfort for so long. I think it was Staci that was putting day's worth of food in a container and then munching on it through the day. I want to be like that but I have so many issues with food that my brain will not allow it. I know that's a luxury and if I'd been born in a different time or place I would have either adapted or died by now. 

 

I know what you mean. I wish I could view food that way too, but as it is, I just like to put butter on veggies and use cooking fats and oils and such. Fortunately my body doesn't care all that much about what I put in it beyond hitting certain minimums of certain macros, but the temptation that follows from that is pretty awful.

 

2 hours ago, joedog said:

I'm struggling with the squats right now. When I come out of the hole, I drive almost entirely with my left leg. All the training we're doing is to try to make my body work bilaterally when it is supposed to. I go into squats with a negative attitude. Need to work on that. But it's a little disheartening when your OHP and your front squat are the same because you can't go up in weight until you can make both sides work together. 

 

I would argue that it's heartening that your trainer cares enough not to push you farther than your body can go. This is good. Means he cares about doing right by you. Good call.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, joedog said:

This weekend in Amy's primitive camping adventure saw me completely fail at building a fire (but that's ok because I've never really tried that hard before and everything was damp), completely fail at archery (but that's also ok because I've never shot a bow before and I'm pretty sure the bruise on my arm will go down eventually) and completely fail at knife sharpening (that's not true, the knife is really sharp now, judging from the cut on my hand). We are considering a youtube channel or a blog about our misadventures in learning the primitive camping/backpacking life which should make other people feel better about themselves and involve me shouting the F word a lot. 

 

I'd been thinking about making youtube videos to demonstrate stuff. There are a lot of quests in the academy that I've already done and I thought to make it level up-able for me, I should step them up. Like "Start a fire without matches". I was thinking of doing a couple of youtube videos on different fire starting methods.

Yours sounds WAY more entertaining!

I'm assuming the string got you and you have a nice forearm bruise? They do go away, but all mine turned yellow first. lol I've actually broke the skin doing that before. And I have to make sure I wear a very constrictive bra, cause OW. I wasn't allowed to use an arm guard when I was learning. I was told that the string increases your motivation for good form. *roll eyes* But, you can get them fairly inexpensively at most sporting good places. Wal-mart even. Might be good for while you're learning? Especially if it's a compound.

OR! There are 50lb pull crossbow pistols at Atwoods for $16. :) And the 80lb ones are like $20. It's really testing my "Don't buy stuff" goal. :|

 

5 hours ago, joedog said:

I want to be disciplined enough to batch cook on Sundays and view eating as simply fueling my body.

Since I'm just me to feed, just by making a regular meal recipe, I batch cook. It can usually make 3-4 meals for me. Sometimes I still decide I want something else. If I could just eat chicken & broccoli all the time, it would be awesome. But I just can't. And some of my meals, I could make healthy, if I didn't have this built in "This goes with this" like mashed potatoes. There are things that you just ARE SUPPOSED TO eat mashed potatoes with: meatloaf, pork chops, and hamburger steak. I know it sounds so stupid, and when I really plan, I do ok, but I catch myself buying mashed potatoes, especially if I get in a bad mood. I dunno. I'm rambling now and I don't think I'm making sense. I'm tired and hungry. But I get it. That's my point.

Link to comment
On 1/9/2017 at 0:24 PM, Kishi said:

 

I know what you mean. I wish I could view food that way too, but as it is, I just like to put butter on veggies and use cooking fats and oils and such. Fortunately my body doesn't care all that much about what I put in it beyond hitting certain minimums of certain macros, but the temptation that follows from that is pretty awful.

 

I would argue that it's heartening that your trainer cares enough not to push you farther than your body can go. This is good. Means he cares about doing right by you. Good call.

 

We decided last night that the problem may be that we've worked so hard on the right hip that now it's outdoing the left. So he gave me some homework and I'm feeling better about it. I think my major problem Saturday morning is that I was hurrying to squeeze a workout in and didn't get enough calories in before I lifted and I bonked. Just gives me some new things to play with on sorting this issue out. 

 

 

23 hours ago, PinkNinja said:

I'd been thinking about making youtube videos to demonstrate stuff. There are a lot of quests in the academy that I've already done and I thought to make it level up-able for me, I should step them up. Like "Start a fire without matches". I was thinking of doing a couple of youtube videos on different fire starting methods.

 

Yours sounds WAY more entertaining!

