Muir Takes His First Steps

MindsEye

Hi all, my first post here and my first challenge. :D

As it happens, the Wing Chun school near me is taking on beginners on Mon 9th January, coincides pretty nicely with the start of this challenge, huzzah for convenience!

Anywho, this challenge is more about trying things than committing to things, with that in mind it's broken down into 4 parts:

Wing Chun

3 levels to this:

1. Call and say i'll be attending the class.  Completed (03/01/17) <- I'm English, so that's 3rd of January :P

2. Actually Attend the Class

3. Attend all beginner's classes over the 4 week challenge.

Activity

This is primarily the trial and error portion of the challenge. The Wing Chun School only allows beginners to train 1 night a week for the first 6(?) weeks, after that you can train when you like.

So, it seems to me i'm going to need some supplementary activity, I have 3 Workout types in mind: yoga, bodyweight and free weights.

I'll be trying each of them out to see which I like best, each will be done for 1 week ( 3 workouts).

1. Perform 3 workouts in Bodyweight Training

2. Perform 3 workouts in Free Weight Training

3. Perform 3 workouts in Yoga.

Ranked in the order of likelihood i'll actually do them :D

Diet

I actually really rather enjoy healthy foods, i LOVE veggies, fresh fruit, meat and fish so my poor choices, diet-wise, tend to come from being too lazy to cook when I get home from work.

In this challenge, i'll be attempting to eliminate that problem by preparing meals in advance ^^

0. prepare 1 week's worth of meals Completed (02/01/17)

1. Prepare 2 week's worth of meals

2. Prepare 3 week's worth of meals

3. Prepare 4 week's worth of meals

Will likely be done on Sundays due to having more time and the looming threat of Mondays spurring me into some form of action or another.

Other

Stuff i've been meaning to do but haven't gotten around to, stuff will probably be added as I think of it.

1. Find a consistent conversation partner

I have a number of partners i message on a regular basis, but i'm looking to find someone I can actually speak to in Japanese once a week or so.

I have a Japanese friend I'll be Skype calling this weekend, must broach the subject of making it a more regular thing 

Hoping to stop lurking around the Monk forums and actually post stuff, the antithesis of my usual forum activity but hell, maybe that'll be another new thing I do :D 

wing chun.png

• Like 3

"One who knows nothing can understand nothing." - Ansem, Seeker of Darkness

Current Challenge

Nice.  That looks like a pretty well-defined challenge, and just about the right size.  Looking forward to seeing stuff get crossed off!

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Hey, welcome aboard. Looks like you've got a solid plan laid out in front of you.

Any idea why they only let beginners train one night a week to start? Seems weird to me, but then I got dragged into a group class as a total novice with people all up and down the skill spectrum, so it might be my Sifu who does things strangely :D 

My two years of experience in Kung Fu suggests to me that you'll likely get the most mileage out of bodyweight work, at least to start. You don't really need the major strength gains that free weights can give you right out of the gate--coordination, power control and kinetic understanding are way more important when you're starting out. That's not to say free weights are BAD by any means, but unless you've done lots of sports or other martial arts in the past, you'll probably get more out of the bodyweight training at first. Just my $0.02.

Best of luck, go get 'em!

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Hey, welcome, man! Always glad to see more Monks, and so excited to see that your first challenge looks so good!

If you don't mind another .02 on top of @Kyellan, if you want to do bodyweight work, it might not be bad to alternate those days with yoga days. It'd be an awful lot starting out of the gate, to be sure, but some people (like me!) tend to get a lot of benefit out of learning a daily practice-based approach. If you alternated calisthenics days with yoga days, you'd have a pretty formidable set up that would hopefully proof you against injuries and keep you healthy in addition to the strength and martial arts.

Anyway, just a thought. In the meantime, welcome again! T-minus some days until the challenge starts!

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone :D

So, SitRep..

Last week was a write off, work sucked as we've just moved to a new building and are having a few teething problems with the new tech, seems to have been mostly sorted today though. My meal plan for this week went to hell after getting a stomach bug from my sister, today's been the first day since Friday where i could even contemplate eating, sadface.

But enough moaning, I had my first Wing Chun class tonight and I LOVED IT. definitely another addition to the ever-expanding "Stuff I'm Glad I Did" list. Can't see any reason why I won't be going every week.

