There Can Only be One Mike_D85

Mike_d85

This should probably be a Warriors challenge, but after seeing only one four week challenge last go-round I figured I'd stay home or this one.  I'm doing some highland games training since my weight room is under construction at the Y.  I think I'll be looking for a games to compete in in June/July so this will be a great way to get familiar with the ways of the Highlander.

betty-white-highlander.jpg

1 – Learn the ways of the Highlander.  I need to learn the heavy athletic throws.  This means I need to work on the weight for distance, the weight for height, the hammer throw, the stone put, the sheaf toss, and the mighty caber toss.  I’m going to practice one per day 5 days a week as part of my strength training.

tumblr_ocqmzpjFQ91uh70wdo1_540.gif

2 – Stay strong to fight off your challengers.  My gym is being renovated and invaded by New Year’s Resolutioners so I’m headed outside into the cold.  It’s fine.  I’m immortal.  In addition to my one throw per day I need to work on I’m going to maintain my strength training using the throwing implements.  I’ll shuffle what I’m doing with which throw I’m training for to keep my whole body shaped up.  It’s on my spreadsheet here:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15BFIglpwcEFL8w-nXh2c900uZ9ub2CAxDxtSo-KBYDw/edit?usp=sharing

running.gif

3 – CHARGE!  I’m running a marathon in May and I need to start looking ahead now.  I have a schedule in place that starts with rigid requirements starting the same day as the challenge.  I have 4 runs per week (days subject to change) and I plan on running home from work on weekdays (about 3k) and then heading on to the rest of the run (minimum 5k total).  Saturdays are my long runs starting at 22k.  I have a spreadsheet here:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eu4HT1hH7EYHRwhq3GhIJqT-cJAWubGGFY4V7ZeuW4o/edit?usp=sharing

Highlander_5_poster.jpg

4 – Shameless cash grab.  I spend most of my money on food (thanks, celiac’s disease) and we need to tighten our belts because the credit card got out of control the past several months.  We have a move to plan for (our lease is up April 1st), a mode of transport to buy (car, truck, or motorcycle), a honeymoon to go on in August (Ireland), and I am being required to learn to ride a horse (see honeymoon).  We’ve got a lot of debt repayment and saving to do and not a lot of time to do it in.  I’m going to have to find the cheapest ways to hit my nutrition goals and that means a lot of careful planning, meal prep, and most likely butchery.  My wife and I also have to come up with a monthly budget from now until August (and probably beyond) that we can stick to.  I'm keeping these spreadsheets private. 

wj4gd6k.gif

I don't have any more goals I just found that and why WOULDN'T I put that in this thread?

• Like 3

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

3 hours ago, Mike_d85 said:

It’s fine.  I’m immortal. 

That is the greatest reactionary sentence I have ever read, and you better believe I am going to say this 10 times per day now when faced with inconvenience/having to change plans. I love it. 

I don't know much about the highland games, but since it's all natural movements I imagine it's great cross training for your running.  I know I've seen your running plan before, but I can't remember-  you've run a few marathons before, right?? I think you said your focus is on running, and the lifting/highland stuff is supplemental? 

I'm really excited to see you progress through this challenge!  Have fun! :)

• Like 1
On 1/3/2017 at 5:29 PM, Beals said:

That is the greatest reactionary sentence I have ever read, and you better believe I am going to say this 10 times per day now when faced with inconvenience/having to change plans. I love it. 

I don't know much about the highland games, but since it's all natural movements I imagine it's great cross training for your running.  I know I've seen your running plan before, but I can't remember-  you've run a few marathons before, right?? I think you said your focus is on running, and the lifting/highland stuff is supplemental? 

I'm really excited to see you progress through this challenge!  Have fun! :)

I of course quipped that I was immortal while nursing a sore throat that turned into a fever that has benched me for a few days.  Perhaps that mantra tempts fate a little too much. 