I'm assuming the string got you and you have a nice forearm bruise? They do go away, but all mine turned yellow first. lol I've actually broke the skin doing that before. And I have to make sure I wear a very constrictive bra, cause OW. I wasn't allowed to use an arm guard when I was learning. I was told that the string increases your motivation for good form. *roll eyes* But, you can get them fairly inexpensively at most sporting good places. Wal-mart even. Might be good for while you're learning? Especially if it's a compound.

OR! There are 50lb pull crossbow pistols at Atwoods for $16. :) And the 80lb ones are like $20. It's really testing my "Don't buy stuff" goal. :|

 

Since I'm just me to feed, just by making a regular meal recipe, I batch cook. It can usually make 3-4 meals for me. Sometimes I still decide I want something else. If I could just eat chicken & broccoli all the time, it would be awesome. But I just can't. And some of my meals, I could make healthy, if I didn't have this built in "This goes with this" like mashed potatoes. There are things that you just ARE SUPPOSED TO eat mashed potatoes with: meatloaf, pork chops, and hamburger steak. I know it sounds so stupid, and when I really plan, I do ok, but I catch myself buying mashed potatoes, especially if I get in a bad mood. I dunno. I'm rambling now and I don't think I'm making sense. I'm tired and hungry. But I get it. That's my point.

 

I always just make fires by using a zippo and one of those handy pre-made fire lighting sticks. Amy has been watching Survival Lilly on youtube who makes all of her fires with either flint and steel or a bow drill. Let's just say I'm a long way from making fire with a flint and steel. I also think she uses a softer wood which in my mind makes a difference. Virtually everything we have is either oak or some other hardwood. I may go down by the creek and scavenge some sycamore just to practice and get some confidence up. 

 

Yup, I got the forearm bruise. I didn't even think about the bra but now that I've thought about it, that's probably the next thing that gets caught in a bow string. Crap. Those crossbow pistols sound like an awesome deal and also a problem as I'm trying to curb my spending too. Dammit. 

 

I just have stupid food texture issues and sometimes leftovers squick me out. Like I said before, totally a luxury problem. I'm a pretty typical hillbilly. The plate has meat, potatoes and maybe a veg on it with some bread on the side and pie or cake for dessert. When I was a kid with farm chores, carrying in firewood every day and roaming all over our acreage I could get away with that. But it's hard to shake. 

  • Like 1

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Link to comment

My challenge so far has been a bit lackluster. Not bad, just not rocket sled on rails out the gate and that's okay. Every day doesn't have to be 5 gold stars awesome. 

 

I went to the gym on Monday evening to meet with my trainer. Talked to him about the struggle I had with squats on Saturday so we did a lot of squats. Screw buns of steel, mine are going to be titanium before long. I think some of my problems with weighted squats are mental and I'm going to find a way to blow that crap out of the water next time I lift. 

 

My food goal has been mixed. I'm 2/2 for staying on plan for breakfast. (3/3 if you count Sunday which sort of counts.) The rest of the day hasn't been so great as far as sticking to primal. But I'm not really overeating so it's neither full blown success or failure. If I can consistently change breakfast and break that old bad habit, then this challenge will be a success. 

 

I got to work at 0810 on Monday but Tuesday was more like 0830. That's because I didn't get my act together the night before. There were extenuating circumstances/really good excuses each night but it's clear that I have to do the night before to get the morning after right. 

 

I'm probably going to sneak away from work early since there is nothing going on so I can do a quick cardio session at the gym. Tonight I will be working on laundry and cleaning up around the house. One of the Rising Heroes missions for the week is decluttering and since that's a thing I totally need to do, I will probably try some of that tonight too. 

  • Like 2

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Link to comment

You'd be surprised how much of progress is like this, a sort of humdrum slog in a direction that pleases you. You won't be able to tell you progressed until you look back, and it's way too soon for that yet.

 

You'll beat the iron, oneesan, I know it! You have to become iron, and that's a thing you practice.

 

Good nights do lead to good mornings, don't they. Hmm. Might have to take a page out of your book on this one.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Hee, you got Kishi'd!

But he's right. ;)

 

  • Like 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

 

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

 

 

Link to comment

Not much to say that hasn't been said already.

 

Really just popping in to say I <3 you.

 

<3

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

 

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Link to comment
On 1/10/2017 at 3:08 PM, Kishi said:

You'd be surprised how much of progress is like this, a sort of humdrum slog in a direction that pleases you. You won't be able to tell you progressed until you look back, and it's way too soon for that yet.