As for meal prep, I've not given up on this week, simply going to have to do it on a weeknight, rather than a weekend. Not ideal, but being adaptable is rarely (never?) bad :D 

Spoke to my language partner on Saturday, had about an hour long conversation, 50 - 50 ENG - JP, (she's learning English) I mentioned it's the kind of thing I'd like to do more often and she agreed, haven't set a regular time or anything though :P 

On 04/01/2017 at 1:12 PM, Kyellan said:

Any idea why they only let beginners train one night a week to start? Seems weird to me, but then I got dragged into a group class as a total novice with people all up and down the skill spectrum, so it might be my Sifu who does things strangely :D 

After tonight's class it seems that the Sifu want's to dedicate the full class to the beginners, he basically didn't interact with the current students at all for the full 90 minutes. He can't really do that multiple times per week without neglecting his other students, though :') 

On 04/01/2017 at 1:12 PM, Kyellan said:

My two years of experience in Kung Fu suggests to me that you'll likely get the most mileage out of bodyweight work, at least to start. You don't really need the major strength gains that free weights can give you right out of the gate--coordination, power control and kinetic understanding are way more important when you're starting out. That's not to say free weights are BAD by any means, but unless you've done lots of sports or other martial arts in the past, you'll probably get more out of the bodyweight training at first. Just my $0.02.

On 06/01/2017 at 7:40 PM, Kishi said:

If you don't mind another .02 on top of @Kyellan, if you want to do bodyweight work, it might not be bad to alternate those days with yoga days. It'd be an awful lot starting out of the gate, to be sure, but some people (like me!) tend to get a lot of benefit out of learning a daily practice-based approach. If you alternated calisthenics days with yoga days, you'd have a pretty formidable set up that would hopefully proof you against injuries and keep you healthy in addition to the strength and martial arts.

Thanks for the advice, guys! To be honest I was leaning more towards some combination of bodyweight and yoga so Kinshi, you've kinda read my mind on this. Having said that, I'm firmly of the belief that the best program is the one you're most likely to stick with ( and least likely to get injured with).  So i figured i'd play around with different workout types to see what i enjoy doing the most. I feel like I already know the answer, but no harm in trying. 

Thanks again for the welcomes guys, looking forward to blowing this challenge out of the water.. or harpooning it... or uhh.. this metaphor's gotten away from me slightly.

• Like 2

"One who knows nothing can understand nothing." - Ansem, Seeker of Darkness

Current Challenge

51 minutes ago, Minimuir said:

But enough moaning, I had my first Wing Chun class tonight and I LOVED IT. definitely another addition to the ever-expanding "Stuff I'm Glad I Did" list. Can't see any reason why I won't be going every week.

As for meal prep, I've not given up on this week, simply going to have to do it on a weeknight, rather than a weekend. Not ideal, but being adaptable is rarely (never?) bad :D 

After tonight's class it seems that the Sifu want's to dedicate the full class to the beginners, he basically didn't interact with the current students at all for the full 90 minutes. He can't really do that multiple times per week without neglecting his other students, though :') 

tly.

Glad the Wing Chun went well! I could see if he wants to focus on the new people only allowing you to come once a week for the first few weeks. But that sounds great that you get some more individual time (hopefully) with him. 

Meal prep during the week can be hard, but totally doable. If you get a chance I've found it helpful to have a few frozen back ups just in case it ends up being a day later than planned. I tend to keep frozen hamburgers because of it being easy to cook (since you can cook them from frozen) and also keep some frozen veggies. 

looking forward to seeing the next few weeks!

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

It is a solid start and I wish you a lot of successes with your different objectives.

9 hours ago, Minimuir said:

I think this is a good way to start a new martial art, but then he could also do the opposite and let you attend an advanced class without specifically focusing his attention on you.

At my dojo, we regularly have incoming beginners that want to try/see what we are doing. When this is the case, we generally do some special lesson where we work on basics and do lots of different things to get a fuller picture of the art. This is always a good opportunity for everyone to revise basic movements and techniques, it never hurts :-)

I'm running late, but wanted to stop by and say hi and welcome! (Not shocking that Kishi beat me to it.  You'll find that he has a TARDIS and manages to be everywhere all the time always.)

Nice challenge, and I'm glad you have a solid plan for getting things done.  Are you really aiming to get 4 weeks of food prepped at once?  That's incredibly if you can pull it off.  I want to know how you're managing your storage space!  And the recipes.  I've always been a bit worried about what freezes well, and what I can meal prep well ahead of time.  

Anyway, welcome again!  hope the official first week has been treating you well!

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

How's the Wing Chun going?  That sounded great.

On 1/12/2017 at 10:15 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

Are you really aiming to get 4 weeks of food prepped at once?  That's incredibly if you can pull it off.  I want to know how you're managing your storage space!  And the recipes.  

I'm guessing he means "week 4's meals" rather than four weeks of meals, but I did recently stumble across a website geared at exactly that.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23