I've run a couple half marathons and attempted one full.  I'm thinking that I ramped up mileage too far too soon for my last marathon because my knee went out at mile 5.  You're right though, the lifting is supplemental.

• Like 1

My Battle Log 

Well, I guess week 0 update is: I managed one day of weights for distance training and learned that my ruck sack sucks because all the weight drops below my hips.  The rest of week 0 I've been sick and haven't run or done any lifting.  I also haven't budgeted or done meal planning for next week.  Stupid disease and my inability to function on over the counter medications.  If I wake up feeling 100% Saturday morning I might go for a run Sunday morning with a run club that's recruiting.

I did fall in love with the Malcom Mackay Glasgow Trilogy books.  Besides being set in Glasgow it's in no other way related to anything to do with this challenge, but there you have it.

• Like 2

My Battle Log 

Week 1: Still sick.  I have decided I am going on a long run tomorrow regardless.  At this point I think not exercising is screwing up how I feel more than the lingering sinus issues and cough.  I can't sleep well, my bathroom timing is all screwed up, I'm restless, and it takes a lot to get me to focus at work.  Maybe going through the motions will help me shirk the sickness.  And if this backfires I have Monday off work anyways.

• Like 1

My Battle Log 

Week 2 update:

1 – Learn the ways of the Highlander: I managed to throw the weight for distance, throw the weight for height, and throw the hammer.  The weight for distance I need to work on footwork and positioning my shoulders to swing the weight properly.  Weight for height my weight is too tall so I'm going to try using my basketball kettle bell next time.  The hammer got wet so I can't tell if the mace I got is hard to grip or if it was just wet and muddy.  Pathetic distances on that one though. I was planning on doing 5 throws this weeks so only half credit. +1

2 – Stay strong to fight off your challengers: Between rain on wednesday and forgetting to set my alarm this morning I missed some important workouts.  I might grab the kettlebell and do something this evening after I get home just to make sure I get some more strength training in.  If I do that I'll give myself 2 points.  +1

3 – CHARGE!: I am precisely on schedule with my marathon training spreadsheet this week.  I have a 25k long run to do tomorrow.  I'm assuming that is completed.  +2

4 – Shameless cash grab: I did take into account nutrition and spending when I put together next week's menu, but I didn't lay out my meals on my nutrition calculator like I should have.  I'm giving myself a point for getting back into the habit of considering all the meals' costs. +1

My Battle Log 

Yay! looks like you are feeling better. Good job with sticking to your goals while life throws obstacles at you. 

I am feeling better, thanks. I still have little sniffles and coughs that pop up, but I think that's just how my winter is going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Battle Log 

I forgot to update last friday!  Week 3 update:

1 – Learn the ways of the Highlander: I did the Open Stone Put, the Caber toss workout (I sadly don't have a tree trunk lying around), the weight for height (using the kettlebell this time), and the hammer toss.  I like the stone put.  I did it again this morning and I get about 5 paces per throw.  I'm not sure if that's good, but it feels good.  The weight for height I'm pretty sure I'm awful at.  I think I'm getting maybe 7 feet.  The hammer toss I've decided that my mace (while still a mace and therefore awesome) is probably an awful training tool because the grip is so wide.  I'm curious how I'd do with a narrower (read, easier to grasp) hammer.  I'm thinking about rigging something up with a golf club or some such.  For the caber I'm just doing weird presses with my kettlebell. +2

2 – Stay strong to fight off your challengers: I got 4 out of 5 workouts in this week.  I put forth the extra effort to do one in the evening because of the rain Tuesday morning so I'm still giving myself full credit.  +2

3 – CHARGE!: I got close despite kicking a chunk of metal last Saturday and jamming my toe.  I had trouble with my long run and I'm not sure why, but I was just plain out of energy 4k before I was supposed to stop.  I still feel good.  +2

4 – Shameless cash grab:  Did nutrition calculations as part of making the grocery list and tracked my nutrition. Plus, I updated a few nutritional values and I'm more accurate with what I'm eating.  +2

My Battle Log 

On 1/30/2017 at 8:02 AM, Mike_d85 said:

I'm thinking about rigging something up with a golf club or some such. 

Hmm, I'm torn between "way to work with what you have" and "that sounds like an accident waiting to happen."  Will you be using your own mace on "game day" or one provided? Is the rigging temporary or something you plan to do long term? Do your finances allow for you to "trade in" for a mace with a narrower handle? I'm sure thats a pretty specialized piece of equipment.

Congratulations on doing so well with your goals. 

15 hours ago, Scatterbunn said:

Hmm, I'm torn between "way to work with what you have" and "that sounds like an accident waiting to happen."  Will you be using your own mace on "game day" or one provided? Is the rigging temporary or something you plan to do long term? Do your finances allow for you to "trade in" for a mace with a narrower handle? I'm sure thats a pretty specialized piece of equipment.

Congratulations on doing so well with your goals. 

I was thinking more of a do one or two throws for the sake of knowing how far I can throw. 

Looking closely I was under-guestimating the size of the hammer handle.  A golf club would be far too thin.  Here is the macebell I bought:

3.png?v=1473374409

Fun fact, holding the macebell actually makes you put your hair in a man-bun.  It's not optional.  It's about like hold a large flashlight like the police or security guards carry.  You can grip it comfortably, but your hand is very open doing so.

This is someone gripping a hammer:

glenfinnan-highland-games_8870_600x450.j

The grip is much tighter than what I can do on my macebell, but it isn't narrow as a golf club either.  Closer to say... a baseball bat.  I think if someone were really going to pursue this seriously (which I don't plan on) then they would have to actually get a hammer (~$150) or make something from scratch (~$??).

My Battle Log 

After all that yammering yesterday I had a really good day doing the hammer toss with the macebell.  I was averaging about 8 or 9 paces.  Easily double most of my throws before.  Up until the snow soaked into the mace and made it too cold to hold.

I guess that blowing on my hands to keep them warm got them a little sticky? *shrug*

My Battle Log 

Final Update:

1 – Learn the ways of the Highlander: Let's go back to my original list and see what I've gotten done: "This means I need to work on the weight for distance, the weight for height, the hammer throw, the stone put, the sheaf toss, and the mighty caber toss"  So I worked on: weight for distance, weight for height, the hammer throw, the stone put (turns out there are two: I've been doing the Braemar form and an open stone weight I think), and did exercises for the caber toss.  I have not worked on the sheaf toss because I haven't quite worked out how.  I think I'll try doing something with the mace bell later to work the muscle groups but I think I need farm implements and a lot of space to really attempt it.  I've watched some games and I'm nowhere close to competitive, but I think I might give one a try this summer if I have the money and opportunity at the same time.  Lots of other irons in the fire though. 

+1 for week 4 (I didn't try anything new).  Total 4 of a possible 8.  Doesn't sound great but after being sick a 6 was all I could have managed regardless.

2 – Stay strong to fight off your challengers: I did keep up a weight lifting regiment with the kettlebell, macebell and throwing weight.  The logistics of taking the dumbbells with me never worked out.  I need to ask a rucking expert about packing weight into the bag.

+2 for this week.  Total 5 of a possible 8.

3 – CHARGE!: I am on schedule except for a few slight mishaps that forced me to change my plans slightly (highlighted in orange on my sheet).  Plus, I just signed up for the Maine Coast Marathon on my birthday.

+2 this week.  Total 7 of 8.  I gave my self 1 point retro-actively since I did a long-ish run on week 1.

4 – Shameless cash grab:  I only properly planned one week properly, but got better about logging my nutrition again.  I need to get out of this rut and get more food in my gullet in the next few months.  No shrinking this time. 

+1 this week.  4 of 8.  Getting sick didn't prevent me from doing the planning either.

• Like 2

My Battle Log