 

You'll beat the iron, oneesan, I know it! You have to become iron, and that's a thing you practice.

 

Good nights do lead to good mornings, don't they. Hmm. Might have to take a page out of your book on this one.

 

Steve shared a video today where he asked if we were better off than we were a year ago or 3 years ago. I can unequivocally say yes, I'm much more fit now than I was in those time periods. It's just funny how the brain works because sometimes I look in the mirror and I see a badass and sometimes I look in the mirror and see a fat chick who should be on the couch with chips and remote control. I know that's just the broken part of my brain. I go some dark mental places sometimes while I'm lifting. It's cheaper than therapy.

 

22 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Hee, you got Kishi'd!

But he's right. ;)

 

 

Kishi  is wise. 

 

 

1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Not much to say that hasn't been said already.

 

Really just popping in to say I <3 you.

 

<3

 

Hi friend! 

  • Like 1

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Link to comment

So let's see where we are. 

 

Goal 1) Gym Monday, BJJ Wednesday, hoping to get to the gym today. Otherwise maybe by Sunday I can go to the gym. If not it's kettlebells in the hallway. 

 

Goal 2) Well...I've done really well on breakfasts. 3/4 days were my plan breakfasts. One day I had a Bad Attitude (tm) and went back to the old place. But the food actually gagged me. So hopefully that habit is broken once and for all. The rest of my meals have been off plan but not outrageous. But I've been doing a lot of snacking. What the hell? How did that stupid habit get started again. 

 

Goal 3) Has not gone well at all. That Bad Attitude (tm) has interfered with that whole getting to work by 0800 thing. I just don't have much to do at work right now so I don't have much ambition about it. Next week will be better.

 

We are about to have an ice-tastrophe so my weekend is kind of fouled up. The good news is that my work is really flexible about this stuff and we've all decided to stay home tomorrow. I'm really blessed to have that because I know a lot of people will have to try to get to work tomorrow despite all the emergency agencies telling us to stay home. I'm planning on playing some games, reading and watching it ice. We do have a plan if the power goes out. 

 

BJJ was pretty fun last night. It was no gi. Almost everyone in the class is prepping for a competition a week from Saturday so the instructor put them all together and then put me and my friend together. Usually they put us with more experienced folks. The thing is, my pal weighs 150, maybe. I'm still tipping 300. The first thing we did was a take down where she pulled me around, got my back and then went down with her on my back with hooks in. It was highly entertaining. Then we did another take down that was maybe called sode goshi or something like that. I'm trying to keep track of all the technique names but it's hard to do when you don't understand the language and also not enough oxygen to the brain. Pull the head down, get underhooks, then use your leg to sweep their leg out. That one was harder because my pal wasn't strong enough to just take me down and my body resisted going down to make it easier for her. So then Alex, the instructor, used me as a test dummy. It was awesome. I really hope I'm able to keep taking classes regularly once rugby starts back up. 

 

My girls say they are ready to start practicing so pending weather, we are going back to practices on Monday night. I'm excited and nervous. But I am glad for the 3 extra weeks to do lots of "this is a rugby ball stuff". That way the rookies will be more caught up when I get ready to start throwing strategy at them. 

 

Tl;DR I like the gym, I struggle with food and getting up in the morning. I like throwing people around in BJJ. I'm excited about rugby. Or as Amy would say, "Water is still wet."

  • Like 4

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Link to comment

How's this week going JD?   Weather here has been a total bummer and it is eating all my motivation up.

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

 

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

 

 

Link to comment
21 hours ago, Teirin said:

How are things now?  Mornings are evil.  Enjoy grappling!  It's loads of fun.

 

Things are...thing-ish. I'm never going to be a morning person but those are sort of going better. I love grappling. I just have so much going on right now. I don't know how much I'll be able to go. I love the school though so I'm going to try to keep going when I can. 

 

4 hours ago, Starpuck said:

How's this week going JD?   Weather here has been a total bummer and it is eating all my motivation up.

 

The weather is not so bad here for January but it's a pretty typical winter. Fortunately Icetastrophe 2017 failed to launch. I would like it if we had one decent snow but thanks to climate change I may now live too far south for that. 

 

4 hours ago, Kishi said:

You staying warm over there?

 

More or less. We really aren't having too bad of a winter here. 

  • Like 2

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines